PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Georgia - Tuesday, 26th March 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pineapple stu
24/03/2019, 9:09 AM
Don't really know what changes you can make from the Gibraltar line-up - the improvement needs to be more basic than a change of personnel.

Touch wood the lack of a swirling wind and plastic pitch will help, along with Georgia's generally poor travelling record (they're a much sterner test at home)

But they've always given us problems, and this is a definite banana skin. That they're in the same Nations League as us next time (League C) should confirm that they're definitely no pushovers.

I'll go for a 2-0 win, but that's being rather hopeful

Diggs246
24/03/2019, 10:04 AM
I would play judge in the hole and mcgoldrick as the striker. I would also swap Keogh for Egan and drop hourihane for arter

geysir
24/03/2019, 11:53 AM
Call up McGeady!! Georgia brought out the best in him on two occasions.

IsMiseSean
24/03/2019, 12:09 PM
We'll need another body in CM against Georgia - otherwise they'll run rings around us.

Randolph
Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, Stevens.
Arter, Hourihane, Hendrick.
Doherty, McGoldrick, Brady.

Maybe even O'Brien in for Brady on the left hand side. I think he's played there for Millwall. McClean was terrible yesterday.

liamoo11
24/03/2019, 12:29 PM
We'll need another body in CM against Georgia - otherwise they'll run rings around us.

Randolph
Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, Stevens.
Arter, Hourihane, Hendrick.
Doherty, McGoldrick, Brady.

Maybe even O'Brien in for Brady on the left hand side. I think he's played there for Millwall. McClean was terrible yesterday.

Yes definitely another in midfield. Mcgoldrick was so lazy can't see him upfront by himself. Long is a massive loss. Why wood u hibe doherty another chance this time as part of a front three when he was atrocious yesterday? Christie got such abuse when he played midfield cant see why doherty is been spared this. I would pick

Randolph
Coleman Duffy egan doherty
Arter Hendrick
Brady Byrne judge
Collins

IsMiseSean
24/03/2019, 1:28 PM
Why wood u hibe doherty another chance this time as part of a front three when he was atrocious yesterday? Christie got such abuse when he played midfield cant see why doherty is been spared this.

I wouldn't give up on the Doherty experiment after one game. If it doesn't work on Tuesday then that will probably be the end of it.

geysir
24/03/2019, 1:32 PM
The game is too important to risk another chance that it might work. There is one certainty, Mick will not play Doherty at midfield.

gally
24/03/2019, 1:35 PM
Needs to play 4.3.3, Kenny wants 3 CMs, going to need it against Georgia, get rid of that clown McClean, my team below.

Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Doherty
Hendrick Arter Hourihane
Judge McGoldrick Byrne

Shame we dont have Curtis, O'Dowda, Robinson or Long available as any of those 3 would repalce my forward line.

liamoo11
24/03/2019, 1:38 PM
I wouldn't give up on the Doherty experiment after one game. If it doesn't work on Tuesday then that will probably be the end of it.

That's fair enough. I just cant see what people imagine doherty could possibly do as the wide man on the right in a front three. In that position he is going to have to take the ball with his back to goal most of the time or take it with a defender and midfielder in close proximity. Where has he ever shown any ability to have the footwork and technical ability to create chances in that situation ?

Diggs246
24/03/2019, 2:29 PM
------- Randy
M. Doh. Duffy Egan Stevens
Coleman Arter Jeff Brady
---------------- judge
-----------------mcgoldrick

I would seriously consider playing Cullen for Jeff. But it's way too risky

backstothewall
24/03/2019, 2:38 PM
It's depressing trying to work out a team for tomorrow. I feel for Mick McC and his team trying to work this out. The squad is both low in quality and badly balanced but it's not like there were other players who could have been picked who would have improved things.

Olé Olé
24/03/2019, 2:43 PM
It's a pity Hendrick scored the goal as I thought he was poor. Hourihane deserved moreso to hold his place. And I'd have Arter starting for sure.

I don't know if he'll drop Doherty or play him left back.

My team would be Randolph;Coleman, Egan, Duffy, Doherty; Brady, Arter, Hourihane, McClean; Maguire and McGoldrick.

But I think the team will have Hendrick, Keogh and Stevens in there for Hourihane or Arter, Egan and Doherty.

I would persist with two up front. I think conditions did an awful disfavour to the pair of them. And we don't have any better option that is fit.

shakermaker1982
24/03/2019, 4:16 PM
I want to see Judge get a shot.

You can only pick Coleman or Doherty if you go 4-4-2.

I don’t want to see McClean any time soon....

The gaffa will stick with McGoldrick,

backstothewall
24/03/2019, 4:23 PM
It's a pity Hendrick scored the goal as I thought he was poor. Hourihane deserved moreso to hold his place. And I'd have Arter starting for sure.

I don't know if he'll drop Doherty or play him left back.

My team would be Randolph;Coleman, Egan, Duffy, Doherty; Brady, Arter, Hourihane, McClean; Maguire and McGoldrick.

But I think the team will have Hendrick, Keogh and Stevens in there for Hourihane or Arter, Egan and Doherty.

I would persist with two up front. I think conditions did an awful disfavour to the pair of them. And we don't have any better option that is fit.

I agree with some of this.

I certainly think we need 2 up front. Quite frankly i don't feel confident we have a forward who is good enough to play up front on his own. Seanie Maguire was awful though, so I think i'd give Hogan a chance in his place.

But I also think we need an extra man in midfield. Hendrick got the goal yesterday which should give him a boost in confidence which he badly needs. Dropping him would set that back. Hourihane played well(ish) and offers so much more of a threat with set pieces than Brady. So I've come to the conclusion that we should go back to the 90s with a 5-3-2 which should at least give the Georgians something to deal with they won't be used to.

McLean drops out but that is well deserved after an atrocious performance yesterday.

------------ Randolph ------------
---- Coleman Duffy Keogh ------
Doherty ------------------- Brady
--------------- Arter -------------
------- Hendrick Hourihane -----
-----------------------------------
------- McGoldrick Hogan -------

Olé Olé
24/03/2019, 4:43 PM
Hogan has been poor for Sheff United of late, by all accounts. Whipped off at half time recently.

irishfan86
24/03/2019, 4:53 PM
My team:

———————Randolph—————-
Coleman——Duffy—-Keogh—-Stevens
—————-Whelan—-Arter—————
Cullen——Hendrick——Hogan—-
——————McGoldrick———-

I was a big advocate of trying Doherty on the wing but it clearly didn’t work against Gibraltar— I think it would work better against a non-sitting team but probably not an experiment worth persisting with.

My thoughts with goalkeeper/back line — keep them for continuity's sake.

Defensive mids: Whelan for the brains, Arter for the legs.

Attackers: Cullen is good at holding possession in tight spaces in advanced positions, let Hendrick ride the momentum of his goal and give Hogan a shot in a wide position.

I wasn’t overly impressed with McGoldrick’s overall game vs. Gibraltar but he was obviously the key man in creating Hendrick’s goal so I’d stick with him for Georgia.

backstothewall
24/03/2019, 6:26 PM
Hogan has been poor for Sheff United of late, by all accounts. Whipped off at half time recently.

I can't argue with any of that. But the reality is that no matter who we pick we are going to be relying on someone confounding reasonable expectations.

Seanie Maguire failed to justify retaining his place in the team against a team of part-timers yesterday. For me it is a straightforward choice between Hogan and Collins.

Hogan has shown up for squad after squad and had very little playing time. I've picked him on the basis that Maguire played his way out of the team and he is due a start.

Colbert Report
24/03/2019, 6:30 PM
Arter, Whelan, and Hendrick should be in the middle. Robbie Brady not starting would be a travesty if he is indeed fit enough to play. I think he's our best player by far.

IsMiseSean
24/03/2019, 6:42 PM
Seanie Maguire failed to justify retaining his place in the team against a team of part-timers yesterday. For me it is a straightforward choice between Hogan and Collins.

Hogan has shown up for squad after squad and had very little playing time. I've picked him on the basis that Maguire played his way out of the team and he is due a start.

Are you sure Hogan is in the squad?

backstothewall
24/03/2019, 6:49 PM
Who knows. There have been that many changes with this squad it's hard to keep track. The FAI website says he is but it's also got Jon Walters in there tbf.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/senior-men/squad?title=&field_seasons_tid%5B%5D=4097

If he isn't there I guess Collins should get the chance.

liamoo11
24/03/2019, 6:59 PM
Who knows. There have been that many changes with this squad it's hard to keep track. The FAI website says he is but it's also got Jon Walters in there tbf.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/senior-men/squad?title=&field_seasons_tid%5B%5D=4097

If he isn't there I guess Collins should get the chance.

I'm pretty sure Hogan didn't make the cut and o Brien was the one called up

nigel-harps1954
24/03/2019, 7:18 PM
I'd love to see a more adventurous 4-3-3 played with Brady and Byrne utilised as two wingers flanking Maguire up front.

Doherty needs to be at right back. Coleman hasn't been the same player since returning from injury.

For me:

Randolph

Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens

Hourihane Arter Hendrick

Byrne Maguire Brady

Olé Olé
24/03/2019, 8:32 PM
Where did Byrne ever play on the wing?

nigel-harps1954
24/03/2019, 8:42 PM
Against Georgia on Tuesday night :cool:

He's comfortable on the ball, adept at taking a man on and either having a crack at goal or playing a team-mate through. I think he'd thrive in a position like that.

Sullivinho
24/03/2019, 8:50 PM
Fitness permitting, I don't expect any changes. Maybe a Whelan wildcard for 'stability'. Mick had months to consider the team against Gibraltar and that's what we got. If available, I think he'd have gone with O'Dowda over McClean, Browne in place of Hourihane and maybe Long instead of Maguire, but some of the remaining selections (Keogh, McGoldrick) were telling. Only a couple of howlers, injury or retirement can remove Randolph as our undisputed #1 now, and rightfully so. Duffy is also nailed on.

The Coleman + Doherty experiment deserves another run. Judge is as close as we have to Hoolahan. And we are in desperate need of the Hoolahan, foot-on-the-ball, lock-picking, midfield respite factor. I'm unsure about Maguire. (Ditto on Hendrick, Brady in current form and Arter in general. But the pantry is skint.) Let McClean get wound up on the bench and unleash him for the final 15. His contribution spreads thin over 90. Resurrecting Whelan just sticks in the throat. The effect would be incomplete without Andrews next to him anyway. I reckon the temptation to play two outright forwards would last about the ten minutes it takes the Georgians to begin dominating midfield.

My wannabe football manager effort. (I'd like to see Brady and Hourihane dispute set pieces, up to and including pushing each other off the ball.)

https://i.imgur.com/Y5ALi1W.png

Diggs246
24/03/2019, 9:00 PM
Fitness permitting, I don't expect any changes. Maybe a Whelan wildcard for 'stability'. Mick had months to consider the team against Gibraltar and that's what we got. If available, I think he'd have gone with O'Dowda over McClean, Browne in place of Hourihane and maybe Long instead of Maguire, but some of the remaining selections (Keogh, McGoldrick) were telling. Only a couple of howlers, injury or retirement can remove Randolph as our undisputed #1 now, and rightfully so. Duffy is also nailed on.

The Coleman + Doherty experiment deserves another run. Judge is as close as we have to Hoolahan. And we are in desperate need of the Hoolahan, foot-on-the-ball, lock-picking, midfield respite factor. I'm unsure about Maguire. (Ditto on Hendrick, Brady in current form and Arter in general. But the pantry is skint.) Let McClean get wound up on the bench and unleash him for the final 15. His contribution spreads thin over 90. Resurrecting Whelan just sticks in the throat. The effect would be incomplete without Andrews next to him anyway. I reckon the temptation to play two outright forwards would last about the ten minutes it takes the Georgians to begin dominating midfield.

My wannabe football manager effort. (I'd like to see Brady and Hourihane dispute set pieces, up to and including pushing each other off the ball.)

https://i.imgur.com/Y5ALi1W.png

That's my team bar Jeff for hourihane. I don't really get the hourihane love in tbh

Sullivinho
24/03/2019, 9:04 PM
That's my team bar Jeff for hourihane. I don't really get the hourihane love in tbh

There's only the flick of a coin between them for me. Hendrick made a contribution on saturday so I fully expect him to take tuesday off, whether selected or not.

tommy_c12000
24/03/2019, 9:51 PM
I was surprised at the widespread outpouring of disgust and pessimism after the 1-0 win on Saturday. The conditions were awful with a gale-force wind and a pitch at the back of an airport that made our Saipan training pitch look like the Camp Nou. UEFA should never have sanctioned the game in Gibraltar, and this needs review (preferably after our competitors experience the same conditions). In addition, it was Mick's first game and first time with the players. I was happy with the result. Less so with the performance but we have time to work on that and will improve. Together with the flourishing underage players, we have plenty of things to be positive about.

For Georgia: Randolph to continue in goal, excellent save vs Gibraltar. Continue Doherty and Coleman experiment on right side. We can always try Coleman in a more advanced role if Doherty continues to look uncomfortable. I would not play Doherty left back, it is a hard adjustment to make when right-footed, like changing from a tight head prop to loose head - this will take time to work at and should not be experimented with for the first time Tuesday. Agree with Pineapple Stu that Coleman is nowhere near the same player since his return. I would love to see a young and up-and-coming center half like Egan come in beside Duffy, but Mick will persist with the 32-year-old Keogh. Stevens to continue at left back - although agree with some other posters that he's a bit lightweight and prone to errors, and I don't have great hope of him developing into a long-term reliable left back option. Regarding the center of midfield, loved SwanVsDalton comment on the lack of balance with Hourihane and Hendrick in there - two players that have a habit of ghosting in games. This needs to be addressed - Harry Arter is playing reasonably regular premier league football and needs to start here, at least he will be more consistently involved than the other two. Ideally, Browne would have been fit for this role. Certainly, I don't have any appetite to see Cullen or Byrne in there for now. I think it's a toss up for Hourihane vs Hendrick. Hopefully, neither of these players will be starting in a year's time, when the likes of Browne, Crowley, Molumby, and Smallbone hopefully start establishing themselves. Brady needs to start in place of McClean, simple as. Maguire and McGoldrick to start up front. I have never been impressed with McGoldrick - at Ipswich I felt he was a bit of a donkey, despite scoring goals with Sheff Utd he had not improved much this season when I watched him on 3 occasions. But for now, we have no one else so David is the man. Soon, we should be blessed for options in this position fingers crossed.

We should maintain traditional 4-4-2 formation, this is not the time to start experimenting. We need the home win vs Georgia.

geysir
24/03/2019, 10:38 PM
The Coleman Doherty on the same flank experiment was finished when Doherty was subbed and that was against the bottom ranked team. There is little or no chance that Mick will try it again against a better quality opponents like Georgia. The time to experiment was in the Nations league games.

irishfan86
24/03/2019, 11:18 PM
The Coleman Doherty on the same flank experiment was finished when Doherty was subbed and that was against the bottom ranked team. There is little or no chance that Mick will try it again against a better quality opponents like Georgia. The time to experiment was in the Nations league games.

I tend to agree although the irony is that playing two fullbacks on the right against superior opposition might actually be more effective than it was against a minnow. Horses for courses and while I have been supportive of the Doherty wing experiment I think Gibraltar was the wrong game to try. McGeady should be in the squad and that was a game where I would have started him.

tommy_c12000
24/03/2019, 11:24 PM
I was surprised Mick was so openly damning about Doherty after the game. I didn't think it was a complete disaster. With McGeady not in the squad, we don't have better options than this "experiment." Brady needs to go left wing. And I certainly don't want McClean still on the pitch.

geysir
25/03/2019, 12:05 AM
I thought Mick was more damning over his decision to place Doherty in that role.

Charlie Darwin
25/03/2019, 2:17 AM
He's played on the wing for Rovers.

geysir
25/03/2019, 9:24 AM
I tend to agree although the irony is that playing two fullbacks on the right against superior opposition might actually be more effective than it was against a minnow. Horses for courses and while I have been supportive of the Doherty wing experiment I think Gibraltar was the wrong game to try. McGeady should be in the squad and that was a game where I would have started him.
Obviously Mick had to enact some experimentation for the Gibraltar game because of the condition of the squad and that was his first game.
I don't think a bedding in process is an option for a 'Doherty at midfield' role. Mick can't afford to risk another game where it wouldn't work and cost us.
Even though possibly it would be a better scenario trying it out v Georgia, than in a muck scrap game v Gibraltar.

Olé Olé
25/03/2019, 10:12 AM
Won't even address that.

passinginterest
25/03/2019, 10:31 AM

Won't even address that.

It's the position he was playing in against Sligo, when McCarthy watched him and jumped him into the squad, having not even been on standby.

Rovers play a variation of 4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1. Byrne starts on the right but has a lot of freedom to drift around and generally gets in close to the central players to allow the full backs to push on. It's the type of formation that might suite Ireland against Georgia if we want Coleman to push on from full back.

Team that I think is likely to start;
Randolph,

Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, Stevens
Hendrick, Whelan, Arter
Brady, Maguire, McClean

third policeman
25/03/2019, 1:22 PM
McClean??????? As I said at very best a mascot or cheerleader maybe. Selecting McClean has got to be the ultimate instance of hope triumphing over experience, rationality and footballing common sense. He embodies all that is desperate and limited about our football philosophy. All heart, but no sense, guile, technique or patience.

Eminence Grise
25/03/2019, 1:53 PM
I was going to post my thoughts on McClean, but third policeman's put if perfectly for me.

passinginterest
25/03/2019, 2:14 PM
McClean??????? As I said at very best a mascot or cheerleader maybe. Selecting McClean has got to be the ultimate instance of hope triumphing over experience, rationality and footballing common sense. He embodies all that is desperate and limited about our football philosophy. All heart, but no sense, guile, technique or patience.

I wouldn't start him. But I think he'll start. It might be his last competitive start for us, because there'll be opportunities in the summer friendlies for others, but it looks to me like it'll be experience first in the selection for this one.

paul_oshea
25/03/2019, 2:43 PM
I thought Doherty and Coleman deserves another chance once they get a better understanding of eachother. I thought in the first half Doherty did the play well but Seamie was too slow or didnt read his intentions clearly. That deserves time and chance. So give it another go. I am not sure I would go with Stevens if its a case of getting doherty on the pitch and not getting on the pitch. But lets see how Stevens does against Georgia.

Arter looks like the only cert for me, hourihanes dead ball was very good but that's the only positive to take from Saturday. That and Mcgoldricks running. He was coming so deep sometimes it was ridiculous.

geysir
25/03/2019, 2:55 PM
If I were a betting man (though I'd be bankrupt 10 times over), Georgia at 5/1 doesn't look too shabby.

I doubt if McClean will be axed after one (non) performance under Mick.

CraftyToePoke
25/03/2019, 2:57 PM
If I were a betting man (though I'd be bankrupt 10 times over), Georgia at 5/1 doesn't look too shabby.

Whats Georgia 0-1 ?

geysir
25/03/2019, 3:05 PM
Whats Georgia 0-1 ?
14/1

Are there fans who could bet against their own team? Are there not conflict of interest laws against it?

ifk101
25/03/2019, 3:19 PM
If McClean is dropped, that presumably means Brady on the left and Brady was pretty brutal when he came on against Gibraltar. So not necessarily the better option on the left than McClean at this point in time. I'd play Coleman and Doherty again as against Gibraltar, don't see any other option within the squad selected, and drop Maguire for an extra body in midfield. Let Hendrick drift in midfield, add Arter for bite and have somebody anchoring it all.

zero
25/03/2019, 3:21 PM
Meanwhile, McCarthy has a major fitness concern ahead of the game with Georgia with Shane Duffy forced to miss training this morning.

"Shane has got a sore ankle but we just left him out today. He's going to have a scan and see if there's anything serious. I'm hoping if he's ok but might not be."

Duffy would be a loss, his hoofing notwithstanding. A real threat from set pieces and a solid defender.

CraftyToePoke
25/03/2019, 3:25 PM
14/1

Are there fans who could bet against their own team? Are there not conflict of interest laws against it?

Just file it under contingencies for crumbs of comfort.

Charlie Darwin
25/03/2019, 3:55 PM
Won't even address that.
I answered your question. There's no need to be rude about it.

Diggs246
25/03/2019, 4:10 PM
I fear all the evidence points to us losing tomorrow... we might get a goal but I doubt we will keep them scoreless.. maybe a draw but im not confident at all

OwlsFan
25/03/2019, 4:27 PM
To me there were three really disappointing aspects in the Gib game (ignoring the only one goal side of things): Duffy's distribution (from his very first touch), Stevens anonymity (and almost fatal error) and Maguire unable to hold the ball up. That's said, can't judge performances on one game but I think we should somehow try and accommodate both Doherty (we have few enough players playing at the top level and doing well) and Coleman (too early to speak of his demise). I like Judge. He can pass and move.

Georgia have outplayed us most times we have faced them and we still for the most part have come out on top. They even outplayed Switzerland and managed to lose 0-2. I would still fancy us to win but they need to be put under pressure and not allow them play.

zero
25/03/2019, 4:53 PM
Georgia have outplayed us most times we have faced them and we still for the most part have come out on top. They even outplayed Switzerland and managed to lose 0-2. I would still fancy us to win but they need to be put under pressure and not allow them play.

Agree - this game is about being effective, being aggressive, winning the ball and getting on with the play.