PDA

View Full Version : Kilkenny Roots Festival

IsMiseSean
26/04/2005, 10:22 PM
Anyone making the trip to Kilkenny this weekend for the festival?
There are some great artists playing there this year, Son Volt and The Waifs are two fantastic bands

Anyone going to suprise me and be interested in this style of music?

Bluesky
27/04/2005, 9:56 AM
when is it? anybody else playing?

I have 2 waifs CDs which are excellent

IsMiseSean
27/04/2005, 10:00 PM
Its on this weekend. The Waifs are playing twice, Saturday at 4pm (sold out) and Sunday night with Ray Lamontagne at 8pm.

Check out www.kilkennyroots.com for full listings

Bluesky
28/04/2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the update but going away on saturday

the 4pm would have been excellent-would have made a great first concert for my 10 year old who loves the "up all night" album

Wouldn't be too bothered about the rockabillilly type stuff but the cajun/zydeco music should be interesting

I always think its strange that the English/Scottish folk music is ignored over here as some of it is outstanding-mind you some of it isn't.

ken foree
28/04/2005, 12:21 PM
I always think its strange that the English/Scottish folk music is ignored over here as some of it is outstanding-mind you some of it isn't.

bit of a penchant for some of the english stuff meself :o , fairport convention and incredible string band are great any time i hear them

then there's the might of horslips.

saw that ray la montagne at an in-store appearance here and his voice was something. lyrics coulda been better but the melodies were there and his bass player was simply :eek:

never listened to son volt but liked whatever i've heard of u. tupelo and some jayhawks is very very good. sounds like a great f*ckin festival!

IsMiseSean
28/04/2005, 9:57 PM
If you've never heard Son Volt go out and buy Trace their debut album. One of Jay Farrar's best songs is on that album 'Windfall'