PDA

View Full Version : Sean Russell GoFundMe

NeverFeltBetter
09/05/2019, 8:12 PM
Since the club is unwilling/unable to pay for the medical expenses of player Sean Russell, for injuries sustained on the field, some of the fans have set up a GoFundMe for him here: https://www.gofundme.com/sean-russell-medical-expenses All support is appreciated.

More details if interested: https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/05/09/watch-sean-russell-reveals-limerick-fc-have-failed-to-pay-medical-costs/

No one's holding their breath on the club paying, as quite a large amount of money is owed to various people/entities right now.

nigel-harps1954
10/05/2019, 8:21 AM
Where's the PFAI in all this?

Shearer
10/05/2019, 8:26 AM
Where's the PFAI in all this?
Sean Russell is an amateur sadly.

Nesta99
10/05/2019, 4:52 PM
He would surely still be covered under the clubs medical insurance...they do have insurance? If not its a bigger reason for players to talk about striking than even unpaid wages!!

NeverFeltBetter
17/12/2019, 5:08 PM
Has announced his retirement.

Martinho II
18/12/2019, 3:53 PM
Yeah saw it in paper today. Sad to see thats he gone. If his operation had took place as scheduled would it have made any difference to Sean?

Calcio Jack
19/12/2019, 11:16 AM
MOD EDIT - DELETED

And the winner of the most crass/tasteless award for 2019 is the above

osarusan
19/12/2019, 2:30 PM
Yeah saw it in paper today. Sad to see thats he gone. If his operation had took place as scheduled would it have made any difference to Sean?

I asked this elsewhere, and I don't think we know for sure (we = general public) but the delay certainly can't have helped, and he mentioned the mental suffering also, which was certainly caused/exaggerated by the delay.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually think that not covering his treatment is one of the worst things O'Sullivan has done. Owners who stop spending are a part of the game (although he had no idea how or when to leave the stage) but not covering a player's injury is truly disgraceful.

sbgawa
19/12/2019, 2:48 PM
i agree , i always felt POS was well meaning and had at the end of the day pumped millions of his own money into Limerick but for the sake of a few grand he really let himself down.

Nesta99
19/12/2019, 4:42 PM
i agree , i always felt POS was well meaning and had at the end of the day pumped millions of his own money into Limerick but for the sake of a few grand he really let himself down.

I find this all baffling from a medical insurance point of view. Running a Dundalk Summer League side we had to obviously get insurance cover for the players. For a reasonable contribution from each player the cover we got was quite good. One chap broke his ankle, he was self employed as a plumber so couldnt work. The insurance covered the operation and also paid out for loss of earnings. I know there are currently issues with insurance cover but surely Limerick had incurance that covered treatment of player injuries. If not and its a case of negligence on the club owners behalf - and by extension even the FAI (yes I knw....) as the organisation that awards club licences then the player surely has a case.
Even as an amatuer, playing in a 'pro' league you'd also think the PFAI could do more. If a player is registered with a LoI team even on amatuer papers the PFAI should be representing these players!

marinobohs
19/12/2019, 6:35 PM
I find this all baffling from a medical insurance point of view. Running a Dundalk Summer League side we had to obviously get insurance cover for the players. For a reasonable contribution from each player the cover we got was quite good. One chap broke his ankle, he was self employed as a plumber so couldnt work. The insurance covered the operation and also paid out for loss of earnings. I know there are currently issues with insurance cover but surely Limerick had incurance that covered treatment of player injuries. If not and its a case of negligence on the club owners behalf - and by extension even the FAI (yes I knw....) as the organisation that awards club licences then the player surely has a case.
Even as an amatuer, playing in a 'pro' league you'd also think the PFAI could do more. If a player is registered with a LoI team even on amatuer papers the PFAI should be representing these players!

Inaction of the PFAI was very disappointing, irrespective of his amateur status they should have pushed the issue. Player welfare, any player, should be the paramount concern of all involved in football. No player should be left in that predicament.

Nesta99
19/12/2019, 8:42 PM
It was an opportunity for them to really show their worth to all players, expand their remit a bit, grow membership and get some positivity for what has be an often maligned organisation in the past the seemed to exist as much to get players payed more never mind getting their members payed - werent some of those involved in the past player agents?

osarusan
19/12/2019, 9:30 PM
I had always assumed that player insurance was one of the licencing criteria, it never occurred to me that a club wouldn't have it as a matter of course.

Nesta99
20/12/2019, 1:38 AM
I had always assumed that player insurance was one of the licencing criteria, it never occurred to me that a club wouldn't have it as a matter of course.

I'd have presumed that it would be one of the most basic requirements for licencing. As mentioned above, even in the local summer league player insurance was compulsory with the proof having to be submitted to the league. I suppose a policy could be cancelled but a big risk to take.

pineapple stu
20/12/2019, 6:58 AM
Are expenses not paid by the club first and recouped through insurance?

Would it have been the case that Limerick couldn't even afford to make the payment in the first place?

(Edit - or maybe that's just the case for smaller medical expenses, not full operations)

I think the insurance is a group policy that clubs more or less have to sign up to.

Nesta99
20/12/2019, 8:14 AM
I depends on the specifics of the policy though if a group policy its even more confusing again. An op costs on average of 10k per theatre hour so paying up front could be mental money. Maybe there was an excess payment that was needed. If he was seeking to go to some super clinic in Germany or the US and that's what wasnt being payed for either?

marinobohs
20/12/2019, 9:51 AM

I believe they are required to have some coverage, not sure of the criteria (perhaps covers player loss of earnings ?).Obviously in this case whatever cover was available was insufficient to deal with the problem.Very unfortunate (and wrong ) that it had to happen but would hope licencing criteria has been tightened up to ensure no repetition.

blueblood
20/12/2019, 5:45 PM
I asked this elsewhere, and I don't think we know for sure (we = general public) but the delay certainly can't have helped, and he mentioned the mental suffering also, which was certainly caused/exaggerated by the delay.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually think that not covering his treatment is one of the worst things O'Sullivan has done. Owners who stop spending are a part of the game (although he had no idea how or when to leave the stage) but not covering a player's injury is truly disgraceful.
I heard from a parent of an underage player that O'Sullivan did this before, absolute scumbag