PDA

View Full Version : Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Copenhagen - 7th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

tetsujin1979
16/05/2019, 9:50 AM
Few players in the championship play off final now. Wonder will anyone be called up to replace them

DeLorean
20/05/2019, 2:38 PM
Squad confirmed (kind of) - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-squad-confirmed-for-euro-2020-qualifiers

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Mark Travers (Bournemouth), Sean McDermott (Kristiansund BK)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), John Egan (Sheffield United), Kevin Long (Burnley), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Greg Cunningham (Cardiff City)

Midfielders: Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Luca Connell (Bolton Wanderers), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic*), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth)

Forwards: David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), Shane Long (Southampton), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Callum Robinson (Preston North End)

*Indicates the player is on loan

zero
20/05/2019, 3:05 PM
It's not a final squad in fact once you read a bit more, but a provisional 27 man squad. If I'm not mistaken that will have to be cut to 23 ahead of the 2 ties.

DeLorean
20/05/2019, 3:26 PM
It's not a final squad in fact once you read a bit more, but a provisional 27 man squad. If I'm not mistaken that will have to be cut to 23 ahead of the 2 ties.

True - fixed.

Olé Olé
20/05/2019, 5:27 PM
I note Luca Connell has been drafted in. Interesting.

seanfhear
20/05/2019, 7:02 PM
I note Luca Connell has been drafted in. Interesting.
Compulsory draft with out a get out clause could be the way to go alright . Might stop the Ship jumpers .

Olé Olé
20/05/2019, 7:40 PM
Byrne dropped for Connell or is he unavailable?

Diggs246
21/05/2019, 1:31 PM
Are the squad arriving in Portugal today? And if so did everyone available travel?

Fixer82
21/05/2019, 9:59 PM
Is Westwood finished playing for ROI??

DeLorean
22/05/2019, 9:06 AM
Mick on Daniel Crowley...

So I haven’t seen him, and I’ve never signed anyone watching a video. I’d have only put him in the squad with if I thought he was better than the lads that are already in, and I’ve not seen him.

Mick on Luca Connell...

He just impressed me and he has impressed everyone else, the bits I’ve seen of him on TV, I have not seen him live.

No big deal but not exactly consistent.

DeLorean
22/05/2019, 9:13 AM

McCarthy confirmed he's nursing an injury over the summer, but it looks fairly ominous alright.

tetsujin1979
22/05/2019, 9:39 AM

Mick on Luca Connell...

Agreed, but Mick also has the input of the underage coaches that have worked with Connell, up until quite recently

DeLorean
22/05/2019, 10:23 AM
Agreed, but Mick also has the input of the underage coaches that have worked with Connell, up until quite recently

Yeah I've no issue with Connell being called up but I think he should be in a position to make an informed call on Crowley by now too. Maybe he is though and doesn't quite fancy him, but obviously doesn't want to say that publicly.

CraftyToePoke
22/05/2019, 12:20 PM

Mick on Luca Connell...

Points of view, if I was Crowley that is a big deal.

liamoo11
22/05/2019, 5:41 PM

The underage coaches who didn't think he was good enough a few months ago to be first choice for our 19s even with some notable absentees from that 19s squad

tetsujin1979
22/05/2019, 6:31 PM
Given that he's gone on to play first team football since then, that might say more about them than anything else

Diggs246
22/05/2019, 7:00 PM
Given that he's gone on to play first team football since then, that might say more about them than anything else

What do u mean? The players or our under age managers?

OwlsFan
22/05/2019, 7:17 PM

Westwood missed all but one or two of Wednesday's last few games due to injury. I suspect that he's not fully fit.

tetsujin1979
22/05/2019, 10:15 PM
The underage coaches who didn't think he was good enough a few months ago to be first choice for our 19s even with some notable absentees from that 19s squad

I had a look at the Elite qualifiers, Connell started two of the three games, and came on in the other. He missed out on the qualifying round in October, but was called into the under 18s in November (https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u18-squad-named-for-spanish-tournament) and started all three games against Belgium (https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u18-wright-penalty-helps-defeat-belgium), England (https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u18-late-goals-help-england-to-win-in-spain), and Spain (https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u18-idah-goal-topples-the-dutch-in-spain)

What do u mean? The players or our under age managers?
I was going on the assumption that Connell had not been first choice, see above.

Kingdom
23/05/2019, 6:08 AM
I think I read elsewhere that a club isn't obliged to release players for underage internationals? Given he was on the verge of the Bolton first team they may not have allowed him to go.

tetsujin1979
24/05/2019, 10:16 AM
Travers out with a fractured thumb: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/travers-ruled-out-of-euro-2020-qualifiers
Those kind of injuries can be nasty

elatedscum
24/05/2019, 5:12 PM
So... Who's likely to take his place?

Doyle, Lawlor, D Rogers and O'Malley didn't play much this season. Westwood and O'Hara injured. Kelleher will probably stay with the 21s for Toulon.

Could do worse than call up James Talbot

Fixer82
24/05/2019, 5:20 PM

Doyle, Lawlor, D Rogers and O'Malley didn't play much this season. Westwood and O'Hara injured. Kelleher will probably stay with the 21s for Toulon.

Stephen Cluxton?

samhaydenjr
25/05/2019, 12:24 AM
Shay Given

Closed Account
25/05/2019, 5:51 PM

He's been called up. Talbot that is, and Max O'Leary

Olé Olé
25/05/2019, 6:01 PM
Is O'Leary eligible already? Or maybe he always was..

Jack Bonham came into my head as another potential options. He's in League One but was a regular during 18/19, whereas O'Malley wasn't and Lawlor is injured.

Olé Olé
25/05/2019, 6:03 PM
Also, I'm not sure if it's the jersey but James Talbot looks like an absolute freak of an athlete.

Looks like O'Leary isn't eligible yet: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/two-goalkeepers-link-up-with-ireland-squad

CraftyToePoke
25/05/2019, 8:25 PM
Also, I'm not sure if it's the jersey but James Talbot looks like an absolute freak of an athlete.

Looks like O'Leary isn't eligible yet: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/two-goalkeepers-link-up-with-ireland-squad

Ok so what does it mean for Dan Crowley that O'Leary is in pending clearance to play and he is not ? Hardly in his favour.
Also, couldn't Bamford have met up with everyone like O'Leary is if he so chose ?

geysir
25/05/2019, 10:12 PM
By this stage it's reasonable to assume that Mick has some prejudice against Crowley, perhaps he asked around one of the clubs where Crowley was not held in high regard.

Closed Account
25/05/2019, 10:26 PM
Not aiming this at anyone as I'm as guilty as anyone, but could we, and only if everyone agrees, could we focus squad announcement match threads about the people in the actual squad?

Maybe have another catch all thread about squad omissions, that would actually be interesting to read back on, after some more devolment has happening in there career.

In the current squad we have have some interesting and deserved call ups that go under the radar because there's a natural curiosity about who's been omitted.

Does McDermott merit a call up?
Should K Long be ahead of Lenihan for example?
Who's likely to start in CM?

Anyway just an idea,

irishfan86
25/05/2019, 11:33 PM
Not aiming this at anyone as I'm as guilty as anyone, but could we, and only if everyone agrees, could we focus squad announcement match threads about the people in the actual squad?

Maybe have another catch all thread about squad omissions, that would actually be interesting to read back on, after some more devolment has happening in there career.

In the current squad we have have some interesting and deserved call ups that go under the radar because there's a natural curiosity about who's been omitted.

Anyway just an idea,

I don’t know — I think there’s room to discuss both those players included and those excluded. Certainly in the context of — okay — so and so is included, but X player we feel is better is out — why? Much of our talk over the years has centred on talented players not playing for us — Roy Keane, Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid — the players that should be playing but aren’t — a popular topic wherever football is discussed the world over.

In the interests of getting this back on topic I am concerned about our goalkeeping depth in the short term here. Could be dicey in those June matches if anything were to happen to Randolph. Other options untested at the top level.

geysir
26/05/2019, 12:00 AM

Anyway just an idea,
"everyone agrees" you can't be serious?:)
I very much doubt if it would work to have two threads about the one squad and it's not as if the one match thread is so over-subscribed that it gets clogged up. When it gets closer to the actual game, the discussion naturally becomes more focused on the squad at hand.

Olé Olé
26/05/2019, 3:40 PM
Alan Browne out with an injury. He's having no luck for Ireland.

Diggs246
26/05/2019, 4:12 PM
Alan Browne out with an injury. He's having no luck for Ireland.

I have a terrible feeling. His international career will be a let down for him. It's just not happening for him

liamoo11
26/05/2019, 5:54 PM
Will it be a 23 man squad for the games?with Alan Browne out that leaves 2 to be cut from the training squad named. One will surely be a defender long or Cunningham I suppose. I would prob keep connell and drop curtis

tetsujin1979
30/05/2019, 9:26 AM
With Connell now out, why not promote Ronan from the Under 21s?

Diggs246
30/05/2019, 9:35 AM
With Connell now out, why not promote Ronan from the Under 21s?

Defo. He might do that very thing after today's training match against the u21s

nigel-harps1954
30/05/2019, 6:35 PM
Defo. He might do that very thing after today's training match against the u21s

Mick might look to play all the under-21s after they beat the senior squad in todays training match..

pineapple stu
30/05/2019, 8:19 PM
Any idea what the line-ups were? Or did everyone get a run at some stage?

Olé Olé
30/05/2019, 10:29 PM
Any idea what the line-ups were? Or did everyone get a run at some stage?

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/report-jack-taylor-brace-secures-u-21-victory

Conor Kearns is praised. Jack Taylor scored twice. Can't find much in the line of line-ups but there's a picture on a fan page on Facebook with Long, Curtis, Hogan and Robinson all in the wall for the seniors. And another of Cullen sliding in for a challenge with a lad I'm not sure of. And another of McGoldrick holding off Dara O'Shea.

Olé Olé
30/05/2019, 10:29 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=913136199018174&id=838477216484073&sfnsn=mo

tetsujin1979
31/05/2019, 2:12 PM
Danish squad announced

tetsujin1979
31/05/2019, 2:13 PM
and the Gibraltar squad

pineapple stu
31/05/2019, 3:26 PM
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/report-jack-taylor-brace-secures-u-21-victory

Conor Kearns is praised. Jack Taylor scored twice. Can't find much in the line of line-ups but there's a picture on a fan page on Facebook with Long, Curtis, Hogan and Robinson all in the wall for the seniors. And another of Cullen sliding in for a challenge with a lad I'm not sure of. And another of McGoldrick holding off Dara O'Shea.
Cheers. That's about all I could find as well.

Diggs246
03/06/2019, 12:06 PM
Shane long out of both games

seanfhear
03/06/2019, 12:25 PM
Whether for good or bad Ericsson did not have a good champions league final . Actually I would say a bad game for him .

samhaydenjr
04/06/2019, 12:12 AM
Shane long out of both games

Crikey, that's four gone home injured... from a training camp! Did Mick pick a car park for training again?!

geysir
04/06/2019, 9:15 PM
Any team predictions? probably something similar to what started v Georgia seeing that Shane Long is out. In that event McGoldrick should retain his place.
I hope he's good at grabbing possession of the high lofted ball :)
There's no way Whelan (if selected) or anybody else will be given the space and time received from the Georgians.

Diggs246
04/06/2019, 10:04 PM
Any team predictions? probably something similar to what started v Georgia seeing that Shane Long is out. In that event McGoldrick should retain his place.
I hope he's good at grabbing possession of the high lofted ball :)
There's no way Whelan (if selected) or anybody else will be given the space and time received from the Georgians.

I would have callum Robinson on the pitch ahead of Brady anyway

elatedscum
06/06/2019, 2:15 PM
My guess is he'll pretty much start the same side who played against Georgia.

I'd be tempted to play Brady ahead of Stevens at left-back (Brady should theoretically give us something from set-pieces) and Robinson out wide (or O'Dowda) although that would be a little harsh on Stevens.

Centre-mid is bereft of options with McCarthy, Arter, Browne all unavailable. I wouldn't be surprised if Cullen was used at some point.