View Full Version : The Lobby Bar Cork. Open Again

James
18/04/2005, 11:08 AM
its back
open again tonight at 6pm
happy days :)

A face
18/04/2005, 11:23 AM
The man himself John Spillane said it on Saturday night aswell ..... after an excellent of 'They were magic nights in the Lobby bar' !!

The guy is a legend ... what a brilliant gig !!

Lionel Ritchie
18/04/2005, 12:46 PM
Great news. best of Luck to the Lobby in the future.

A face
18/04/2005, 5:03 PM
Great news. best of Luck to the Lobby in the future.

Agreed .... bleedin' tax man, taking all the money and you dont even see him to abuse him !! :D

Éanna
18/04/2005, 5:04 PM
great news

Jim Comic
25/04/2005, 7:54 AM
lobby sold for 1.4 million. no news yet on whether new owner will keep it as a music venue

A face
25/04/2005, 11:18 AM
lobby sold for 1.4 million. no news yet on whether new owner will keep it as a music venue

Is that a good or bad price for it ?? It is in a good location and has a good few bars around it that attract a crowd aswell.

There is one thing that all those bars should do, set up a beer garden on the Quay .... there is more than enough room and would be great atmosphere in the summer. Or maybe the dictatorship that City Hall have on the city would prevent anyone even remotely thinking outside the box :rolleyes:

Jim Comic
25/04/2005, 11:20 AM
slightly more than they were asking so it's a good price i guess. Apparently another one of the pubs there is for sale too.

Risteard
05/02/2008, 2:15 AM
:)Watch this space again.:)

Tapas bar flopped thankfully.
Actually, I thought there would have been enough flashy types in and out of City Hall to keep it busy but no.

MojoPin
05/02/2008, 2:21 PM
what are the chances of opening it as a music venue again?

Risteard
05/02/2008, 2:28 PM
Well, there's no problems with the seisuins downstairs anyway but I wouldn't know what the HSA stance on upstairs is.

Lionel Ritchie
08/02/2008, 8:08 AM
Was staying across the river in Jurys last summer and was saddened to see the lobby was being run as what appeared to be a cocktail bar/cafeteria. Didn't venture over.

Would love to see it revert to a music venue. Got to play there a couple of times and saw some savage gigs in there ...Andy White, Edwin Collins ...perfect for that kind of gig.

Any word on the new place next door 'The Whiskey' (over Donkey's I believe)? Playing there in April but have heard very little about it.

The Good Son
08/02/2008, 9:41 AM
Any word on the new place next door 'The Whiskey' (over Donkey's I believe)? Playing there in April but have heard very little about it.

The Whiskey used to be the Phoenix once upon a time, which is next door to what was once Donkey's. In its' day it was the best pub in Cork. It's the guy who has Fred Zeppelins that has it now, I think. I haven't been there since it reopened as The Whiskey but The Phoenix was a great place for gigs, from a punters point of view it was anyway. I don't know what it was like to play there.
I think it's closed again at the moment due to some problem with the licence, but is due to reopen again shortly as far as I know.

Lionel Ritchie
08/02/2008, 1:38 PM
thanks. I meant the Phoenix.

noby
12/02/2008, 11:58 AM
Under what guise are you playing there, Lionel? Is this a HMHB outing? Let us know dates will you?

Lionel Ritchie
12/02/2008, 1:48 PM
Under what guise are you playing there, Lionel? Is this a HMHB outing? Let us know dates will you?

Yep. Fri 25th April. following night we're in Limerick. Interest from a few other places but still nothing solid.

The Good Son
12/02/2008, 2:01 PM
Yep. Fri 25th April. following night we're in Limerick. Interest from a few other places but still nothing solid.

Sounds like a good night. City at home to Drogs, and in to The Whiskey afterwards for a HMHB singalong. Any idea what time you'd be on stage at?

noby
12/02/2008, 2:02 PM
Excellent. Noted in diary.

Lionel Ritchie
13/02/2008, 1:26 PM
Sounds like a good night. City at home to Drogs, and in to The Whiskey afterwards for a HMHB singalong. Any idea what time you'd be on stage at?

Assuming the worst in terms of curfew (i.e. last band offstage at 11.30) we'd be on at 10pm. You'd be in plenty of time.

razor
13/02/2008, 3:00 PM
Assuming the worst in terms of curfew (i.e. last band offstage at 11.30) we'd be on at 10pm. You'd be in plenty of time.Great stuff, we'll be there ;)

MojoPin
13/02/2008, 5:01 PM
Assuming the worst in terms of curfew (i.e. last band offstage at 11.30) we'd be on at 10pm. You'd be in plenty of time.

whats your musical backround lionel? i may be able to get you a gig in cobh! myspace link or anything? bar i practically run has hosts bands such as The Pale, the walls, 4 of us.

Lionel Ritchie
13/02/2008, 11:07 PM
whats your musical backround lionel? i may be able to get you a gig in cobh! myspace link or anything? bar i practically run has hosts bands such as The Pale, the walls, 4 of us.

check your PMs
:)

Risteard
14/02/2008, 1:24 AM
Don''t mind that.
Reveal your true showbiz face Lionel.
HMHB??

noby
14/02/2008, 7:28 AM
Don't be so coy, Lionel.

On second thoughts, I should leave it up to Lionel as to whether he wants his former band to be 'outed'.

The Good Son
14/02/2008, 8:26 AM
HMHB??

Half Man Half Biscuit

Lionel Ritchie
14/02/2008, 9:40 AM
Half Man Half Biscuit

not quite (http://www.halfarsedhalfbiscuit.com) ...more like their outsourced Irish franchise.

razor
15/02/2008, 10:30 AM
Half Man Half BiscuitYou'll have to wear that new TShirt now. ;)

The Good Son
15/02/2008, 11:17 AM
You'll have to wear that new TShirt now. ;)

All I need now is a marker to write Half Arsed Half Biscuit on it.

razor
15/02/2008, 11:42 AM
All I need now is a marker to write Half Arsed Half Biscuit on it.I'm sure there'll be merchandise on sale at the gig.

Lionel Ritchie
15/02/2008, 11:47 AM
I'm sure there'll be merchandise on sale at the gig.
For reasons that straddle Fraud, Personation, Passing Off and Copyright Breach -No there won't.:cool:

razor
21/04/2008, 8:49 AM
Yep. Fri 25th April. following night we're in Limerick. Interest from a few other places but still nothing solid.Bumping this Lionel, are we still on for this Friday?

Lionel Ritchie
22/04/2008, 6:31 PM
Bumping this Lionel, are we still on for this Friday?

Indeed we are!

Not sure what the admission is yet but we'll price it to sell anyway ...likely scarcely more than the price of a pint.

New HMHB LP out next monday. Can't wait.
Now I must be away to work on my Birkenhead dipthongs.

The Good Son
26/04/2008, 9:16 AM
Indeed we are!

Not sure what the admission is yet but we'll price it to sell anyway ...likely scarcely more than the price of a pint.

It was well worth the price anyway. Very enjoyable gig after a not very enjoyable football game.

Lionel Ritchie
26/04/2008, 9:33 AM
It was well worth the price anyway. Very enjoyable gig after a not very enjoyable football game.

Thanks. Sorry I didn't say hello ...or maybe I did I dunno -I forgot to enquire of people if they were foot.ie folk.

We really enjoyed it too. A great little crowd well up for it. Hoarse and tired today now but very pleased.

I'm hopeful I got an audio recording of a good bit of it but the yoke ran out of juice so I can't check til monday.

Thanks again.

razor
27/04/2008, 9:02 PM
Thanks. Sorry I didn't say hello ...or maybe I did I dunno -I forgot to enquire of people if they were foot.ie folk. You couldn't miss us, we were right under your nose ;)
Thank God you played Trumpton, that heckler was getting annoying.

Lionel Ritchie
28/04/2008, 7:21 AM
You couldn't miss us, we were right under your nose ;)
Thank God you played Trumpton, that heckler was getting annoying.

:rolleyes: feckin tell me about it. I was listening to a recording of the gig last night and the cupid stunt shouts for it a couple of times during 24 Hour Garage People.

He was getting messier and messier all evening as well AND he didn't pay in. Five measly quid and Uber-fan couldn't reach into his pocket. I was just glad he stayed as far back as he did.

Couple of the audio tracks might be presentable so I'll link back if we post them on the myspace. If you know any of the folks there with cameras you might urge them to send on a link.