PDA

View Full Version : Help..New music needed.

Countyman
18/04/2005, 8:00 AM
I'm totally out of touch with any current decent music. I tend to get caught up in my old albums so its time to buy a few new EXCELLENT albums.

I'm ready to buy 5 cd's and I need your help. Recommend albums please!

Favourite bands ...U2 / Stone Roses / Smiths / Radiohead / Something Happens / Charlatans / Happy Mondays / Ride / Pixies / Counting crows / Metallica / Guns n roses / The The / Pop will eat itself / Jesus and Mary Chain

also love Planxty / Luka Bloom / Horslips.

Any help greatly appreciated! Cheers.

Gareth
18/04/2005, 9:14 AM
Hell is for Heroes - The Neon Handshake (they also have a new album out)
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullibies to Paralyse
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Muse - Absolution
Tom McRae - Tom McRae

Honorable second choices:
Mark Geary - Ghosts
The Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons
Red House Painters - The one with the Carnival Wheel on
The Killers - Hot Fuss

noby
18/04/2005, 9:42 AM
Red House Painters - The one with the Carnival Wheel on

I was about to say new doesn't necessarily mean good, and nothing wrong with old albums. RHP - case in point.

British Sea Power - released their debut (The decline of...) a couple of years ago. Excellent album. Just released their second, haven't got it yet, but read v.good reviews. Obvious influences include Pixies, early Radiohead.

paul_oshea
18/04/2005, 9:58 AM
new music for you, doesnt mean it has to be current music. if you like metallica and the likes a few bands along the same lines from the 80's are a safe bet. the likes of acdc, motorhead, iron maiden etc.

other bands like guns n roses would be twisted sister, motley crue etc.

try twisted sister - we're not gonna take it, as a start.

Gareth
18/04/2005, 10:16 AM
I cant recommend Tom McRae enough. I love his two albums. If you like RHP's style well I can't see you not liking Tom. Its different but kinda links in a bit. I got Anthony and the Johnsons album on the weekend, I am a Bird Now, different, wouldn't recommend it to the original poster but maybe to you noby, but listen to it before you buy, its a slow burner. Noby, what other music you like?

CollegeTillIDie
18/04/2005, 8:31 PM
Countyman
Well if you need help invest in the Horslips back catalogue... the first 5 CD's should do the trick... Happy To Meet Sorry to Part; The Tain; The Unfortunate Cup of Tea; Dancehall Sweethearts and Drive the COld Winter Away :D

City Hero
18/04/2005, 10:47 PM
Just got Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other. today. Haven't stopped listening to it all evening.

Also worth checking out; Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak.

If you want to hear samples of songs, check out mycokemusic (http://www.mycokemusic.com). Registration is free, along with 30 second samples of every song.

ken foree
18/04/2005, 11:56 PM
Stone Roses / Charlatans / Happy Mondays / Ride / Jesus and Mary Chain

RUN (don't walk) to your nearest independent record store or website and get manitoba's 'up in flames' if you like the above bands. they're like primal scream's early stuff mixed with beta band and a dollop of sweet sweet shoegazey stuff on top. i mean it! i think you'll like it

ken foree
18/04/2005, 11:57 PM
..or, failing that, 'happy to meet, sorry to part' by horslips :D

Countyman
19/04/2005, 8:28 AM
Cheers everyone. Gonna check out some of your recommendations now.

Defo gonna try Tom McCrae , manitoba and queens of the stone age.

have all the horslips stuff.
rock on!

M@ttitude
19/04/2005, 7:50 PM
I got Bloc Party, gets better every time I listen to it.. Better than the Killers any day!! Waiting for Coldplays X's & Y's, id say its class.. Not too sure about Oasis, they were my first love but we've lost the spark in our relationship..

Five albums to get from a fan of music such as yours..

Bloc Party
Kasabian
Ian Brown
Snow patrol
Not sure maybe The killers

Countyman
20/04/2005, 2:05 PM
which ian brown album is the best to get?

not sure about kasabian. Should i believe the hype?

Gareth
20/04/2005, 2:59 PM
Are you still getting Tom McRae? Cos if you do, make sure you get the first album self titled. Start with that one!! Not the second. Get the seocnd after !! The Third one is due in a month or two!!

Countyman
20/04/2005, 3:35 PM
yep i ordered that from amazon yesterday. Looking forward to it

ken foree
22/04/2005, 3:52 PM
the manitoba 'up in flames' record i suggested - well they had to change their name from manitoba so it might be listed under 'caribou' now. same thing, same album. and they've just released a new album under the name caribou ('milk of human kindness') which has been getting good reviews around the web. here's one

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=2934

Kingdom
23/04/2005, 9:12 AM
[QUOTE]which ian brown album is the best to get?
Hard to say. I have all of his albums bar the latest and they are all good.
His first is quite raw, but there are a couple of very good songs, in particular My Star.
His next one was good but there was more of a gap between the good songs and the average. Music from the Spheres was very good all round.

not sure about kasabian. Should i believe the hype?[/
Yes. Yes you should. I absolutely love them. Not like the love between the man and a woman, but the love between a man and a fine Cuban cigar.
QUOTE]