PDA

View Full Version : Robbie linked with Newcastle

sligoman
17/04/2005, 4:35 PM
Irish international Robbie Keane has been heavily linked with a switch North to Newcastle in today’s tabloids.

The striker is on top of most Premiership managers shopping lists following a bust up with manager Martin Jol. Both Steve Bruce and David O’ Leary have already expressed an interest in the sharpshooter. However it seems Graham Souness has now moved into pole position and is set to offer an exciting package. The Geordie’s manager has £25 million to spend in the Summer and sees the Tallaght man as the perfect foil for Alan Shearer.

Whilst Spurs manager Jol has publicly claimed Keane will stay at White Hart Lane, it is thought a transfer involving Newcastle’s James Milner plus cash may be too much to refuse.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16931

brine3
17/04/2005, 11:43 PM
And there's me thinking Souness didn't want to sign people who spend half their time in nightclubs...

I'll be able to give the Dutch colleagues a good slagging though when I tell them Robbie Keane is signed to replace the inadequate Patrick Kluivert.

Closed Account 2
18/04/2005, 1:23 AM
I really hope he doesnt go to Birmingham City. For a start he'd be in direct competition with Clinton, and even then Bruce might well pick Heskey/Pandiani/Pennant ahead of him, as he seems to favour those players a lot. Newcastle or Villa would be a better bet for him.

tonycuna
18/04/2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I think Robbie have to choose between, remain at Spurs and be a first forward choice, or go to Newcastle and become a obvious first choice @place of Kluivert. The other choices aren't good for him. Although he'll be a sure first forward for us in BK's eleven, he has to remain at the top in his club career too, and Spurs/Newcastle are the only chances to do this.. in my opinion ;)

paul_oshea
18/04/2005, 4:51 PM
why would he want to go near villa with that mule oleary involved. oleary would get someone else in and then not play him :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
18/04/2005, 9:14 PM
I reckon O'Leary would love to have Robbie at Villa. But they're a dead-end club going nowhere. They're not even the biggest club in Birmingham these days.

You're quite correct... Walsall Rule :D

OwlsFan
20/04/2005, 11:57 AM
I reckon O'Leary would love to have Robbie at Villa. But they're a dead-end club going nowhere. They're not even the biggest club in Birmingham these days.

Villa were European Champions with a very large support base. Not a dead end club by any manner of means. One of the sleeping giants of the English League that needs to be well managed.

Souness is quoted as saying that he wants experienced players in future, not untried youngsters. Robbie would fit that bill but I don't think he should go there. The Toon fans are very unforgiving (poor O'Brien gets crucified on their boards) and any loss of form by Robbie would result in him getting terrible grief. Anyway, isn't Shearer staying on for another season ?

Robbie needs a target man to play off. He should work well with Kanoute but not Defoe or Mido.