PDA

View Full Version : sean flannery

red arrow
17/04/2005, 12:52 PM
mistake was not made by sligo rovers and wexford boy
sean connors was unaware that flannery was still signed by yeats united. the fowl up was made by representative of sligo leitrim league who forgot to pass on info to fai re flannery registration with sligo rovers. these are the facts and decision has being taken NO DEDUCTION OF POINTS.
sligo rovers informed fai of flannery situation , sligo leitrim
representative forgot to confirm same

red arrow
17/04/2005, 3:18 PM
i dont take the **** out of anybody i am very genuine in what i say. these are the facts as given to me. i have not made up any of this. rovers were not to blame

shedhead
17/04/2005, 3:54 PM
hope ur right

Redzer
17/04/2005, 4:24 PM
sligo rovers informed fai of flannery situation , sligo leitrim
representative forgot to confirm same

Would the Sligo/Leitrim rep be a certain very large gentleman, I wonder??? Because I heard it was him who made the official complaint to the FAI. Strange indeed.

sligoman
17/04/2005, 5:50 PM
AFAIK Sean Connor and Flannery have to attend a meeting on Monday to discuss the situation. We'll know the story then.

I think so too and it aint looking too good for us either.

sligoman
17/04/2005, 5:57 PM
No it's not. Although I believe a certain someone can clear it up and save rovers six points. but he wont do it. Sad to see such a split within Sligo. It's a disgrace that somone from Sligo would wish failure upon the club. Their not only damning the club, but us everyday supporters. That person will look and be though of very badly if we lose 6 points

Who is it then? :confused:

Soper
17/04/2005, 5:57 PM
Would the Sligo/Leitrim rep be a certain very large gentleman, I wonder??? Because I heard it was him who made the official complaint to the FAI. Strange indeed.
I think I know you your referring to.If I'm wrong, then I apologise.

xxxxxxxxxxx - name deleted by mod: sorry folks, naming names could create problems for the hoster of this forum.

shedhead
17/04/2005, 6:29 PM
ya well he's head of the Sligo/Leitrim Fai, so he's bound to be involved in some shape or form. I didnt think he personally hates rovers but then again i never see him at matchs so dont know whats the craic between him and his home town team. Its a disgrace that there is any gap between Sligo/Leitrim and sligo rovers. They should each help out whenever possible to get success for rovers, junior clubs and the represenitive sligo/leitrim teams.

Soper
17/04/2005, 6:45 PM
ya well he's head of the Sligo/Leitrim Fai, so he's bound to be involved in some shape or form. I didnt think he personally hates rovers but then again i never see him at matchs so dont know whats the craic between him and his home town team. Its a disgrace that there is any gap between Sligo/Leitrim and sligo rovers. They should each help out whenever possible to get success for rovers, junior clubs and the represenitive sligo/leitrim teams.
There has been a bit of a grudge for a few years, well there was when I lived in the town.Something happened I believe, but my minds a bit hazy as to what specifically it was.

Petmuller
17/04/2005, 9:51 PM
There has been a bit of a grudge for a few years, well there was when I lived in the town.Something happened I believe, but my minds a bit hazy as to what specifically it was.

A few years is an understatement.
Something like this has been simmering for years ... just waiting to happen.
Well now it has and who's to blame?
There's two sides to every story and this one wont have a happy ending for the bit o red. I guess we'll learn tomprrow night that we have been deducted the six points and to be honest I'd say rightly so. What would we as Rovers supporters be saying if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Cobh, Dublin, Galway or whoever was in this situation? The thing is we played an illegal player and we should be punished. It's no one's fault from outside the club and that most certainly includes anyone associated with Yeats or the Sligo/Leitrim FA. The blame lies with our club secretary and if as I'd expect we lose the six points then the secretary should do the honourable thing and resign. A loss of six points will be hard on us but it's not beyond us to carry on the great fight for promotion. The team/squad are good enough so just let us believe that we can do it.

Soper
17/04/2005, 9:57 PM
A few years is an understatement.
Something like this has been simmering for years ... just waiting to happen.
Well now it has and who's to blame?
There's two sides to every story and this one wont have a happy ending for the bit o red. I guess we'll learn tomprrow night that we have been deducted the six points and to be honest I'd say rightly so. What would we as Rovers supporters be saying if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Cobh, Dublin, Galway or whoever was in this situation? The thing is we played an illegal player and we should be punished. It's no one's fault from outside the club and that most certainly includes anyone associated with Yeats or the Sligo/Leitrim FA. The blame lies with our club secretary and if as I'd expect we lose the six points then the secretary should do the honourable thing and resign. A loss of six points will be hard on us but it's not beyond us to carry on the great fight for promotion. The team/squad are good enough so just let us believe that we can do it.
haha, i did mean a few years before i moved from sligo...been a long time.

wexford boy
18/04/2005, 11:12 AM
Maybe you know something since i was told that on friday night.But honest to god thats what i was told by a top source in the fai. best of luck anyway.

Redzer
19/04/2005, 9:38 AM
Todays Star Newspaper, says no decision until next weeks League Board of Control meeting. Speculation last night was rife that a deduction of points would not be handed out.

sligoman
19/04/2005, 11:26 AM
It's a disgrace. How come it has'nt been updated?. They should be letting the fans know what's going on and that we might have 6 points taking off us. Anyone that does'nt visit this site(foot.ie) might'nt have heard about this. www.sligorovers.com should be the first place to find out whats going on with this situation and then let us, the fans, know. We should'nt have to be reading the star or other newspapers or even looking at foot.ie where some members say we're going to lose the points and others say we are not. We all seem to have different versions of this story, whereas the club should be finding out whats going on and then letting us know, straight away. For instance, if you look at the Rovers website now it does'nt even mention anything about a possible points deduction, it's last entry is a match report from the Cobh game. It looks like everything is grand and we're joint top with nothing to worry about. Anyone agree?

McSligo
19/04/2005, 11:45 AM
I totally agree with you Sligoman, but is it not typical of the club we love so well?? The Knights of the Round Table with their dark age management style will always keep the foot solders in the dark……..especially if accountability is sought.

Ash
19/04/2005, 12:00 PM
Theres another thread about this in another section but
(I know I dont know the full facts, but from what Ive read) I reckon the
blame should be with the SRFC committee/secretary and also Sean F himself.

Surely he knew himself that he was registered with Yeats.

Also, as he's a Sligo lad who played with ye before I would have thought that
the board would have known that he was back kicking ball in Sligo and therefore
registered with a club!

We had a similiar thing happen where a player joined a local side in the off
season. There was talk of him coming back to the squad for this season but
the rules were there to prevent this so he stayed put.

Redzer
19/04/2005, 12:31 PM
The points deduction is still speculation, and until it is confirmed one way or the other I dont believe the club can make any statment.Anyone following the club closely knows for weeks that there is a problem about S.F's. registeration.
I dont think it would be a wise move for the club to issue a statment saying we might lose points, and it turns out not to be the case.
It's also possible an appeal might be lodged. We have to wait and hope it dosn't happen. When a decision is made I hope the club will make a full statment.

sligoman
19/04/2005, 1:06 PM
The points deduction is still speculation, and until it is confirmed one way or the other I dont believe the club can make any statment.Anyone following the club closely knows for weeks that there is a problem about S.F's. registeration.
I dont think it would be a wise move for the club to issue a statment saying we might lose points, and it turns out not to be the case.
It's also possible an appeal might be lodged. We have to wait and hope it dosn't happen. When a decision is made I hope the club will make a full statment.

I agree with you about the points deduction been speculation but the club should at least come out and say what Sean Connor is doing about it, for example, is he meeting the league in Dublin to discuss the situation?, When is this meeting going to take place?, when will we the final decision be made? etc. etc. But the way it is at the moment, the fans are just been kept in the dark over it and it's not right, after all without loyal fans, their would be no Sligo Rovers.

sligoman
19/04/2005, 1:26 PM
A very good and constructive meeting was held between the club and the supporters trust last night.

There was a meeting yesterday in Dublin. This meeting I believe was recovened this morning.

The full account of last nights meeting will be available on the trust website, this evening. The club and trust will now be in regular contact as both sides look to bridge a gap between the club and it's supporters. I'll post when the site is updated.

Well at least someone is letting us know. Thanks Gary!

sligoman
19/04/2005, 1:34 PM
Just to clarify. The account is of the meeting between the club and the trust and has nothing to do with the meetings in Dublin re: flannery registration.

Apologies if this caused any misconception.

I know. But I was just saying at least you and the trust are actually doing something and letting the fans know about it

Paraic
19/04/2005, 2:27 PM
Sligoman

I think that redzers right, the club isn't going to issue a statment unitl the situation has sorted itself out and as moderator of the official site, I can't put anything up there until i get somehting official. I'm not going to publish speculation,and I doubt if the club want to comment publicly until the situation has resolved itself with the League.

What I do know is that the club and related parties met the league last night, but there's no indication at this point as to when the matter will be resolved.

on a general point in relation to keeping the site up to date, there maybe delays from time to time due to my own commitments. There's no way of avoiding it as i'm the only person who maintains the site. also, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to maintain the site beyond this season but I'll be sending out a search for help in the coming weeks and months so hopefully the service will continue beond this season.

Paraic

It's a disgrace. How come it has'nt been updated?. They should be letting the fans know what's going on and that we might have 6 points taking off us. Anyone that does'nt visit this site(foot.ie) might'nt have heard about this. www.sligorovers.com should be the first place to find out whats going on with this situation and then let us, the fans, know. We should'nt have to be reading the star or other newspapers or even looking at foot.ie where some members say we're going to lose the points and others say we are not. We all seem to have different versions of this story, whereas the club should be finding out whats going on and then letting us know, straight away. For instance, if you look at the Rovers website now it does'nt even mention anything about a possible points deduction, it's last entry is a match report from the Cobh game. It looks like everything is grand and we're joint top with nothing to worry about. Anyone agree?

sligoman
19/04/2005, 2:43 PM
What I do know is that the club and related parties met the league last night, but there's no indication at this point as to when the matter will be resolved.

I know you are the official mod for the site and I'm sorry for criticising you Paraic but I would just like to hear about the situation from the club even if it's not settled yet. See, what you said above, how were we meant to find out about that unless it's on the site or papers?

Paraic
19/04/2005, 4:38 PM
sligoman

i can totally understand your frustration, but in the absense of more concrete information, I thinks it's better hold off until the thing has sorted itself out before publishing. And don't worry, i don't mind the criticism, it keeps me on my toes !

sligoman
20/04/2005, 11:23 AM
Representatives of Sligo Rovers have met officials of the eircom League in Dublin on Monday to discuss a possible discrepancy in the registration of one of Sligo’s players – with the possibility that the club could be docked points if the indiscretion is proven.

The concern surrounds the registration of striker Sean Flannery, who played the first two games of Sligo’s First Division campaign last month.

It was subsequently revealed that Flannery had been registered to play for local junior side Yeats United – and as such would not have been eligible to play for Sligo Rovers until the beginning of July.

Sligo delegates travelled to the capital on Monday to hold talks with league officials, and no decision has yet been reached on the situation.

Sligo are currently joint-top of the First Division table after an unbeaten start to the season, but a possible points deduction – which would amount to a six-point penalty, three points for each match in which the ineligible player was involved – would see them drop into the bottom half of the table.

Got it from here:http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16962

showgies
20/04/2005, 3:21 PM
In eveidence, Rovers should show the FAI TV footage of the two games in question, and although Flannery was on the pitch I am sure Camera Evidence will prove that he didn't actually PLAY :D :D

dublinred
27/04/2005, 2:37 PM
Any updates from todays meeting , does that fact that we got a meeting signal some hope ?

raginrover
28/04/2005, 9:18 AM
Heard this morning that the matter has been droped no fine no points lost nothing, now back to the real buisness,happy days :D :D

joey B
28/04/2005, 9:30 AM
So you welcomed back the man you chanted Judas at a few years ago :rolleyes:

Redzer
28/04/2005, 10:55 AM
So you welcomed back the man you chanterd Judas at a few years ago :rolleyes:

Yes we chanted "Judas"
I think it went something like; Sean Flannery Judas a favour and come back.

driver
28/04/2005, 10:58 AM
Yet again the league are bringing the game into disrepute. They have a rule book, which they seem to throw away at times just in case they will generate some controversary. Why have a rule book if you are not going to use it. It would be different if no rules were broken on Flannerys registration, but this was not the case. So why oh why did the league even need an investigation into the matter, which was admitted by all, and why did the league administration decide not to punish the club as set out in the rule book.

Its about time the League, Clubs and FAI took responsibility for what they are trying to run, a professional sport and entertainment for the fans, With this kind of inconsistancy and "but it really wasn't my fault" attitude does nothing to bring in more fans into the game.

Look at it this way, if Sligo lost six points as per the rule book, then, That would be the same as all other clubs gaining 6 points relative to Sligo. This decision in effect is the same as penalising all other clubs this 6 point advantage, for something they definately had nothing to do with.

I am not posting this just because it was sligo, if it was Kildare I would feel the same way. Rules are rules.

Da Real Rover
28/04/2005, 11:23 AM
Driver you come across as one of those people who'd be calling a situation like this 'A BIT IRISH'. You should understand that there can be exceptions to the rule and since there was the proper legislative system, whats the problem.

Da Real Rover
28/04/2005, 11:26 AM
So you welcomed back the man you chanted Judas at a few years ago :rolleyes:
Believe me you can have that donkey back.Looks like your missing him in the lofty heights of bottom of the division. ;)

driver
28/04/2005, 11:47 AM
and since there was the proper legislative system, whats the problem.

what i mean is, that it is hard enough to get new fans to follow the sport and go to matches in ireland. A lot of the publicity that the league gets relates to things been swept under the carpet, licensing criteria, player registration, financial problems etc. No matter what "legislative system" you have in place Irish football will always appear to be run like a Micky Mouse Club to those potential new fans we are trying to get in the gates, once rules are broken and the stated punishment not given.

Its about time Soccer took itself seriously and was run properly. This to me is the only way forward. At the moment there is no consistancy and this judgement leaves the door open for clubs the abuse the registration system. What (in my mind) would be much more beneficial for all, is that the rules be followed, with no possibility of let offs. Then there would be full transparency and clubs would know what to expect if they flouted regulations.

Clubs would also be a lot more careful and take their work much more seriously.

Da Real Rover
28/04/2005, 1:17 PM
I'd agree with most of that but i dont agree that the problem with irish football is that the laws are not inforced. If irish football is going to atract fans it needs to sort out alot more than just the way rules are applied. Frankly i think that football enthusiasts are just to lazy to go to there local games. They rather the hype and glamour associated with the english game and while creating the premier league in england it has killed off alot of its true dedicated fans. And in Flannerys case maybe there was a reason to why he was ineligable to play. Maybe there was a sufficient excuse, so as to explain the situation.

garykelly
28/04/2005, 1:27 PM
what i mean is, that it is hard enough to get new fans to follow the sport and go to matches in ireland. A lot of the publicity that the league gets relates to things been swept under the carpet, licensing criteria, player registration, financial problems etc. No matter what "legislative system" you have in place Irish football will always appear to be run like a Micky Mouse Club to those potential new fans we are trying to get in the gates, once rules are broken and the stated punishment not given.

Its about time Soccer took itself seriously and was run properly. This to me is the only way forward. At the moment there is no consistancy and this judgement leaves the door open for clubs the abuse the registration system. What (in my mind) would be much more beneficial for all, is that the rules be followed, with no possibility of let offs. Then there would be full transparency and clubs would know what to expect if they flouted regulations.

Clubs would also be a lot more careful and take their work much more seriously.

I agree with most content of your post but your posts assume Sligo Rovers should have been deducted 6 points as punishment for breaking rules. AFAIK Sligo Rovers did not break the rules with flannerys registration. I believe it was more an issue of a problem at sligo/leitrim level (junior soccer) and the club are not to blame. I accept your aggrieved. Any team would be who had a chance to get back into the promotion race on a technicality.

shedhead
28/04/2005, 3:23 PM
Phew, now lets get on with winning the league

Petmuller
28/04/2005, 4:08 PM
What's seems to have gone amiss in this debate is the fact that there are two clubs involved, ie, Rovers and Yeats United. Blame has been pointed mostly in the direction of the Sligo/Leitrim district league and nothing has been discussed where Yeats United are in all this. Something I've heard and I'd like to hear other opinions or views on this is that it was Yeats United that raised the whole issue to begin with. The secretary of Yeats wrote a letter of protest to both Rovers and the Sligo/Leitrim league and both parties had to act accordingly. People have slatted a certain individual holding an office in the Sligo/Leitrim league and the truth is that he had no option but to get involved wants he received the letter from the Yeats United club. Whats has happened since is now left for the history books but what started out as a simple oversight on the part of the player had flared up out of all proportions because one individual jumped the gun and didn't handle the situation with the deliciously it deserved.
Now where does this all leave Yeats United and particularly the secretary?

Ringo
28/04/2005, 10:36 PM
lets get on and play football. I for one one rather see us get on and compete & may the best team win. Glad it was sorted out & we can all move on. We hope to be in a fight with yourselves at the end, best of luck ;)

sniffa
29/04/2005, 11:14 PM
If Flannery did sign for Yeats, as all seem to agree, then he is still registered to them.
If he then signed for Sligo, then that signing is illegal.
Now the arguement by Sligo seems to be putting the blame on someone in the Sligo/Leitrim League. Fair enough, if the Eircom League are willing to accept this.
But this doesn't change the fact that he is signed to Yeats.
So therefore he has once again made an illegal appearance for Sligo v Athlone.
If he is now officially a Sligo player where or what has happened to the original registration??????

sniffa
01/05/2005, 1:34 AM
end of story????.......you might like to think that.........but we don't think so...

And its not about points......you break the rules, you pay the dues...simple

Da Real Rover
01/05/2005, 9:42 AM
The league cleared us, so were out of the woods. Now if ye Galway fans spent half as much time focusing on your own team as you do with our team ye might be doing a bit better.