PDA

View Full Version : The penny drops

Petmuller
26/04/2005, 9:38 PM
While watching the game on telly between PSV and AC my mind wasn't far from the showgrounds. I watch both sides as they moved the ball about and just wondered would they be capable of playing that type of football on the showgrounds surface. In fairness to Rovers they do try to get the ball down and play a bit, ask anyone that has been in Terryland, Tolka, St. Coleman's. Then the taught struck me - these are all away games :confused:
Rovers have played all their best games away from home.
Then I remembered being told that should we ever qualify for the Premier Division our pitch will have to be brought up to the regulation size?
Our pitch presently is nine mitres shorter than what the EUFA Licencing dictates. That's by my reckoning nearly forthy feet :eek:
We are trying to play open constructive football on a postage stamp!!!
No wonder the likes of Limerick and Monaghan can come over and pin us back. Our pitch is ideal for the long ball pundates.
We're on a hiding to nothing and it's our own fault.
I made a phonecall and there's no plans in the immediate future to extend the playing surface, it seems the floodlights have to be moved (again), the ones at either end of the new stand.

Da Real Rover
27/04/2005, 8:36 AM
akeirins made a similar point about the playing surface but the fact that were playing on a shorter than standard pitch is absolutely ridiculous when we have two fast wide men. Even in junior sides the pitches are often made to match the style of play which bests suits the team. But the board probably have there hands full with all the other stadium developments going on.

Terry
27/04/2005, 9:38 AM
Since the pitch has to be expanded, could this be a reason for the shed not opening? Is the pitch lengthing in that direction which would mean the destruction of the shed completely?

Da Real Rover
27/04/2005, 4:14 PM
No, thats got nothing to do with the shed. Theres some 'structural damage' or something like that to do with the shed.

Redzer
28/04/2005, 12:27 PM
the pitch isn't 40 feet short. it could do with bout 10 feet extra width

I thought the pitch was widened during the closed season.