PDA

View Full Version : Maccabi Dublin ??

Pages : [1] 2

Gerrit
22/04/2005, 6:22 PM
I am not sure if this is the right subforum, but here goes...

A few weeks ago I heard from someone I was talking about football to, that the Dublin Jewish community used to have its own football club. I was quite surprised hearing this, cause I never ever heard of it. Not impossible though, maybe they used to have their own club in the amateur leagues (Leinster Senior League i suppose ?)

Does anyone know if such club existed indeed ?

In my native Belgium teams for minority groups are not uncommon at all.

Cities such as Brussels, Ghent and Antwerp have a great number of Turkish and Moroccon immigrants, whereas the Liege region has many Spanish natives. If you go through the tables of Belgian amateur level football, you will see names such as Turkish Rangers, Istanbul Brussels, Furia Espanola, Turkish FC, Croatia Wandre, Diyanet Zaventem, Armenia Brussels, Avrasya Ghent, ...
There are two clubs of Jewish origin: Maccabi Brussels and Maccabi Antwerp.

Also there is a Turkish club in the Dutch top division of amateur football, the German fourth division has Turkiyemspor Berlin, and in Vienna there are several immigrant teams. In the US there's the rather famous Croatia SC in an amateur league somewhere in the central states.

I personally think teams like this are great, most of them are not strictly Jewish/Turkish/Spanish/whatever so they are great effords to bring people from foreign origins/cultures and local population together. Some of these clubs have gotten special awards for their work towards integration of foreigners, I think personally multicultural organisations such as these specific soccer clubs are the best way to fight racism.

Belgium also has several clubs for the Hearing Impaired (I used to go to some of these games) but the league is struggling as only a handful of clubs have enough players. Most clubs switched to indoor football as they couldn't find enough people for an outdoor team :(

Gerrit
22/04/2005, 6:25 PM
Oh yeah, in the Brussels Capital Area's amateur league there is an Irish club, though not all players are of Irish origin. There's also British United and Brussels British.

Argentina has a few clubs with Armenian, Spanish, Italian or even English roots.
Australia used to have Croatia Sydney and Italian-origin team Marconi Stallions, until they were forced to change names as the Australian FA does no longer allow club names referring to ethnical origins.

the 12 th man
22/04/2005, 6:32 PM
did shelbourne not train in the maccabi ground on whitehall rd (near the KCR)in terenure d.6 ?.

it definitely existed alright.

Gerrit
22/04/2005, 6:41 PM
Ah, interesting, I was wondering if the man that told me about it was serious on the existance...

Does it still exist, and was the club effectively named Maccabi ?? The ground still exists ?

Apart from Maccabi, no teams for "special groups" or so it seems... Unless the LSL club Verona is actually an Italian team... Haven't come across any other name indicating that they a specific community of people. Have not seen other counties' amateur league tables yet though, but I'd expect that if such clubs exist it will most likely be in multicultural Dublin, where I only see that club named Verona and may not even consist of Italians ?

the 12 th man
22/04/2005, 6:52 PM

Does it still exist, and was the club effectively named Maccabi ?? The ground still exists ?

afaik its been either built on or has been sold to a developer for building on.
i pass by it frequently so i'll have a look for yeh and tell you whats there.

Kingdom
22/04/2005, 8:50 PM
I know the story here. Dublin Maccabi were the Jewish soccer team in Dublin. They were around up until the mid/late nineties. They weren't very good either I might add(in the schoolboy section anyway).

They did have their own ground on Kimmage Road West and Glenmore used to play there also. It was a nice pitch too pity it was concreted over. The ground was sold to Ben Dunne and it was located where his Carlisle fitness club is now.

There was a cricket pitch there too.

stickyjoe
26/04/2005, 8:22 AM
There is a couple of Russian & Romanian Teams playing in the Junior Leagues.

One Romanian Team I know of is called Romstar Rapid 2000, they play in Division 1 in the Amateur League. There is also a couple of Russian teams, I think one is called Soviet United and they play in the Leinster Junior League.

BTW, Verona arent an Italian team AFAIK. I think there based out in Blanchardstown but are just a local side that have been there for years

Partizan
27/04/2005, 1:03 PM
There is a team in Argentina called Vellez Sarsfield (Patrick Sarsfield). Any Irish connection there with...you know with the existence of an Irish ex-pat community in Buenos Aires, Che Guevara's Irish roots from his mother's side, John Browne from Mayo the founder of the Argentine Navy and a certain Bernardo O'Higgins next door in Chile.

Makes you wonder huh! :confused:

Terry
27/04/2005, 1:24 PM
don't know if its true :confused: but there is a team playing in argentina called newell's old boys. I was told it was founded by a priest from Ireland.

drummerboy
27/04/2005, 1:47 PM
Remember playing against Macabbi during the 80s.They had fine pitch and club house in Terenure. Glenmore also played there. Very sad to see it go. IT was something similar to the YMCA in Sandymount, who also havea cricket team. They wouldn't play football on Sunday because of their religion and brought a case agians the league who tried to make them play a cup tie on a Sunday. Verona have a nice set up but no connetion with Italy.

Sheridan
27/04/2005, 2:02 PM
I see from Monday's Junior Football supplement in the Herald that a team called Red Star, composed entirely of players with Romanian names (they could equally be Moldovan, I suppose) lost 4-2 after extra time to Belclare Celtic in the final of the Loftus Cup last weekend. They currently lie second (behind Belclare) in Division 3 Sunday of the AFL.

Aer Lingus linked up with Sport Against Racism in Ireland to form Aer Lingus/SARI, a team which drew the lion's share of its squad from the immigrant community, but the association didn't last long and they've since reverted to plain old Aer Lingus.

drummerboy
27/04/2005, 2:05 PM
I see from Monday's Junior Football supplement in the Herald that a team called Red Star, composed entirely of players with Romanian names (they could equally be Moldovan, I suppose) lost 4-2 after extra time to Belclare Celtic in the final of the Loftus Cup last weekend. They currently lie second (behind Belclare) in Division 3 Sunday of the AFL.

Aer Lingus linked up with Sport Against Racism in Ireland to form Aer Lingus/SARI, a team which drew the lion's share of its squad from the immigrant community, but the association didn't last long and they've since reverted to plain old Aer Lingus.

Yes seen them play at start of last season, main Africans with a few Romanians, they looked very useful but were relegated before the season ended.

Éanna
27/04/2005, 2:22 PM
AFAIK, there's a Benfica women's team around somewhere. There's also Internatzionale Kenmare. Are that SARI (sport against racism) team playing LSL as well?

drummerboy
27/04/2005, 2:29 PM
AFAIK, there's a Benfica women's team around somewhere. There's also Internatzionale Kenmare. Are that SARI (sport against racism) team playing LSL as well?

No, started off last season with 2 teams. One dropped out before Xmas. The other finished off season but the club reverted to Aer Lingus with local players this season.

OwlsFan
27/04/2005, 3:01 PM
I know the story here. Dublin Maccabi were the Jewish soccer team in Dublin. They were around up until the mid/late nineties. They weren't very good either I might add(in the schoolboy section anyway).

They did have their own ground on Kimmage Road West and Glenmore used to play there also. It was a nice pitch too pity it was concreted over. The ground was sold to Ben Dunne and it was located where his Carlisle fitness club is now.

There was a cricket pitch there too.

I played them both in soccer and cricket. The soccer team was Maccabi as you say and the cricket team was Carlisle Cricket Team. They approached our cricket club about a merger 15 years ago because they couldn't keep going due to the decrease in the Jewish community in Dublin. We preferred to soldier on as we were but they had fantastic facilities. For our home cricket games, each player is delegated to make the sandwiches for a given match. I remember once the guy who made them for the game against Carlisle didn't know much about Jewish customs and made nothing but pork sandwiches. Very embarrassing :o :D

Dotsy
27/04/2005, 3:43 PM
I played against Maccaabi in the early nineties. We were playing in the UCL at that time so I asume they were also.

Partizan
27/04/2005, 4:18 PM
Eanna,

The Benfica team you speak about is the premier Waterford ladies side who have two teams at the mo. One plays in the LFAI Premier league which is Dublin based while the second string plays in the South East based league, AFAIK. No connection with the famous Lisbon club.

btw can anyone shed any light about Velez Sarsfield, Buenos Aires third club after Boca and River Plate. There is a strong Irish presence believe it or not in Argentina re: the Buenos Aires Hurling Club. :cool:

Partizan
27/04/2005, 4:24 PM
oh by the way there is a Church in Canada called the Waterford United Church

check it out.

http://www.kwic.com/~waterforduc/

nice to know we have God on our side. :p :D

CollegeTillIDie
27/04/2005, 7:35 PM

Yes Éanna you are correct about that! Benfica Women's Soccer Club's senior team play in the Dublin Women's Soccer League Premier Division in spite of being based in Waterford. Other teams of interest in this Division are... Shamrock Rovers, UCD and Dundalk. Bray Wanderers narrowly missed out on promotion to the top Division last year and Dublin City are also one Division below the Premier. St.Patrick's Athletic have schoolgirl teams and will be entering an adult team next year when their Under 16 team goes overage for that League.
Benfica also have an Intermediate side which plays in the Wexford Premier Division and Under 16 and Under 13 teams which play in the recently merged Kilkenny/Waterford Schoolgirls League.

The Portuguese version do not have a Women's team so the Blues are the only Benfica Women's soccer team in Europe to my knowledge. Founded in 1965 this is their 40th anniversary.

CollegeTillIDie
27/04/2005, 7:37 PM
In one of the lesser Leagues in Dublin there is Hot Press Moenchengladbach

The UCD Superleague used to have teams called Theyall Betis, Partizan Belfield and Kiddiemincing Harriers :)

Éanna
27/04/2005, 10:08 PM
heard of a team in a rag week tournament in UL called Beercelona :D

stojkovic
28/04/2005, 10:03 AM
Team in Bray called BRAYZIL

There was also a team called LAZIO who played in Dublin, southside, had a pitch up the mountains I think. They were all Italians. They were still going about five years ago but Ive heard nothing since.

Ash
28/04/2005, 10:05 AM
I knew rag weeks team in Sligo RTC called:
- Mighty Morphing Power Rovers
- Sporting Lesbian
- Real-Ale Madrid
- Not Very Athletico

Aldini98
28/04/2005, 10:47 AM
- Sporting Lesbian
- Real-Ale Madrid
- Not Very Athletico

Brilliant !!!!

I remember Maccabi Dublin alright, we played them in the South Dublin League. They weren't up too much. I remember we were cracking jokes about pork and such like not really understanding what we were saying - well we were only about 10-12 years old. We were losing 3-0 to them on a very wind swept Sunday morning at half time, and still beat them 5-3.

Ash
28/04/2005, 11:03 AM
on another note, in my younger days I played for a team in the
Athlone District Schoolboy League called "Pioneers"

My parents thought this was a great first step to a healthy alcohol
and smoke free life ... my my how disappointed they are :D

I always wondered if there was any connection between Verona on the
way to Blanch and Hellas Verona in Italy.

There used to be a team in the Roscommon & District League called Santa Cruz.
Dont know if they're still about

drummerboy
28/04/2005, 11:44 AM

There is a team in the lower regions of the LSL called Pioneers. They have been going for over 50 years and are still supposedly TTs.

Sheridan
28/04/2005, 11:54 AM
There is a team in the lower regions of the LSL called Pioneers. They have been going for over 50 years and are still supposedly TTs.
Are they related to the Pioneers club which competed in the League of Ireland during the 1920s (and were once thumped 10-2 by Shams?)

dcfcsteve
28/04/2005, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=drummerboyThey wouldn't play football on Sunday because of their religion and brought a case agians the league who tried to make them play a cup tie on a Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Really ?? But the Jewish Sabbath runs from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday. Sunday is just a normal weekday working day over in Israel, so don't see why they wouldn't play footie then on religious grounds? Maybe they were just afraid they'd get humped...? :D

dcfcsteve
28/04/2005, 12:17 PM
There's a team in the top Swedish division called Assyriska FC.

They are considered the unofficial national team of Assyria (an ancient country that straddles modern-day Iraq, Turkey, Syria and Iran). The Assyrians have their own ancient language, and unusually for the Middle East are a Christian people (the first nation converted to Christianity, in fact).

Their country no longer exists and they have been dispersed all over the world. The Assyrians in Sweden set-up their own team that slowly rose its way through the ranks, gaining promotion to the top Swedish division last year.

Amateur leagues and lower leagues all around the world are full of ethnic teams, because it's very, very easy to set one up. All you need is 15 male players and a bit of form filling. London has a number of different ethnic leagues, let alone teams - including a gay league - and has a successful gay team (Stonewall FC) who play at a decent amateur level alongside 'straight' teams.

There was talk about 10 years ago of the Romanian community in Ireland looking to get a team into the League of Ireland. It didn't progress very far though. I remember at the time there being a few grumbles from people about it not being right. The irony of Celtic FC-loving Ireland complaining about an immigrant community team seeking membership of a league ! You couldn't make it up....

drummerboy
28/04/2005, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=drummerboyThey wouldn't play football on Sunday because of their religion and brought a case agians the league who tried to make them play a cup tie on a Sunday.

Really ?? But the Jewish Sabbath runs from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday. Sunday is just a normal weekday working day over in Israel, so don't see why they wouldn't play footie then on religious grounds? Maybe they were just afraid they'd get humped...? :D[/QUOTE]

I was refeferring to YMCA not Macabbi. YMCA only played on Saturdays. They have now amalgated with Mount Merrion YMCA but now play on Sundays.

anto eile
28/04/2005, 1:56 PM
Ah, interesting, I was wondering if the man that told me about it was serious on the existance...

Apart from Maccabi, no teams for "special groups" or so it seems... Unless the LSL club Verona is actually an Italian team... Haven't come across any other name indicating that they a specific community of people. Have not seen other counties' amateur league tables yet though, but I'd expect that if such clubs exist it will most likely be in multicultural Dublin, where I only see that club named Verona and may not even consist of Italians ?
verona are not italian.
there is a romanian (romstar2000 i think is the name).
and a turkish (anatolyans), deaf team (st vincents) and russian (soviet union fc) playing in the leinster football league

anto eile
28/04/2005, 1:59 PM
There is a team in Argentina called Vellez Sarsfield (Patrick Sarsfield). Any Irish connection there with...you know with the existence of an Irish ex-pat community in Buenos Aires, Che Guevara's Irish roots from his mother's side, John Browne from Mayo the founder of the Argentine Navy and a certain Bernardo O'Higgins next door in Chile.

Makes you wonder huh! :confused:
ive checked the vélez website, but no reference to any irishman.
almirante brown (3rd div) is named after william brown.theres also another lower division team named after him afaik

che guevaras irish side was his fathers,they were called lynch.his fathers name was Ernesto Guevara Lynch

Karlos
28/04/2005, 2:01 PM
as far as I know Maccabi changed their name or at least a large number of their players left and formed Parkvale FC in the late nineties which was made up of all or predominently jewish players. I played against them 4 times between 1999 and 2001 in the amatuer league before they left to go to another league. Beat them in a playoff to gain promotion to the Major Division of the Amatuer League which is about the only highlight in my glittering career (sic)!!!

They were a good team, hard but fair. Plently of ding dong battles and without trying to sterotype I did notice that there was a large number who wore spurs shirts before games which definetly helped my motivation!!!! :)

anto eile
28/04/2005, 2:04 PM
don't know if its true :confused: but there is a team playing in argentina called newell's old boys. I was told it was founded by a priest from Ireland.

founded by isaac newell from kent in england
their rivals are Rosario Central, of which the aforementioned che guevara was a supporter....(though he preferred rugby)

Da Real Rover
28/04/2005, 2:05 PM
Im not sure about Velez but i read somewhere that boca juniors were formed by an irish priest and that river plate were formed by a group of english miners or something like that. I guess thats where some of the rivalry has come from. There is a large irish community living in Argentina, something like 400,000.There is a small team in Chile who have O'Higgins in their teams name (another great sligo man).And the priest who formed Celtic was from sligo too. Also Panathinaikos were formed by an irish priest which explains there green strip and the shamrock in there crest. If you ever watch Pana home games they often have the tri-colour at the games. Hasn't Ajax got some conections with the jewish community in Holland.

anto eile
28/04/2005, 2:09 PM
There was talk about 10 years ago of the Romanian community in Ireland looking to get a team into the League of Ireland. It didn't progress very far though. I remember at the time there being a few grumbles from people about it not being right. The irony of Celtic FC-loving Ireland complaining about an immigrant community team seeking membership of a league ! You couldn't make it up....

that was romstar western union.they played in the phoenix park. they were kciked out of the league for fighting on-pitch. the reason why i would object to them playing in the eircom league would be becasue they were an amateur team playing in a public park.you cant jsut ahave any amateur outfit looking for EL membership. there as no real campaign to get them in the el either. they simply said on the soccer show they would like to progress up the league and eventually make it into the EL sometime.a casual statement thats all

sorry for the multiple posts,its just im replying to each post as i read them!

anto eile
28/04/2005, 2:17 PM
Im not sure about Velez but i read somewhere that boca juniors were formed by an irish priest and that river plate were formed by a group of english miners or something like that. I guess thats where some of the rivalry has come from. There is a large irish community living in Argentina, something like 400,000.There is a small team in Chile who have O'Higgins in their teams name (another great sligo man).And the priest who formed Celtic was from sligo too. Also Panathinaikos were formed by an irish priest which explains there green strip and the shamrock in there crest. If you ever watch Pana home games they often have the tri-colour at the games. Hasn't Ajax got some conections with the jewish community in Holland.

patrick mccarthy was the irishman supposedly who founded boca.however the official history mentions simply a group of italian immigrants founded the club.
400,000 argentines are of irish descent. in the 1800s 40,000 irish emigrated to argentina.20,000 of which subsequently re-emigrated mostly to the usa.
the rivalry between boca nad river has nothing to do with irish-english rivalry.bocas chosen colors are a great story btw

o'higgins football club was named after bernardo o'higgins,son of ambrose o'higgins.bernardo was a virtual dictator in chile,was turfed out and sent inti exile in peru.

Panathinaikos have no connection to ireland.they were originally founded by a group of englishmen.they originally wore red.the shamrock is a lucky symbol in greece,thats why pao use it.they also have green brother links to Rovers ultras and rapid wien.you do see many tricolors at the pao games,the colors being the main reason i suppose.

ajax used to have minor connections to the jewish community but this has been blown out of all proportion these days.its bizarre that ajax fans have adopted the star of david as a fans logo.amsterdam had the largest group of jews in holland,so this was shown proportionately in the jewish support for ajax.the jewish thing is a cult thing for ajax.theyre not really a jewish club at all

palestino play in chile.theyre the palestinian club in the chilean league

Ash
28/04/2005, 2:44 PM
The shamrock in Panas crest is a trifol plant (or something like that)
which grows particularly well in that region, hence they put it on the
crest (as far as I know anyway)

Nothing to do with an Irish priest or anything like that

Aberdonian Stu
28/04/2005, 2:55 PM
- Sporting Lesbian
- Real-Ale Madrid
- Not Very Athletico

Sporting Lesbians is also a team that have been knocking round the UCD Superleague for years, Real-Ale Madrid had a few years in it too.

In my first season the division I played had Inter Uranus, Our lads are hard, Purple Headed Warriors, Muff Divers Utd (who chnaged their name to 69ers because there was already a team called Muff Divers in the league). Bit strange that. We were called Real Krapp, although in spite of our name we won the title, Pineapple Stu played for Theyall Betis, other classics include Hunts up Front, Real Sociopath, KKK Gothenberg, AC Slater, and If there's grass.

Da Real Rover
28/04/2005, 5:16 PM
Anto eile i didn't actually mean that bocas and rivers rivalry stems from boca been founded by an irishman i know that it comes from the fact that both clubs were located in the slums of Buenes Aires but then River picked up and located to the rich area of the city. This is one of the main reasons for there rivalry as there looked on as oposites in the game as boca are seen as the peoples club and river the rich mans club. I remember when mary mc aleese visited Argentina that RTE mentioned those figures which i was very surprised about, so you could be right or wrong but there is still a siseable amount of irish immigrants living in Buenes Aires.I know how they got there colours, from the swedish flag they saw on a boat.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter so maybe O'Higgins was a tyrant and maybe he was a liberator but he did free chile from spain. He must still have his fans out there if there willing to name clubs after him and give him an honoury role in their history.

Why don't Pana fans wave around italian flags, mexican flags or even ivoary coast flags cause the all have green in there flags. Its a bit more than a coincedence. They were unofficialy set up by an irish monk.

I remember talking to a dutch man who was a Utrecht fan but he sateted that the owners of Ajax are Jewish and so they have a few Jewish fans.

dcfcsteve
28/04/2005, 6:27 PM
ajax used to have minor connections to the jewish community but this has been blown out of all proportion these days.its bizarre that ajax fans have adopted the star of david as a fans logo.amsterdam had the largest group of jews in holland,so this was shown proportionately in the jewish support for ajax.the jewish thing is a cult thing for ajax.theyre not really a jewish club at all

Ajax's Jewish 'identity' developed over the years - in part due to the large Jewish population within Amsterdam, and in part as a reaction to Feyenoord's more right-wing support. They're 'Jewish' in the same way that Spurs are - i.e. large numbers of the Jewish community in each country identify with them. Spurs have the added reason of being based on the edge of the centre of London's large orthodox Jewish community (Stamford Hill, North-East London). But neither were set-up by or for the Jewish communities.

Gerrit
28/04/2005, 9:54 PM
verona are not italian.
there is a romanian (romstar2000 i think is the name).
and a turkish (anatolyans), deaf team (st vincents) and russian (soviet union fc) playing in the leinster football league

on the website of Leinster Senior League I found nothing about those teams, but thanks to anyone who gave great replies in this topic. For a collector of addresses and historical info on football teams, this topic is a gift of God/Allah/Jahweh. Thanks a lot :) On which grounds do all these teams play ? I'd like to catch a game of them and photograph the grounds.

Didn't know there were enough Turkish people for a club in Dublin. I'd rather have expected Chinese/Asian teams and Eastern European teams, as they seem rather represented in Dublin.
As a PS: Soviet Union FC has a bit a strange name as the country disappeared after communism was dismantled, and though I have absolutely no problem with the name I wouldn't be surprised some people link it to communism.

Where does St Vincents play ?? I have a degree as translator for the Deaf and the Blind, so this surely interests me. In Belgium I saw several games of the Deaf League and deaf national team, but the Deaf League (mixed league for deaf teams from Belgium and Holland) was turned into an indoor/futsal league because of lack of players for outdoor football. Ireland has no Deaf League ??

The gay team in London's quite famous yeah. There is a gay league in England with 13 teams as well, as well as a Jewish league. I don't like the word "gay league" as 'gay' seems a bit an insulting word for a homosexual, but they call it "gay league" themselves so apparently it's just me being afraid to insult perfectly nice people.

Belgium also has a prisoner's league since shortly. 10 prisons entered a team in it, and the prison of Charleroi (notorious for its many long-term convicts) won the first edition. The prison of Hoogstraten (near Antwerp and the Dutch border) entered a team in a local "regular" amateur league and even won the league, but they had an advantage as every game of them was a home game: they weren't authorised to leave prison to play an away game, so the away games were played on the ground within the prison walls as well.

anto eile
29/04/2005, 2:57 PM
The shamrock in Panas crest is a trifol plant (or something like that)

triflara being greek for shamrock

anto eile
29/04/2005, 3:03 PM
I know how they got there colours, from the swedish flag they saw on a boat.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter so maybe O'Higgins was a tyrant and maybe he was a liberator but he did free chile from spain. He must still have his fans out there if there willing to name clubs after him and give him an honoury role in their history.

Why don't Pana fans wave around italian flags, mexican flags or even ivoary coast flags cause the all have green in there flags. Its a bit more than a coincedence. They were unofficialy set up by an irish monk.

I remember talking to a dutch man who was a Utrecht fan but he sateted that the owners of Ajax are Jewish and so they have a few Jewish fans.

bocas original colors were black and white stripes.but they lost a game v another team who also wore black and white.they played for the right to keep the colors,to avoid a color clash.boca lost.while sitting in the docks in BA, bocas founders decided to choose the colors of the next boat to have as their teams colors.a swedish ship was next into the ahrbor.ergo bocas colors.

i said nothing good or bad bout o'higgins.i didnt say he was a terrorist,or freedom fighter.he was an autocrat.you can be a good dictator,or a bad dictator.i made no reference to him being either.in fact he did actually bring in some good social policies in chile.

PAO have no connection to ireland.

go onto www.greenwebfans.co.uk or www.greenwebfans.com and ask on a forum why they wave irish flags.but its not cause they were founded by irishmen.

ajax had a couple of jewish presidents over the years.but not now.the jewish thing is over-played by their fans

Karlos
29/04/2005, 3:06 PM
on the website of Leinster Senior League I found nothing about those teams, but thanks to anyone who gave great replies in this topic. .

Try the amateur football league for romstar rapid 2000 information - they play in division 1 on a sunday

http://www.amateurfootballleague.com

anto eile
29/04/2005, 3:16 PM
1: on the website of Leinster Senior League I found nothing about those teams, but thanks to anyone who gave great replies in this topic.

2: Didn't know there were enough Turkish people for a club in Dublin. I'd rather have expected Chinese/Asian teams and Eastern European teams, as they seem rather represented in Dublin.
As a PS: Soviet Union FC has a bit a strange name as the country disappeared after communism was dismantled, and though I have absolutely no problem with the name I wouldn't be surprised some people link it to communism.

3:Where does St Vincents play ?? I have a degree as translator for the Deaf and the Blind, so this surely interests me. In Belgium I saw several games of the Deaf League and deaf national team, but the Deaf League (mixed league for deaf teams from Belgium and Holland) was turned into an indoor/futsal league because of lack of players for outdoor football. Ireland has no Deaf League ??

1:check leinster football league for thse teams.rté 2 aertel page 546 http://www.rte.ie/aertel/aertelplus/p546.htm or you can search for the leinster football league website, (if they have a website)
also some teams may play in AUL,UCL,AFL etc leagues.there are many different amateur leagues apart from LSL

2:soviet union and anatolyans play in leinster football league.a different league to leinster senior league. LSL is the highest amateur league before the eircom league.LFL is much lower.
you only need 15 players to get a team so dont need a big community really for an ethnic team.anatolyans at the moment are suspended from the league after a controversial game against robin hood fc (think it ended in a fight [because robinhood are dirty ba$tard$] or anatolyans walked off).i think anatolyans will be back in the league next season though

3:St Vincents play in leinster football league division 2 sunday.they play in the grounds of the deaf school on the navan road in cabra.[they are in my teams league (Shamrock Rovers supporters club team)]
check again here http://www.rte.ie/aertel/aertelplus/p546.htm for st vincents fixtures.theyre not all deaf,most of their players you would class as hard-of-hearing not so much deaf

hamish
29/04/2005, 3:35 PM

No Ash, they were fcuked out last season 'cos they were always fighting but they were a 100% Brazilian team - lot of them worked in some meat packing plant - in the news a lot, Hanley's, I think or some name like that.
Isn't there a club in the Chilean secodn division called O'Higgins - I think one of the guys mentioned it above.
There was a short lived outfit in the Sligo-Leitrim League called Croe or Crowe Alexandria, I'm led to believe.
My favourites in the country are Dynamo Rooskey and Spartak Dynamo.
I think I played a number of games against Pioneers a good few years ago, Noel Larkin was in the team - it was a summer league in the seventies and in St. Mel's Park too!!!

hamish
29/04/2005, 3:40 PM
triflara being greek for shamrock
Hey Anto Eile, someone told me that Turbine tried to debunk that a few weeks ago. I know for a fact that loads of LOI clubs used to get St. Patrick's Day cards from Pana - in fact, I have one somewhere - nicked it off the then Athlone secretary!

anto eile
29/04/2005, 4:18 PM
http://www.paocyberfans.com/history.html

http://forums.soccerfansnetwork.com/showthread.php?t=22059
find the bull seeing red story a bit far-fetched, as bulls are color blind. they only get annoyed at the person waving a flag at him,not necessarily annoyed coz its a red flag though

hamish
29/04/2005, 4:25 PM
Cheers for that - that's a first for the Turbine so - got something right about football. Still have the Paddy's Day card - wonder why they sent them??? Just curious.