PDA

View Full Version : How much is Croke Park worth?

sligoman
20/04/2005, 11:32 AM
Just seen an interesting poll on elevenaside.com and was thinking we should have it here too. The question is: How much rent would Croke Park be worth for a one-off soccer international?

Possibillities are:
(a)Up to €200,000
(b)Up to €500,000
(c)Up to €1m
(d)More than €1m
(e)Shouldnt pay the GAA anything

So, can a mod please turn this into a poll, thanks!

OwlsFan
20/04/2005, 11:50 AM
Depends on the attendance - it will be negotiated, I suspect, with a basic fee and a proportion of the rest based upon the attendance.

Dawn_Run
20/04/2005, 11:56 AM
I dont think any profits should be made by either organisation. A special funds dispersal plan should be put together to divide all surplus cash (after expenses) to grass roots/youth schemes/training facilites in both organisations.

sligoman
20/04/2005, 12:00 PM
I dont think any profits should be made by either organisation. A special funds dispersal plan should be put together to divide all surplus cash (after expenses) to grass roots/youth schemes/training facilites in both organisations.

So your going with choice e then?

eirebhoy
20/04/2005, 12:00 PM
The break even figure for the GAA at Croker is 32,000. If the GAA were to get €1m a match and tickets were €60 each that would mean the break even figure for the FAI would be 16,500 + 32,000 = 48,500. I think Croker without the Hill is about 68,000 which leaves the FAI with 20,000 seats to make money from. If it waws €60 a ticket that would bring in €1.2m for them.

Condex
20/04/2005, 12:01 PM
I would expect the GAA to make a tidy profit, and you can't blame them if the
Millenium stadium in Caridff is charged out at 28% of gate receipts.

paul_oshea
20/04/2005, 12:28 PM
I dont think any profits should be made by either organisation. A special funds dispersal plan should be put together to divide all surplus cash (after expenses) to grass roots/youth schemes/training facilites in both organisations

why should they be put to both?? in fairness it should only go to gaa grassroots level, to promote gaelic football, after all it is "their" stadium.

stojkovic
20/04/2005, 12:38 PM
I dont think any profits should be made by either organisation. A special funds dispersal plan should be put together to divide all surplus cash (after expenses) to grass roots/youth schemes/training facilites in both organisations.I agree in part. As I posted somewhere else, GAA - 200,000, FAI - what they normally make, the balance of possibly 1m should go to the Govt. as they will be writing off the GAAs debts of 36m for Croker.

Baker
20/04/2005, 12:51 PM
It will depend on a few things like if the FAI gets to sell the corporate boxes for the Ireland games, if the FAI/IRFU contibute towards the cost of floodlights, whether the FAI/IRFU can sell advertising around the stadium etc.

I guess it will be either a fixed amount or a percentage of the gate, depending which is highest. This will be to cover the GAA for matches with low attendences while giving them more for games that have large attendences.

As for whoever gets the profit, after the predetermined rent to the GAA is paid the profit (or loss!) will, of course, go to the FAI/IRFU.

I heard a news report a few weeks back saying that the FAI pay the IRFU around 200k - 250k for each game at Landsdowne.

Dawn_Run
20/04/2005, 12:58 PM
why should they be put to both?? in fairness it should only go to gaa grassroots level, to promote gaelic football, after all it is "their" stadium.

a) if Croker wasnt opened it would generate zero money for much of the year
b) development of the youth/future of irish sport
c) improve inter-organisational relations

The opening of Croke park is a joint effort. Without the commitment of either party it wouldnt happen. Thats why!

dynamo kerry
20/04/2005, 2:31 PM
nah- the gaa are entitled to payment on the stadium andf the fai would be tennants. since when do tennants dictate terms.

if the price is right then the fai will pay up. any talk of dividing up the proceeds and no payment from fai to gaa is nonsense and a great display of an ability to ignore the facts