PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Drumcondra?

BleusAvantTout
25/04/2005, 10:21 PM
Around 1962/63 I can recall Drumcondra playing Linfield in Belfast. I don't know much about them other than the fact they were a (north?) Dublin side and played in blue and yellow.

Can anyone out there tell me where they played and why they left the main League all those years ago?

CollegeTillIDie
25/04/2005, 10:28 PM
BleusAvantTout

They played at Tolka Park , current home of Shelbourne. The owners the Prole Family sold the ground to Home Farm FC effectively handing the League spot to the Amateur club who played in the League from 1972 ( when Drumcondra left) to 1996.
The Drumcondra club re-appeared in lower League football. And currently play in the Athletic stadium in Santry on the original Belfast Road.
Home Farm sold the stadium to Shelbourne in 1989 and moved to their own grounds in Whitehall.
Home Farm in 1996 then had a split in which the Eircom League part divorced from the Schoolboy League club. This was to allow the advent of semi-professionalism. The Eircom league part secured a massive spoonsorship from Everton which lasted about two years. Then they were sponsored by Fingal County Council up to 2001. They re-emerged the following season as Dublin City F.C. Dublin City played in Whitehall for two years , in Tolka Park last season and are playing in Richmond Park, home of St.Patrick's Athletic, this season.

gspain
26/04/2005, 7:28 AM
They were a huge club in the late 50's/early 60's but crows dwindled and I believe Sam Prole would have had to put his house up to guarantee debt which he wasn't willing to do so the lcub folded and Home Farm took over midway through 72/73 season.

The current Taoiseach Bertie Ahern was a fan.

They won the cup in 1927 as a Leinster League team.

They became the first LoI side to go through a round in Europe when they defeat Odense in the Fairs Cup. They also beat Bayern Munich in the home leg of the 2nd round.

Gareth
26/04/2005, 7:36 AM
My Dad supported them as a boy. First team I heard about him in relation to Irish Soccer. Imagine having another team in Drumcondra/Phibsboro area :)

drummerboy
26/04/2005, 8:28 AM
Drums are still alive and kicking, playing in Morton Stadium for the last 9 years. They play in the Leinster Senior League and reached the 3rd round of the FAI Cup last year. They were the first Irish team to win a match in Europe. Pictured below is the team who played Athletico Madrid in the European Cup in 1958.

BleusAvantTout
26/04/2005, 7:57 PM
Many thanks for all your replies! :cool: