PDA

View Full Version : 2030 FIFA World Cup Ireland/UK Joint Bid

Pages : [1] 2

NeverFeltBetter
05/06/2019, 3:17 PM
Did we have a thread on this? Always seemed very fanciful idea to me (English trying to get round their unpopularity by framing a bid as an historic cooperation) but regardless, looks to be stillborn: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0605/1053628-british-irish-2030-bid-in-doubt-amid-china-speculation/

It would require all of UEFA's support (so it would have to be the only bid from UEFA), and it looks like FIFA are lining things up for PR China anyway. Had to laugh at this part especially, emphasis mine:

But speaking to reporters in Paris after his unopposed re-election as FIFA boss, Infantino confirmed the rumours that have been circulating in recent months: the regulations for 2030 could be ripped up, paving the way for a blockbuster bid from China.

Asked for an update on the rules and timeline for the bidding process, the Swiss-Italian said: "I don't know because these decisions are taken by (FIFA's ruling) council and we will discuss this at our next meeting in October, which is in Shanghai.

Edit: Honestly, think how Euro 2020 goes will be very telling. If it is a success, why couldn't UEFA make a continental bid for the tournament?

seanfhear
05/06/2019, 3:51 PM
Did we have a thread on this? Always seemed very fanciful idea to me (English trying to get round their unpopularity by framing a bid as an historic cooperation) but regardless, looks to be stillborn: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0605/1053628-british-irish-2030-bid-in-doubt-amid-china-speculation/

It would require all of UEFA's support (so it would have to be the only bid from UEFA), and it looks like FIFA are lining things up for PR China anyway. Had to laugh at this part especially, emphasis mine:

Edit: Honestly, think how Euro 2020 goes will be very telling. If it is a success, why couldn't UEFA make a continental bid for the tournament?
FIFA should never have crossed the Americans by giving the World cups to Russia and Qatar and then being stupid enough to do some of their Financial (dodgy ) Transactions through America .

Fook with the Americans and be that stupid and you get fooked by the Americans .

Kingdom
05/06/2019, 4:23 PM
So, the 2026 is going to MEXCANUSA, and I know there is the potential romantic story of Argentina and Uruguay hosting the centenary championship (possibily with Paraguay tagged in). Personally, I'd prefer that option. Then let it pave the way for a United/Ireland bid in 2034.

pineapple stu
05/06/2019, 4:27 PM
Qualification would be a nightmare. It's just about doable with 24 qualifiers, and even that means that some hosts won't qualify. With what - 16? - European countries in the expanded World Cup, you'd have even more missing out, and even more daft draw rules

NeverFeltBetter
02/12/2019, 9:59 AM
Planning for this "ramping up": https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/1202/1096417-mooney-irish-british-world-cup-2030-bid-credible/

Idea seems to be England to do most of the hosting, with Cardiff, Glasgow and Dublin (Aviva and Croke Park) also involved (no mention of the north, because I suppose one of the positives of such a bid is that the stadiums are ready to go).

Still seems fanciful to me. I can't help but think it would be England's World Cup with the neighbours just helping out a bit for appearances sake. And there are other bids that will be more attractive to FIFA, be it the "centenary" option or, more likely, China PR once they get the pesky rules changed.

seanfhear
02/12/2019, 10:01 AM
How big of a Joint have the FAI been smoking !

Anyone that would get into a deal / or bed with the FAI would need their head examined !

pineapple stu
02/12/2019, 12:35 PM
You'd wonder how much of it is a smokescreen for other issues...

Eirambler
02/12/2019, 4:36 PM
This looks like it will be going to China. The FA would probably be better accepting that and going for 2034. Not convinced the South American bit would go far, those countries probably don't have the financial backing to host a 48 team tournament so a UK+I bid might be a goer at some point.

I take it we'd qualify automatically as hosts? Would NI also qualify even though they wouldn't host any games?

DeLorean
02/12/2019, 4:52 PM
I take it we'd qualify automatically as hosts? Would NI also qualify even though they wouldn't host any games?

They'll be doing well to still exist.

TonyD
06/12/2019, 6:21 PM
How big of a Joint have the FAI been smoking !

Anyone that would get into a deal / or bed with the FAI would need their head examined !

Indeed. I don't know why England can't go for a solo bid. They've easily got the stadia. More than enough. Look at London alone, Wembley, Emirates, Spurs stadium, West Ham (Olympic stadium).

Eirambler
06/12/2019, 7:23 PM
The criteria seem to be all stadiums having a capacity of at least 40,000 and no more than three stadiums in one city to be used.

Based on those requirements England can't host it by themselves as things stand. Obviously they could upgrade stadiums around the country to the required size though.

seanfhear
07/12/2019, 7:56 AM
The criteria seem to be all stadiums having a capacity of at least 40,000 and no more than three stadiums in one city to be used.

Based on those requirements England can't host it by themselves as things stand. Obviously they could upgrade stadiums around the country to the required size though.
How many stadiums do you need ?

Eirambler
07/12/2019, 2:56 PM
USA/Canada/Mexico are using 16.

SkStu
07/12/2019, 3:03 PM
USA/Canada/Mexico are using 16.

Based on the criteria you’ve shared, England only has 10 stadium options.

London x 3
Manchester x 2
Liverpool x 2
North East x 2
Birmingham x 1

They’d have 3 more in Scotland and 1 in Wales.

Eirambler
07/12/2019, 6:39 PM
Yes, throw in the two in Dublin and that's your 16. Although I'm not sure if they'd use both Liverpool stadiums given they are only half a mile apart.

seanfhear
07/12/2019, 9:14 PM
Yes, throw in the two in Dublin and that's your 16. Although I'm not sure if they'd use both Liverpool stadiums given they are only half a mile apart.
The games would not have to be played at the same time in those stadiums half a mile apart .

Diggs246
10/12/2019, 11:25 AM
the brits would need to be on crack cociane to let the FAI join their bid

DeLorean
10/12/2019, 1:18 PM

These were the proposed venues (x15) for their failed 2018/2022 bid - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_2018_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Venues

Couple of mad ones there with Milton Keynes & Plymouth!

The bid deserved to fail for their logo alone.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/England_2018.svg/300px-England_2018.svg.png

NeverFeltBetter
02/03/2021, 7:40 AM
Back in the news today, with the government announcing a feasibility study: https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0301/1200283-fifa-2030-bid/

I mean, we'd be hosting a handful of game in two stadiums at most. I don't know if feasibility is in question. The attractiveness of the bid next to the South American or Eastern European equivalents is, not to mention the possibility of China being an option.

Eirambler
02/03/2021, 8:30 AM
I'd imagine this can be filed with Boris Island and the tunnel from Scotland to Ireland as more PR nonsense from the UK government.

If they were serious about actually winning it they'd go for 2034, there are too many reasons for FIFA to go elsewhere for 2030.

Put it alongside Scotland/Ireland Euro 2008 and the Irish 2023 RWC as things that sound great but didn't/won't actually happen.

pineapple stu
02/03/2021, 10:28 AM
To be honest, I don't think this is where the FAI's focus should be at the moment.

I know it's high profile, and I guess if they were asked it'd be rude not to join in (though what could we really offer), but to me it's very much the wrong signal for a new CEO to be sending out.

How much money do you even make off hosting a World Cup once FIFA siphon everything away?

NeverFeltBetter
02/03/2021, 11:54 AM
Definitely not much, if any. It's pure prestige-hunting. Not opposed to it really as I think any Irish involvement would be minimal, probably something like we were supposed to be doing for EURO 2020, but we shouldn't make it something that it isn't.

Diggs246
02/03/2021, 12:08 PM
Zero chance they hand over 5 automatic qualification spots

As we all know European spots are gold dust

backstothewall
02/03/2021, 12:48 PM
Mad idea. It would hopefully only be 4 automatic spots required by the time 2030 comes around, but even so.

A joint bid with the IFA for the U21 or Senior Women's version would be much better suited to both our needs. That would be a springboard to bringing 8 or 10 stadiums in the country up to standard.

This is Walter Mitty stuff.

NeverFeltBetter
02/03/2021, 1:22 PM
Zero chance they hand over 5 automatic qualification spots

As we all know European spots are gold dust

Absolutely not, even with a 48 team tournament.

Eirambler
02/03/2021, 2:34 PM
Well the North presumably wouldn't be getting one anyway, as they wouldn't be hosting any games. Even then though it would be a stretch to give four host places to the other four countries. More likely England would be given an automatic place and the rest would have to qualify.

Even though I don't think there's any realistic chance of us hosting this tournament, it would be interesting to see how something like that would be handled as part of the bid. If England were to be given a host spot and the others not given one, public support for the bid in Ireland, Scotland and Wales could be lost fairly quickly.

NeverFeltBetter
02/03/2021, 3:50 PM
Well the North presumably wouldn't be getting one anyway, as they wouldn't be hosting any games.

If the possibility of hosting World Cup games couldn't get Casement done, I don't know what would.

Razors left peg
02/03/2021, 5:22 PM
Indeed. I don't know why England can't go for a solo bid. They've easily got the stadia. More than enough. Look at London alone, Wembley, Emirates, Spurs stadium, West Ham (Olympic stadium).

I asked that question to my mate yesterday and he said that FIFA are all about giving the opportunity to new countries to host it so having Ireland attached to the UK bid could strengthen it. Interesting angle that I hadnt thought about but probably makes sense

backstothewall
02/03/2021, 6:09 PM
If it's Europe's turn can't we just have it in France. The weather there in the summer is usually is good without being ridiculously hot, and it's handy enough for most people to get to.

Just a nice regular World Cup held in one country during the summer.

Diggs246
02/03/2021, 6:20 PM
If it's Europe's turn can't we just have it in France. The weather there in the summer is usually is good without being ridiculously hot, and it's handy enough for most people to get to.

Wexford so!

backstothewall
02/03/2021, 6:23 PM
Wexford so!

Grand job. Semi-Finals in New Ross and Enniscorthy. Final in Wexford town.

Gorey won't be happy about being overlooked, so best give them a quarter final & the opening ceremony.

pineapple stu
02/03/2021, 6:34 PM
And Termonbarry gets what...?

Fixer82
02/03/2021, 6:39 PM
Taghmon left out as usual

Diggs246
02/03/2021, 7:08 PM
Russians and English fans arrive to fight each other in courtown, only to be given a hiding by the locals

pineapple stu
02/03/2021, 7:14 PM
Ah Courtown's nice, especially out of season when the Dubs aren't around.

Riverchapel, now. Wouldn't find the Russians venturing in there.

backstothewall
02/03/2021, 7:46 PM
I'd say keep the English in Rosslare. That way if there's any trouble out of them the Garda can beat them onto a ferry and we get shot of them without too much difficulty.

Diggs246
02/03/2021, 7:57 PM
In a protest against the FAI we could all lob strawberries on the pitch mid match

seanfhear
02/03/2021, 7:58 PM

And just a short jaunt for the Germans.

geysir
02/03/2021, 8:38 PM
I think once someone mentions 'feasability study' in government circles, gleefully the wheels of cronyism are automatically set into motion, whereas every other wheel seems to move at glacial pace.

punkrocket
03/03/2021, 4:15 PM
Good discussion here. So what about hosting an “all islands” World Cup tournament (with up to 12 games in Ireland)? – Slugger O'Toole (https://sluggerotoole.com/2021/03/03/so-what-about-hosting-an-all-islands-world-cup-tournament-with-up-to-12-games-in-ireland/)

On the feasibility of sticking seats on terracing does anyone know anything about the reduction ratio is likely to be per thousand standing?

pineapple stu
03/03/2021, 4:32 PM
Lansdowne Road had capacity of 49k with terracing (half seated) and that reduced to 35k for competitive football games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdowne_Road).

So 24k terrace places reduced down to 10k seats.

seanfhear
03/03/2021, 5:04 PM
Will there be only One Team in Ireland by then ?

geysir
03/03/2021, 5:21 PM
Should it transpire and Ireland qualify on merit, one ideal group would be with Brazil, Mexico and Japan.
Brazilians and Mexicans in carnival mode day and night, we join in of course and the Japanese tidy up afterwards.

punkrocket
03/03/2021, 5:48 PM
Lansdowne Road had capacity of 49k with terracing (half seated) and that reduced to 35k for competitive football games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdowne_Road).

So 24k terrace places reduced down to 10k seats.

About 2 and a half times fewer for the old LR, maybe less wastage these days with better design.

John83
03/03/2021, 6:18 PM
About 2 and a half times fewer for the old LR, maybe less wastage these days with better design.
Optimist!

NeverFeltBetter
03/03/2021, 6:59 PM
12 games in Ireland, would the two Dublin stadiums support that? Or would they have to look elsewhere? You'd presume Pairc Ui Chaoimh, with seats put in, would be first on the list because of its urban setting and transport links (over, say, FitzGerald Park). All a bit pie in the sky all the same.

ColourfulPeanut
03/03/2021, 8:36 PM
Pairc Uí Chaoimh would be too small without redevelopment. Needs to be 40,000 all seater at a minimum and its only 45,000 with the terraces.

Would have to be the two Dublin stadiums only I'd guess. They're far enough apart and well connected for it to be OK I think.

sidewayspasser
04/03/2021, 7:50 AM
Pairc Uí Chaoimh would be too small without redevelopment. Needs to be 40,000 all seater at a minimum and its only 45,000 with the terraces.
I can see it being upgraded to an all-seater, and when the World Cup is over, the GAA closes it for "foreign sports" again. So the GAA would get a free upgrade paid by football money, and then it can't be used for football afterwards.

nigel-harps1954
04/03/2021, 11:21 AM
The GAA can f*ck off.

The World Cup bid can f*ck off.

Sort out football in Ireland before throwing silly money at a vanity project that will have no positive effects on the game here.

seanfhear
07/03/2021, 6:02 PM
The GAA can f*ck off.

The World Cup bid can f*ck off.

Sort out football in Ireland before throwing silly money at a vanity project that will have no positive effects on the game here.
Unless Boris builds a Few Tunnels to Ireland and one around Ireland ~ ~ Why would we play ball ?