PDA

View Full Version : RTEngland

CollegeTillIDie
23/04/2005, 8:27 PM
No mention of tonight's First Division games on the Sportsnews on the RTE 1 news at 9. Despite the fact that Sligo V Monaghan United had finished and the result was already on Aertel.

Loads of FA Premiersh*t though! :mad:

DonO'Bate
23/04/2005, 8:59 PM
Yes that does appear to be RTE's News Department policy not to mention Saturday night soccer results. There sports results are also misleading the other night for example they put up this result; Limerick 0 Dundalk 1 when it should have been the other way around. A few seasons back they read out the same First Division results on a Friday and a Saturday night. This is very unprofessional indeed and a waste of my TV license money.

Well done to "Los Magicos Mons" on their terrfic win tonight in the Showgrounds a result which has moved them four places up the table.

thejollyrodger
23/04/2005, 9:51 PM
its a fúcking disgrace :mad: :mad: :mad:

harry crumb
23/04/2005, 10:45 PM
The results were given on RTE radio sportsnews @ 11pm.

The TV sports team don't have a clue.

iceman
23/04/2005, 11:01 PM
I bought todays "Oirish Mirror" expecting match reports from last nights games , what did I get? Eight pages of cross-channel football and NOTHING from the EL games. :(

harry crumb
23/04/2005, 11:06 PM
The Mirror have a supplement on Fridays and Mondays.

In fairness The Mirror have the best coverage of the league ususally.

I still wouldnt buy it though :)

aido_b
23/04/2005, 11:08 PM
Lads RTE are never going to change. They blame everything but themselves i.e. the staduiums, facilities etc ... but how are clubs supposed to improve these facilities if RTE our ... "national broadcaster" doesn't give the game coverage.

Coverage = More fans = More Money = A better League = Bohs being able to buy back Glen Crowe! (sorry had to add that in! :D )

A face
24/04/2005, 2:06 PM
I dunno lads, there was mention of this issue in FourFiveOne, IWOTO and City Edition on Friday ..... Cork City are alot worse off this year, because all games from the cross and a few from Richmond Park and Dalymount and Tolka were shown last year, along with Waterford, Cobh, Kilkenny and Limerick games, now there is no coveage because of this new deal. AFAIK Chorus are trying to sort something out but does anyone here think that RTE and Co. will facilitate them ... i think not. That will be the reason that the Cork Citys highlights wont be shown on eL weekly this year.

A huge step backwards and we are told it is better .... FFS.

iceman
24/04/2005, 4:29 PM
There is coverage of all Drogs home games on Eircom League Weekly , this is only because the club hires 2 cameramen to cover the games , the footage is then forwarded to TV3.

Éanna
24/04/2005, 4:35 PM
I dunno lads, there was mention of this issue in FourFiveOne, IWOTO and City Edition on Friday ..... Cork City are alot worse off this year, because all games from the cross and a few from Richmond Park and Dalymount and Tolka were shown last year, along with Waterford, Cobh, Kilkenny and Limerick games, now there is no coveage because of this new deal. AFAIK Chorus are trying to sort something out but does anyone here think that RTE and Co. will facilitate them ... i think not. That will be the reason that the Cork Citys highlights wont be shown on eL weekly this year.

A huge step backwards and we are told it is better .... FFS.
well Lennox said in his programme notes that they are trying to sort it out. If they can't strike a deal with Chorus, the club should follow drogs lead and do it themselves.

CollegeTillIDie
24/04/2005, 7:52 PM
It is amazing that the best supported club in the country cannot get on to TV this season.! They should be shown as a matter of course by one or other of the broadcasters. Apart from anything else they would be guaranteed a good audience in Munster !

Slash/ED
24/04/2005, 7:55 PM
Can someone fill me in here with the Cork thing, what exactly is going on there? I know it's something to do with some clash with Chorus or something, but what exactly is happening?

Typical TV3, one of the main title contenders and they wont bloody show them :rolleyes:

Éanna
24/04/2005, 8:02 PM
Can someone fill me in here with the Cork thing, what exactly is going on there? I know it's something to do with some clash with Chorus or something, but what exactly is happening?

Typical TV3, one of the main title contenders and they wont bloody show them :rolleyes:
Chorus used to film our home games, which they showed extended highlights of during the week and TV3 then used that footage. Now, AFAIK, the new tv deal does not allow other broadcasters film games at all, so Chorus can't film our games, TV3 won't come down to Cork, so we have no coverage :rolleyes:

pete
24/04/2005, 8:09 PM
Chorus used to film our home games, which they showed extended highlights of during the week and TV3 then used that footage. Now, AFAIK, the new tv deal does not allow other broadcasters film games at all, so Chorus can't film our games, TV3 won't come down to Cork, so we have no coverage :rolleyes:

City should hire Chorus freelance for €1 & give the footage to Chorus & TV3 for free. Its not as if RTE & the FAI are going to bring them to court.

Slash/ED
24/04/2005, 8:09 PM
TV3 won't come down to Cork

So that's essentially what it boils down to :rolleyes:

In a rare moment of compentency the FAI demanded that TV3 show highlights if they wanted to get delayed coverage of the Irish matches. So where are they now to enforce that TV3 don't go a half arsed job in order to keep showing those matches? How in the hell can they let them get away with not being arsed sending a camera down to show one of the title contenders and premier teams in this countrys home games? ffs it shouldn't be down to Chorus or anyone else to do it, and we need the FAI to take a stand on this one, but that's not going to happen, so there's not much we can do.

Kamikaze_Drog
25/04/2005, 12:29 AM
Slash/ED Said

"we need the FAI to take a stand on this one, but that's not going to happen, so there's not much we can do."

Think this just sums up the FAI; they aren’t really interested in the development of the game in Ireland. The league needs as much coverage as possible to help the game develop and attract more people to the games. The FAI should have sorted out the mess regarding the Cork games before the season started.

I have also heard that they are not showing any more live EL matches until the English season is over. Can anyone tell me way this is? It’s not as if they clash with Premiership matches that are shown on a Saturday afternoon! This is just RTE pandering up to the barstool English Premiership fans and the FAI is sitting back and allowing them to do so. If this is the case will they stop showing the games again in august?

The Highlights show on TV3 is also a pretty poor excuse of a show. If someone that wasn’t a fan of the league saw that show they probably would be turned of the league. The FAI should insist that it shows highlights from as many games as possible. The coverage that it gives the first division is a joke! It should be used as a vehicle to attract people to the game not turn them off.

Look at the way RTE cover GAA, they have the Sunday game on at a reasonable hour, show most of the matches and it’s done by people that look like they know what they are talking about.

A face
25/04/2005, 1:26 AM
Lads ..... the FAI are not responsible AFAIK, it is the league who signed on the dotted line. So the buck stops with them in my opinion.

It is more than clear now that neither RTE, TV3 or TG4 give a toss about the game.

The clubs are staying totally silent throughout all of this ..... infact i have never heard any club come out and protest about it (barr the odd passing comment in an interview)

The clubs dont seem to realise that the benefits of appearing on television, not only interests local sponsors, it also may attract bigger national sponsors, household names who have advertsing budgets laid out for the year. (i.e. they wouldn't have to prize the money out of the pockets of the local petrol station or chipper for a quater page advert in the programme)

The broadcasters dont have any vision or just simply aren't aware of the potential viewing figures for a consistant, quality domestic football show provided with basic resources.

The Ministers for Sport, Communication, Social Affairs, Education .... not one of them or anyone that works for them, has clue of the situation that exists and there is nothing for them to react to.

The fans of any of the league clubs dont put any pressure whatsoever on their club or any of the media bodies to lobby for change. Neither the clubs, the league or the sponsors have any idea whatsoever of the level of discontent among national league fans thus have no way to guage appropriate action to be taken ... they simply have nothing to react to. It is as if there is no demand at all for change.

The whole thing is a mess and at least two of the above would need to change for us to see anything happen.

Slash/ED
25/04/2005, 11:55 AM
Lads ..... the FAI are not responsible AFAIK, it is the league who signed on the dotted line. So the buck stops with them in my opinion.

Did the FAI not say that TV3 had to broadcast a weekly highlights show of premier division matches in order to get their delayed coverage of Sky exclusive Ireland games? I'm fairly sure they did. If so, they should tell TV3 to send cameras to all premier grounds or forget about getting any more Ireland matches. They'd send the cameras down quick enough if they did that.

trevy
25/04/2005, 11:56 AM
Waterford at 8 which is a local news and sports programme produced by WLR and ntl are allowed show goals and brief highlights of home games for about 5 mins on their weekly programme which is shown 7 nights a week in Waterford on ntl cable and digital.So I don't know why it would be different with Chorus in Cork.However the Waterford at 8 programme is being dropped in the next 2 weeks so don't know what will happen after that regarding tv coverage if tv3 get their pictures from local operator.Its a disgrace anyway that tv3 won't send cameras to every teams games.Its bizarre that they can ignore the likes of Cork and Longford.

A face
25/04/2005, 12:57 PM
Did the FAI not say that TV3 had to broadcast a weekly highlights show of premier division matches in order to get their delayed coverage of Sky exclusive Ireland games? I'm fairly sure they did. If so, they should tell TV3 to send cameras to all premier grounds or forget about getting any more Ireland matches. They'd send the cameras down quick enough if they did that.

One thing for sure is that the clubs/fans should lobby the powers that be and nail down a proper hour long magazine programme at a reasonable time, with proper metrics i.e. 80% of games highlights will be shown, each club featured over the whole season at least once. Cover every tier of football for fixtures and results from all competitions. 10% fans contribution for each show for pre-defined and elected groups for each club. Comprehensive goal of the month competition from both divisions, Progamme awards, soccer writers awards.

This whole "write it on the back of a beer mat at three in the morning" lark clearly has not worked so now another approach is needed.

If this is not nailed down the next time around, somenoe should lose their job and never be employed by the FAI in the future.

All too often these guys "get a deal" for the league and it is not worth talking about, they clearly have not done their job and they are rewarded for this when there most definitely should be penalties for dereliction of duty.

There are three years left in this deal .... (thats if nothing changes the course of it in the meantime) .... and the clubs and fans should have a mandate in place via some sort of charter and have a clear idea of what they want and demand that the FAI/League put this in place.

If this doesn't happen ...... well, you know the rest !! :eek: :(

A face
25/04/2005, 1:02 PM
Just want to add the the clubs and fans only share part of the blame for the league not knowing the needs and wants of the league. The League administration have to carry the can for not being in touch with the fans and the clubs. Infact i'd hold the league more responsible than the clubs to be fair.

pineapple stu
25/04/2005, 6:27 PM
RTÉ News have just reported that the Arsenal game tonight is live on Sky Sports...! :eek: :rolleyes: :mad: Then briefly glossed over the Setanta Cup, without even bothering to mention that the games have kicked off and one is live on Setanta... :rolleyes:

ThatGuy
26/04/2005, 7:45 AM
No mention of tonight's First Division games on the Sportsnews on the RTE 1 news at 9. Despite the fact that Sligo V Monaghan United had finished and the result was already on Aertel.

Loads of FA Premiersh*t though! :mad:
Football isn't even the national sport so it is hardly a shock that they didn't bother including a meaningless result from a sham of a first division in a 25 minute news program. Nobody cares about the first divison, and it is the fault of the clubs. The clubs should get their acts together before taking their frustrations out on others.

pineapple stu
26/04/2005, 12:36 PM
Football isn't even the national sport so it is hardly a shock that they didn't bother including a meaningless result from a sham of a first division in a 25 minute news program. Nobody cares about the first divison, and it is the fault of the clubs.
Eh? Rugby isn't the national sport - doesn't stop them doing a round-up of AIL results. Foreign soccer isn't a national sport (well, shouldn't be anyway... :rolleyes: ) - doesn't stop them often giving Scottish and English Division One results. Golf isn't a national sport...etc., etc. What's it take to announce the result - 5 seconds? How are people ever going to care about the First Division if it's buried away so much? :rolleyes: