PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

shedhead
23/04/2005, 8:56 PM
such a s*it result against a sh*t team, who could not play football to save their lives. such a bad game

Clones Road Cas
23/04/2005, 9:11 PM
such a s*it result against a sh*t team, who could not play football to save their lives. such a bad game

:D As so often happens the s*it team wins and the superb maestros of football get nothing. Its amazinhg how the ****team is now unbeaten in 6 and is 3th after losing their first game in addition to having one of the best away records in the league.

Take your medicine and pray you dont get docked :D

sligoman
23/04/2005, 11:08 PM
I'm not saying much cos I'm not in the mood for talking about it. All I'll say is Monaghan didn't do enough to deserve three points and Rovers did enough to get a point, but none of it worked out.

By the way, did anyone get the feeling that we were playing a team from Dublin tonight?
I mean how many Dubliners is associated with that club? :confused:

Petmuller
23/04/2005, 11:51 PM
Sligoman, I don't think we are in a position to critise any club for their over use of Dublin players. Our own club went down that route for many years. We were beaten tonight so I think we should be big enough to take it squarely on the chin. Everyone and their dog knew what was in store for us prior to the game. Monaghan were never going to be a pushover, if anyone thought any differently then bigger fool they. This is the first division we play in, god knows we should know that as we are here a long time, and after tonight I think we'll be a lot longer. Monaghan are more equipped to get out of this division than we are, let there be no mistaking that. We don't have the quality needed to break down defences such as Monaghan. Teams like this will come to the showgrounds to frustrate the living daylights out of us. Eleven men behind the ball when the need arises and they're good at it. So credit where credit is due, it's up to our manager to plan before the game how his team are going to counteract this type of play. Tonight our manager didn't have the answer and I'm left wondering will he have the answer in the future. It's different on the road when you go to these teams on their patch they have to come out and try to look as though they want to win the game. Then a team such as ours will get the opportunity to play some football and in the process hopefully get something from the game. At home it's completely different. If we don't score an earily goal then the shutters are up, the crowd begin to get restless, players begin to ask questions of themselves and the away team are laughing. It will be like this for the season and supporters will be totally frustrated, the majority will refuse to pay out good money to watch games such as tonight's and the club suffers. To have a half decent team the club needs good support. To have a team good enough to get out of this division we need players and a manager that knows how to mix it. We need a game plan, but more importantly we need a plan B for when plan A is not working. So far this season we don't have the Plan B.
In the world of horse racing they say it's horses for courses and that works a treat. The world of Eircom First Division football is not very far off the world of horse racing, so I think it's time Mr Connor starts to put out teams that can do a specific job against a specific team. Players can be compared to tradesmen and not all tradesmen are good at the same type of work. A good manager will know this.
Now I'm left wondering is Sean Connor a good manager?

Soper
24/04/2005, 12:51 AM
It's early days guys, still a lot to play for.The other teams in the division are most probably gonna take points off each other for the most part, as long as the team doesn't make a habit of losing now.

ciaran76
24/04/2005, 8:06 AM

Hate to see what the losers were like if the sh1t team won !!!! :p

wexford boy
24/04/2005, 12:11 PM
Petmuller a good honest thread there from u i thought. Funny how things change so quickly with some of the sligo fans praising thier teams to high heavens when there winning but soon as they slip up ,straight on the case of the team.Bitter pill to swallow when your beaten but take it ,its a long long season.Hope your crowds keep turning up though good to see that

Rory H
24/04/2005, 12:12 PM
we didnt deserve a point!we were brutal and deserved what we got....heckled and no points..

gallagher is terrible!get back to the gaa where you belong,he has no skill composure and ryan o donnell should have his place

low is too arrogant really...and he has no ideas what to with the ball....long ball every time!

faz was poor last night....he si supposed to be our midfield dynamo...

jay was ok....average...gorman was terrible in the time he played....why bring him on when you are losing....put curran on instead[or tosh for that matter]

alvarez was a living joke...slow and lazy...poor control and wasnt getting in the positions....should be dropped

foley and alvarez dont work....

o donnell will come good....

also whats with the thing where they try to score the perfect goal...know when to cross it!

put mc tiernan and o donnell up front....and get the hell out of thisdivison...its crap ,i hate it
and if we had a have decent team we would stroll it....

i dont want to see crap like that again....

Da Real Rover
24/04/2005, 12:51 PM
sorry to burst your bubble there monaghan boys but yee really were absolute ****e going forward. Now im not saying we were good cause we were ****ing brutal but we didn't deserve to lose, we deserved a point at least cause overall we were the better team. Couldn't put it any better myself petmuller cause we were terrible up front, no .penetration, we were blunt. What worried me was how little chances we created and that we had no answer to monaghans depressing game plan. Now i wouldn't jump on the band wagon and start slinging mud at Conner cause overall he has done a good job. But he needs to find an answer to that defensive game plan cause limerick and monaghan both perfected it. We were far to one dimensional and need to adapt to a situation. But we were cheated out of that game by the ref. When jay got a face full of elbow the ref didn't even book the monaghan player(should have been sent off). When the ref gave a free to rovers he recognised there was a foul committed so hence should have given just punishment. It also happened infront of the 4th official but what did he do, nothing. Also there goal was miles offside(by 2 players). Now this isn't even up for dispute cause they had lightyears between them and the backline. We were completely cheated out of that game so monaghan boys its alot easier to win a game when you have a referee in your pocket. :mad:

SligoRoversfan
24/04/2005, 1:21 PM
need to get rid of gallagher.put purcell right back, alvarez and faz are overated and are yet to impress. monagahn DID NOT deserve to win.

Were supposed to be the fittest team in the league,and we still lost to a bunch of fat dubs!! :mad: :mad:

Clones Road Cas
24/04/2005, 2:57 PM
Not gonna get to much into the ref bashing debate cos god knows ive done enough of that myself.

Just a note on the dublin player thing. Monaghan has had an appalling record in this regard in recent years, however this is an area, like our results :D , which is changing. Of our 16 players for our last home game (XI and bench) 9 were born in the county. Admittedly that included 4 subs. We are making serious progress in this regard and we are looking forward to even more locals in years to come.

I wouldnt claim that we are the most skillful or pretty team in the league, that would be crazy. But this year there is a committed attitude in the team that has been lacking for a long time. As someone who has had to listen to a lot of Monaghan bashing in the last few years from teams with proud histories I can live with a few red and yellow cards if we get them in the pursuit of points.

Look back over the pre season predictions on this forum, the majority of people had Monaghan to finish 9th or 10th, all i can say is this, if you want to keep writing us off as a sh*t team thats fine, but you wont be the only team that we'll beat on their own turf before the season is over.

CRC

sligoman
24/04/2005, 4:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken ye were even sponsored by a Dublin business too :D :D

The Steering Wheel, Clondalkin, or something like that.

Also, how come nobody has actually mentioned that Monaghan's goal was clearly offside? :confused: :confused:

shedhead
24/04/2005, 9:02 PM
ya that was a bit of a disgrace all right.the "magic my hole mons" will be shown to be what there are on eircom league weekly tomorrow night.Wonder can video evidence be used to get yer man what he deserves?. and to all those monaghan supporters the reason we are so upset at ur physical ,long ball game is that, it is pretty much the reason why the eircom league is where it is,no fans and lack of sponsorship because of the way teams like monaghan play, unatractive football. i can understand that all ye want to do is get out of the first division but its doing no good to irish football. A perfect example is last nite and against limerick a few weeks ago, people came to see good football and hopefully 3 points, after the match all i hear was people talking about how pathetic the game was and some of those fans wont come back for a while and some times i cant blame them when u see the muck that was on offer last night.

foxfordred
24/04/2005, 9:15 PM
i was directly in line with play when the ball over the top was played and two players were at least 5 yards offside and i think the linesman purposely cheated because he was having such a bad game the sligo fans in the old stand were giving him a hard time and i honestly think he got his own back and i think the ref knew it was wrong as he looked to the linesman three times to see if he would raise his flag

Petmuller
24/04/2005, 9:32 PM
I honestly don't think there's any point in blaming the ref, linesmen or fourth official for the result last night. So what if their guy was fifty yards off when he scored it shouldn't make a difference. Our team should still be ballsey enough to take the game by the scruff of the neck and beat their eleven and the four officials if necessary. The problem is we are not good enough and the frustration is there to be read in these very threads. Of course people are depressed with the result, with the type of football on show, but I keep saying it and will continue to do so, this is the first division and we'll not get out of it by playing football alone. We need to be able to mix it. Do whatever it takes to break these sides down and get the ball in the old onion bag. It's the only way we'll win games. Blaming refs, linesmen or fourth officials will never gain any club promotion or even three points for that matter.
Lets ask ourselves an honest question; do we have the quality in depth to gain promotion from this division?

Personally I don't think so from what I have seen so far this season.
I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I can't see it happen :(

showgies
25/04/2005, 8:54 AM
It will be interesting to see the "offside" tonight on TV3. There is no getting away from the fact that there were no goal attempts of any note by either team. Monaghan had the only one and took it.

Rovers have many good chances to put crosses in but decided to take an extra touch or cut back to the other foot.

I think Connor may be forced into bring back McTiernan quicker than he thought, as the striking force we have currently is poor.

I also can't understand he persistance with Gallagher, he is a liability. Bring in Ryan O'Donnell or Mulligan. Faz is wandering around the pitch doing Sweet FA while Carlos fails to put himself about.

I would go for Cretaro and McTiernan upfront, at least Cretaro would win a few balls in the air.

I wouldn't be too disappointed yet, I still think we havea good chance to go up.

monutdfc
25/04/2005, 9:16 AM
Lads, take your oil.
Yes, it was a scrappy game, not helped by an overly fussy referee. It was very tight and at half time I said that one goal would be enough to win it. We were lucky, we got the break and scored, that's football. In fairness, I'd say a draw would have been a fair result, Sligo did not do nearly enough to deserve a win.
A few points:
The referee was not in our pocket. The same referee sent Jimmy Fullam off in Monaghan last season for questioning a free kick. Two yellows and off. He was poor in my opinion, but not biased.
The elbow incident happened right in front of the referee and linesman (and fourth official who cannot intervene anyway). Neither gave a free. I didn't see it properly, but the Sligo fan beside me said he thought it was accidental. The referee booked Kenny for absolutley nothing moments later.
The goal could well have been offside. Or the Sligo defence could have pushed up after the ball was played (it did come a long way). I think it probably was offside. That's football. But it's ridiculous to suggest that the linesman deliberately kept his flag down because he was getting a hard time from the crowd on the far side.
Monaghan United were the away team against the unbeaten league leaders. Of course we were going to keep it tight and compete. We did this very well, and for the first time in several seasons we have a team spirit where we are competing for each other an winning 50/50 balls. We were very well organised and hard to break down (a trait I always admired in O'Riordan's teams - whatever his faults his team were always very well organised).
Get over the cliché about having to kick your way out of this division. The 3 promoted teams last season all played football. I've seen footballing teams at the bottom of this division as well. (Mind you with Keely in charge Dublin City will probably be an exception this season.)
I expected more from Sligo Rovers on Saturday night. Ok, we made it difficult for them, but they didn't get it down and play either. The game was not a great spectacle, but that was down to both teams and as the onus was on the home team to play football. We drew nil-nil at home to Kilkenny City last week: it was a poor game, we were disappointed, but knew we deserved no more because we lacked the invention and penetration to break them down (Marc Kenny was injured). We didn't blame Kilkenny City. With players of the calibre of Keith Foy, Marc Kenny, Jimmy Fullam and Philip Hughes in our team we can and do play football. We played as much football as Sligo ROvers on Saturday night - admittedly, it wasn't much by either side.

I've seen most teams in the division at this stage. I have yet to see any team that looks clearly superior. No team has looked particularly weak either (although Kilkenny City didn't offer a lot last week). It's a long season, you'll be thereabouts.

foxfordred
25/04/2005, 12:12 PM
i agree when marc kenny was booked it was for absoutley nothing but he could and should have been booked at lest 3 times before thatand he should have been sent off for his deliberate elbow on mccartney

Da Real Rover
25/04/2005, 4:13 PM
Petmuller you can't just blame the team when it is clear monaghan didn't deserve a goal or to be playing with 11 players. Now that elbow on jay was pure malicious .believe me no accident. That donkey nearly lifted jay off his feat. So monaghan boys stop congradulating yourselves and giving yourselves pat on the backs because anyone can win when you have scum ready to commit fouls like that and go unchecked by a ref who is undoubtedly favouring ye.

Petmuller
25/04/2005, 4:21 PM
If I can't blame the team for losing then who do I blame?
The supporters?
Or maybe the students because they don't want to pay full admition :rolleyes:

I certainly won't blame the referee or his assistance as it's too easy to blame these guys.

No in my opinion it's the team that are to blame, or at least the team members that haven't performed.

Da Real Rover
25/04/2005, 4:40 PM
Okay Petmuuler i am not a student and i gather you don't have much of an afinity for them(no skin off my nose) but just cause it is easy to blame the ref it does not make it wrong. Remember i did not congradulate the team on a great performance cause they were absolute ****e but we were cheated out of a draw by the ref and the linesman. That goal was way off side(not even up for dispute) and they should have been playing with ten men.

sligoman
25/04/2005, 4:47 PM
we were cheated out of a draw by the ref and the linesman. That goal was way off side(not even up for dispute) and they should have been playing with ten men.

Exactly!

Da Real Rover
25/04/2005, 4:49 PM
Nice to see that someone was watching the match.

1 9 2 8
25/04/2005, 6:12 PM
The ref was sh1t :mad: Monaghans goal was a joke two player off side by a mile :mad: