PDA

View Full Version : TV3 - Eircom League Weekly

Petmuller
25/04/2005, 11:54 PM
Waited up to watch this program, what a waste of time!!
So I'm not from Dublin, I suppose that's the reason I'm not happy?
Rovers got all of fifteen seconds of air time, the guinness advert is longer :(
To think Rovers have to pay to get this exposurer, money well spent or what :rolleyes:
Now for my beauty sleep :)

BTW - the McCartney incident looked very serious. Didn't see it on Saturday, over the blue side you know, shame the ref missed it ... the elbow that is.

A face
26/04/2005, 12:42 AM
Rovers got all of fifteen seconds of air time, the guinness advert is longer :(

Ahh to be fair .... guinness has to settle and be poured again !! :p

Alright ... i am joking, dont flip out on me. Lads ... the thing is, are the fans rasing this issue with the club, are the club doing aything about it ... are they bringing it to the leagues attention, are they contacting other clubs about the matter, are they highlighting the fact that even though the national broadcaster is taking a license fee, they are show foreign product over a domestic one, politians all over the country have clinics every Saturday morning .... call in a rasie the issue.

If you want change then, you have to let people know this.

Petmuller
26/04/2005, 12:37 PM
the tape should go to good use still. get that referee suspended. elbows happen or wateva but when it's as malicious as that on an 18yo they should be punished, player&referee, for missing it with no excuse

You know what really gets me down about the modern game is the trial by video evidence. I blame this more on the way the game has gone rather than blame the four officials. Yes the guy clearly hit Jayo in the face, but can we just not accept that the referee and lino just didn't see it? Sky sports have the beautiful game ruined. They comb through the replys looking for mistakes the officials have made. Referees after all are only human? They too make mistakes. Look at the footballers on huge money, they too make mistakes but they don't come under the same type of scruteny. Why?? The game changes on it's head when the referee or lino disallows a goal or doesn't give a peno. Yet a player can miss an open goal and there's no talk of how that can/could change the course of the game. I think we have to be consistant in our approach to the whole game. Did you ever ask yourself why no professional footballers ever take up refereeing after their playing days are over? It's very easy to critise but how many of us would be brave enough to take the whistle in hand and have a go at refereeing a game? The game needs officials as much as it needs the players, without either we can't have a competitive game. The referee doesn't have the benifit of video evidence to help aid him with decisions. The fact that he's human we have to accept he'll not see everything that goes on on the pitch. He doesn't have all the angles like the twenty five cameras at a sky televised match. I think as supporters we can be too hard on the man in the middle, maybe if we weren't then players might take it up after they stop playing. It's somethink to my knowledge that has never been looked into.
You know it's very easy to referee a game from a bar stool, the best experts see the game from that viewing point.

Let's lay off the referee bashing as Rovers supporters and leave it to the so called experts such as Andy Gray and co.

Petmuller
26/04/2005, 12:50 PM
What is it about Irish television?
There I was watching a weekly program about our own league and then the anchorman of the program announces a competition with the winner getting to travel to watch a football match outside our own country. Does this go on anywhere else but club cuckcooland??

Redzer
26/04/2005, 12:55 PM
Methinks Petmuller, that your a "Man in Black" in disguise. :D
The officials f*cked up big time on Saturday night, and robbed us of 2 points, at least.

garykelly
26/04/2005, 1:34 PM
I remember reading a programme from the early 90's not so long ago. Cant remember which one. The article in the programme went on about how media coverage was so poor and that 1st division clubs were being left in the wilderness.

10 years on.........nothing has changed. The fact is RTE/TV3 will never give proper dedication not only to the 1st divison but to the Eircom League in general. Eircom League weekly is there but it falls short of quality programming and it on way too late to target the younger generations.

RTE/TV3 dont and wont send cameras to all Prem division games and its up to 1st division clubs to do it themselves. However the way the league is run cannot be conducive to TV coverage. There are games on Thursdays through Sundays every week. IMO Games should be played or saturday & sunday only.

I feel, based on no indication coverage will improve, that clubs themselves should budget towards having their own cameras & gantries. I believe Longford Town have already done this ? . At least then every club would have coverage of their games to show. It is a sorry state that clubs have to pay to get coverage (must be very minimum requirements to fulfill eircom league highlights package) but unless they do it they will get none.

The reason games across the water are so popular is becuase of the coverage it get's. Rovers record their games but whats the point if TV3 treat it with contempt by showing it for a few seconds. Maybe clubs should pool together somehow to come up with their own medium for showing their games on tv. We know waiting around for things to improve doesnt work so I would hope clubs in this league would become more proactive in promoting their clubs, the league and generally treat football as a product which needs constant innovative marketing. The GAA have TV ads promoting GAA which is great for them. What does the Eircom League have ? A singular radio advert which is decent but not enough.

Options - Be proactive and changes things
- Do nothing and watch the domestic game slip further and
further behind
P.S
Sky Sports showed the Sligo Races that were on last night. I think that reflects poorly on Irish TV on the whole

Petmuller
26/04/2005, 2:52 PM
stevie wonder could have seen that elbow on jay. he's only a young fella&through sheer incompetence on the referee's part marc kenny got away scot free. don't talk nonsense petmuller

Stevie Wonder, for your information red til dead, is blind. Now are you telling me that if Stevie was at the game last Staurday night we'd have witnessed a miricle and his sight would have been restored. I doubt it.
You keep on bringing up the point that Jayo is a young fella. Am I to read from this if he was a mature adult then the elbow would be acceptable :confused:

Petmuller
26/04/2005, 3:11 PM
I remember reading a programme from the early 90's not so long ago. Cant remember which one. The article in the programme went on about how media coverage was so poor and that 1st division clubs were being left in the wilderness.

10 years on.........nothing has changed. The fact is RTE/TV3 will never give proper dedication not only to the 1st divison but to the Eircom League in general. Eircom League weekly is there but it falls short of quality programming and it on way too late to target the younger generations.

RTE/TV3 dont and wont send cameras to all Prem division games and its up to 1st division clubs to do it themselves.

Options - Be proactive and changes things
- Do nothing and watch the domestic game slip further and
further behind
P.S
Sky Sports showed the Sligo Races that were on last night. I think that reflects poorly on Irish TV on the whole

Gary what you say is very true but I don't think the solution rests solely with the clubs themselves. In fairness the clubs all do their bit. In Rovers case it costs quite a bit of money to have what turns out a number of seconds coverage of their game last Saturday. Rovers have done all they can and it's up to TV3 to decide how much they show.
No the real problem lays at the door of the FAI. This wonderful body of incompetent people do have a deal with RTE regarding the broadcasting of irish football, sadly they failed in the negotiating skills department when it came to the broadcasting of our national league. These people are more interested in what's in it for them rather than promoting the home game. Back in the seventies and eighties when there was less money around than there is today there was a weekly hightlights program on every sunday night. Why not today? I don't think it's RTE or TV3 that's to blame it's our own representitives on the FAI and Eircom League committees. Every club has a representitive and I think it's these people that should be targeted to buck up or get out.

garykelly
26/04/2005, 3:53 PM
Gary what you say is very true but I don't think the solution rests solely with the clubs themselves. In fairness the clubs all do their bit. In Rovers case it costs quite a bit of money to have what turns out a number of seconds coverage of their game last Saturday. Rovers have done all they can and it's up to TV3 to decide how much they show.
No the real problem lays at the door of the FAI. This wonderful body of incompetent people do have a deal with RTE regarding the broadcasting of irish football, sadly they failed in the negotiating skills department when it came to the broadcasting of our national league. These people are more interested in what's in it for them rather than promoting the home game. Back in the seventies and eighties when there was less money around than there is today there was a weekly hightlights program on every sunday night. Why not today? I don't think it's RTE or TV3 that's to blame it's our own representitives on the FAI and Eircom League committees. Every club has a representitive and I think it's these people that should be targeted to buck up or get out.

I agree with your comments. I'm looking at it from the point of view that if the FAI/Eircom League/RTE/TV3 or whoever isnt going to start promoting the game properly and help domestic clubs then I think clubs and their supporters should help themselves. Would everyone writing to TV3 complaining about the coverage of our games help ? All they have to do it show it, while rovers put effort in getting it done.

Indeed all clubs have representatives on the FAI but I think even if clubs discussed this the FAI would ignore them or pawn them off. The FAI cannot see beyond the national team, which is detrement to the local game. Sepp Blatter (ok so he talks to much) said that he couldnt believe that the irish team were so good and the domestic game wasnt and he called for the FAI to promote domestically. IMO if words from the head of FIFA cannot inspire the FAI then I dont think club reps are going to do it. IMO The FAI will hide behind the international set-up and behind the odd good run in Europe from a domestic side, while forsaking everything and everyone else in the domestic game.This wont change until the FAI abandons it's archaeic structures, changes personnel to proper footballing people and starts to function as a business.

Da Real Rover
26/04/2005, 3:58 PM
Petmuller the whole new stand was standing on its feet after seeing that. They all saw it. Now the ref and the linesman was standing within a couple of yards of the incident but Kenny got nothing at all. It happened infront of the fourth official but did he enlighten the ref on the situation, no. You seem more concerned with Rovers bashing than actually looking at the situation on hand and seeing that the ref was in the wrong.

Petmuller
26/04/2005, 4:14 PM
Petmuller the whole new stand was standing on its feet after seeing that. They all saw it. Now the ref and the linesman was standing within a couple of yards of the incident but Kenny got nothing at all. It happened infront of the fourth official but did he enlighten the ref on the situation, no. You seem more concerned with Rovers bashing than actually looking at the situation on hand and seeing that the ref was in the wrong.

I never once said or referred that the referee was correct with the decision he made. Has his decision changed due to this, has his decision changed any because other people on this forum believe and have said that the referee is a cheat, I don't think so either. All I'm saying is that all this whinging will get us as Rovers supporters nowhere.
You say I'm more concerned with Rovers bashing :confused:
Where have you proof of this? I've supporterd Rovers for a long time now and if wanting to be fair with both sides is wrong in your eyes then that must also mean I'm a Rovers basher. Personally I don't see the logic but I'll show some compassion towards you.

Da Real Rover
26/04/2005, 4:40 PM
You say I'm more concerned with Rovers bashing :confused:
Where have you proof of this? I've supporterd Rovers for a long time now and if wanting to be fair with both sides is wrong in your eyes then that must also mean I'm a Rovers basher. Personally I don't see the logic but I'll show some compassion towards you.
In the tread 'Here We go again' you say who should we blame if not the players. Does this not show that you are more concerned about bashing the team and that your ignoring the fact that the ref is responsible if not partly responsible for us losing the game.

Petmuller
26/04/2005, 6:31 PM
In the tread 'Here We go again' you say who should we blame if not the players. Does this not show that you are more concerned about bashing the team and that your ignoring the fact that the ref is responsible if not partly responsible for us losing the game.

Da Real Rover, look I don't want to get into a situation here but can I suggest you go back and read that thread again. I haven't accused you of team bashing yet you have been very over the top with your comments.
I'm not particularily fond of the blame game. Yea we lost the game, some of our players under performed, the Referee had a stinker, Sean's tactics weren't to my liking, the supporters didn't get behind the team 100%, Monaghan didn't give us any space on the ball, Monaghan scored a goal that should have been ruled off-side ... bla, bla, bla.
What's there to gain from all this??

When Rovers win, and I certainly hope they win many more times during the course of this season, we/I heap praise on them probably even more than they deserve but hi that's football :)
On the other hand when Rovers lose, like we did last Saturday, then I'm down, frustrated, gutted and I'll blame members of the team that underperformed. I also think that's football, what I don't think is that it's team bashing. So da real rovers I think you might be a little hard on me there but what does it matter, we're all on the one team ;)

Have a read of the article in the Weekender especially Sean's comments on last Saturday's performance, I don't think you'll accuse the gaffer of team bashing now will you?

shedhead
26/04/2005, 6:46 PM
Missed the footage last night,Watched the first half of eircom league weekly and it didnt mention the sligo match so just left it as i didnt think it would be on. Is there any chance of it being on sligorovers.com?

Da Real Rover
26/04/2005, 7:14 PM
Fair enough Petmuller. I will criticise the team when they perform poor but i feel that we did not deserve to lose and that the ref cheated us out of the draw. On saturday we were poor but because of the ref we didn't get a share of the spoils. The team should receive constructive criticism when due but when a ref performs like he did on saturday, the last thing the team need is us jumping on their backs and tearing the hell out of them. I know i feel cheated after the game so imagine how the players feel (namely jay). You say that criticising the ref will not achieve much, SO WHAT. Because we are all Rovers fans i think we should share our opinions on the team and the games. I don't intend to eliminate world hunger or 3rd world debt, im just giving my opinions on the game.

Petmuller
26/04/2005, 9:22 PM
Fair enough Petmuller. I will criticise the team when they perform poor but i feel that we did not deserve to lose and that the ref cheated us out of the draw. On saturday we were poor but because of the ref we didn't get a share of the spoils. The team should receive constructive criticism when due but when a ref performs like he did on saturday, the last thing the team need is us jumping on their backs and tearing the hell out of them. I know i feel cheated after the game so imagine how the players feel (namely jay). You say that criticising the ref will not achieve much, SO WHAT. Because we are all Rovers fans i think we should share our opinions on the team and the games. I don't intend to eliminate world hunger or 3rd world debt, im just giving my opinions on the game.

Da Real Rover, I apologise if I come accross as putting you down for sharing your opinions, far be it for me ...
We all feel hard done by in the moment of defeat, yes even the players as you so rightly put it. I do realise also that referees can also have bad games as was the case last Saturday, what I wouldn't like to see is Rovers supporters adopting the thinking that all referees are against us and only see the colour of the away side. I'm sure you've noticed on your travels following the bit o red that there are grounds where the home supporters are like the romans baying for blood, the least little thing and they want the opposition player sent off. I've witnessed this in a couple of grounds, one not too far from our own without naming names ;) This type of mentality is not good and it can start very easily.
Anyway enough said on that subject.
Again my apologies if I offended, it's never my intention, I tend to get caught up in the moment.