PDA

View Full Version : how did andy todd get away with that one?

ken foree
21/04/2005, 2:20 PM
? unreal!

ciaran76
21/04/2005, 2:47 PM
? unreal!

I think he didn't do it on purpose. I have watched it a few times and am not convinced he did it on purpose. ;)

Éanna
21/04/2005, 2:48 PM
accidental IMO

ciaran76
21/04/2005, 2:51 PM
accidental IMO

Thats the word i was looking for. :)

Dublin12
21/04/2005, 2:52 PM
Who's Andy Todd?

drinkfeckarse
21/04/2005, 2:59 PM
I thought it was deliberate myself. I've only seen it twice but the ball was in the net and Van Persie was turning away by the time he connected with him. His forearm was suspiciously high to me.

Dublin12
21/04/2005, 3:02 PM
Oh yeah..the blackburn player that done Van Persie with his elbow!,accidental me pollocks!!,look again and you can clearly see his elbow going up to eh..meet his face :eek:

Karlos
21/04/2005, 3:06 PM
? unreal!

Firstly he was wearing blue and white and not red and white, it's far easier to let them off when that's the case. The biggest shock is that they haven't charged Van Persie for Diving - accidental my a*se!!

and secondly Our Chairman David Dein must be on holiday and not around to use the influence that he always utilises to Arsenal's advantage with the FA this time around. :rolleyes:

The same influenece that got Wenger off calling Utd cheats as Mourniho got fined for similar comments aswell as the influence he used to get the FA to move the Ashley Cole inquest to 4 days before the FA Cup Final to obvoiusly suit us :rolleyes:

Expect a least one of our players to be banned in some FA loop hole before the cup final.

Nothing like having an inside man to get things your own way!

Éanna
21/04/2005, 3:11 PM
Firstly he was wearing blue and white and not red and white, it's far easier to let them off when that's the case. The biggest shock is that they haven't charged Van Persie for Diving - accidental my a*se!!

and secondly Our Chairman David Dein must be on holiday and not around to use the influence that he always utilises to Arsenal's advantage with the FA this time around. :rolleyes:

The same influenece that got Wenger off calling Utd cheats as Mourniho got fined for similar comments aswell as the influence he used to get the FA to move the Ashley Cole inquest to 4 days before the FA Cup Final to obvoiusly suit us :rolleyes:

Expect a least one of our players to be banned in some FA loop hole before the cup final.

Nothing like having an inside man to get things your own way!
who or what is that rant getting at? Do you support one of the teams involved or something?

Dublin12
21/04/2005, 3:16 PM
Karlos is a Arsenal man and imo it's a fair call :D

ciaran76
21/04/2005, 3:19 PM
Oh yeah..the blackburn player that done Van Persie with his elbow!,accidental me pollocks!!,look again and you can clearly see his elbow going up to eh..meet his face :eek:

Watched it a few times Todd was running so his elbows had to move ! :rolleyes:

If it was so simple a decision then everyone would agree. It is obvious that that it didn't look like he went to clobber him and it was more of a coming together that happens sometimes in football !

Karlos
21/04/2005, 3:25 PM
who or what is that rant getting at? Do you support one of the teams involved or something?

To put is simply is that the one thing this FA verdict isn't is Shocking

Can only imagine the uproar, fine and ban that would have followed had it been Ashley Cole for example doing this to a Blackburn goalscorer given his reputation. Lest we not forgot he's already been fined by the very same FA for picking a ball up from the net after Manchester City had scored a goal last January - obviously the height of unsporting behaviour compared to raising your arm and smashing someone in the face with it.

If there was consistancy, there would be no rants.

Éanna
21/04/2005, 3:27 PM
Can only imagine the uproar, fine and ban that would have followed had it been Ashley Cole for example doing this to a Blackburn goalscorer given his reputation.
doesn't matter two ****s who did it as far as I'm concerned, unless the player has a history of violence on the pitch. AFAIK neither Todd nor Cole do

Karlos
21/04/2005, 3:27 PM
Watched it a few times Todd was running so his elbows had to move ! :rolleyes:

If it was so simple a decision then everyone would agree. It is obvious that that it didn't look like he went to clobber him and it was more of a coming together that happens sometimes in football !

he was jogging when he made contact, not sprinting or jumping or travelling at a fast pace.

I've yet to see someone who jogs or sprints with their fore arm horizontal at shoulder level :rolleyes:

Karlos
21/04/2005, 3:34 PM
doesn't matter two ****s who did it as far as I'm concerned,

That's my point, it doesn't matter - the player should have been punished and the fact that he's got away scott free becuase he doesn't have a history of doing this sort of thing and the FA have given him the benefit of the doubt is in my opinion wrong and I have genuine reservations that benefits of doubts wouldn't have been given to others.

I'd expect someone to be punished for incidents like that everytime no matter who they play for.

ciaran76
21/04/2005, 3:39 PM
That's my point, it doesn't matter - the player should have been punished and the fact that he's got away scott free becuase he doesn't have a history of doing this sort of thing and the FA have given him the benefit of the doubt is in my opinion wrong and I have genuine reservations that benefits of doubts wouldn't have been given to others.

I'd expect someone to be punished for incidents like that everytime no matter who they play for.

So you just punish someone because your not sure if they did it on purpose ?

I understand your opinion but you have to understand alot of other peoples too. Alot of people also think it was an accident nothing more nothing less.

Tired&Emotional
21/04/2005, 3:40 PM
Todd got away with alright....knew van Persie would collide with him (van persie was turning away from the goal right in front of him just after vP. scored) and proceeded to lead with his forearm/elbow out and up and ....BANG!#! todd knew exactly what he was doin' !

ken foree
21/04/2005, 3:42 PM
todd got skinned by van persie for the other goal too so i think he had enough of the young dutchman, sickener to watch

Karlos
21/04/2005, 3:45 PM
So you just punish someone because your not sure if they did it on purpose ?

I understand your opinion but you have to understand alot of other peoples too. Alot of people also think it was an accident nothing more nothing less.

No, i do see the point. I myself thought it was accidental originally. But when you look at the simple human mechanics of it, there was no reason for his forearm to be so high, if he was just jogging. If RvP had bumped into his shoulder or clashed heads then I would have said accidental for sure. Having watched it numerous times, there is absolutly no reason for the players arm to be that high, he's not jumping for a ball where elbows are rasied for elevation or anything like it. At the very least I believe it's seriously dangerous play and he should have at got a warning at the very least. But he got nada and that sums up the attitude of the FA to me.

Tired&Emotional
21/04/2005, 3:52 PM
yeah he had had enough...physical midfielder, past his best :D , with a track record for this lark, just conceeded another goal from the younger more skillful vP. .....his reaction was not surprising for a thug.. :mad:

ciaran76
21/04/2005, 3:54 PM
Sorry can't agree with you at all on this as i have been in a similar postion myself of running into someone while playing a game and i did catch him with my elbow but i wasn't watching him i was watching the ball and the ref sent me off.

Even my manager said "what the hell were you thinking". I tried explaining myself but everyone just laughed at me. Only time in my life I got a red card. I never even had a yellow card !

But i do agree about what you said on the F.A. they are a pack of shams :mad:

ciaran76
21/04/2005, 3:55 PM
yeah he had had enough...physical midfielder, past his best :D , with a track record for this lark, just conceeded another goal from the younger more skillful vP. .....his reaction was not surprising for a thug.. :mad:

Now thats a stupid statement. The reason Todd "got off" with it was because he had no history of this kind of behaviour !!! :confused:

Tired&Emotional
21/04/2005, 4:10 PM
Now thats a stupid statement. The reason Todd "got off" with it was because he had no history of this kind of behaviour !!! :confused:

He has had his fair share of bookings for "dangerous" tackles over the years...and the only reason I thought he "got off" was because the FA couldn't prove he was guilty of violent conduct against vP not because of what has gone before !! :)

thecorner
21/04/2005, 4:17 PM
no harm to see van pierse on the end of an elbow...another knacker in football....has got away with his fair share of elbows this season

ciaran76
21/04/2005, 4:25 PM
no harm to see van pierse on the end of an elbow...another knacker in football....has got away with his fair share of elbows this season

Shearer is another who gets away with murder too ! ;)

Karlos
22/04/2005, 8:09 AM

That's probably the most idiotic statement I 've read in a long time. There's as list as long as me arm of people who have got away with stuff over the years in the game. Only the lowest form of football fan would like to see a player get injured and reckon it's ok. RvP will be the first to admit he's got a hot temper and has already served two supsensions for the FA - did the crime, served the time - Todd wouldn't know what that's like now would he?

I hate Ruud Van Nistelrooy as a man but would never like to see him get injured and ruin a career of a very talented footballer regardless of my dislike to him as a person.

I'm sure professional 'knackers' like Van Persie would love to see the 'knackers' claiming to support football on the receiving end. Cantona had it spot on ;)

Not worth arguing with you mate - couldn't even attempt to change an attitude like that.

razor
22/04/2005, 8:13 AM
I have no great liking for either team but the fact that Todd got off is a total disgrace. If you think he didn't mean it then you are deluded.
If you look closely at it, as contact was made with the side of Van Persies face his elbow rises suddenly to improve the level of contact and do as much damage as possible.
He did a very good job though of making it look accidental but thats as far as it goes. Hansen called it right last Saturday night, "He done him"
Todd is no angel and has a reputation and was toasted by Van Persie earlier.
They should have thrown the book at him.

thecorner
22/04/2005, 8:35 AM
That's probably the most idiotic statement I 've read in a long time. There's as list as long as me arm of people who have got away with stuff over the years in the game. Only the lowest form of football fan would like to see a player get injured and reckon it's ok. RvP will be the first to admit he's got a hot temper and has already served two supsensions for the FA - did the crime, served the time - Todd wouldn't know what that's like now would he?

I hate Ruud Van Nistelrooy as a man but would never like to see him get injured and ruin a career of a very talented footballer regardless of my dislike to him as a person.

I'm sure professional 'knackers' like Van Persie would love to see the 'knackers' claiming to support football on the receiving end. Cantona had it spot on ;)

Not worth arguing with you mate - couldn't even attempt to change an attitude like that.

i can remember 2 occasions this season(there is probably more) that van pierse got away with using his elbow.... what goes around comes around....pity he got back up

Éanna
23/04/2005, 2:24 PM
Have you met him?

Stevo Da Gull
25/04/2005, 12:15 PM
I would'nt call Van Persie a knacker, I'd compare his aggresive style to that of Alan Smith and yeah RvP has a short temper.

Rooney on the other hand is a knacker

Karlos
27/04/2005, 3:45 PM
Have you met him?

In short no, and while it's not an ideal human trait to have, many of us (especially me) form opinions on people. I for one, don not particulary like RvN but I do acknowledge the fantastic player he is and should he jump ship to Arsenal tomorrow I'd probably be as fickle as most and suddenly love him. Would i wish for him to break a leg or get seriously hurt because of my dislike? The answer to that is no and that was my point.

p.s. Interesting enough to see Lauren be investigated by the FA and subsequently not punished for his elbow on Edman. He should have been banned but you can't help but feel that because Todd had gotton away by saying it was accident, lauren went and did the same and was never going to be charged as a result. In my eyes they both should have been done. But the FA made their bed and now they must lie in it. Surely there should be a way to charge the FA for bringing the game into disrepute!!!! :)

ken foree
27/04/2005, 4:35 PM
i'm a utd fan and agree about some aspects of ruud's on-pitch behavior; i remember the unpunished 'accidental-on-purpose' elbow he introduced to the fulham player's face (legwinsky?) a year or so ago, right before he ran off from midfield and scored a terrific goal. if it's fairly clear to us, it should be more than clear to the powers that be but then that's politics (i'd imagine) for ye

Éanna
27/04/2005, 6:52 PM
In short no, and while it's not an ideal human trait to have, many of us (especially me) form opinions on people.
There are players I dislike, but I'd never say that I disliked them as a person without actually meeting them