PDA

View Full Version : Leon Best withdraws again

Plastic Paddy
21/04/2005, 12:45 PM
good Catholic that he is... :eek:

What's the story this time? Livehead?

:ball: PP

---

Best withdraws from Ireland squad (source: Soccercentral)

Sean McCaffrey.Pic: Sportsfile
Leon Best, Southampton striker, who has made two appearances for the first team in the Premiership this season, has withdrawn from the Republic of Ireland U-19 squad for the up-coming UEFA U19 Championships, 2nd qualifying phase in Serbia & Montenegro...

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Republic%20of%20Ireland&id=14883&viewstory=yes

eirebhoy
21/04/2005, 12:59 PM
He's playing in the FA youth cup final 2nd leg tomorrow night. He scored in the first leg. Don't see how that would stop him playing in this tournament though.

FarBeag
21/04/2005, 1:02 PM
Well...It appears fairly obvious by now where his heart really lies.This guy has more excuses than Roy Keane used to have at least.

Éanna
21/04/2005, 2:57 PM
Nice to see Shane Long get the call up- big things expected of this guy. He looks quality.

tetsujin1979
21/04/2005, 3:04 PM
Article on southampton's website - here (http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/article.asp?article=271215&Title=Wigs+brings+out+the+Best+in+me) - says he thinks he's back to his best, but nothing about why he's opted out of the U-19's

Stuttgart88
21/04/2005, 3:06 PM
FAI website article says he's been "forced" to withdraw but doesn't say why.

I'd love to get to the bottom of all this because as yet we've still no hard & fast evidence he ever did have a change of heart in the first place, it was all just rumour started by ambiguous remarks in a Southampton fanzine, or programme. The guy could use a good PR advisor!

RedX
21/04/2005, 5:44 PM
He pulled out due to a groin injury..the one he predicts he will pick up during the youth cup final..bit of a mystic meg here.. :eek:

dr_peepee
21/04/2005, 6:09 PM
There's a dude that posts on this site (can't think of his name) that reckons he knows him from their schoolday in Nottingham, and he has said that he's heard it from the man himself that he's an Irish international and the rest is just media hype.

Green Tribe
21/04/2005, 6:36 PM
He pulled out due to a groin injury..the one he predicts he will pick up during the youth cup final..bit of a mystic meg here.. :eek:

Did he get the groin injury during the withdrawal? :D ;) :D

....... I'll get my coat! :o

livehead1
21/04/2005, 9:10 PM
ye that wud be me. i went to school with him. he is irish through and through. i dunno why he's withdrawn, dont see him that much but there will be nothing sinister in it. he aint progressin as quick as i thort he wud at the mo

livehead1
21/04/2005, 9:11 PM
Well...It appears fairly obvious by now where his heart really lies.This guy has more excuses than Roy Keane used to have at least.

wat the hell are you on about. his heart probably lies with the club that pay his wages and the club that may provide him with a future in the professional game and you would think exactly the same if you were in his position. hes irish, end of story

RedX
21/04/2005, 9:19 PM
Did he get the groin injury during the withdrawal? :D ;) :D

....... I'll get my coat! :o

you know thats wrong..its next Sunday afternoon hes going to get that injury..or is it Sunday night?... :D

FarBeag
21/04/2005, 10:07 PM
Quote..livehead1..ye that wud be me. i went to school with him. he is irish through and through. i dunno why he's withdrawn, dont see him that much but there will be nothing sinister in it. he aint progressin as quick as i thort he wud at the mo

Good man..You appear to know a lot of the boys, ;) playing footie with Liam Lawrence and going to school with Leon Best.Do you know anyone else you could recommend?You must be handy enough yourself as i am sure you have picked up a few tricks. ;)

pete
21/04/2005, 10:14 PM
Nice to see Shane Long get the call up- big things expected of this guy. He looks quality.

Going to be hard for him to get a run in the city team with so many forwards ahead of him. He hit the cross bar when came on as sub in debut against Italy so should do well.

Whereas eL have had players in u-21 teams for years ist rare that have players in the u-19 squad.

eirebhoy
21/04/2005, 10:19 PM
Two of Celtic's most important players in the youth setup, Diarmuid O'Carroll and Darren O'Dea are still travelling to Spain with the Ireland squad even though the Celtic play in the Scottish youth cup final on Wednesday.

Sean McCaffrey:
"They really want to play for us and that shows great commitment."

livehead1
21/04/2005, 10:50 PM
Quote..livehead1..ye that wud be me. i went to school with him. he is irish through and through. i dunno why he's withdrawn, dont see him that much but there will be nothing sinister in it. he aint progressin as quick as i thort he wud at the mo

Good man..You appear to know a lot of the boys, ;) playing footie with Liam Lawrence and going to school with Leon Best.Do you know anyone else you could recommend?You must be handy enough yourself as i am sure you have picked up a few tricks. ;)
ye not everyone on here happens to be a fat slob (not a personal attack,merely something stated by the poster on previous occasssions) not only did i go to school with leon best but i also played with him on a saturday side called vernon colts. i also played with danny blair who is now at nottingham forest. this can be checked on the club website as it details the club as one of his youth teams. i played against liam lawrence a couple of years ago...your point being? would telling you that i played against chris waddle when he was at worksop help your point? how bout you just shut up!

livehead1
21/04/2005, 10:51 PM
Two of Celtic's most important players in the youth setup, Diarmuid O'Carroll and Darren O'Dea are still travelling to Spain with the Ireland squad even though the Celtic play in the Scottish youth cup final on Wednesday.

Sean McCaffrey:
"They really want to play for us and that shows great commitment."
ye fair play to them , but ya can never be sure wat the club situation is e.g. celtic letting them play, southampton saying best aint fit or want him 2 play for them etc. ya jst dont know

Donal81
22/04/2005, 12:37 AM

Give the guy a break FarBeag. Some clown on this forum accused me of lying once. It's not nice when someone who you only know through a website thinks he knows anything about you or yours.

lopez
22/04/2005, 8:37 AM
Give the guy a break FarBeag. Some clown on this forum accused me of lying once. It's not nice when someone who you only know through a website thinks he knows anything about you or yours.Apologies if that was me, Donal. :o

I agree. If I was going to make up stories about internationals I'd drop names like Liam Brady or Roy Keane or Pele. I was at school with a bloke who played for Watford in the 1984 FA Cup and another who was doing well at Crystal Palace until he decided that robbing post offices was more fun and ended up - so I heard from the window cleaner - having a prison 'marriage' :eek: with another schoolmate. I would have mentioned this before if either of them were Irish.

FarBeag
22/04/2005, 9:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeag
Good man..You appear to know a lot of the boys, playing footie with Liam Lawrence and going to school with Leon Best.Do you know anyone else you could recommend?You must be handy enough yourself as i am sure you have picked up a few tricks.

Give the guy a break FarBeag. Some clown on this forum accused me of lying once. It's not nice when someone who you only know through a website thinks he knows anything about you or yours.

I was only complementing the chap and he tells me to shut up.If I called him a deluded gobsh*te(which i would'nt of course) then he could call me what he liked.I say fair play to the chap.Hope he can get in touch with Leon sometime and put us all out of our misery. SORRY LIVEHEAD.I won't doubt you again. :o

Donal81
22/04/2005, 10:44 AM
What's Leon Best's connection with Ireland, by the way? He hasn't played much first-team stuff this season, has he?

eirebhoy
22/04/2005, 1:04 PM
What's Leon Best's connection with Ireland, by the way? He hasn't played much first-team stuff this season, has he?
His mother is Irish. She brought him to all his matches and would go with him everywhere to see him play football. He said she's a big influence on his life. AFAIK, his father is African so I don't see why he'd want to play for England. :)

livehead1
23/04/2005, 12:05 PM
yer his mums from dublin. i dont think his father has had much of an influence on his life if you get my meaning. i can remember wen we were bout 13 and going back from a football match leon said "im half english, half irish, and half jamaican!"....lol :rolleyes: ya always knew he was gona b a footballer

livehead1
23/04/2005, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeag
Good man..You appear to know a lot of the boys, playing footie with Liam Lawrence and going to school with Leon Best.Do you know anyone else you could recommend?You must be handy enough yourself as i am sure you have picked up a few tricks.

I was only complementing the chap and he tells me to shut up.If I called him a deluded gobsh*te(which i would'nt of course) then he could call me what he liked.I say fair play to the chap.Hope he can get in touch with Leon sometime and put us all out of our misery. SORRY LIVEHEAD.I won't doubt you again. :o

if you check a previous thread, which i cannot be bothered to reasearch. when leon best withdrew from the irish squad the last time about a week later a friend of mine met him at a party and i got him to ask him wat the story was and it was because he was told that he wasn't going to be playing and southampton had a game or sumut like that so it was decided that it would benefit him more to stay where he was

Stuttgart88
25/04/2005, 7:18 AM
I wasn't massively impressed by Best on Friday night. He's obviously got something but you kind of think he should be doing more. Anyone agree?

In the same game Shane Supple was absolute class. A nervous start was followed by a really assured display of handling, excellent judgment and reading of situations, and one brilliant double save (albeit from a poor finish). And I'm not sure this guy even gets into the Irish squad in his age group (U19?).

tetsujin1979
25/04/2005, 9:29 AM
I was thinking it might be better for the Ipswich lads if Ipswich don't get promoted this season, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them back in the premiership, and I've no ill will towards Joe Royle at all, but if they got promoted, there would be the inevitable signings to try and keep them in the Premiership, which would only be a further obstacle for these young lads to overcome. There will still be signings if Ipswich stay in the Championship, but not as many, and not as high profile, giving them all a better chance of establishing themselves in the first team.

Stuttgart88
25/04/2005, 9:41 AM
I was thinking it might be better for the Ipswich lads if Ipswich don't get promoted this season, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them back in the premiership, and I've no ill will towards Joe Royle at all, but if they got promoted, there would be the inevitable signings to try and keep them in the Premiership, which would only be a further obstacle for these young lads to overcome. There will still be signings if Ipswich stay in the Championship, but not as many, and not as high profile, giving them all a better chance of establishing themselves in the first team.

Agreed. And it also might be best for Leon Best if Southampton get relegated.

drummerboy
25/04/2005, 10:02 AM
Agree with the points about Ipswitch staying in the Championship. I watched both legs of the FA Youth Final. Young Lordon from Cork took his goals well. Wasn't overly impressed by Best although his goal was taken excelently in the first leg. The player who impressed me in the first leg was Owen Garvan. He ran the show for Ipswich. Young Supple looks a real prospect.