PDA

View Full Version : Winter rugby internationals at Lansdown

Colie
17/04/2005, 5:55 PM
I know we're gonna win the group but......

Would the Winter rugby internationals interfere with a play off in November? If Lansdown Road is being used by the ruggers then surley we wouldn't be able to use it during that period. Might have to go to Anfield again.

Won't come to it, but worth noting.

Superhoops
17/04/2005, 8:03 PM
I know we're gonna win the group but......

Would the Winter rugby internationals interfere with a play off in November? If Lansdown Road is being used by the ruggers then surley we wouldn't be able to use it during that period. Might have to go to Anfield again.

Won't come to it, but worth noting.
We played Iran and Turkey in play-offs in November at LR without any problems. When we played Holland on Anfield it was in December and was a one-leg affair played on a neutral ground.

pete
17/04/2005, 9:46 PM
Worst case scenario we have to play the weekend game away & home leg on the wednesday.

mypost
18/04/2005, 3:44 AM
Worst case scenario we have to play the weekend game away & home leg on the wednesday.

UEFA decide where the games are, depending on the draw. The games can't be negotiated between the countries, like in a qualifying group. If the draw says we have the home leg first, (again!! :(), it will be played on the Saturday. The rugby game will have to move to the Sunday.

gspain
18/04/2005, 8:28 AM
It is already planned. If I remember correctly the rugby game is New Zealand and it is still down for Saturday or Sunday.

soylent green
18/04/2005, 6:33 PM
There is a potential major clash here.

Ireland v New Zealand on Sat Nov 12 same day as playoff first leg so we'd have to play second leg second on Wed Nov 15. Problem is bucket seats would have to be put up straight after Sat game for Wednesday match and then back down by Saturday when Ireland play Australia. I have been told this is not possible.

So that means playoff in front of 22,000 in Lansdowne. If we are in playoff the match may have to be moved to Britain. Maybe they might let us into Croker? Doubt it.

CollegeTillIDie
18/04/2005, 9:16 PM
There is a potential major clash here.

Ireland v New Zealand on Sat Nov 12 same day as playoff first leg so we'd have to play second leg second on Wed Nov 15. Problem is bucket seats would have to be put up straight after Sat game for Wednesday match and then back down by Saturday when Ireland play Australia. I have been told this is not possible.

So that means playoff in front of 22,000 in Lansdowne. If we are in playoff the match may have to be moved to Britain. Maybe they might let us into Croker? Doubt it.

Apparently the motion passed at the GAA Congress allows foreign sports in Croker only when Lansdowne is off limits......

onenilgameover
19/04/2005, 2:53 AM
It clashes alright its on the New Zeland rugby site but not the Irish one.

http://www.planet-rugby.com/Teams/New_Zealand/story_41302.shtml

Here's uefa bit on it...

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/WorldCup/FixturesResults/index.html

Whats does ''off limits'' mean are they refering to the reconstruction of LR or it being unavailiable as it will be on Sat the 12th of Nov.

mypost
19/04/2005, 4:30 AM

When we played Iran at home, there was a rugby game scheduled for the same day, but the IRFU moved their game to Sunday. The same will almost certainly happen again if there is a clash, so i wouldn't be too concerned. The rugby game is ultimately meaningless, after all. If we're drawn to play the first leg at home, it will be on the Saturday, no questions asked. As regards the seating arrangements, rugby Internationals have been played with bucket seats behind the goals at Lansdowne before, around the time of International football games, so that's not a major concern either.

Schumi
19/04/2005, 12:50 PM
The IRFU won't be happy with losing 14,000 off the capacity for a game against the All Blacks, I doubt they'd agree to having the temp. seating in place.

OwlsFan
19/04/2005, 1:02 PM
The FAI would probably have to cough up the balance of the lost spectators in such circumstances. I'd imagine it's all covered in the small print.

Saint Tom
19/04/2005, 5:21 PM
not a rugby fan by any means but the winter tests against southern hemisphere powers are big events in there calendar