PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane and chips

Pages : [1] 2

OwlsFan
18/04/2005, 12:43 PM
Anyone else amused by the photos of the Man U team, with Roy Keane, in Friday's papers eating in a chip shop before the cup semi-final.

Wasn't Jack Charlton slated in Roy's book for bring the team to Harry Ramsden's in the week before a game (although that at least was a cash earner for Jack :D ).

Irony of ironies... :)

Dublin12
18/04/2005, 12:48 PM
Was it not Burdocks they went to with Jack :( ,Harry's is much better :) ,depending on yous chip tastes :D

Eire06
18/04/2005, 12:49 PM
Didn't see the picture but can't imagine fergie letting them eat that crap before a match... Maybe a tabloid exaggerated story where the truth is slightly bent...
What were they eating though could have been salads!! you can get all sorts in Chip shops these days! :eek: Or just a drink..

OwlsFan
18/04/2005, 12:51 PM
No fish and chips and there was a list of what everyone ordered - there was even a picture of Keane sitting at the table but I think he only had the fish (but presumably with batter :) ).

Peadar
18/04/2005, 12:56 PM
Fish and chips are high in carbohydrates and protein.
Just what you need before a big game.
The fat isn't a problem for people who are so active because it's a source of energy. (to a certain extent)

No food is bad food!
It's when you over indulge that you run into problems.

ColinR
18/04/2005, 12:57 PM
yes, but the irish trip to the chipper culminated with at least one of the lads completing harry's challenge which was an absolute mountain of fast food.

BaZmO*
18/04/2005, 12:58 PM
I seen a picture on the back page of the Mirror on Saturday, but it Rooney, Ferdinad and Brown. Didn't see Keane.

Having one fry up is not really going to have a detramental effect on their performances tbh!

Although I'd get worried if they started indulging in the Richard Dunne prematch diet!!!
;)

B.

Babysis
18/04/2005, 1:03 PM
I seen a picture on the back page of the Mirror on Saturday, but it Rooney, Ferdinad and Brown. Didn't see Keane.

Same as that. It was that fat little get Rooney I saw. As for Keane, Its not a problem really, one meal.

galwaygirl
18/04/2005, 1:05 PM
Whatever they all ate, it seemed to have worked well for them. :D

Man Utd 4-1 Newcastle

tiktok
18/04/2005, 1:08 PM
Wasn't Jack Charlton slated in Roy's book for bring the team to Harry Ramsden's in the week before a game (although that at least was a cash earner for Jack :D ).

Irony of ironies... :)

Nothing Ironic about it.
If memory serves Roy slated Jack for getting the squad to have a fish and chip eating competition which involved the squad gorging on Burdock's finest. ;)

BaZmO*
18/04/2005, 1:12 PM
Was it not Burdocks they went to with Jack :( ,Harry's is much better :) ,depending on yous chip tastes :D

It was definitely Ramsdens. They one on the Naas Road beside where Courts used to be. I think Jack had a share in the place.

B.

OwlsFan
18/04/2005, 1:14 PM
If memory serves Roy slated Jack for getting the squad to have a fish and chip eating competition which involved the squad gorging on Burdock's finest. ;)

No, definitely Harry Ramsden because that's who Jack was sponsored by.

I didn't read the book (I'm going on hearsay) because I wouldn't put the money in Dunphy's pocket and in the index every reference to Sheffield Wednesday turned out to refer to the Piggies in Bramall Lane :eek:

thejollyrodger
18/04/2005, 2:15 PM
its the wrong kind of fat. olive oil is the right stuff, not that muck you get in a chipper !! Keano is all double speak :mad:

BaZmO*
18/04/2005, 2:21 PM
its the wrong kind of fat

Like Andy Reid?

B.

holidaysong
18/04/2005, 2:22 PM
A north Wales chip shop can count the stars of Manchester United among its customers after they stopped off following a day's white-water rafting.
The first team spent £175 on chips, fish, pies and sausages at Y Badell Aur chippy in Bala, Gwynedd, on Thursday.

Full story at: www.bbc.co.uk/football (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4448327.stm)

Peadar
18/04/2005, 2:51 PM
its the wrong kind of fat. olive oil is the right stuff

It's all fat!
Olive oil is better for your heart but it's still fat.
You still need to burn it off.
Many chippers use vegetable oil now because of the increase in demands from vegetarian customers.

stojkovic
18/04/2005, 2:54 PM
It was definitely Ramsdens. They one on the Naas Road beside where Courts used to be. I think Jack had a share in the place.

B.
Defo Harry Ramsdens on Naas Road.
Jack had shares in the place or something.
Before Austria match - players complained their legs went in the last twenty minutes. Never mind Jack got a few quid from Harry.

OwlsFan
18/04/2005, 4:38 PM
Match was a disgrace ok but nothing to do with the chips - more the end of an era for the team :(

From the BBC: "Rooney opted for a jumbo sausage with his chips, Ronaldo picked chicken, while Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Roy Keane and Wes Brown were among those who went for the traditional fish option."

Double standard by Keane. Hope they didn't laugh too much as well :D :p

Babysis
18/04/2005, 4:42 PM
Match was a disgrace ok but nothing to do with the chips - more the end of an era for the team :(

From the BBC: "Rooney opted for a jumbo sausage with his chips, Ronaldo picked chicken, while Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Roy Keane and Wes Brown were among those who went for the traditional fish option."

Double standard by Keane. Hope they didn't laugh too much as well :D :p

I really dont think its a double standard by Keane. Im not in his fan club by any stretch, but i think he is being unfairly criticised. they were on a team building jolly, there was a problem with the catering, so they had fish and chips - Its not the end of the world and i seriously doubt it will effect his performance

NeilMcD
18/04/2005, 4:46 PM
It also depends on what day of the week it was, if its the day before the match you seriously nned to watch what you are eating but it if its a few days before that is ok. THe most important meal is the one you hare going to have the day before that match. I doubt this was on saturday afternoon.

Also I think the main problem with the Harrys Challenge thing was that the players actually had a competition to see who was the winner and it was a publicity stunt too so that Jack could get his business in the papers etc. I dont think Ferguson has shares in this little fish shop and he certainly did not advertise the fact that they woudl be there. As the previous poster said it was brought about due to the fact that the other rest. was closed that day.

OwlsFan
18/04/2005, 4:53 PM
It also depends on what day of the week it was, if its the day before the match you seriously nned to watch what you are eating but it if its a few days before that is ok. THe most important meal is the one you hare going to have the day before that match. I doubt this was on saturday afternoon.

I agree with you - just like in Saipan a drink with the press two weeks before the matches began shouldn't have been a problem.

But we won't go there again :eek: I just wanted to flag this (Keane included)to those who attacked my hero Jack for his chips escapade - the man who rescued both Ireland and Sheffield Wenesday from the doldrums. Ni feicimid a leithid aris.

Littlest Hobo
18/04/2005, 5:09 PM
Ferguson is spot on there. It'll fill them up, especially after water rafting in freezing wales.
After I've had me fill of porter, a nice piece of cod and a bag of piping hot chunky chips....drenched in salt and vinegar goes down a threat:p :D

Green Tribe
18/04/2005, 5:43 PM
As a once-off it won't harm them. If anything, the Utd players eating fish and chips will make them look a bit more like normal lads. (Apart from the Nevilles who are both Satan personified).

i believe SHrek Rooney went for the unhealthier choice of sausage and chips! naughty boy! :D

Closed Account 2
18/04/2005, 5:53 PM
Wonder if Rio Ferdinand tried sniffing the salt.

CollegeTillIDie
18/04/2005, 9:24 PM
Defo Harry Ramsdens on Naas Road.
Jack had shares in the place or something.
Before Austria match - players complained their legs went in the last twenty minutes. Never mind Jack got a few quid from Harry.

Well what accounts for the fact that Ireland have not been able to beat Austria for more than 50 years then? :confused:

ColinR
19/04/2005, 8:14 AM
Well what accounts for the fact that Ireland have not been able to beat Austria for more than 50 years then? :confused:

i'd say the fact that we dont play them too often! but sure its nearly ten years since they last beat us :)

stojkovic
19/04/2005, 9:55 AM
Longer than that, Austria had a great side in the Thirties - the WUNDERTEAM.

Macy
19/04/2005, 11:43 AM
Yeah Owlsfan, a bag of fish and chips is exactly the same as trying to do the Harry Ramsden Challenge... :rolleyes:

KR's Post
19/04/2005, 12:00 PM
Whatever they all ate, it seemed to have worked well for them. :D

Man Utd 4-1 Newcastle
Very true!!!!! :D :D :D Come on you reds. ;)

Roo69
19/04/2005, 12:08 PM
Fish and chips are high in carbohydrates and protein.
Just what you need before a big game.
The fat isn't a problem for people who are so active because it's a source of energy. (to a certain extent)

No food is bad food!
It's when you over indulge that you run into problems.

Very true, St. Pats order a load of pizzas directly after every match for the players to load up on carbs, was so funny seeing about 10/15 4 star pizzas being delivered to the carlisle for them :D

OwlsFan
19/04/2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah Owlsfan, a bag of fish and chips is exactly the same as trying to do the Harry Ramsden Challenge... :rolleyes:

The Harry Ramsden challnge: A bumper portion of haddock, chips, mushy peas and a round of bread and butter.

Sounds yummm. Obviously not enough people ate them since the place went bottom up.

But with Keane now promoting eating at fish and chip shops, maybe they should consider re-opening :D

Eire06
19/04/2005, 12:22 PM
I agree with you - just like in Saipan a drink with the press two weeks before the matches began shouldn't have been a problem.

But we won't go there again :eek: I just wanted to flag this (Keane included)to those who attacked my hero Jack for his chips escapade - the man who rescued both Ireland and Sheffield Wenesday from the doldrums. Ni feicimid a leithid aris.
I'm open to correction on this but wasn't Roy complaining about the fact that they had no nutritional balance in their diet and were allowed to eat and drink what they wanted, it was actually pushed upon them and an example was Jack bringing them to that fish and chip place before a match..

I would say the Man U thing was a once off because they have numerous nutritionists at the club and every player has a specific diet..
So therefore he is not going back on what he said.. And not saying one thing and doing another.. Quit the Roy Bashing

tricky_colour
19/04/2005, 3:25 PM
Very true, St. Pats order a load of pizzas directly after every match for the players to load up on carbs, was so funny seeing about 10/15 4 star pizzas being delivered to the carlisle for them :D

I would imagine most pizzas are as much fat as carb, probably worse
than fish and chips.
Edit - Well maybe not as bad as fish and chips, but its a high fat rather
than a high carb food. Actually in terms of saturated fat, the stuff which
is meant to bad for you its a really unhealthy food as its packed with the stuff
and fish and chips would be better.
Actuallly I just checked some cheese I got from the supermarket and it only
quotes the total fat not the saturated fat figures, obviously trying to hide
the fact its really unhealthy. Naturally the products which are relatively low in saturated fat (vegatable oil) does have the figure quoted.
It's nice to know Sainsburys use their nutrition information as marketing to deceive the public and even nicer that the government allow them to do it :mad:

Opps I seems to have steered a little off topic :D

OwlsFan
19/04/2005, 4:08 PM
Quit the Roy Bashing

Poor Roy.

Didn't the Man U and Arsenal guys "exchange" pizzas at the end of the last game in Old Trafford or was it just the Arsenal guys passing them on to Fergie. Surprised that Keane didn't reply with a Haddock and large fries :D
Or maybe it was just soup:

http://www.soupfight.co.uk/soup.html

onenilgameover
19/04/2005, 7:53 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about a new dinner choice in the Chipper ''A Roy and chips''

or it could be...

''A Langer and Chips''

''A Battered Alfie and Chips''

''A Prawn Sandwhich and Chips''

Cowboy
19/04/2005, 7:58 PM
" a chipper on the shoulder" :)

M@ttitude
19/04/2005, 7:59 PM
Lol

A Mick Mac Sandwich and chips available at Roys Rolls.. :D

OwlsFan
20/04/2005, 11:27 AM
Well that would put him in his plaice :D

NeilMcD
20/04/2005, 1:39 PM
Lads has anybody seen todays Sun they actually carried this story from the Website. Saying that fans on the website foot.ie were giving out about the double standards of Roy Keane. Shows what a load of rubbish that paper is and they are certainly strugglin for stories. Owls Fan you should ask for payment

neil

OwlsFan
20/04/2005, 3:31 PM
:D Fame at last. Are they making a cod of themselves by printing that ? :D

Eire06
20/04/2005, 3:34 PM
Lads has anybody seen todays Sun they actually carried this story from the Website. Saying that fans on the website foot.ie were giving out about the double standards of Roy Keane. Shows what a load of rubbish that paper is and they are certainly strugglin for stories. Owls Fan you should ask for payment

neil
Ya they got it wrong too should be Fans jump to conclusions and accuse Roy of double standards

OwlsFan
20/04/2005, 3:40 PM
If they didn't hear right, maybe they need their herring corrected! :D

Eire06
20/04/2005, 3:44 PM

your soooooooooooooo funny :rolleyes:
How can they hear something thats written?? Tell me that smart a$$ :rolleyes:

Dublin12
20/04/2005, 3:52 PM
Headline in Sun tomorrow

Foot.ie talks aload of Pollocks

OwlsFan
20/04/2005, 4:08 PM
Had to run out and have a look at the Sun. After spending 5 minutes on Page 3, I found the article over the next page. Big spread (the article) with a photo of Keane with a large plate of chips and fish in front of him - not sure if it was a Harrys Ramsden Special though and two quotes from this thread, but none mine :mad: One quote was where someone said it didn't do them any harm and the other was the one where someone said Fergie wouldn't allow them eat that cr*p.

A good day's work but I can't think of another pun to annoy Eire06 :confused:

hamish
20/04/2005, 4:14 PM
Wonder if Rio Ferdinand tried sniffing the salt.
You had me in fits of laughter with that crack - I wonder did the menu include prawn sandwiches? :D :D

Cowboy
20/04/2005, 5:25 PM

keep it up and somebody will batter you :)

onenilgameover
20/04/2005, 11:32 PM
Hey the prawn sandwhich and the batter puns have already been made in this thread. Credit where its due or there'ill be snack boxes flyin..

hamish
20/04/2005, 11:57 PM
Hey the prawn sandwhich and the batter puns have already been made in this thread. Credit where its due or there'ill be snack boxes flyin..
Jesus, I'm blind in one eye at the moment (temporarily hopefully) but how the fcuk did I miss that? Make sure the snack boxes are full - some food will end in me mouth!!! I'll go back and read your post at least twice. Otherwise I'll get an awful haddock. :eek:
Allright,Allright, I'm getting my coat........... :D

OwlsFan
21/04/2005, 3:10 PM
Oil go mad with any more of these puns and a salt you but at least they're a ray of sunshine. Now, I'll sign off before I Borza to sleep.