PDA

View Full Version : portadown v shels

Pages : [1] 2

exile
25/04/2005, 6:21 PM
anyone watching where are all the shels fans???? (cue the puns)the section where they are meant to be his empty ?

exile
25/04/2005, 6:27 PM
Shels Gone 1 Up

martin_rules_ie
25/04/2005, 6:36 PM
nice sig exile!!

exile
25/04/2005, 6:55 PM
nice sig exile!!

thanks martin but its the truth though some people are emotionly unstable since he is gone :eek: :D

EnDai
25/04/2005, 8:35 PM
anyone watching where are all the shels fans???? (cue the puns)the section where they are meant to be his empty ?

The supporters buses got delayed and arrived late! (They also missed the goal!)

A face
25/04/2005, 8:41 PM
Trouble up north ..... dont know where ... was on BBC ..... i got a text ??

Story ??

Sonic
25/04/2005, 8:48 PM

Story ??

oh **** that aint good :(

dcfcsteve
25/04/2005, 10:42 PM

Story ??

Tonight ?? Wsa nothing on the 10:30pm BBC Norn Iron news - just a long piece on the Glens v Linfield trouble on Saturday night.

You sure your texter isn't just a bit slow/unfamiliar with Irish football.....? :)

dcfcsteve
25/04/2005, 10:49 PM
Anyone know if Setanta filmed the Longford-Glens game, and if they're showing it later on ?

pete
25/04/2005, 10:51 PM
I'd say shel$ had similar amount of fans as city had in Portadown. Shocking attendance from shel$ considering only short drive up & can be home before 11.30pm.

:rolleyes:

Pitch was poor. Shels looked in control until Portadown player sent off. Portadown really had good go at shel$ & could have got a draw even if shel$ missed a load of chances on the break.

Jason Byrne may score goals but his general distribution & passing is shocking.

If City draw in Tolka shel$ can't win the group. Portadown would ahve to beat City in last game to win group then.

If Brian Hamilton uses the word Terrific one more time i'm going to thump him if i see him in Tolka :(

A face
25/04/2005, 10:58 PM
Tonight ?? Wsa nothing on the 10:30pm BBC Norn Iron news - just a long piece on the Glens v Linfield trouble on Saturday night.

You sure your texter isn't just a bit slow/unfamiliar with Irish football.....? :)

Thats exactly it .... i didnt have time to look into myself at the time.

I saw that piece myself after ... looked fairly hair spot to be in alright.

town73
25/04/2005, 11:23 PM
Anyone know if Setanta filmed the Longford-Glens game, and if they're showing it later on ?

There was a camera there and a commentator - who looked pretty cold standing high up on the scaffolding in the second half. I'm told that the game will be shown on Thursday on Setanta, but not on the pub Setanta - only domestic Setanta (there's a difference apparently).

I'd imagine BBC or UTV will get pictures from it and should show it on the 6pm (UTV) or 6.30pm (BBC) bulletins tomorrow. One of them (BBC, I think) also has a programme on Thursday called Season Ticket, which might have it.

Slash/ED
25/04/2005, 11:29 PM
I'd say shel$ had similar amount of fans as city had in Portadown.

Plain bald faced lie, but I'd expect no more. Around 150 there, what was it, 63 Cork fans?

dcfcsteve
25/04/2005, 11:47 PM
There was a camera there and a commentator - who looked pretty cold standing high up on the scaffolding in the second half. I'm told that the game will be shown on Thursday on Setanta, but not on the pub Setanta - only domestic Setanta (there's a difference apparently).

I'd imagine BBC or UTV will get pictures from it and should show it on the 6pm (UTV) or 6.30pm (BBC) bulletins tomorrow. One of them (BBC, I think) also has a programme on Thursday called Season Ticket, which might have it.

Season ticket's on BBC NI on a Monday night - repeated daytime later in the week. Hasn't done a whole lot of Setanta coverage to be fair - though hopefully that'll change once the Irish League finishes.

Poor Student
25/04/2005, 11:55 PM
Well eL weekly had the goal from the Shels v Ports game but nothing but a mention of the Longford v Linfield game.

A face
26/04/2005, 12:03 AM
So whats the sceal .... if City get one win or two draws, we are through ... yeah !!

Slash/ED
26/04/2005, 12:04 AM
So whats the sceal .... if City get one win or two draws, we are through ... yeah !!

Lose to us and you could be out even if you beat Portadown, so not quite that. But get a result against Shels and we're out anyway.

Poor Student
26/04/2005, 12:05 AM
In the event of a Cork v Longford final where would be a suitable venue?

A face
26/04/2005, 12:07 AM
But get a result against Shels and we're out anyway.

Jebus ... tis all to play for so yeah ?!!?!! :p

ccfcgirl
26/04/2005, 12:14 AM
In the event of a Cork v Longford final where would be a suitable venue?IT will be Played in Landsdown .id much rather a place like dalymount though.

Slash/ED
26/04/2005, 12:17 AM
Incidentally, really enjoyed the match. Thought Shels outclassed them I thought and I'm gutted we didn't put at least three past them, our finishing was awful, we nearly threw it away for a start and second this could easily go down to goal difference. Wes Hoolahan is playing the best football of his career this season, quality again today, and Ndo is back which is fantastic news.

Poor Student
26/04/2005, 12:17 AM
IT will be Played in Landsdown .id much rather a place like dalymount though.

Hmmmm, I am just wondering how many people would turn out to it, whether the fans really care about it along the lines of even an FAI Cup final. There's no point in a half (or more) empty stadium.

Poor Student
26/04/2005, 12:19 AM
Incidentally, really enjoyed the match. Thought Shels outclassed them I thought and I'm gutted we didn't put at least three past them, our finishing was awful, we nearly threw it away for a start and second this could easily go down to goal difference. Wes Hoolahan is playing the best football of his career this season, quality again today, and Ndo is back which is fantastic news.

I only caught the second half. It seemed an entertaining game. I thought Bobby Ryan looked very lively and nearly scored a class goal. Shels had some good chances to add the second but then again that effort from Arkins was very fortunate to bounce off the post into Williams' arms. Crowd looked a bit disappointing though (granted I have no idea what to expect from the Ports).

A face
26/04/2005, 12:27 AM
IT will be Played in Landsdown .id much rather a place like dalymount though.

I'd have to agree with you there .... Dalymount would be the job !!

It looks like Longford or Linfield from the other group .... Longford in the driving seat but if the draw or lose to Linfield and and Linfield beat Glens then it is Linfield. All to play for for both teams now that Linfield cant win the league.

It would be good if it were a north south final though, just to have the interest in it.

Is there any idea where the final will be played ??

ccfcgirl
26/04/2005, 4:11 AM
I'd have to agree with you there .... Dalymount would be the job !!

It looks like Longford or Linfield from the other group .... Longford in the driving seat but if the draw or lose to Linfield and and Linfield beat Glens then it is Linfield. All to play for for both teams now that Linfield cant win the league.

It would be good if it were a north south final though, just to have the interest in it.

Is there any idea where the final will be played ??
The final is being played in Landsdown.But if there had been two north side teams which wont be the case now it would of been played up north

Macy
26/04/2005, 7:21 AM
Hmmmm, I am just wondering how many people would turn out to it, whether the fans really care about it along the lines of even an FAI Cup final. There's no point in a half (or more) empty stadium.
Cork would fill Lansdowne on their own, obviously.... ;)

paudie
26/04/2005, 9:49 AM
Lose to us and you could be out even if you beat Portadown, so not quite that. But get a result against Shels and we're out anyway.

Not quite. If City and Shels draw, we'd be level on points but we'd have +1 better goal difference than you. Then if we lost to Ports 1-0 all 3 teams would be level on points and goal difference and it would come down to goals scored and possibly fair play.

Watched the game last night and it was the best game so far in the comp. Shels look like they're really coming into form and should have won by more. Houlihab deserved MOTM.

Arkins must have won 99% of the high balls with Hawkins. I'd say Hawkins will be sore this morning. Arkins also unlucky when he hit the post.

Really sets it up for the game next Monday

dcfcsteve
26/04/2005, 9:57 AM
Cork would fill Lansdowne on their own, obviously.... ;)

And Linfield would literally empty it again - judging by the antics of some of their hangers-on at the Glens match on Saturday ! :eek:

Éanna
26/04/2005, 12:21 PM
Jason Byrne may score goals but his general distribution & passing is shocking.
Byrne is a decent finisher, but a very poor footballer IMO.

If Brian Hamilton uses the word Terrific one more time i'm going to thump him if i see him in Tolka :(
or "super" :mad:

Plain bald faced lie, but I'd expect no more. Around 150 there, what was it, 63 Cork fans?
well, how many did ye have so? Because honestly, looking at it on TV it looked like ye had about 60/65. If ye had more, then fair enough- I'd certainly hope ye had. (We had 61 incidentally)

Not quite. If City and Shels draw, we'd be level on points but we'd have +1 better goal difference than you. Then if we lost to Ports 1-0 all 3 teams would be level on points and goal difference and it would come down to goals scored and possibly fair play.
Fair play- thats Shels fcuked anyway :D :D

pete
26/04/2005, 12:42 PM
City had about 100 fans in Portadown. I honetly didn't think shels numbers looked much bigger on tv.

Anto McC
26/04/2005, 12:53 PM
Judging by the way the cork fans on foot.ie were going on i thought they were bringing about 300 fans.Shels had about 150 fans there and one of the buses arrived after the goal(the one i was on) :rolleyes: due to traffic in dundalk.

btw if it is a north vs south final that shels are not involved in,i will go to lend my support to the southern team.

Slash/ED
26/04/2005, 1:20 PM
well, how many did ye have so? Because honestly, looking at it on TV it looked like ye had about 60/65. If ye had more, then fair enough- I'd certainly hope ye had. (We had 61 incidentally)

Hard to say but 4 buses went down, so either we decided to throw money away for a laugh and order four 15 seaters or we had alot more than the 61. I generally don't care about this usual comparing attendences whaffle but there's no way what that first guy said is even close to true, I'd guess around 150 there.

EDIT - D2 Red, they ALL arrived after the bloody goal. A few were lucky enough to see the ball hit the net apparently, I got in around 30 seconds after it.

Byrne is a decent finisher, but a very poor footballer IMO.

And I have to disagree there if anything it's the other way around. Jayo gets a bagfull of goals because his pace and mmovement gets him chances but his finishing is very erratic. He's not shown it this season, where he's actually been fairly poor, but he's one of the best footballing centre forwards in the country. His crossing on both feet is exceptional as he showed against Longford and his passing is usually spot on, it's been off this season though. He sets up alot of goals for Shels, far more than given credit for.

Éanna
26/04/2005, 1:23 PM
Hard to say but 4 buses went down, so either we decided to throw money away for a laugh and order four 15 seaters or we had alot more than the 61. I generally don't care about this usual comparing attendences whaffle but there's no way what that first guy said is even close to true, I'd guess around 150 there.

EDIT - D2 Red, they ALL arrived after the bloody goal. A few were lucky enough to see the ball hit the net apparently, I got in around 30 seconds after it.
how can you go DOWN from Dublin to Portadown :confused: Dublin bias ;)

Anto McC
26/04/2005, 1:47 PM

Well i was on the last bus to reach the ground,after the delay in dundalk we got across the border only for the driver to take a wrong turn at the newry took an age to turn around,i was still sitting on the bus when my brother rang me to gauge my reaction which was both euphoria and anger,all the way up to Portadown to watch your team win and hoping the journey back is a quick one because you want to see the goal on the tele and i'll tell you something i enjoyed every minute of it.They call us mad but how many English premiership fans can say something like that.

Schumi
26/04/2005, 1:49 PM
Not a bad game, the best of the Setanta games to watch so far I thought. Bobby Ryan did well, Ports couldn't seem to deal with him when he cut inside and he was unlucky not to score with the chance that hit the post. What the hell has he done to his hair though?

how can you go DOWN from Dublin to Portadown :confused: Dublin bias ;)You go up to Dublin and down to everywhere else, it's well known.

Slash/ED
26/04/2005, 1:52 PM
Well i was on the last bus to reach the ground,after the delay in dundalk we got across the border only for the driver to take a wrong turn at the newry took an age to turn around,i was still sitting on the bus when my brother rang me to gauge my reaction which was both euphoria and anger,all the way up to Portadown to watch your team win and hoping the journey back is a quick one because you want to see the goal on the tele and i'll tell you something i enjoyed every minute of it.They call us mad but how many English premiership fans can say something like that.

I saw your bus take the wrong turn, I was wondering where the hell you were off too :D

Anto McC
26/04/2005, 1:57 PM
The driver hadn't a clue where he was going even took us on a sight seeing tour around dundalk on the way back,anyway if it wasn't for a couple of well observed men we'd probably have ended up in ballybofey.

town73
26/04/2005, 2:29 PM
Season ticket's on BBC NI on a Monday night - repeated daytime later in the week. Hasn't done a whole lot of Setanta coverage to be fair - though hopefully that'll change once the Irish League finishes.

Maybe it's the UTV equivalent.

This website: http://www.forzaglentoran.com/ is supposed to have a video clip of the game later tonight.

higgins
26/04/2005, 2:51 PM
Pete how the hell do you get a 100 figure from 61 ?? You have said now on a few threads it was around 100 yet most others here are saying the offical figure was 61 :mad:

You refuse to belive others or your plain mad!! :eek:

Shels had 4 buses going up there and I was on 1 of them. Very few people seen the goal, maybe less then 10 I think?? No bus was full but there was 38 on my one so id imagine the other 3 could come up with 23 between them!!

I'd put the figure at aroun 130 to 150 but of course if you know better because you seen it on the TV then fair enough I MUST be wrong.

Anto McC
26/04/2005, 4:41 PM
Shels had 4 buses going up there and I was on 1 of them. Very few people seen the goal, maybe less then 10 I think?? No bus was full but there was 38 on my one so id imagine the other 3 could come up with 23 between them!!

The bus i was on was full(and late) with exception to 3 seats.

Slash/ED
26/04/2005, 4:43 PM
Two buses were full iirc the others were over half full I think, I was on one that was a little over half full anyway.

BleusAvantTout
26/04/2005, 8:06 PM
[QUOTE All to play for for both teams now that Linfield cant win the league.
QUOTE]
If Glentoran draw or lose against Crusaders and Linfield beat Cliftonville, then Linfield will win the League ;) !

pete
26/04/2005, 9:52 PM
Pete how the hell do you get a 100 figure from 61 ?? You have said now on a few threads it was around 100 yet most others here are saying the offical figure was 61 :mad:

I didn't bother to count the people but if someone did & got 61 then fair enough. Was 2 buses (35 seater & bigger bus) plus a few cars.

:rolleyes:

Éanna
26/04/2005, 10:28 PM
I didn't bother to count the people but if someone did & got 61 then fair enough. Was 2 buses (35 seater & bigger bus) plus a few cars.

:rolleyes:it was 61 alright- only know because a ports official told someone that they'd counted 61 tickets at the gate.

higgins
27/04/2005, 9:06 PM
Well there was 38 on my bus and 47ish on another bus. One bus had the mascots on it so there was maybe 20? and the other half full at most I would think.

Im sure that adds to over 61....

Pete its been posted in many other threads what your attendance was that night....

Even allowing for you not to see the posts with 61 .
You have a 66% increase on the official figure. :confused:

Drumcondra Red
27/04/2005, 10:07 PM
We had 4 buses in total, one for the kids, 3 that seemed more full then empty to me! I believe the official count for Cork was 61, we were trying to come up with a figure ourselves, the general feeling was roughly 150, but that is not official, it looked about that to me, and having not seen it yet, don't know how it looked on TV

Éanna
27/04/2005, 10:11 PM
No big deal, I was just interested. I'd expect shels to have a bigger crowd up there as its only a few hours up the road- i.e. a half day as opposed to leaving at 10 am and getting back at 3am the following day!

Anto McC
27/04/2005, 10:56 PM
Didn't recognise most of the people who went to Portadown from going to other away trips.Most of them were aul fella's who didn't bother to sing or even cheer for that matter,Wish they would make the effort to go to other away trips.

Welcome to foot.ie Drumcondra Red,Have you registered in our Who do you support poll.

Drumcondra Red
28/04/2005, 1:47 PM
Cheers D2! I'll do that now, Éanna, would I be right in saying the majority of the Cork support in Portadown went from Dublin, all your exiles? How many actually went from Cork?

Éanna
28/04/2005, 2:14 PM
Cheers D2! I'll do that now, Éanna, would I be right in saying the majority of the Cork support in Portadown went from Dublin, all your exiles? How many actually went from Cork?
It was pretty much half and half. There were 30 ( i think) on the exiles bus from Dublin, of whom 5 (including myself) travelled up from Cork and met the bus from Dublin- the rest went up from Cork