49 MLT 7.708 24
50 SMR 7.680 17
51 AND 7.670 13
52 LUX 7.508 20

Print » e-mail »
©uefa.com 1998-2005. All rights reserved

pineapple stu
16/04/2005, 1:47 PM
Is that final? No European football for Drogheda so? Seems too big a gap to make up over a month or two even if that's the time left.

Italy are ahead of other countries! :eek:

Troy.McClure
16/04/2005, 2:02 PM
I think its only a progress report thingy. See uefa.com for more info.

Gerrit
16/04/2005, 4:56 PM
As a Norway and Rosenborg fan I'm quite pleased with this, even though Rosenborg doesn't need this of course as our Champions League ticket is assured yet ;)

Good news yet for the Norwegian football in general.

higgins
17/04/2005, 1:09 AM
Having Norway Swedena nd Denmark up the top of that table is very very bad news for Cork!

As far as I can tell they will be part of the Northern Section in the 1st QR of the UEFA Cup. All sides from these countries will carry a higher coefficient then Cork and will be seeded. A your just about seeded if they remain at the top of the list you could find yourself UNSEEDED :(

Even worse is that you may find youself drawn against them and they would probably be fairly strong...

Gerrit
17/04/2005, 1:34 AM
Norwegian league is quite low-level apart from Rosenborg and maybe Valerenga and Tromso if they manage to continue on last season's way.

I can see Cork compete with e.g. Brann Bergen or Bodo/Glimmt without too much problems. Not sure of the level in sweden and Denmark, my interest is mainly Rosenborg and the Norwegian league :)

Gerrit
17/04/2005, 1:37 AM
By the way, why are those smaller countries not in the running for the extra European spots ?
What if the fairest team would come from Luxembourg or Andorra ?? It seems the UEFA once again discriminates the small countries/leagues, like we're used from them :mad:

I can understand Liechtenstein is not included because they don't have the league (the 7 clubs in Liechtenstein all play in the Swiss leagues) but San Marino, Luxembourg, Andorra, Faroe Islands, and Malta all have leagues !
Why the heck does UEFA discriminate these countries ??

higgins
17/04/2005, 2:28 AM
I think Viking will be the team from Norway if they get the spot. Not a team that you would really fear but for the 1st round in the UEFA Cup you would like to avoid as you also need to get some coefficient points along with a 2nd round spot...

Hammerby will be the Swedish team involved.

pete
17/04/2005, 11:40 AM
Having Norway Swedena nd Denmark up the top of that table is very very bad news for Cork!

As far as I can tell they will be part of the Northern Section in the 1st QR of the UEFA Cup. All sides from these countries will carry a higher coefficient then Cork and will be seeded. A your just about seeded if they remain at the top of the list you could find yourself UNSEEDED :(

Even worse is that you may find youself drawn against them and they would probably be fairly strong...

We've already beaten Malmo home & away last year who went on to win the Swedish Championship so how good could those lesser clubs be ;)

Could mean expensive trip again though.

pineapple stu
17/04/2005, 6:38 PM
By the way, why are those smaller countries not in the running for the extra European spots ?
What if the fairest team would come from Luxembourg or Andorra??
It says tha national associations have to have 25 games. The countries above are probably excluded by virtue of not having an U-21 team or something like that - probably seen as easier to reach the 8 average if you play fewer games, I suppose. Other than that, I don't know though.

higgins
18/04/2005, 10:02 AM
The fact that you beat Malmo means nothing. The Swedish league is stronger then ours. You may have a decent chance against Viking or the Danes or Swedes but they would be favourite. Having beat Malmo and got yourselves noticed might actually be a bad thing.

You should hope countries from the Northern section dont get the Fair Play spots as you would then be unseeded.

If you can hang on to a seeded spot your laughing. You have 2 welsh teams and 2 Northern Irish teams in the unseeded half. Thats a 4 in 10 chance of getting a side you could easily beat home and away as they wont have started their leagues and even if they had you would probably win anyway.

The early rounds in the UEFA cup gives us our best chances of progressing and increasing our coefficient.

I know who Id like to play between Viking and Rhyl :rolleyes:

paudie
18/04/2005, 12:18 PM
We'd be hoping that clubs from Denmark/Sweden don't get drawn for the Fair Play places as this might push us into the unseeded pot in the UEFA cup prelim round.

Schumi
18/04/2005, 2:20 PM
We'd be hoping that clubs from Denmark/Sweden don't get drawn for the Fair Play places as this might push us into the unseeded pot in the UEFA cup prelim round.
Fair play teams go into the first round proper don't they? Cork would hardly be seeded in that.

pete
19/04/2005, 8:55 PM
Fair play teams go into the first round proper don't they? Cork would hardly be seeded in that.

I think you may be correct there.

Who have irish teams got drawn in UEFA preliminarys in recent years? Longford got Liechenstiners, Bulgarians. Bohs got Latvians?

Longfordian
20/04/2005, 12:07 AM

Didn't Man City get in this way recently? Played TNS or someone like that..thought that was the preliminary round..before they got knocked out by some Euro giants from Poland in the next round?. Could be mixed up as regards rounds but I'm sure someone can tell us on here?!.

gspain
20/04/2005, 8:04 AM
If you can hang on to a seeded spot your laughing. You have 2 welsh teams and 2 Northern Irish teams in the unseeded half. Thats a 4 in 10 chance of getting a side you could easily beat home and away as they wont have started their leagues and even if they had you would probably win anyway.

:

Just like the LoI sides are doing to the IL sides in the Setanta Cup. :confused:

higgins
20/04/2005, 9:40 AM
Just like the LoI sides are doing to the IL sides in the Setanta Cup.

Its fairly clear to see that Cork are better then any of the 3 sides from the North in the Setanta Cup... Have you not watched the games? Early season bad form caused Shels to slip up against Portadown and it was only because of a very bad game for Cork that they failed to beat them too. Shels and Cork played very poor and still drew and looked like winning... Only Longford against Glentoran deserved to lose but Im talking about Cork here..

Cork would easily win in Europe against Portadown or Glentoran. Shels would beat Linfield and Longford would have a 50/50 chance.

Did you not see the muck they produced between them last night? Defending was rubbish...... You should give up if you cant beat that...

paudie
20/04/2005, 11:49 AM
Didn't Man City get in this way recently? Played TNS or someone like that..thought that was the preliminary round..before they got knocked out by some Euro giants from Poland in the next round?. Could be mixed up as regards rounds but I'm sure someone can tell us on here?!.

You're right I think. Man City played TNS, which must have been in the Preliminary Round.

Therefore the Fair Play teams seem to go into Prelim Round even if their country's ranking would get them into the First Round.

Therefore the identity of the Fair Play teams are important to whether City are seeded or not.

paudie
20/04/2005, 11:53 AM

Only the country at the top of the Fair play league gets an automatic UEFA Cup place.

Then 2 countries are drawn from the next 10 or something.

At the moment it doesn't look good for City as a lot of the teams high up in the table are:

1. From Nortern Europe
2. Have better coefficients than us.

Hopefully Estonia will be one of the chosen two.

pete
20/04/2005, 12:05 PM
Last year Longford took the eL country ranking points of something like 1.034 & sneaked in as seeded team. Next season Longford & Cork City will use eL country ranking points of 1.334 which might lead to better chance of keeping seeding.

higgins
20/04/2005, 4:30 PM
Last season Longford got very lucky and to even up the seeds v unseeds they were bumped up into the seeded half... They then failed to beat one of the worst teams ever in a UEFA Cup game (But thats another story)...

This season its almost certain that the northern section will be filled with another team from the automatic Fair Play place.

If this happens Cork and Longford will be the bottom two in the seeds. If another team from a country above 8.000 is chosen and they are also in the Northern section then Cork become unseeded. It would probably take all 3 Fair Play teams to knock Longford out of the seeding ..........

Of course if UEFA dont put FC Vaduz in the Northern section then it will have an effect and 2 Northern Fair Play teams will knock Cork and Longford into unseeds...

LOST ANYONE YET!!! :D

By the way
I tried to explain this point last season (along with Cork fans and other decent EL fans) before Shels played Lille that it was vital Shels got some points as Cork and Longford, or whoever at the time, were 100% unseeded. The draw with Lille gave us the current situation of hovering between the seeds and unseeds. It was a fantastic point for the EL as its changed Shels Cork and Longford from unseeded to seeds overnight (of course Bohs had already added to it in previous years). You still had the short sighted morons on here hoping Shels lost and got hammered!! FOOLS!!!!!! :mad:

Sonic
20/04/2005, 8:04 PM
not surprised they are so far down el refs give cards for everything

pineapple stu
20/04/2005, 9:19 PM
You should give up if you can't beat that...
3-3 you drew at home, losing the lead twice, was it? Suppose you're going to give up...?! ;)

I presume you're referring back to your earlier mention that the IL teams would be out of season, but I really would wait until you start beating them easily to suggest that any eL team would beat them easily...

pineapple stu
20/04/2005, 9:22 PM
not surprised they are so far down el refs give cards for everything
I think only national games count for the UEFA rankings. The winning nation then puts forward its national club winner for the UEFA Cup spot. So the two different competitions are different.

paudie
21/04/2005, 9:26 AM
By the way
I tried to explain this point last season (along with Cork fans and other decent EL fans) before Shels played Lille that it was vital Shels got some points as Cork and Longford, or whoever at the time, were 100% unseeded. The draw with Lille gave us the current situation of hovering between the seeds and unseeds. It was a fantastic point for the EL as its changed Shels Cork and Longford from unseeded to seeds overnight (of course Bohs had already added to it in previous years). You still had the short sighted morons on here hoping Shels lost and got hammered!! FOOLS!!!!!! :mad:

NOT GUILTY :D

By the way vaduz are far from being the worst team ever in the UEFA Cup. From what I can remember they lost fairly narrowly to a Belgian team in the next round and are currently top of the Swiss 2nd division. Mostly full time players as well I think.

Hope I'm not mistaken for a Longford fan.

higgins
21/04/2005, 9:42 AM
Yeah they are a real powerhouse in Europe :rolleyes:
From their 20 games over the last 10 years or so they lost 14 and drew 6

Along come Longford and they have their first win ever in Europe.. Then they have their second !!! :eek:

That's not the point of this topic but apart from Longford, Cork and Shels should beat the IL teams very easily come the Champions League/UEFA. You can give the 3-3 result and claim Portadown are the exact same as Shelbourne but having seen all games so far there is a clear gap. If Shels were to play Portadown 10 times it might be something like 8 wins 1 draw a 1 defeat..

Sadly your cant judge something 100% in football so what I mean by Cork will beat them is that its a high possibility..

OneRedArmy
21/04/2005, 9:50 AM
Yeah they are a real powerhouse in Europe :rolleyes:
From their 20 games over the last 10 years or so they lost 14 and drew 6

Along come Longford and they have their first win ever in Europe.. Then they have their second !!! :eek:

That's not the point of this topic but apart from Longford, Cork and Shels should beat the IL teams very easily come the Champions League/UEFA. You can give the 3-3 result and claim Portadown are the exact same as Shelbourne but having seen all games so far there is a clear gap. If Shels were to play Portadown 10 times it might be something like 8 wins 1 draw a 1 defeat..

Sadly your cant judge something 100% in football so what I mean by Cork will beat them is that its a high possibility..

I know, lets stop playing each other altogether because I know Derry City are better than every other team. I don't care what the results say. We may have finished 7th last season but I know we were better than everyone else, honest.....

You're effectively arguing that results between two teams are a poor predictor of overall relative strength. Unfortunately for you, thats how League tables are constructed, an aggregation of results.

So based on your approach, if Portadown beat Shels up there that means you are due 8 wins on the bounce against them, because you're obviously the better team....... Absolute twisted logic.

Why use an indirect comparison such as coefficient when you have a direct comparison available, ie the bloody result when you played them!

pete
21/04/2005, 11:15 AM
I think IL sides would be at a serious disadvantage playing eL sides in the CL or UEFA Cup in July/August fitness wise.

paudie
21/04/2005, 4:20 PM

Can't see where you're getting the clear gap from.

From 4 inter league games so far there have been 2 draws and one win for each league.

I've seen all the inter league games and the standard seems fairly even to me.

Obviously IL teams would be at a disdvantage playing European games v EL teams in their offseason but not so much as to make it certain for the EL team to win.