PDA

View Full Version : Croke park opened to play soccer

ccfcgirl
16/04/2005, 4:24 PM
should be a bit more easier to get tickets

CollegeTillIDie
16/04/2005, 4:29 PM
A good move by the GAA and kudos to president Seán Kelly who managed to get the thing on the Clár in the first place this year. This simply means that if the pitch needs attention in Croke Park at some future point and they need somewhere to play a mickey-mouse match by their standards like say the National League finals, they now will have the option of asking the FAI/IRFU for permission to use Lansdowne Road to call in the favour so to speak. ;)

DonO'Bate
16/04/2005, 4:30 PM
It think it will be a while before this happens but at least it's a step in the right direction. Having said that some of the so called Irish soccer supporters would find their way quicker to Old Trafford, Anfield and the Millenium Stadium before Jones' Road.

CollegeTillIDie
16/04/2005, 4:31 PM
True. Jones's Road is close to Tolka Park and most of them never find their way there. :(

harry crumb
16/04/2005, 4:51 PM
I think it was the right to do while rugby and soccer are in the lurch.

Anto McC
16/04/2005, 4:58 PM
True. Jones's Road is close to Tolka Park and most of them never find their way there. :(

No thats the because of the mass exdous to belfield every second week,I've seen it they go in their two's and three's and for the big fixtures you might be lucky to see five go together. :D

4tothefloor
16/04/2005, 8:36 PM
Ya it's good news, but the FAI should only use it when they really need it, i.e. during the rebuilding of LR. I have my reservations about Croke Park, which are mainly

The atmosphere there is, well, catastrophic! Partly due to the fact that it gets lost due to the openess of the hill 16 end.
The atmosphere will be made even worse because the soccer pitch will be miles away from the crowd, both at the sides and at the back of the goal.
The benches will be a ridiculous distance away from the action
The pitch is ****
The ground is in one of the dirtiest places in the world

Apart from that it's grand :D I for one do not want to see the French game played there - lets not shoot ourselves in the foot just when we're going well....

TonyD
16/04/2005, 8:51 PM
I have a sneaking feeling that this is far from a done deal yet. The principle has been agreed, but the fine detail might be another matter. One of the GAA bigwigs from the North was on the news the other night talking about charging the FAI or the IRFU €1-2 Million per game :eek: for the use of Croker. Hard to see that happening, but if you're loking for a reason behind the 'generosity' of the GAA vote, there it is in a nutshell.

Anto McC
16/04/2005, 8:59 PM
The atmosphere there is, well, catastrophic! Partly due to the fact that it gets lost due to the openess of the hill 16 end.
The atmosphere will be made even worse because the soccer pitch will be miles away from the crowd, both at the sides and at the back of the goal.
The benches will be a ridiculous distance away from the action
The pitch is ****
The ground is in one of the dirtiest places in the world

The atmosphere in croker is fantastic just cause youv'e had nothing to cheer there in years.In regard to the ground being in one of the dirtiest places in the world as you put it HA HA HA!!! This from a limerick man,seriously don't make me laugh.

4tothefloor
16/04/2005, 9:13 PM
The atmosphere in croker is fantastic just cause youv'e had nothing to cheer there in years.In regard to the ground being in one of the dirtiest places in the world as you put it HA HA HA!!! This from a limerick man,seriously don't make me laugh.

I've been there a few times, both at a Limerick game and as a neutral, and the atmosphere on each occasion was poor. Then again the atmosphere at GAA games can be poor anyway, apart from random farmers jumping up with clenched fists roaring "PULL"...... :D

As for the Limerick jibe, we keep our quays\rivers\waters clean down this way. We don't use them for dumping rubbish, shopping trollys, or foreign nationals. We don't have junkies roaming around the place either. I'm sure the French fans will love that if they get the chance to visit it........

iceman
16/04/2005, 10:12 PM
Lets remember , Croke Park has no floodlights , and UEFA insist that the last round of group matches all be played at the same time , for obvious reasons , so in that situation we may still have to travel to Cardiff for that fixture.

AFAIK the wiring was put in place during construction in Croke Park for future floodlighting but there were objections from the nearby residents to evening matches so the lighting was scrapped.

CollegeTillIDie
16/04/2005, 11:26 PM
No thats the because of the mass exdous to belfield every second week,I've seen it they go in their two's and three's and for the big fixtures you might be lucky to see five go together. :D
Ah you have not seen these mutants from the Planet Fickle I take it then :D

JC_GUFC
16/04/2005, 11:31 PM
It think it will be a while before this happens but at least it's a step in the right direction. Having said that some of the so called Irish soccer supporters would find their way quicker to Old Trafford, Anfield and the Millenium Stadium before Jones' Road.

Or even Craven Cottage!

Seriously it's great news for all sport in this country that sports aren't rivals but can co-exist!

Anto McC
16/04/2005, 11:57 PM
Then again the atmosphere at GAA games can be poor anyway.

As for the Limerick jibe, we keep our quays\rivers\waters clean down this way. We don't use them for dumping rubbish, shopping trollys, or foreign nationals. We don't have junkies roaming around the place either. I'm sure the French fans will love that if they get the chance to visit it........

It's true that the atmosphere at the GAA games can be poor so when the soccer crowd get in there you'll see the real way it holds a good atmosphere

You wouldn't dare throw a shopping trolly in a river in limerick,sure you can get a euro back on that Cheap c**nts.Btw what foreign nationals are in limerick not even the al-quieda are that stupid also that fued thats there sure thats only a little misunderstanding nothing to do with drugs or in turn then junkies,lets be honest somebodys down there is buying them.

Anto McC
16/04/2005, 11:59 PM
Then again the atmosphere at GAA games can be poor anyway.

It's true that the atmosphere at the GAA games can be poor so when the soccer crowd get in there you'll see the real way it holds a good atmosphere

You wouldn't dare throw a shopping trolly in a river in limerick,sure you can get a euro back on that,Cheap c**nts.Btw what foreign nationals are in limerick not even the al-quieda are that stupid also that fued thats there sure thats only a little misunderstanding nothing to do with drugs or in turn then junkies,lets be honest somebody down there is buying them.

sligoman
16/04/2005, 11:59 PM
Any news on when we'll actually start playing there? (Rugby and Soccer)

CollegeTillIDie
17/04/2005, 8:20 AM

With the style of football the Reds play, the success you guys have, and the quality of your stadium, D2 Red, your average crowds should be as high as Cork City's... to be honest, and they're not! :rolleyes:

Having said that I don't think it is Shelbourne F.C.'s fault at all really.
It's just that the Dubliners are a lazy shower of b*st*rds and I doubt that any team regardless of the level of success could draw huge crowds on a consistent basis!

Poor Student
17/04/2005, 10:32 AM
Does anyone have any idea where the FAI Cup final will be held in this period? Dayler? Or what if we have a Shels v Deportivo type event? Is it tough luck on the club?

thejollyrodger
17/04/2005, 10:55 AM
Soccer dimensions nearly extend the whole length and width of croker. i think the only problem is that the goals are 15meters from the nearest supporters.

There was a thread about this somewhere else. The GAA are making improvements on the pitch so hopefully it will be to a high enough standard for soccer. The stadium will really be suited to rugby. all that width and being able to use hill 16.

Anto McC
17/04/2005, 11:07 AM
With the style of football the Reds play, the success you guys have, and the quality of your stadium, D2 Red, your average crowds should be as high as Cork City's... to be honest, and they're not! :rolleyes:

Having said that I don't think it is Shelbourne F.C.'s fault at all really.
It's just that the Dubliners are a lazy shower of b*st*rds and I doubt that any team regardless of the level of success could draw huge crowds on a consistent basis!

Couldn't agree more with what you said and the fact that the few who do bother are spread mainly amongst(no disrespect to U.C.D. or Dublin city) Dublins big 4(Shels,Bohs,Pats and Rovers) Doesn't help.

4tothefloor
17/04/2005, 1:50 PM
You wouldn't dare throw a shopping trolly in a river in limerick,sure you can get a euro back on that,Cheap c**nts.Btw what foreign nationals are in limerick not even the al-quieda are that stupid also that fued thats there sure thats only a little misunderstanding nothing to do with drugs or in turn then junkies,lets be honest somebody down there is buying them.

Great arguement there :rolleyes: I won't even bother picking holes in it, there's so many......

gspain
18/04/2005, 8:08 AM
Lets remember , Croke Park has no floodlights , and UEFA insist that the last round of group matches all be played at the same time , for obvious reasons , so in that situation we may still have to travel to Cardiff for that fixture.

AFAIK the wiring was put in place during construction in Croke Park for future floodlighting but there were objections from the nearby residents to evening matches so the lighting was scrapped.

November 89 - we played Malta on a wednesday afternoon no lights. Spain had to play Hungary on a wednesday afternoon in Seville.

Word is though the GAA will get the government to pay for the lights.

pete
18/04/2005, 9:07 AM
Apparently Lansdowne costs €500k to rent for internationals which would need 12,500 attendance to break even before all other costs are invloved for bucket seats, security etc...

If GAA going to charge €2m would mean need 40,000 seats @ €50 to break even.

:rolleyes:

The FAI wisely won't commit itself to using Croke Park as they need to have good bargaining position.

observer
18/04/2005, 11:13 AM
Do the math Pete. Landsdowne Road 35,000 @ €50 = €1,750,000, less €500,000 fee = €1,250,000.
Croke park 70,000 €50 = €3,500,000, less €2,000,000 = €1,500,000.
An increased take of €250,000 + 35,000 extra happy supporters.
It is only natural that the negative spins will start coming from the banks of the Lee where good old Frank and Con Murphy's power mad bigotry stopped the GAA clubs having a democratic say. Now its the turn of those who sold Flower Lodge to criticise any attempts at co-operation between sporting
codes. I sincerely hope that the Dinny Allens and Dave Barry's join with the Jimmy Barry Murphy's to lead a movement to oust the GAA bigots from power. Hopefully there are not to many Pete's on this side to bother worrying about. :ball:

monutdfc
18/04/2005, 12:13 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that the FAI pay the IRFU 200k per game in Lansdowne.

Anyway, the Dublin Chamber of Commerce/Licensed Vintners Association should pay the rent, they're the ones that will gain the most out of games not going abroad.

From rte.ie:

The Dublin economy stood to lose over €90m during 2006-2008 if Ireland's soccer and rugby home internationals were switched to overseas stadia, according to Dublin Chamber research.

'Economic impact studies have shown that large sports events generate significant revenues for the local and national economy. In the case of large international sporting fixtures, revenues in excess of €10m per event from out-of-state visitors are typical. This sustains more than 300 jobs a year per event,' says Gina Quin, Dublin Chamber of Commerce's CEO.

Comic Book Guy
19/04/2005, 7:54 PM
I know this is a bit late to be saying this, but did anyone see the RTE news on Sunday evening, the reporter did a vox pop on the crowd at a hurling match getting the opinions of those there, most were in favour of it,but one individual said he would not have them near the car park of Croke Park.
All well and good you might say, but what was he wearing? Why it was a Celtic hat :rolleyes:
It was the second such piece of hypocrisy I witnessed on the issue, Saturday evening at work a known GAA fan on hearing the news said it was the worst day of his life!!
Fair enough I thought, I guess he's entitled to his view, except when he was driving home I noticed a sticker on the back of his car that said, '' Follow me and Leeds United'' :rolleyes:
I wonder what a foreigner would make of it all?

Kerry Blue
20/04/2005, 4:15 AM
Any news on when we'll actually start playing there? (Rugby and Soccer)
Seems like it will be quite some time yet. Probably in 2007 for the qualifiers for Euro 2008. There hasn't been an application for planning permission for the redevelopment of Lansdowne yet, so you're looking at at least two years before any work would begin and the ground closing.