PDA

View Full Version : A classic game of chess

Petmuller
24/04/2005, 3:35 PM
First Division football, something we as Rovers supporters are too well familar with for the past seven (?) seasons. Last night's game was what could be used as a prime example if someone was to describe to a complete stranger what the standard is like. In the red corner was the bit o red, a club capable of competiting with the best when it comes to the beautiful game. On the other hand in the blue corner we had the mighty mons, a team that has people sitting up and starting to take notice. Now five games unbeaten and already this season have taken the scalp off the pre-season favourites Kildare County. To try and draw up comparisons between both these sides would only be a worthless exercise. Rovers, a team that like to get the ball down and play to feet whereas the mighty mons are more or less a team of blockers, with the philosophy stop the opposition playing, totally frustrate them and their supporters and then strike with the sucker punch. If the ploy works well then they are guarnteed at least a share of the spoils. Last night the tactit worked a treat and the mighty mons went away with all three points. So how does one as manager counteract this type of match play.
First Division football in the Eircom League is more akin to a game of chess where players play the game thinking up to five moves ahead. In order to out think the opposing manager's tactics one has to first think like the opposition. In order to counteract his moves one has to be on the same wavelenght as the opposing general, be able to read the game quickly and then make the required moves that will change the course of the play and hopefully the game.
The formation the oppsoition starts with is a sure indication on how they intend to approach the game. By packing midfield then you can be sure the playmakers on the opposing side won't see too much of the ball. This then will for sure mean that the ball players in your side have become surplus to requirments. Unless players are prepared to get in where it hurts to win balls then they are just passageners and no side can afford to have passageners in a team game that involves eleven players. Last night it was as plain as the nose on your face that Rovers had too many players not coming up the the required mark in terms of performance. Employing two wide men in a game where the opposition was crowding midfield was nothing short of suicide on the behalf of the home team. Of our remaining two midfielders only one was prepared to get stuck in so in actual fact we were left with one man playing against at least three Monaghan players, now it doesn't take an expert to work out who will come out on top in this contest. With us employing the four-four-two formation and the two wide luxury players against a team that are prepared to pack midfield with bodies it shouldn't take too long to realise that our tactic isn't working so we must change. In my opinion in a game like this the luxury players are not an option from the off. We have to be capable of at least holding our own in midfield if we are going to get anything from the game. Even on paper prior to last night's game we were on to a loser, yet what was tried during the game to turn the tables? Not enough is my answer.

Da Real Rover
25/04/2005, 3:56 PM
Would you grace us with a few words of wisdom on what you might do to counteract this.

Petmuller
25/04/2005, 4:58 PM
chess my ar*e. monaghan have little class on offer so game plan is simple.

our midfield can't supply the service(faz&jay are contributing) to strikers so they're absent

no one can hold ball so it comes back to defence and they'll get caught eventually

monaghan have little class on offer so game plan is simple.

Get out of the garden ... simple me arse! Who won the game???
Monaghan had a game plan, you know a game plan??
Monaghan came and were happy to take a point from us, instead they took all three.
Monaghan are fourth in the table, two points behind ... great example of a side with little class. Wise up will you?

our midfield can't supply the service(faz&jay are contributing) to strikers so they're absent

I did say, did I not, that it's in midfield where we fall down. In this division we need players that can compete. Faz is a luxury player, good on the ball but won't win it. Also needs time, which he'll not get in this division, on the ball so he can pick out his man. He's a great passer of the ball but he'll not get the time required in this division. He'll make a brilliant Premier Division player, there's no doubt about that.
Jason is too light and he'll not compete. He's too young to be involved every week. Can do a great job for us but that's in the future. At the moment against teams like the Mons and Limerick etc, he's a luxury player.
Our formation is four - four - two. Of the four midfielders only two are worth their place. This is only my opinion, but I bet there are some that will agree?

no one can hold ball so it comes back to defence and they'll get caught eventually

Exactly, that's the problem.
So by my reckoning we are two players short in midfield.
I thought Steve Feeney did a great job in Cobh - why was he dropped??
I think Ciaran Foley is by far better employed in midfield than wasted up front.

Up front we are very weak!!
Calos is totally out of it. I reallly admire his attitude and committment. First Division football and the shear physical side of it he's no way used to. It will take him too many games to get up to speed with it. For this reason I'd give him an extended run out with the U21's so as he can learn to put himself about and gain the hunger needed to score goals in real competitive fixtures.

Steve O' Donnell and Paul McTiernan would be my choice as the front two. It's all there is, the choice really isn't there. After that look what's left for the bench? Now have we a league winning squad?

Athlone up next, they'll be no pushovers either let me tell you. We have to get the midfield sorted. St Mel's is a great surface, we'll be able to play some football. When we play football we stand a chance from getting something from any game. It's no where near lost yet but we have to start to try and get the act together. Let's hope Friday will be the start.