PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League Weekly on far too late

Pages : [1] 2

ThatGuy
26/04/2005, 8:24 AM
11.25 - 11.55 was bad enough, but ten to twelve is taking the ****.

Far too late. Nobody who has to get up the following morning wants to stay up that late watching television.

It should be on early enough for kids to watch too.

OneRedArmy
26/04/2005, 8:31 AM
I missed it this week as I couldn't be bothered to stay up.

So did it continue its downward spiral?

I expect the studio collapsed around them mid-way through the show and due to the unavailability of footage they took to sketching out what the goals looked like and then talked about Kinger's ridiculous dress sense to pad out the remaining 15 minutes (note: wearing cartoon ties stops being cool when you are 16).

It reminds me more and more of those American cable access shows popular in the US in the 90's, a la Waynes World, that people made in their basement on a shoestring budget.

Poor Student
26/04/2005, 10:39 AM
Apart from the time it wasn't the worst. Highlights of all the Premier games except for Bray v Waterford and interviews with some of the managers. Also goals from Dub City v Cobh and Sligo v Monaghan. The time is just ridiculous though.

Ruairi
26/04/2005, 10:48 AM
yeah it wasnt bad to be fiar, although i turned it off after the city highlights.. funny to see the lads taking the p!ss outta their former colleague Rico.. made me chuckle i have to say...

crc
26/04/2005, 11:25 AM
Having it on at close to mid-night is ridiculous, but what about the fact that its on Monday night, three days after most of the games?
Could it not be broadcast on Sunday morning or evening.

Having it on Monday night is probably so they don't have to pay their editors to come in over the weekend :mad: , but I'm sure audience figures would make it worthwhile if it was on at a decent time on Sunday, rather at a time when only die-hards who don't have to get up in the morning watch it!

Poor Student
26/04/2005, 11:29 AM
yeah it wasnt bad to be fiar, although i turned it off after the city highlights.. funny to see the lads taking the p!ss outta their former colleague Rico.. made me chuckle i have to say...

Lol true, Rico does seem to be feeling the heat though. He didn't even say anythingto make me reach for the dictionary. :eek: Pity though, if it could be extended to an hour to include all the goals from all divisions (not necessarily too much longer individual highlights, though they could retrospectively stretch out the more exciting games), interviews from all the managers, perhaps a 5 minute weekly feature on a club, or perhaps an historical thing and add a third panelist someone like Dolan who is a bit more articulate than the other two and stick it on a few hours earlier it could do the league justice without overhyping it.

Poor Student
26/04/2005, 11:31 AM
Having it on at close to mid-night is ridiculous, but what about the fact that its on Monday night, three days after most of the games?

Having it on Monday night is probably so they don't have to pay their editors to come in over the weekend :mad: , but I'm sure audience figures would make it worthwhile if it was on at a decent time on Sunday, rather at a time when only die-hards who don't have to get up in the morning watch it!

Does anyone have any idea what the viewership figures for it are?

NY Hoop
26/04/2005, 12:30 PM
No monday evening is the ideal night for it but at a reasonable hour. Maybe if enough people flood them with emails............

Also I still dont see the point of showing 2 first division games and not showing the Bray game. Even if they did show all the premier games no ponit showing 10 seconds from the first division. I would show the sligo games if they had the camera facing the main stand.

KOH

pineapple stu
26/04/2005, 12:33 PM
Also goals from Dub City v Cobh
Was it me, or did yer man in the voiceover for that game mention Michael Holt carving through the Galway defence? Shabby scripting if I wasn't imagining it.

I thought it was better than usual last night. But that might have had something to do with guiding Caersws to the top of the Welsh league in CM and only going in to watch the actual highlights instead of the waffle! :)

RTÉ's highlights show was on at 7:00 on Sunday evening - they got great figures (beat The Premiership, in fact). They also did a good job of it, but ultimately didn't care either.

fbtn
26/04/2005, 12:38 PM
It couldn't be on late enough for me at the minute.....another bloody OG. :(

Seriously though, with all the promises of live games and RTE and TnaG getting involved this year, I think that the coverage has went badly downhill since TV3 started doing their program.

holidaysong
26/04/2005, 2:26 PM
I just have to laugh at Noel King's Tweety Bird tie last night... :D

LFC in Exile
26/04/2005, 3:12 PM
I just have to laugh at Noel King's Tweety Bird tie last night... :D

Even funnier is Tweety Bird's Noel King tie. :)

Ringo
26/04/2005, 6:53 PM
Also I still dont see the point of showing 2 first division games and not showing the Bray game. Even if they did show all the premier games no ponit showing 10 seconds from the first division. I would show the sligo games if they had the camera facing the main stand.

KOH

They only show what they are given. The only reason they had the footage from Dublin City, is that Dublin City pay for it & give it to them. if Bray want it covered they have to pay for it.

colblimp
26/04/2005, 8:02 PM
Is it me or do we see the 'pundits' nattering more than we see the action? I'm gonna time it next week... :rolleyes:

Éanna
26/04/2005, 8:40 PM
Is it me or do we see the 'pundits' nattering more than we see the action? I'm gonna time it next week... :rolleyes:
i'd say you're right there! let us know your findings!

pete
26/04/2005, 10:01 PM
The reason its on so late now is so kids not exposed to Noel King.

:eek:

CollegeTillIDie
26/04/2005, 10:06 PM
I agree with all the posts regarding the timing of last nights show I fell asleep half way through. The repeat is at 5:50 a.m. on a Tuesday, just before the repeat of that crappy washing up liquid show Emmerdale!

ThatGuy
27/04/2005, 7:57 AM
As TV3 is a commercial station I don't know how viable it would be for them to show a minimal interest program like Eircom League Weekly. I think that Monday nights are ideal, but I would much prefer an earlier hour. I am sure that Will and Grace or whatever American sit-coms they show (and pay a lot for the rights to broadcast so want to get for use of them) pull in the viewers though.

As for the show itself, it should focus only on the Premier Division, like all the highlights programs for other countries (Match of the Day, La Liga, Football Italia etc).

harpskid
27/04/2005, 9:07 AM
As for the show itself, it should focus only on the Premier Division, like all the highlights programs for other countries (Match of the Day, La Liga, Football Italia etc).

If first division clubs are prepared to pay money to get their matches recorded and edited and sent to TV3 I don't think it fair that they get denied the chance for some exposure.

If your club was in the first division would you have the same attitude?

Grasshopper 99
27/04/2005, 9:31 AM
It always has been on too late, i emailed tem quite a few times asking for them to change the time, but they said there were not enough people looking at it for it too be moved. :mad: If they moved it to an earlier time then more people would look at it. :rolleyes:

bluemovie
27/04/2005, 10:29 AM
The reason its on so late now is so kids not exposed to Noel King.

:eek:

What's that about Noel King exposing himself to kids???

ThatGuy
27/04/2005, 12:35 PM
If first division clubs are prepared to pay money to get their matches recorded and edited and sent to TV3 I don't think it fair that they get denied the chance for some exposure.

If your club was in the first division would you have the same attitude?
"Fair". It's not a bloody charity. Football here has to stop thinking like it is a charity case. So many whinges and excuses blaming RTE, the GAA, the FAI etc. This isn't a charity and shouldn't be treated as such. Who cares if Div 1 teams send videos in?

I am sure that the BBC would really be helping out the likes of Wycombe Wanderers if they showed their games on Match of the Day. They won't though.

The First Division is a terrible product. Terrible teams, terrible football, and terrible support. I am sorry if that offends anyone, but it is true. If Bohs ever get relegated of course I would want to see them get coverage on the TV, eventhough we wouldn't deserve it.

The Premier Division on the other hand is a decent product, which should be marketted independently. The Premiership in England do this, they a reason in developping the "Premier League", and it has worked wonders for them. I wonder did the league here just change it's name because they did?

A highlights program should be fully dedicated to the single division, the Premier Division.

Ringo
27/04/2005, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=ThatGuy A highlights program should be fully dedicated to the single division, the Premier Division.[/QUOTE]

it probably would be ,if you paid for your own coverage. :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
27/04/2005, 12:49 PM
As TV3 is a commercial station I don't know how viable it would be for them to show a minimal interest program like Eircom League Weekly.

I'm sure someone here has the ratings but I'm led to believe EL Weekly pulls in a very healthy viewing figure every week despite it's rubbish time slot. God knows it's the only thing I watch on that rubbish station.

ThatGuy
27/04/2005, 1:21 PM
I'm sure someone here has the ratings but I'm led to believe EL Weekly pulls in a very healthy viewing figure every week despite it's rubbish time slot. God knows it's the only thing I watch on that rubbish station.
I meant to add "at an earlier hour" to that. Considering they could probably get more idiots to watch some brain dead american sit com.

joey B
03/05/2005, 9:44 AM
3 FECKING games,3 :mad: . Disgraceful coverage :mad:

Was it just me or did O'Callaghan have a wee jibe at the Cork fans.

De Town
03/05/2005, 10:09 AM
Was it just me or did O'Callaghan have a wee jibe at the Cork fans.
Yeah, I got that impression too :D

Maz
03/05/2005, 10:13 AM
I missed it, what happened?

De Town
03/05/2005, 11:43 AM
I missed it, what happened?
TV3 showed, Shels v Bray, Rovers v Cork and Drogs v Bohs. Plus the goal from Shels v Cork. Disgrace :mad:

As for O'Callaghan, he basically just said that the players find it easier to play away from home because they get to express themselves a bit more whereas at home if they dont score withing the first 20minutes, the crowd get on their backs and they feel under pressure.

bluemovie
03/05/2005, 11:47 AM
It was his version of Keano's prawn sandwiches rant....the home fans get on the team's back if they're not leading after 20 minutes...disrupts the players....away fans = real fans.

mypost
07/05/2005, 3:48 AM
I can only watch the 5.50 repeat on the Tuesday.

TV3 are an awful station. Their only Irish-based programmes are news, and sport shows in the studio. They have no foreign news correspondents. Apart from live games, they have no football commentators, everything is a voiceover. Every other programme on the station, is recycled/repeated British/American trash, that everyone's seen on other channels before. RTE are bad, but at least they make an effort. TV3 just buy shows from other countries, and show them all day, every day. I'm surprised they get any viewers at all. When Setanta start showing weekly highlights from the NL, then there will be a huge increase in NL coverage.

CollegeTillIDie
07/05/2005, 9:09 AM
Lol true, Rico does seem to be feeling the heat though. He didn't even say anythingto make me reach for the dictionary. :eek: Pity though, if it could be extended to an hour to include all the goals from all divisions (not necessarily too much longer individual highlights, though they could retrospectively stretch out the more exciting games), interviews from all the managers, perhaps a 5 minute weekly feature on a club, or perhaps an historical thing and add a third panelist someone like Dolan who is a bit more articulate than the other two and stick it on a few hours earlier it could do the league justice without overhyping it.

I know a program exactly like that and viewers of Chorus in Cork will know it too. It is called RAN it is on SAT 1 I think from Germany and is shown within one hour immediately after the games finish!
But you're right we need an Irish RAN even if it is shown a few days later !

CollegeTillIDie
07/05/2005, 9:14 AM
It always has been on too late, i emailed tem quite a few times asking for them to change the time, but they said there were not enough people looking at it for it too be moved. :mad: If they moved it to an earlier time then more people would look at it. :rolleyes:

If they showed it in the half-hour slot before News Tonight they would most likely quadruple their potential audience. One of the posters here watches the repeat at 5:50 a.m. on Tuesday. That was followed by a repeat of Emmerdale.
Question ... are any people sad enough to get up at 6:20 to watch a repeat of a soap opera? Why couldn't they show EL Weekly repeat at 6:20 or even 6:30. I for one would go to bed earlier on a Monday night and get up earlier on Tuesday to watch that instead.

P.S. and for the record I used one of those handy Weekend TV guide thingeys to research this post :D

CollegeTillIDie
07/05/2005, 9:57 AM
The First Division is a terrible product. Terrible teams, terrible football, and terrible support. I am sorry if that offends anyone, but it is true. If Bohs ever get relegated of course I would want to see them get coverage on the TV, eventhough we wouldn't deserve it.

The First Division does not have 12 terrible teams who play terrible football . It has a few but by no means all of them are terrible. And just because nobody goes to something doesn't make it intrinsically bad. There is the couldn't be arsed lazy batsard syndrome to consider, the fact that Irish sports fans are now EVENT ATTENDERS only by and large is another thing. And also the fact that some people will watch you every week in the Premier , but are almost snobbish about attending First Division fixtures... and as for the LSL .... :p

By the same token just because something packs the houses every week does not make it intrinsically good. Take Real Madrid for example... can't defend for toffee, are you going to tell me they are the best team in the World because 80,000 tulips go every week to the Bernabeu?

GavinZac
07/05/2005, 10:03 AM

you mention match of the day, which used to be one match a day, and now deals with 20 teams, and 2 highlights of foreign leagues where most of us couldnt name half of the lower division*.

*if it wasnt for football manager

GavinZac
07/05/2005, 10:15 AM
It was his version of Keano's prawn sandwiches rant....the home fans get on the team's back if they're not leading after 20 minutes...disrupts the players....away fans = real fans.

take everything george says witha pinch of salt. he can talk to two different people out of the two sides of his mouth.

Da Real Rover
07/05/2005, 12:19 PM

Alot of games we draw bigger crowds than many premier division clubs and we have one of the biggest support bases in Ireland. We also play some of the most attractive football along with Cobh and Dublin. I know that there are a few bad teams with little support in the first division but to brand all teams in the first division the same is just plane ignorance. If you bothered to find out about what you were talking about before you posted this you might realise that we are not all the same. So basically your post is plane bull****.

Schumi
07/05/2005, 12:48 PM
The First Division does not have 12 terrible teams who play terrible football.
Yeah, there's only 10. :D

NY Hoop
09/05/2005, 12:29 PM
Said it before only the premier should be shown. Anyway check out tonights show for 2 of the best goals you are ever likely to see from Pat McCourt. Genius..............

KOH

dcfcsteve
09/05/2005, 12:47 PM
The Premier Division on the other hand is a decent product, which should be marketted independently. The Premiership in England do this, they a reason in developping the "Premier League", and it has worked wonders for them. I wonder did the league here just change it's name because they did?

The League of Ireland Premier Division began in 1985 - 6 years before the English version, and about 15 years before the Irisah League introduced one. We therefore didn't copy the English in doing this. Sure -0 they probably copied us.... :p

In reality, I think we nicked the idea off od Scotland, who had a Premier division for a few years before we did.

I agree with everything else in your post though - we have to move-on from the idea that everyone owes Irish football a favour....

KR's Post
09/05/2005, 1:34 PM
Said it before only the premier should be shown. Anyway check out tonights show for 2 of the best goals you are ever likely to see from Pat McCourt. Genius..............

KOH
"Agree, but watch the Bray players step off and let him dance around them"!!!

A face
09/05/2005, 8:36 PM
What time is it no tonight ??

SPXcyan
09/05/2005, 9:50 PM
11:30 tonite.....a bit better time!!!!

dcfc_1928
10/05/2005, 7:26 AM
Did it start early last night?

I set the video to come on at 11.30 and I think I missed the start of the programme, as the recording starting towards the end of the Shels v Harps coverage?!?!

Of course, it is entirly possible that I mis-configured the VCR?!?!! ;)

KR's Post
10/05/2005, 8:24 AM
Did it start early last night?

I set the video to come on at 11.30 and I think I missed the start of the programme, as the recording starting towards the end of the Shels v Harps coverage?!?!

Of course, it is entirly possible that I mis-configured the VCR?!?!! ;)
No your right, i was watching the end of Trainspotting and at 11.27 switched it over to TV3 and They were showing Jamie Harris put Shels one up. I mean for f-uck sake, can they not get 1 thing right :confused: :mad:

kevincronin2000
10/05/2005, 9:08 AM
yeah i set the personal reminder on sky digital and when the reminder poped up the programme had already started.

A face
10/05/2005, 9:13 AM
personal reminder on sky digital

Whoooo .... a personal reminder none the less ...... whoooo !!
Aren't we the techno wizard !! :eek:

:p

septern
10/05/2005, 9:47 AM
did anyone see the eL highlights show on chorus last night?

(i was channel hopping so only got half of it) i watched high-lights of the city, shels + rovers games.
showed way more of each match that tv3, better commentary + no stupid 'punditry'.

hopefully, this will be a regular feature on chorus.
fair play to them!!!!!!

A face
10/05/2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah ... saw it .... extended highlights of each game, about 30 mins or so on each !!

Good feature for them .... great stuff !!

BohDiddley
10/05/2005, 11:31 AM
News to me. Who does it? Chorus or an independent outfit? And do you have to be on Culchie TV, sorry ;) Chorus, to see it?