PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere

Bosco
19/04/2005, 10:22 PM
Im sick to death of posting threads about the atmosphere on the other forum and getting no response so i'll try here.There seems to be a bit of a crisis with our atmosphere at the moment.Matthews has asked section o to move into the stand.I think its been established that this isnt really going to happen.So any ideas on improving it.
1)Numbers in section o
To be honest there is feck all in section o in comparison to what other clubs have and I cant see that changing soon.Its never going to be at all impressive or taken seriously unless we get numbers in.Ideas?

2)Flags,Flares,smokebombs
Any plans for new flags?There is only one being used at the moment,surely theres others lying around somewhere.Whatever happened to the collection for funds going towards the above?

3)Organisation at away matches
I've allready posted this somewhere but the atmosphere at away matches is **** poor.Anyone interested in any sort of atmosphere should stand at the back of the away support.
Any other ideas?

Martinho II
19/04/2005, 10:59 PM
Im sick to death of posting threads about the atmosphere on the other forum and getting no response so i'll try here.There seems to be a bit of a crisis with our atmosphere at the moment.Matthews has asked section o to move into the stand.I think its been established that this isnt really going to happen.So any ideas on improving it.
1)Numbers in section o
To be honest there is feck all in section o in comparison to what other clubs have and I cant see that changing soon.Its never going to be at all impressive or taken seriously unless we get numbers in.Ideas?

Any plans for new flags?There is only one being used at the moment,surely theres others lying around somewhere.Whatever happened to the collection for funds going towards the above?

3)Organisation at away matches
I've allready posted this somewhere but the atmosphere at away matches is **** poor.Anyone interested in any sort of atmosphere should stand at the back of the away support.
Any other ideas?

1. well section o tried to go to the stand and that didnt work! how about the lads in the stand that want a bit of atmosphere come over to our end and join us -the more noise the better! we can be heard if we want to be!we are very short of a decent drum at the moment and anyone at the moment that is a decent drummer please come and join us!

2. adrian massop is currently ordering a new longford town flag with Section O says hello! the collection never really took off!we have a lot on our plate at the moment trying to get funds together for andy myler!

3. i personally would be prepared to go to the back of any stand for the away games! any one else care to join me? we have to bring our flags to the away games and need a few heads to tie the flags to seats!

Finny
19/04/2005, 11:15 PM
1. well section o tried to go to the stand and that didnt work! how about the lads in the stand that want a bit of atmosphere come over to our end and join us -the more noise the better! we can be heard if we want to be!we are very short of a decent drum at the moment and anyone at the moment that is a decent drummer please come and join us!

2. adrian massop is currently ordering a new longford town flag with Section O says hello! the collection never really took off!we have a lot on our plate at the moment trying to get funds together for andy myler!

3. i personally would be prepared to go to the back of any stand for the away games! any one else care to join me? we have to bring our flags to the away games and need a few heads to tie the flags to seats!

(1) yeah exactly the stand are giving out saying we look stupid and stuff but at least we are trying wat i think would be a good idea is if the club put a roof over section o that would attract more people but i dont see that happening for some reason.

(2) yeah collection on thursday oh yeah marty where can ya order a flag from and how much?

(3) ill join ya at the away games to sing always do :cool: and ill have that blow horn thing and a bodhran(adrians or yours dunno who owns it) im not to bad at it but not great :D

Martinho II
19/04/2005, 11:26 PM
well finny adrian massop is ordering the flag from a dutch website but you have to ask him yourself how much it will cost for it cos tbh i havent got a clue on it!

Finny
19/04/2005, 11:28 PM
ah rite man cheers ps i like ur new myler chant

franz
20/04/2005, 8:24 AM
The thing about section O is they look act and sound like a bunch of …..
They have no imagination in their selection of songs. They have no conviction in their songs. There are many of nights I have sit through one liner songs repeated over and over driving me nuts. No wonder they were kicked out of the stands I say go back. More instruments that’s what you need and less of the old country rip offs.

Ronnie
20/04/2005, 12:29 PM
I think a point your missing is the reluctance of other fans to join in. Even at away games if the crowd is not close together its a disaster. At least in section o they give it a try, sure the plenty of people on that side already and they don't join in, why would the stand be any different.

sorbothegreek
20/04/2005, 12:36 PM
The thing about section O is they look act and sound like a bunch of …..
They have no imagination in their selection of songs. They have no conviction in their songs. There are many of nights I have sit through one liner songs repeated over and over driving me nuts. No wonder they were kicked out of the stands I say go back. More instruments that’s what you need and less of the old country rip offs.
Childish baiting. Please dont rise to it.

Grasshopper 99
20/04/2005, 1:46 PM
Numbers is all you need to improve the atmosphere, flags make it look a lot better, flares and smokbombs are banned in most grounds. But the more people there the louder it will be. A roof over your area would amplify the sound, but that probably wont happen soon.

Macy
20/04/2005, 2:21 PM
Long time since I've been accused of underage drinking. :D

Very few of the section O lads are underage anyway (if only we were). And I can only think of one, not even regular section O head who is underage that was hammered at the cup final. There were plenty of youngsters outside the 51 singing section O songs who I'd never seen before.

No one in section O is insisting on segregation - any of the singers from the stand are welcome to join us over in Section O anytime they like. Section O has given the stand a go, it didn't work, so maybe it's now time for the stand singers to move the other way to enhance the atmosphere? Or, as ever, does this inititative only work one way?

If not, can we please drop this pathetic squabbling and let things lie and let both areas concentrate on what they want to do without this blame game attached.

ConfusedBlue
20/04/2005, 3:44 PM
It would be handy if you were allowed to use them!!!
The TIFO flags are allowed in every other ground in Ireland and really add to the occasion,last time we were in Flancare we had a flare but that feckin steward was onto us like a whippet(what a waste of €10)!!!
The flags issue I just don't understand,I see where they are coming from with the flares but surely they could allow them in some circumstances with strict guidelines put in place regarding their use!!!!!!

Finny
20/04/2005, 5:26 PM

Very few of the section O lads are underage anyway (if only we were). And I can only think of one, not even regular section O head who is underage that was hammered at the cup final. There were plenty of youngsters outside the 51 singing section O songs who I'd never seen before.

No one in section O is insisting on segregation - any of the singers from the stand are welcome to join us over in Section O anytime they like. Section O has given the stand a go, it didn't work, so maybe it's now time for the stand singers to move the other way to enhance the atmosphere? Or, as ever, does this inititative only work one way?

If not, can we please drop this pathetic squabbling and let things lie and let both areas concentrate on what they want to do without this blame game attached.

yeah but twas a joyest occasion at the final i was mental underage at the time not anymore though feel old. and macy we all know your only 14 :D

And i agree with you if every1 in the stands wants section o so much then they should join us would be a better atmosphere altogether.

But i still dont get one this conversation keeps coming up every season :mad:

Bosco
20/04/2005, 6:52 PM
What has under-age drinking at the cup final got to do with section o?Thats the problem,people presume things?I asked a friend of mine recently,who wouldnt be the most knowledgable in terms of football but tries his best to get to town games,would he fancy coming over to section o.He says "Sure isnt that where they all go drinking".Its rare enough that you will see anyone drinking in section o unless you are really looking hard.Maybe at big games,there are a few but they are all of legal age,can hold their drink and keep it to themselves.I have never seen anyone noticably drunk in section o.
Cop on,no one has been kicked out of the stand for drinking,everyone in section o is their by choice and I dont see the point in mentioning the fact that there are people who attend section o that were involved in under-age drinking at the cup final.Are you saying that if you went to the stand tommorrow night you would not see other individuals who were also involved in under-age drinking that day.Christ most of the drunken teenagers from that day dont even go to town matches.Atleast the few you see around flancare have an actual interest and pay their money in every week.
I find it very ironic that you say that section o would ask for segregation at away games?Surely you meant the other way around.Were you among the stand goers that: in derry instead of staying in our segregated area and supporting our team together,decided to sit in the derry section,so they could get a better view :confused:.Or in drogheda 2 seasons ago when instead of standing in the away stand,people once again opted for comfort to sit in droghedas "luxurious" stand.If section o were actually to come over to the stand,would you have standed and chanted with them or were you just going to sit in your normal seat and stare like last time.I dont know what you mean by why are we refusing to go to the stand,surely the same can be said for you refusing to go to section o.Why do presume the stand is the place to be.Section o were there well before the stand even existed(were obviously not called section o).I've allready posted on the other forum that it would be great if the stand started their own group of singers situated standing in section A.There are more people in the stand then the far side of the ground,so surely it would be possible to round up 10-15 people to stand at the back of section A and sing and let it get bigger over time or do you not want to be looked at funny,the same way section O were looked at when they crossed over.I really think it would be great if this could happen.Or ye could join us.Section o allready did the stand a favour by coming over,so why dont ye repay us.Section o is an intimidating place for people to come over for some reason.The small numbers means its the same people every week,so people are afraid incase thay'll be noticed.Dont be.Section o are craving for bigger numbers so everyone is welcome.Its been allready said that numbers is all thats needed,so are any of ye actually interested in improving the atmosphere or are ye just happy to let others(section o) do it.Come on over and bring flags drums and anything else you have.Its not like your needed in the stand,there'll always be some mucker who will shout "LANGFART" once to get them all going after a goal is scored.Section o could be great if we got good numbers in.

www.tifo.it is a good place for getting flags flares etc by the way

Finny
20/04/2005, 7:22 PM
I love every word in that rant its 100% true. people do be ashamed though they think people will point the winger and laugh if they come to section o i say if people do stick one back just not in as nice a fashion.

Sonic
20/04/2005, 8:40 PM

the stand is a way better option for you section o lads. lets face it you cant be heard.whoever is complaining about you guys singing in the stand let them f*ck off.that is there problem.the stand will as the bray fan said enable you to be heard.rovers game two weeks ago aside the away games are normally good for singing cause we are together.i understand some people in the stand are grumpy fools who dont have a clue but if they dont like they can go over to the other side.tbh the section o lads are stubborn and are not gonna give in and the people in the stand even more stubbiorn so we are at a dead loss.you guys better decide something,anything cause lets face it there is more noise at 7:30 mass saturday nite than there is when we are flansiro

Martinho II
20/04/2005, 9:23 PM
What has under-age drinking at the cup final got to do with section o?Thats the problem,people presume things?I asked a friend of mine recently,who wouldnt be the most knowledgable in terms of football but tries his best to get to town games,would he fancy coming over to section o.He says "Sure isnt that where they all go drinking".Its rare enough that you will see anyone drinking in section o unless you are really looking hard.Maybe at big games,there are a few but they are all of legal age,can hold their drink and keep it to themselves.I have never seen anyone noticably drunk in section o.
Cop on,no one has been kicked out of the stand for drinking,everyone in section o is their by choice and I dont see the point in mentioning the fact that there are people who attend section o that were involved in under-age drinking at the cup final.Are you saying that if you went to the stand tommorrow night you would not see other individuals who were also involved in under-age drinking that day.Christ most of the drunken teenagers from that day dont even go to town matches.Atleast the few you see around flancare have an actual interest and pay their money in every week.
I find it very ironic that you say that section o would ask for segregation at away games?Surely you meant the other way around.Were you among the stand goers that: in derry instead of staying in our segregated area and supporting our team together,decided to sit in the derry section,so they could get a better view :confused:.Or in drogheda 2 seasons ago when instead of standing in the away stand,people once again opted for comfort to sit in droghedas "luxurious" stand.If section o were actually to come over to the stand,would you have standed and chanted with them or were you just going to sit in your normal seat and stare like last time.I dont know what you mean by why are we refusing to go to the stand,surely the same can be said for you refusing to go to section o.Why do presume the stand is the place to be.Section o were there well before the stand even existed(were obviously not called section o).I've allready posted on the other forum that it would be great if the stand started their own group of singers situated standing in section A.There are more people in the stand then the far side of the ground,so surely it would be possible to round up 10-15 people to stand at the back of section A and sing and let it get bigger over time or do you not want to be looked at funny,the same way section O were looked at when they crossed over.I really think it would be great if this could happen.Or ye could join us.Section o allready did the stand a favour by coming over,so why dont ye repay us.Section o is an intimidating place for people to come over for some reason.The small numbers means its the same people every week,so people are afraid incase thay'll be noticed.Dont be.Section o are craving for bigger numbers so everyone is welcome.Its been allready said that numbers is all thats needed,so are any of ye actually interested in improving the atmosphere or are ye just happy to let others(section o) do it.Come on over and bring flags drums and anything else you have.Its not like your needed in the stand,there'll always be some mucker who will shout "LANGFART" once to get them all going after a goal is scored.Section o could be great if we got good numbers in.

www.tifo.it is a good place for getting flags flares etc by the way

some excellent points made bosco!

Dillo
20/04/2005, 9:41 PM
You Section O lads should be over in the stand where ye can be heard.... and quick at that. The majority of the main stand is occupied by a flock of dry, uneducated, parochial nobodies who know as much about soccer as they do about chanting. Our first season in the premier division saw a great atmosphere in Flancare but it's been on a constant downward spiral since that. With the exception of the cup finals where the bandwagon/sunshine supporters came out in force, the support has been very poor and that continues to be the case. It's a crying shame given the swift and dramatic change in this small club's fortunes. We should all be extremely proud of Longford Town FC- the only thing worthwhile the county has to offer.

Finny
20/04/2005, 10:50 PM
You Section O lads should be over in the stand where ye can be heard.... and quick at that. The majority of the main stand is occupied by a flock of dry, uneducated, parochial nobodies who know as much about soccer as they do about chanting. Our first season in the premier division saw a great atmosphere in Flancare but it's been on a constant downward spiral since that. With the exception of the cup finals where the bandwagon/sunshine supporters came out in force, the support has been very poor and that continues to be the case. It's a crying shame given the swift and dramatic change in this small club's fortunes. We should all be extremely proud of Longford Town FC- the only thing worthwhile the county has to offer.

Hey what about leuigis. i dont see us going to the stand so why dont ye come over to section o I formally send ye all an invitation to join us at section o for tomorrow & monday nyts games vs shelbourne & glentoren(we need to be very vocal in both games to inspire the team especially monday)c'mon da town :ball: :cool:

silentbob
21/04/2005, 9:50 AM
Dont know much bout section o but it would make alot more sense if yee were in the main stand and not at a different section of the ground where yee are basically isolated. As for people who look at you like you have two heads or tell you to shut up, **** them, you are there to enjoy yourselves, enjoy the game and try and give your team a bit of vocal support, same as every soccer supporter in the world who goes to watch their side play. I guarantee you that if you went and sat in the main stand it would only be a matter of weeks before all the other supporters who are too embarassed to sing or afraid that for some reason they will make a fool of themselves will be joining in.

P.S who came up with the chant
"na na na na na na na na na,
vinny vinny perth vinny perth,
vinny vinny perth."

without a doubt the most catchy song ive ever here at a football match. I even sang it to non longford people who know sweet fa about the eircom league and it has become there chant on a drunken night out!! Pity you wont be singing it any more!!

Macy
21/04/2005, 9:54 AM
P.S who came up with the chant
"na na na na na na na na na,
vinny vinny perth vinny perth,
vinny vinny perth."

without a doubt the most catchy song ive ever here at a football match. I even sang it to non longford people who know sweet fa about the eircom league and it has become there chant on a drunken night out!! Pity you wont be singing it any more!!
Erm, I can lay claim to introducing that to Longford, but it's an old Nicky Butt one (from when he used to be good, and at United).

Xlex
21/04/2005, 10:28 AM
there's many a good tune, seam to have lost a few lately... But every last one is better than de longford drum drum drum....

The Old Stewie Byrne tune is quality...

Xlex
21/04/2005, 12:12 PM
Who is anybody on this forum to tell me or any of my mates where to go and watch a match. This is getting so childish. Anyone want to offer an opinion on the football....

Wiseguy
21/04/2005, 1:44 PM
I can't understand the people who have a problem with the Longford , dum,dum,dum.They complain that the Stand don't sing and then they complain about what the stand do sing when they sing. :confused: :confused:
It's the only form of support that can be heard around the ground so unless you have something better i suggest you shut up.

Xlex
21/04/2005, 1:46 PM
Going off topic but sure hey....

well, I can't agree with the we should beat Shelbourne. But we certainly can. I'ld be happy if we don't

a) conceed soft goals.
b) play on the deck ball.
c) Score two peaches....

Xlex
21/04/2005, 1:53 PM
I can't understand the people who have a problem with the Longford , dum,dum,dum.

It's tedious... boring if you like... Of course there's many better ones... just give them a go....

When we all were packed together in Drogheda and Section O gave it a shot... a drummer drowned it out immediately with the longford drum drum drum chant and that was the end of that.... It buries any stand/Section O arguement....

Wiseguy
21/04/2005, 3:40 PM
That famous tune coming from the stand is a form of support.The only one which can be heard.The only people who hear anything coming from section o is the linesman and whoever has to take a throw in over there.I'm not actually sure what section o is suppose to represent.Are you all hardcore fans?Is there some conspiracy going on with all 10 of you?Are you banned from all other parts of the ground?Do you hate everyone in the stand?Do you enjoy being ate by the midges?What is so special about that side of the ground?Mind you the way it's going it will be section 0 not section o before to long.

Bosco
21/04/2005, 5:16 PM
Then you have to ask yourself why does this perception exist??
Havling said that, you are clearly acknowledging that there is a reputation for drinking in section O. I mean what do you mean by "Its rare enough that you will see anyone drinking in section O unless you are really looking hard" ?? Do you mean that you are all drinking on the sly & if anyone looks close enough they'll spot it ?????
Again, "Maybe at big games there are a few" . Come on . Out with it. Either you are or you aren't, but that's definitely an admission of something.
"I have never seen anyone noticeably drunk in section O". Well, then you must have been just as drunk as them !

Exactly I wonder how this reputation has occured with posts like your last one."Do you mean that you are all drinking on the sly & if anyone looks close enough they'll spot you?" Sounds like an accusation to me,so you think that we are all drinking,maybe thats where this reputation is coming from.By "looking hard" i mean that there is so few drinking and unless you were aware of this "reputation" and was looking out to see if you could catch the 1 or 2 people taking a few sips you would never notice.
"Well,then you must have been as drunk as them!" I'm holding myself back to use stronger words here cop on but I do not want to lower myself to such childish name calling.I was a regular stand goer up to the vaduz game last year when i sat for 90 mins in silence watching our local team competing in the UEFA CUP while other locals spent 90 mins making a joke about how bad our local team were and that we should be ashamed of them(that came straight from the mouth of one of our more regular supporters).I've been going to section o since and have NEVER consumed alcohol inside the flansiro.In all the games i've went to i have seen alcohol being consumed twice by the same person.My younger cousin also goes to section o and if you were to ask him about section o's drinking reputation,he would look at you like you have 3 heads and wonder what you are talking about.I still dont see why you insist on bringing drink into this.
As for using the word Mucker,calm down will ya.I used the word once in a long post and you've written a paragraph about it.It was not meant to be insulting in anyway but was meant to represent that when "The Langfart" breaks out in the stand it does not need singers to keep it up but anyone willing to shout one word every 3 seconds.Why is it that you took such offence to the word mucker in my post but not to Dillos post were he said "The majority of the main stand is occupied by a flock of dry,uneducated,parochial nobodies who know as much about soccer as they do about chanting"-this didnt offend you but me saying the word mucker did.To be honest I think you were just looking to take away from the fact that you havnt answered any of my other questions
1)Why dont the stand start there own singing group at the back of section a?
2)If section o were to go to the stand would you have joined them
3)Are you one of those supporters(derry,drogheda) who are more worried about their view of the match then sticking with your own and supporting your team
4)Would you be interested in joining section o?
5)Have you ever tried section o,cos section o have tried the stand and it didnt work
6)Is there any reason,you prefer to go to the stand instead of section o

"Do you want a drummer or don't you?" Of course if you are lending your services come on over.

At the end of the day,you invited us to the stand and we declined and you got in a huff about it.Yet,you still havnt answered our invitation to you to section o.
These days football games are about much more then a sport being played on a field.There is a bigger emphasise on the fans to sing,bring colour to games.Look at what other clubs have such as Commandos 84 in cork,The rovers ultras,The Briogaid Dearg of shels.This is why the stand are critiscised for the longford dum dum dum.Once again I ask any people in the stand interested in creating an atmosphere to come over?Alan Matthews obviously feels we should get something going.

In my previous post I was in noway insulting to the stand or its occupants but you seem to have takien offence and have started slating section o.Why?Are you trying to create bad blood because theres no need for it.You seem to have labeled me as a section o fanatic,which i am not.I go to section o as it is the place with the most atmosphere.I know it is nothing much but in the future I would hope that it could turn into something like cork have in their shed(maybe on a smaller scale) but i know that with peoples reluctantness to join us,this may not happen for a good while.I am not against section o going to the stand.If section o were all up for going to the stand i would be delighted but i know this is not going to happen.Their is alot of stubborness on both sides of the ground.Maybe a collaboration between the two groups at the back of the goal would be a good idea?Half way agreement?I will go wherever there is the better atmosphere.
So take it easy cop on and no hard feelings.
On tonight,i think both sides of the ground have a point to prove so lets give it our all.
In footballing terms,both teams played very good attractive football in their last game but i would be worried that if shels give us no time on the ball we may resort to hoofing

Sonic
21/04/2005, 9:43 PM
Who is anybody on this forum to tell me or any of my mates where to go and watch a match. This is getting so childish. Anyone want to offer an opinion on the football....

yes xlex its shi*E S.H.I.T.E

With useless lazy bas*ards like myler baker on the team you can forget it.the shelbourne game was so predictable where is techs when you need him.......... :mad:

franz
22/04/2005, 3:05 PM
Personally, we think Deano should develop a quiff, and Dessie should stick to his natural look. When he puts dye in his hair, he looks nearly as ridiculous as Brian O Driscoll on a bad day

your a fine one to talk about hair :confused: :confused: :confused:

Xlex
22/04/2005, 5:06 PM
Thank you kindly for your invitation to join section O, but I've got my own "Popular trodden down and broken men of Longford Section" going on on the far side of the ground. I would welcome you to join us, but old beyond our years and past it, I don't think you'd get much singing and roaring out of us as we engage in a detailed analysis of the players' hair dos. Personally, we think Deano should develop a quiff, and Dessie should stick to his natural look.

:D

Brilliant.

On a serious note, at times a few of us share a tipple in Section O. It's alot more mature then in previous seasons... We've mellowed a bit.

As far as I'm aware underage drinking isn't a problem in Section O. That said we are not a baby sitting service, although at times it looks like it. Section O is the most remote area of the ground and if someone going to have a drink that's where they will go. If it happens and there's little we can do about it.

Bosco
22/04/2005, 5:34 PM
OK - I am not the only one who has alluded to this reputation for buckfast drinking. Fans from other clubs are also under the same impression. I am neither condoning nor condeming this behaviour - I just suggested that people may be reluctant to join you IF there is this perception that underage drinking is going on in Section O. (For god sake, we all did it!)

Well if the conversation ever comes up in future,i'm sure you have enough info to correct them and put them on the right path ;) ;) :D

Sonic
22/04/2005, 8:16 PM
Going off topic but sure hey....

well, I can't agree with the we should beat Shelbourne. But we certainly can. I'ld be happy if we don't

a) conceed soft goals.
b) play on the deck ball.
c) Score two peaches....

none of your wishes came true.we did concede soft goals we didnt play the "deck ball" as you call it and Shelbounre scored two peaches :mad: