PDA

View Full Version : New Fifa World Rankings

thecorner
23/04/2005, 8:36 PM
Very bizarre. How on Earth can the Czech Rep be second?

reuters (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldFootballNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20050420:MTFH09 131_2005-04-20_10-14-16_L20623131:1)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LONDON, April 20 (Reuters) - The Czech Republic have moved up to second place in the FIFA world rankings following their two World Cup qualifying wins last month.

Victories over Finland and Andorra have kept the Euro 2004 semi-finalists well-placed in European zone Group One and lifted them to their highest position for six years in the latest rankings published on Wednesday.

France, who continue to struggle in their qualifying group, slipped two places to fourth.

World champions Brazil remain in top spot, with Argentina, currently leading the South American qualifying competition for the 2006 World Cup, still in third.

The Netherlands and England have both climbed two places, to fifth and sixth respectively, with Spain and Mexico going the other way to seventh and eighth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few other highlights:

15 Rep of Ireland

19 Iran
20 Germany

ciaran76
24/04/2005, 7:59 AM
The thing is i have never took the rankings serious.Its just a way for FIFA to pretend that they are ranking teams.

:rolleyes:

Gerrit
24/04/2005, 5:04 PM
I find it quite amusing though to see Belgium slip away and hear my mates back home who do support them complain :D

How can Iran be 19th for God's (Allah's) sake ? :confused: