PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted with an old shirt!

Emmet
23/04/2005, 4:56 PM
Hi!

I'm a bit stuck here and was hoping some of you guys might be able to help! Apart from the home game versus Denmark in 1985 does anyone know if we ever played in shirts like this (http://www.irelandshirts.com/ireland/images/cascarinodenmark1.jpg)?

Any help would be very gratefully received! :)

Emmet

Stuttgart88
25/04/2005, 7:13 AM
Sorry Emmet, can't help, but God why do we insist on some smart arse new logo every 10 years when the plain ol' shamrock looks class in every form it's been used?

Rant over.

Emmet
27/04/2005, 4:52 PM
Couldn't agree more ... the shamrock logo was the best one we've had

Greenbod
28/04/2005, 2:53 PM
Great shirt, but jaysus those curtains are only brutal!

drummerboy
28/04/2005, 3:44 PM
Anyone remember an Irish shirt which resembled a Kerry GAA jersey in the 80s. It went with togs and socks (green and yellow hoops). Anyway there was uproar and it was changed immediately.

Stuttgart88
28/04/2005, 3:51 PM
0-0 against Norway in June '85? Not sure of the year. Brutal performance that killed our qualifying hopes. Awful weather for early summer was a factor but at that stage Norway were still total minnows.

soccerc has a photo of Dave Langan wearing it. I think Emmet might have photo of it because we discussed it on soccercentral.ie a long time ago.

Emmet
28/04/2005, 9:58 PM
Yeah - that 'Kerry' kit was only worn against Norway in May 1985 ... there are some photos of it here:

http://www.irelandshirts.com/history/history/1980/1980c.htm

For whatever reason we went through a mad few months back then ... I think there were four or five different styles of kit worn in something like half a dozen matches. I really have no idea why!

Emmet

ps - I hadn't really looked at the curtains that seriously before but I'll have to do something about them now I have ... all I can say in my defence is that they were there when I moved in!!

stojkovic
29/04/2005, 9:43 AM
Excellent site Emmet.

Very nostalgic looking at the old jerseys.

My fave is still the away kit for WC94.

sylvo
29/04/2005, 10:06 AM
Hi!

I'm a bit stuck here and was hoping some of you guys might be able to help! Apart from the home game versus Denmark in 1985 does anyone know if we ever played in shirts like this (http://www.irelandshirts.com/ireland/images/cascarinodenmark1.jpg)?

Any help would be very gratefully received! :)

Emmet

We played the Swiss in Berne with that shirt (I think), and if I remeber right, we also had a white version of that shirt which we wore in Moscow against the Soviet Union in 85, Ive got that shirt myself at home somewhere, also seen a picture of some kick around friendly that an Ireland eleven played against someone (not an international team) where big Cas made his debut and the shirts had the sponser Irish cement across them. And we all thought it was bad enough with Eircom on the shirts. ;)

stojkovic
29/04/2005, 10:49 AM
We played the Swiss in Berne with that shirt (I think), and if I remeber right, we also had a white version of that shirt which we wore in Moscow against the Soviet Union in 85, Ive got that shirt myself at home somewhere, also seen a picture of some kick around friendly that an Ireland eleven played against someone (not an international team) where big Cas made his debut and the shirts had the sponser Irish cement across them. And we all thought it was bad enough with Eircom on the shirts. ;)
Was that a testimonial.
I seem to remember it, I went to see the great Johnny Rep play.

sylvo
29/04/2005, 7:01 PM
Was that a testimonial.
I seem to remember it, I went to see the great Johnny Rep play.

It was something like that, an Ireland 11 playing some sort or other 11 in a testimonal.

lopez
01/05/2005, 9:45 PM
We played the Swiss in Berne with that shirt (I think), and if I remeber right, we also had a white version of that shirt which we wore in Moscow against the Soviet Union in 85...We played in white against the Swiss (distinctly remembered during the punch up with the fascists) and the testimonial was for Jimmy Holmes. I'm sure we played in that shirt against Switzerland at home but with an FAI style badge (something with a football in the middle instead of a shamrock). Don't know what we played in against Spain in Cork that year (1985) just after the Norway game as I've never seen a picture of the game. Anyone from Cork old enough to have been at the game?

Stuttgart: I think you answered your question about the year. ;) I think I've told the story before (in the Sunday Press or Indo) about Eoin Hand telling his players before the game that they looked just like Kerry. One player replied: 'It's a shame we can't f*cking play like Kerry!' :D Happy days. :rolleyes:

Emmet
02/05/2005, 12:20 AM
I've got a feeling it might have been an U.21 jersey or like you say Lopez maybe from that game against Spain in Cork.

Thanks for all your help anyway - it's much appreciated :)

soccerc
02/05/2005, 12:51 AM
Don't know what we played in against Spain in Cork that year (1985) just after the Norway game as I've never seen a picture of the game. Anyone from Cork old enough to have been at the game?

I'm not from Cork but remember the game against in Flower Lodge very well.
IIRC we wore green shirts with the crest we use din Euro 88.
We travelled home to Dublin with the team and Liam Brady gave one of the lads money to get a few flagons in an off licence near Kent Station for the journey. Con Houlihan was with us too and there was some great craic in the carriage with the gargle flowing and the stories flying never mind taking loads of dosh from the team who hadn't a clue how to play Dawn ( A Dublin Card game). A really funny moment happened in Heuston when this drop dead gorgeous blonde met the train and all the lads were ogling and makng remarks when Frank Stapleton just turned and said "Thats me missus". You should have seen some of their faces while Stapo just broke his ****e laughing.