PDA

View Full Version : Celtic to sell Lennon

Eire06
22/04/2005, 12:45 PM
Reports in Yesterdays papers suggest that Celtic are planning on selling Lennon in order to free up some cash to buy Bellamy...

Anyone know is there much truth to this.
I hope not, I think Lennon is an important part of the team and would be very sad to see him go :(

thecorner
22/04/2005, 1:04 PM
cant see many clubs coming in for a has-been

u never know eire06, he might still be at ur beloved celtic

ciaran76
22/04/2005, 2:08 PM
For a player who can only pass sideways or backwards he is going to be lucky to get into any other team. I have seen him pass forwards a few times but it only to someone about 5 yards ahead of him.

He is one player i never rated.

Must admit this is all based on games i have seen on tv ove rthe last 5-6 years. I have never seen him play in the flesh so might have a different opinion after that.

Soper
22/04/2005, 2:46 PM
Whenever I see him play, Celtic would have an attacking move going, he'd be just outside the box...and he'd launch a 50 yeard backpass :confused:

ciaran76
22/04/2005, 3:00 PM
Whenever I see him play, Celtic would have an attacking move going, he'd be just outside the box...and he'd launch a 50 yeard backpass :confused:

Forgot to say my mate goes to about 10-15 Celtic games a year and he reckons Lennon is the best. Says he is the Lynchpin of the team and that he controls what speed the games goes at etc etc.

I am sure Celtic fans will prob. back my mate up on this later this evening ;)

Soper
22/04/2005, 3:10 PM
Forgot to say my mate goes to about 10-15 Celtic games a year and he reckons Lennon is the best. Says he is the Lynchpin of the team and that he controls what speed the games goes at etc etc.

I am sure Celtic fans will prob. back my mate up on this later this evening ;)
haha thats always the way.

stickyjoe
22/04/2005, 3:19 PM
have to disagree with yous there lads.

i think the job lennon does for celtic and previously leicester is the same role makelele does for chelsea. breaks the play down brillaintly. admittedly he doesnt attack much, but thats the way that kind of role needs to be played.

when he left leicester they were flying high in premiership & rampant in cup competitions. club has never been the same since.

and i think that has more to do with lennon leaving then o`neill leaving

and celtic will get nothing for him if he does leave because i think his contract is up in the summer

Eire06
22/04/2005, 3:28 PM
have to disagree with yous there lads.

i think the job lennon does for celtic and previously leicester is the same role makelele does for chelsea. breaks the play down brillaintly. admittedly he doesnt attack much, but thats the way that kind of role needs to be played.

when he left leicester they were flying high in premiership & rampant in cup competitions. club has never been the same since.

and i think that has more to do with lennon leaving then o`neill leaving

and celtic will get nothing for him if he does leave because i think his contract is up in the summer

Ya agree with you there, Think he does control the flow of the game..

They won't get any money for him but it'll free up the amount he's getting in wages he's one of the hightest payed players...

Mind you this came from the Star so don't know how much truth is in it..
It also said that all the fans want to sign Bellamy and are putting pressure on the club to secure a deal to get him, think there might be a different tune if they hear they have to sacrafice Lennon for him..
Ya he's a class player and been working well since he came to Celtic, but wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him...

Junior
22/04/2005, 3:32 PM
looks likely to sign a 1 year extension according to bbc. Lennon wants to stay, O'Neill wants him to stay, so unless the offer is derisery I think he'll be at Celtic Park next year.

Lennon has been fabulous for Celtic. Im a fan of his and I still do get frustrated at his lack of forward passes, but you cannot dispute his work rate, the amount of ball winning and posession retention through simple passes. He is absolutely fundamental to the team, afterall there are 3 or 4 other midfielders for creativity and attacking.

Aberdonian Stu
22/04/2005, 4:06 PM
His ability aside the main stumbling block in getting decent money for him is that he is getting on and only has a couple of years left at best.

Gerrit
22/04/2005, 5:09 PM
I don't see Celtic play that often, but the games I've seen of them Lennon was far from bad. Maybe Pat Fenlon should check this topic... ;)

Soper
22/04/2005, 5:57 PM
you lot have me converted.

i have seen a few matches where he hasn't impressed me, but i must be picky.