PDA

View Full Version : No God save the Queen at Croker

OwlsFan
22/04/2005, 12:32 PM
At least according to the heading in today's Herald. Won't have effect on soccer (but if we draw England I suspect FIFA would have a rule about it) but rugby - now, they may have problems. Or maybe it's just the Herald stirring it.

Stuttgart88
22/04/2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think they play GSTQ at Lansdowne rugby games anyway, could be wrong though...

Tired&Emotional
22/04/2005, 1:09 PM
The Herald have a bad habit of controversial one-liners to sell their afternoon editions - they usually have nothing else in them but the Small ads !

eirebhoy
22/04/2005, 1:10 PM
I don't think they play GSTQ at Lansdowne rugby games anyway, could be wrong though...
Yeah, they do. I remember in my local for the most recent Ireland-England game the oul' fella's telling the barman to lower it down.

Green Tribe
22/04/2005, 1:18 PM
Oh they do surely, what else would they play for Inguurland

Donal81
22/04/2005, 1:18 PM
Do England rugby teams not play Swing Low, Sweet Chariot?

Anyway, I read the story on my lunch (I didn't buy that miserable rag, I read it while queueing up) and there's absolutely nothing in it. They ask Sean Kelly will the GAA put on a ban on English national anthems and flags in Croker, Kelly doesn't say yes or no, he doesn't get into it.

If England come here to play rugby, whatever anthem they have will be played in Croker, I'm sure of it. From personal experience, don't trust one word you read in the Evening Herald.

paul_oshea
22/04/2005, 1:20 PM
ya they always play it at the rugby. i remember being there that time they wouldnt move, and that fooken song made the hairs stand on the back of me neck and shiver.

no harm if it is true, i brought this up on another site, i dont think it should be played nor the flag flown. the english will really hate that.

fifa would also have to make an exception i reckon

Green Tribe
22/04/2005, 1:20 PM
no, only the fans sing that swing low carry-on

Donal81
22/04/2005, 1:43 PM
ya they always play it at the rugby. i remember being there that time they wouldnt move, and that fooken song made the hairs stand on the back of me neck and shiver.

no harm if it is true, i brought this up on another site, i dont think it should be played nor the flag flown. the english will really hate that.

fifa would also have to make an exception i reckon

How would you feel if we played a game in England and they said that they couldn't fly the tricolour or play Amhran na bhFiann because the IRA had merrily bombed its way around England for the past 30 years?

Give me a break. If England happen to play a game here, they've got a right to hear their national anthem as much as we do.

Macy
22/04/2005, 1:53 PM
Well no problem with Advance Australia Fair, and it's lines about Britannia ruling the waves, how great those under the Union Flag were, how they keep a British soul etc.

harps1954
22/04/2005, 2:02 PM
In 1990 when we played England at Lansdowne Road in a Euro 92 qualifer, there was no English anthem played. When we travelled to Wembley in March 1991 for the return game, there was no Irish anthem played there. There was always an agreement between the English FA and the FAI that only the home anthem's would be played. That was until Big Jack complained.

Can you remember the night of the riot in Lansdowne when God saved the Queen was played - remember the booing from the entire Irish crowd towards it.

Stuttgart88
22/04/2005, 2:30 PM
Can you remember the night of the riot in Lansdowne when God saved the Queen was played - remember the booing from the entire Irish crowd towards it.

That's not my recollection at all. In fact I thought it was noticeable that it was a clear, albeit audible, minority. Predominantly from the Sth Terrace. Nobody near me on the Nth Terrace booed.

There was a mutually poisonous atmosphere at the 1990 game but there was a much more receptive / friendly mood among the Irish at the '95 game.

I always bang on to my English mates how we respect other teams' anthems, even theirs. But I got out the tape of the Euro '88 game in stuttgart a few years ago and the booing of GSTQ was really loud!

gspain
22/04/2005, 2:32 PM
In 1990 when we played England at Lansdowne Road in a Euro 92 qualifer, there was no English anthem played. When we travelled to Wembley in March 1991 for the return game, there was no Irish anthem played there. There was always an agreement between the English FA and the FAI that only the home anthem's would be played. That was until Big Jack complained.

My memory is that A na bhF was played at Wembley and there was no such agreement according to the English FA and they were unhappy that GSTQ was not played in Dublin.

There was an agreement from 88-93 when we played Northern Ireland.

Most of the neanderthals opposed to opening Croke Park reckon GSTQ is the national anthem for the Irish teams in football and rugby anyway.

stickyjoe
22/04/2005, 2:38 PM
they should be allowed play their anthem and fly their flag.

if the same was being done to ireland and the tricolour, we`d be outraged and crying bigotry...

stojkovic
22/04/2005, 2:59 PM

The Irish anthem was played at Wembley that night, I was there too. The following day in the papers, Jack was slated as he mimed along to the words and was called a traitor.

Stuttgart in 88, yes GSTQ was booed with great intensity and they didnt like the favour being returned to them as they had booed everyones for years.

Still we're all friends now, in Europe and all.

Adrianovic
22/04/2005, 5:12 PM
I think in the event of drawing England, they should have their anthem played, wave their flags and then let the lads on the pitch set about trying to beat them at football - not politics.

I suppose though, its never as clear cut as that.

Ade

brine3
22/04/2005, 5:55 PM
I can remember when the IRFU only played out own anthem at Lansdowne Road and never the away team's. I can remember this was so in 1991, because Ireland were playing Australia and no Ozzie anthem was played. I'm not sure when that rule was lifted.

I can imagine a lot of GAA people will hate hearing GTSQ at Croker, but it's time for them to bury the hatchet and wake up. I don't like hearing that anthem either, but it's their anthem and they should be allowed to play it.

4tothefloor
22/04/2005, 7:25 PM
Our anthem was definately played at Wembley cos I remember singing it.

Whatever about GSTQ being played at the England rugby matches, the IRFU only play our own anthem now and again, which is a joke. That pathetic 'Irelands Call' is the biggest load of PC bull**** that i've ever seen. If the likes of David Humphries don't want\like to stand for it, they should go and play for England. He's wearing green, playing for the shamrock, in Dublin........what do they expect like? :rolleyes:

If England ever play at Croker, their anthem has to be played and flags flown. The rugby crowd would insist on it. They're very la-di-da regarding these things in rugby land. The term 'fan rivalry' doesn't exist in rugby. Soccer is a different scenario though. I doubt if England would even get a ticket allocation for a game in Dublin, and FIFA\UEFA could even insist themselves that no anthem be played

Donal81
22/04/2005, 7:59 PM
Lads, when the cities of England were living in terror from the next IRA bomb, a lot of normal, decent Irish people in those cities got battered for it and were made to feel ashamed of something they had nothing to do with. The English fans coming over to watch a game of rugby or soccer aren't members of the Black and Tans that murdered those innocent people on Bloody Sunday. And they're not the paratroopers that killed innocent Derry people on the next Bloody Sunday. And they're not Oliver Cromwell, Randolph Churchill, Winston Churchill, Lloyd George, Bonar Law, Basil Brooke, Edward Carson, Brian Faulkner or Margaret Thatcher either. They've got a scumbag contingent, sure, but otherwise they're decent people with a right to sing their anthem if we're singing ours. Hate the government and fume over the history books, sure, but leave that at the door when going to watch a game of football.

The sooner Irish people realise that the Irish and the English are inter-related, the better.

Colie
23/04/2005, 1:11 AM
Looks like eveyone agrees, we're going to let them have he anthem in Crokers. There's really no point in any more posts unless someone doesn't want to let them have GSTQ.

Snoop Drog
23/04/2005, 3:22 AM
Well no problem with Advance Australia Fair, and it's lines about Britannia ruling the waves, how great those under the Union Flag were, how they keep a British soul etc.

Only in the second verse Macy & generally only the first verse is played/sung at formal occassions. Whatever about Aussies knowing the first verse, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who knows the second.

I can't understand the problem with playing GSTQ. But I'll tell ya- odds on we get England in the Euro qualifiers. Our Gah brothers at Croke Park will have a fit if we do :D

CollegeTillIDie
23/04/2005, 8:45 AM
Compromise solution

Play God Save The Queen...... by the Sex Pistols ! :D

CollegeTillIDie
23/04/2005, 8:59 AM

So no lines about stealing Aboriginal land treating them in a similar manner to apartheid and basically driving them to drink then? thought not :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
23/04/2005, 9:07 AM
Some so called liberals in this country think our National Anthem is violent and needs to be replaced! (Or maybe the lines "Sin na Fianna Fáil" cause FG and Labour voters problems :D )

They obviously have not looked at the later verses of God Save the Queen or indeed the Star Spangled Banner or indeed the Marseillaise, but if we were to change the anthem it would have to be something that reflects us as a people. Now Ireland's rugby anthem "Ireland's Call" is only dire so that won't do!

So something fresh is required and would have to be sung as Gaeilge.
Therefore the English version would have to include the following lines in it
" Get up the yard there's a heifer on the loose" to reflect our rural agricultural base (i.e. there are 15,000,000 livestock in the Republic) and "Deadly buzz bud!" to reflect the urban base!
............ On the whole I prefer Amhran na bhFian! :p

Colbert Report
23/04/2005, 11:46 PM
I can grin and bear it for three or four minutes, let them have their anthem. If they wouldn't let us have ours, I would be outraged.

Éanna
24/04/2005, 12:27 AM
I can grin and bear it for three or four minutes, let them have their anthem. If they wouldn't let us have ours, I would be outraged.
spot on. its a bloody song, the words are not offensive, so why get all worked up about it

sylvo
24/04/2005, 8:46 AM
Compromise solution

Play God Save The Queen...... by the Sex Pistols ! :D

Now your talking :D

They could get John Lydon to sing it before the match live.
Nooo future, noooo future, nooo future for youuuuu.

Andyh
24/04/2005, 10:56 AM
Lads, when the cities of England were living in terror from the next IRA bomb, a lot of normal, decent Irish people in those cities got battered for it and were made to feel ashamed of something they had nothing to do with. The English fans coming over to watch a game of rugby or soccer aren't members of the Black and Tans that murdered those innocent people on Bloody Sunday. And they're not the paratroopers that killed innocent Derry people on the next Bloody Sunday. And they're not Oliver Cromwell, Randolph Churchill, Winston Churchill, Lloyd George, Bonar Law, Basil Brooke, Edward Carson, Brian Faulkner or Margaret Thatcher either. They've got a scumbag contingent, sure, but otherwise they're decent people with a right to sing their anthem if we're singing ours. Hate the government and fume over the history books, sure, but leave that at the door when going to watch a game of football.

Didn't realise that particular gentleman was English?? Thought he was from somewhere much, much closer to home..non???

Plastic Paddy
24/04/2005, 3:16 PM
Didn't realise that particular gentleman was English?? Thought he was from somewhere much, much closer to home..non???

True enough Andy, but despite being a Dub by birth Carson is/was still a man that many Irish find alien in belief and expression. He hammered those who would have wanted a thirty-two county dominion or even a republic as we all know to this day, and before that accounted for Oscar Wilde in the society scandal trial of the 1890s. Had he no soul at all? No wonder we think you lot from loyal Antrim and east Belfast are as dry as a bone... ;) :p :D

:D PP

sligoman
24/04/2005, 5:00 PM

Yes your right. You could be wrong :D

Donal81
25/04/2005, 12:26 AM

Edward Carson was born on Harcourt Street (that's not a quick google search, Irish history is a passion...). I've always found it amusing that the greatest unionist of them all was a Dub! I was just saying that the general beef in Ireland with England stems from those unfortunate centuries of colonialism. Today's manifestation of that is Northern Ireland. As Carson led the anti-Home Rule movement, he would be symbol of part of that. Bonar Law was Canadian, for example, but any Irish reader of history wouldn't be too fond of the part he played, I'm sure, see what I mean? None of this has anything in the slightest to do with a football game, that was my point.

Conor H
25/04/2005, 7:54 PM
Quite simple gstQ should never ever be played anywhere on our magnificent island.we always maintain great respect for other countries anthems but in that case there should be no anthem at all!

SUAS EIRE!!

Andyh
25/04/2005, 9:58 PM
Edward Carson was born on Harcourt Street (that's not a quick google search, Irish history is a passion...). I've always found it amusing that the greatest unionist of them all was a Dub! I was just saying that the general beef in Ireland with England stems from those unfortunate centuries of colonialism. Today's manifestation of that is Northern Ireland. As Carson led the anti-Home Rule movement, he would be symbol of part of that. Bonar Law was Canadian, for example, but any Irish reader of history wouldn't be too fond of the part he played, I'm sure, see what I mean? None of this has anything in the slightest to do with a football game, that was my point.

Well I was being ever so slightly sarcastic. Any hoo Carson saw partition as a failure (so he might have had something in common with his fellow Dubs after all), and lived out the last of his days in London, somewhat disillusioned; only to be brought back and given a state funeral in Belfast and buried in St Anne's - Lucky him. Perhaps even worse was 'English' hero and former Prime Minister, The Duke of Wellington, who hailed form Belvoir in Belfast, a fact he tried to play down often, and deny his Irishness. Just like people who come from there today...ooh...bit controversial......

Thunderblaster
25/04/2005, 11:04 PM
The Official National Anthem of England to be played in Croke Park in future internationals is Tubthumping by Chumbawamba. :D

boysingreen
26/04/2005, 3:00 PM
Surely the same logic that snubs Amhrann Na Bhfiainn when a team representing Ireland plays, should go to GSTQ.

anto1208
26/04/2005, 4:39 PM
whats the big deal gstq has allready been played and the union jack has been flown in croke park . any one remember the special olympics???

its silly to think people still think about this rubbish in this day and age ,