PDA

View Full Version : Donegal Celtic ??

Gerrit
17/04/2005, 2:32 AM
I noticed in the tables the first division has a team called Donegal Celtic. That almost sounds like a Republican team... (I don't mean a team being catholic, I mean a team on ROI soil)

Donegal is not in Northern Ireland, or is the region partly across the border ?

Or is Donegal Celtic a team from the ROI playing in the Northern Irish league ? (like Derry City playing on Northern soil but in the ROI league)

other than that: is Derry City the only team on the island playing across the border, or are there other (smaller/amateur) clubs from ROI playing in Northern leagues/from NI playing south of the border ??

This could be... I can imagine a small amateur club from Cavan would easier/cheaper travel in an amateur league of Portadown/Omagh region, while an amateur club from Derry may have it easier playing in a league of county Donegal...

In my native Belgium there is a similar example. The regio Meetjesland, which is north of Ghent and south of the Dutch border, has an amateur league in which plays 1 single Dutch team. This team is from a town 1 mile across the border, for them it is much easier and cheaper to play in this Belgian amateur league where the furthest away team is 20 miles, while in the Dutch league they'd have to travel over 100 miles regularly.

Maybe because of distances or other reasons there are a few teams on this island as well playing in a league on the other side of the border (other side from their perspective) ?

gspain
17/04/2005, 9:06 AM
They are from west Belfast and take their name from the local streets which are named after places in Donegal.

They are not a Republican club or a nationalist club. Like all other football clubs i9n Northern Ireland they don't have any political policies or procedures and they sign players from everywhere.

The majority of their fans are however presumably Catholic and nationalist.

onceahoop
17/04/2005, 9:15 PM
I think I read somewhere that there is a team along the border playing in another juristiction. Cavan or Monaghan I think.