PDA

View Full Version : Worst ever City eleven?

TommyGaynor
26/04/2005, 7:25 PM
Often on here I see best ever City XI's but haven't come across a worst ever side. I first started going in 1990 so please forgive any omissions from before that time but here is my selection:

1. Capleton
2. Trevor O'Brien
3. We've always had good LBs
4. Hague
5. Carr
6. Wimbleton
7. Shaw
8. Liam O'Brien
9. Dobbs
10.Iorfa
11.Summerbell

Subs:
The four Bulgarians
Brooking
O'Connell
Jody Jody what's the score?

Manager: Colin Murphy

yiddo
26/04/2005, 8:12 PM
Tommy don't be so modest ;) you're in instead of Dobbs!

TommyGaynor
26/04/2005, 8:18 PM
I had a feeling my username would come back to bite me in the arse tbh! I always had a soft spot for him for some reason, remember him getting two good goals in a 3-1 win at home to Pats just before Rico resigned, Gareth got the other from a free in front of the Shed

yiddo
26/04/2005, 8:27 PM
I had a feeling my username would come back to bite me in the arse tbh! I always had a soft spot for him for some reason, remember him getting two good goals in a 3-1 win at home to Pats just before Rico resigned, Gareth got the other from a free in front of the Shed

In fairness Tommy you weren't the worst ;) . But Dobbsie also got a few cracking goals so I wouldn't put him in! One of the worst ever forwards was a small Scotish guy who played a few games in 92? I think. He was so crap I can't even remember his name!

TommyGaynor
26/04/2005, 8:28 PM
I can never remember his name either, he came on loan around Jan or Feb of that season, didn't he? Was it Dave something or other?

pete
26/04/2005, 10:00 PM
Paul Hague was a legend.

:D

paudie
27/04/2005, 9:30 AM

I think Gaynor was one of the most skilful players to ever play for City. Had a good goalscoring record as well. Lazy as sin though.

joey B
27/04/2005, 9:32 AM
Wee question for city fans how did James Mulligan play for you while he was there?

Jim Smith
27/04/2005, 10:06 AM
Wee question for city fans how did James Mulligan play for you while he was there?
Spent most of his time in an off-side position from what I can remember :eek:

Seriously, I wasn't that impressed but I think that was more to do with the role that he played. He seemed much more dangerous when he was playing against us. I suspect that he would have been better attacking from the midfield and running with the ball than upfront having high balls lobbed at him. Although I believe he was fairly handy with his head on a certain away European tie :D

daveh
27/04/2005, 3:14 PM
dont think we'll ever forget his winner against rovers a few years back,when we went 2-0 down and won 3-2. That was one of the best atmospheres at the cross ive ever been part of.

Jim Smith
27/04/2005, 3:30 PM
I was way too harsh on him really. What I meant was that I don't think he was played to the best of his abilities in Cork. I used to hate the sight of him before he signed for us. High balls into someone of his size was just plain daft. That Rovers game was just pure magic..... :D

TommyGaynor
27/04/2005, 3:37 PM
Does anyone have any other contenders for positions on the Worst XI, esp a left-back? And can anyone remember that Scottish lad's name?

ollie
27/04/2005, 3:47 PM
put jason kabia in the team as well.probably noel hartigoal as well.

SÓC
28/04/2005, 12:27 PM
How can you leave out Steve Gaughan?!?

Hitman
28/04/2005, 12:58 PM
Surely Robbie Hedderman is a contender for the left-back spot?

ollie
28/04/2005, 1:01 PM

god yeah , big ears :D

Éanna
28/04/2005, 1:53 PM
because he wasn't as bad as some people wanted to make out? Gaughan wasn't the worst player city have had, he wasn't even the worst in the team at the time- people just got on his back from the start. He played very well away from home

thecorner
28/04/2005, 6:08 PM
no sign of len downey yet????

GavinZac
29/04/2005, 12:22 PM
put jason kabia in the team as well.

blasphemy

ooooooh aaaaaaaaaaah jason kabia!

micky buckleys debut was terrible :D

razor
29/04/2005, 12:26 PM
put jason kabia in the team as well.probably noel hartigoal as well.Before you slag these players off, cast your mind back to April 4th 1998 when both of these lads combined superbly in the demolition of Athlone in the Cup semi final, Hartigan getting the opener and Kabia then getting 2. People have short memories.

GavinZac
29/04/2005, 12:30 PM
Before you slag these players off, cast your mind back to April 4th 1998 when both of these lads combined superbly in the demolition of Athlone in the Cup semi final, Hartigan getting the opener and Kabia then getting 2. People have short memories.

i have it on .mpg if anyone wants it :D

ollie
29/04/2005, 2:11 PM
Before you slag these players off, cast your mind back to April 4th 1998 when both of these lads combined superbly in the demolition of Athlone in the Cup semi final, Hartigan getting the opener and Kabia then getting 2. People have short memories.

yeah the mighty athlone. :eek:

i know what you mean but for the vast majority of the times i've seen dem in city shirts they haven't impresesed me even though kabia seemed to be a fan's favourite when he first came.goals dried up big time from then on.
hartigan when he was up front, didn't seem to even try had.He was very frustrating to watch.i suppose gunther sticking with him was the most frustrating.

Shelsman
29/04/2005, 4:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Summerbell get 3 goals in 4 games ( from midfield at that ) in his loan spell. He went on to play 28 games for Middlesborough, scoring 2 goals.

http://www.mfc1986.co.uk/footydb/loadpcrr.asp?pid=7062

He seems to be unattached at the moment -any takers?

eddieohalloran
29/04/2005, 10:11 PM
If you are the Tommy Gaynor that played for City, Forest, Limerick, Rovers to name the ones I know then you were a class act and would certainly push for to be in the best City 11 not the worst. To be fair City have signed some incredibly poor players but more recent managers have got their act together, and there is a really decent squad of players up there. All they need to do is get a few home wins and you guys will win the league. You have a great club up there, support is second to none and a great stadium.

Great result tonight, hopefully the home wins will come.

Don't forget to support us down the road, the league could do with a couple of Cork Derby's during the season

TommyGaynor
29/04/2005, 10:14 PM
Well I'm not the actual Tommy Gaynor, as the song goes, this is just a tribute. I'll actually be going to see Ramblers play away to Limerick in a fortnight, as I'm in UL and will be staying up during the exams

thecorner
29/04/2005, 10:44 PM
If you are the Tommy Gaynor that played for City, Forest, Limerick, Rovers to name the ones I know then you were a class act and would certainly push for to be in the best City 11 not the worst. To be fair City have signed some incredibly poor players but more recent managers have got their act together, and there is a really decent squad of players up there. All they need to do is get a few home wins and you guys will win the league. You have a great club up there, support is second to none and a great stadium.

Great result tonight, hopefully the home wins will come.

Don't forget to support us down the road, the league could do with a couple of Cork Derby's during the season

question now is.........is this the real eddie o halloran????

pete
30/04/2005, 10:49 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Summerbell get 3 goals in 4 games ( from midfield at that ) in his loan spell. He went on to play 28 games for Middlesborough, scoring 2 goals.

Most people who saw him play at the cross couldn't understand how could cut it in the English Premiership. was a spectator at the cross but maybe in hindsight he spent too much time watching the ball glide past his head.

eddieohalloran
30/04/2005, 11:50 AM
question now is.........is this the real eddie o halloran????
Yes for my sins!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

thecorner
30/04/2005, 12:04 PM
Yes for my sins!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

legend on foot.ie ;)