PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 23rd March 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Kingdom
08/03/2019, 7:25 AM
I'd agree with that.

I'd be more interested to see what differences there are between Mick's Ireland and Martin's Ireland. We know we don't have much strength in depth these days - but the style of play under O'Neill was surely the biggest bone of contention.

Going to be hard to judge that against Gibraltar, with all respect to them, but still, I think it'll be the first real point of interest, not the new call-ups

Oneill's style of football was so out-dated, that regardless of the opposition we couldn't hold the ball. The USA youth team schooled us in Lansdowne.

pineapple stu
08/03/2019, 1:02 PM
Question actually - when was the last time we had an English fourth-tier player in a squad? Let's ignore questions as to whether Dutch second tier/LoI/Scottish second is equivalent

I can't think of any, but maybe one of those summer tours?

Eminence Grise
08/03/2019, 1:23 PM
Good question... I thought maybe Alan O'Brien - he won his 5 caps in 2006 and 2007 having spent 05/06 on loan with L2 Carlisle for part of that period, but he was back at Newcastle a few months before his debut. Would it have counted as he was technically with a higher club anyway? I don't recall anybody in the last 30+ years.

pineapple stu
08/03/2019, 1:34 PM
I think that would have counted, but yeah, as you say, his loan spell ended a few months before.

tetsujin1979
08/03/2019, 1:34 PM
Question actually - when was the last time we had an English fourth-tier player in a squad? Let's ignore questions as to whether Dutch second tier/LoI/Scottish second is equivalent

Callum O'Dowda in May 2016, he was still with Oxford in League Two at the time, and moved to Bristol City in the Championship two months later

zero
08/03/2019, 1:36 PM
hmm, tricky one. was David Forde called up when on loan to portsmouth? i think they were l2 at the time.

pineapple stu
08/03/2019, 1:41 PM
No on Forde I think; he joined Portsmouth after the Euros, but I don't think he made a squad again after being dropped after the Belarus friendly?

zero
08/03/2019, 1:44 PM
No on Forde I think; he joined Portsmouth after the Euros, but I don't think he made a squad again after being dropped after the Belarus friendly?

tets answered whilst i was mulling over. you're right on forde i'd say, didn't he get a bad injury around that time and gary rogers made the squad ...

DeLorean
08/03/2019, 1:57 PM
Callum O'Dowda in May 2016, he was still with Oxford in League Two at the time, and moved to Bristol City in the Championship two months later

Technically, Oxford were promoted to League One in May 2016 :o

gally
08/03/2019, 2:24 PM
Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Doherty
Browne Arter Hourihane
O'Dowda Maguire Robinson/Curtis

Olé Olé
08/03/2019, 2:30 PM
Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Doherty
Browne Arter Hourihane
O'Dowda Maguire Robinson/Curtis

That's actually a really good team.

DeNiro
08/03/2019, 3:47 PM

Peter Murphy from Carlisle? Didn't he get a cap on the 07 tour of the USA?

pineapple stu
08/03/2019, 4:02 PM
Yes - but they were third tier at the time. Newly-promoted, but just missed the play-offs

(Could be worth a split to another thread actually)

Razors left peg
08/03/2019, 6:17 PM

It should have been Grealish, if O'Neill had called him up for the US summer tour that year he was on loan he would never have switched

pineapple stu
08/03/2019, 6:32 PM
Jack Grealish? Never played fourth tier; he was on loan at Notts County in the third tier.

Razors left peg
08/03/2019, 6:37 PM
Jack Grealish? Never played fourth tier; he was on loan at Notts County in the third tier.

Fair enough, I thought Notts County were in League 2 at the time

Demesne Lad
08/03/2019, 7:04 PM
Hard to understand how McCarthy and Judge make the squad while Richie Towell, a regular starter in the Championship, doesn't.

gustavo
09/03/2019, 3:27 AM
I think Gerry Peyton was in the Fourth Division when he went to the World Cup incidentally

pineapple stu
09/03/2019, 7:40 AM
Nope; second tier. He was capped as a third-tier player, but not as a fourth-tier player

tetsujin1979
09/03/2019, 8:05 AM
I thought it might have been Cascarino, but he was with Gillingham in the old division three (ie league one) when he was called up

gally
09/03/2019, 11:21 AM
Scott Hogan starts upfront today with McGoldrick.

liamoo11
09/03/2019, 11:21 AM
Mcgoldrick and Hogan up top today for Sheffield utd could that be a partnership for us?

gally
09/03/2019, 11:30 AM
Mcgoldrick and Hogan up top today for Sheffield utd could that be a partnership for us?

Just beat you to it.

liamoo11
09/03/2019, 12:12 PM
Just beat you to it.

I was badly beaten for pace! They are a nice compo. I have always thought mcgoldrick's has been lazy for us especially that night when we beat Austria away when he cam on and lunged into a lazy tackle on halfway which lead to that last minute chance for ?janko who should have definitely scored.

If mcgoldrick is prepared to drop in and sit on the opposition's deep lying midfielder out of possession and press he does offer us definite variety and a bit of guile going forward

liamoo11
11/03/2019, 5:53 PM
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/scouting-report-curtis-continues-to-make-headway

These scouting reports seem really quaint I love them! These weren't on the fai site in Martin o neills time were they? Seems good news on long and Coleman. No mention of bamford this week strangely. Delighted judge been mentioned hope he makes squad having him as option off bench for creativity in the next 2 games wood be great

johnnyc
11/03/2019, 11:50 PM
Yeah, those reports remind me of old school Football Manager the way they are written. I love em.

Fixer82
13/03/2019, 10:45 PM
Alan Browne taken off after 22 minutes for Preston so can only assume he was injured. Not great timing for him

Closed Account
14/03/2019, 2:14 PM
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mccarthy-finalises-squad-for-gibraltar-georgia-games

McCarthy finalises squad for Gibraltar & Georgia games

Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy has selected a 23-man squad for the EURO 2020 Qualifiers against Gibraltar and Georgia.

Having initially named a provisional panel, McCarthy has whittled down the roster ahead of the players meeting up on Sunday, March 17 for the '3' FAI International Awards - which will be broadcast live on RTE2 from 20:30.
The squad will begin preparations for their opening Group D games on Monday, March 18 at FAI National Training Centre.
Tickets are still on sale for Mick McCarthy's first home game in his second spell as Ireland manager as Georgia come to visit on March 26.
(https://www.ticketmaster.ie/euro-2020-qualifier-republic-of-ireland-v-georgia-dublin-26-03-2019/event/1800562ED9945A93)
Republic of Ireland Squad
Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Mark Travers (Bournemouth)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Richard Keogh (Derby County), John Egan (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United)

Midfielders: Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Harry Arter (Cardiff City*), Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City)

Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town)*Indicates player is on loan

EURO 2020 Qualifiers
March 23: Gibraltar v Republic of Ireland
March 26: Republic of Ireland v Georgia
June 7: Denmark v Republic of Ireland
June 10: Republic of Ireland v Gibraltar
September 5: Republic of Ireland v Switzerland
October 12: Georgia v Republic of Ireland
October 15: Switzerland v Republic of Ireland
November 18: Republic of Ireland v Denmark

Interesting Ommissions
https://i.imgur.com/lNdVX2f.png

IsMiseSean
14/03/2019, 2:18 PM
Mick saying Browne & Curtis are likely to be replaced.

jbyrne
14/03/2019, 3:04 PM
am surprised that mcgeady has been left out. his club form has been very good and has the attributes required to create chances against the likes of our first two opponents.

backstothewall
14/03/2019, 5:26 PM
Kevin Long surprising on the face of it until you realise he hasn't been on a football pitch this year. Odd to announce the squad now if it's likely 2 of them will need to be replaced.

Only 6 defenders. Does that indicate Brady at left back?

samhaydenjr
14/03/2019, 11:01 PM
Mark Travers included to give us an extra attacking option from set pieces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUh9ucFoYv4

Fixer82
14/03/2019, 11:20 PM
Surprised at McGeady, Christie and Shaun Williams missing out.

Olé Olé
15/03/2019, 5:21 AM
Surprised at McGeady, Christie and Shaun Williams missing out.

Yeah, surprising enough but who would you pick them ahead of in terms of the defenders and midfielders there? Why have Christie in there as third choice right back to take a spot?

Closed Account
15/03/2019, 11:31 AM
Kevin Long and Josh Cullen have been called in to replace Ronan Curtis and Alan Browne

Olé Olé
15/03/2019, 11:32 AM
Kevin Long and Josh Cullen have been called in to replace Ronan Curtis and Alan Browne

A centre half and a midfielder for a striker and an attacking midfielder.

IsMiseSean
15/03/2019, 12:20 PM
A centre half and a midfielder for a striker and an attacking midfielder.

I think we needed another CB in the squad and it's good to see Cullen get some experience in and around the camp.

CraftyToePoke
15/03/2019, 1:12 PM

One of my gripes with the extended original squad was Cullen not being there. Not going to change our fortunes greatly, I realise, whichever of these lads plays but him Connell & maybe Coventry in a squad that size for their improvement potential, I would like to have seen.

Diggs246
15/03/2019, 1:32 PM
One of my gripes with the extended original squad was Cullen not being there. Not going to change our fortunes greatly, I realise, whichever of these lads plays but him Connell & maybe Coventry in a squad that size for their improvement potential, I would like to have seen.

Josh Cullen is a good player and we should be happy to have a good player involved

Kingdom
15/03/2019, 9:14 PM
Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Mark Travers (Bournemouth)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Richard Keogh (Derby County), John Egan (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United)

Midfielders: Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Harry Arter (Cardiff City*), Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City)

Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town)*Indicates player is on loan

EURO 2020 Qualifiers
March 23: Gibraltar v Republic of Ireland
March 26: Republic of Ireland v Georgia
]

I've got to be honest, I'm unimpressed. I think not having Shaun Williams in there is wrong.

I don't understand the Travers selection over Kelleher. It's a small thing, and I wouldn't put either of them in the match-day squad, but for me Kelleher's a monster.
If I was to pick 3 defenders in a squad, I wouldn't pick Richard Keogh as one of the 3. If I was only picking 3 defenders then I'd have Shaun Williams in the squad as a person who can cover both positions.
I think he's going to look at getting goals from midfield, and with Browne out I reckon he'll look at Hourihane.

Based on his preference for 4 at the back, and unlikely to go 2 up top, I'd say he's going to go with
Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, Hourihane, Arter, Brady, Hendrick, McGoldrick, and a toss-up between O'Dowda and McClean.

Fixer82
16/03/2019, 7:50 AM
Definitely Shaun Williams should be in there

Fizzer
16/03/2019, 4:06 PM
Cullen is a brilliant inclusion,two minutes against Gibraltar and its a future embarrassment avoided.Hope he doesn’t pick up a knock beforehand.More of this please

musicinmouth
16/03/2019, 6:33 PM
I think he will go for 4-4-1-1:

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Keogh - Stevens

Doherty - Whelan - Arter - O’Dowda

Maguire

McGoldrick

mark12345
16/03/2019, 11:52 PM
I think he will go for 4-4-1-1:

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Keogh - Stevens

Doherty - Whelan - Arter - O’Dowda

Maguire

McGoldrick

Quite a useful looking team, but what you see in Whelan is beyond me. What McCarthy sees in him is beyond everybody.

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2019, 2:08 AM
I don't understand the Travers selection over Kelleher. It's a small thing, and I wouldn't put either of them in the match-day squad, but for me Kelleher's a monster.
I don't think Travers has been selected over Kelleher, just that Kelleher will probably start for the 21s as he's a couple of years older than Bazunu. Travers has been selected over O'Hara, though, which seems a bit of a stranger call since O'Hara is playing regular football.

geysir
17/03/2019, 9:43 AM
According to Paul O'Hehir in the Irish Mirror (https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/matt-doherty-expects-mick-mccarthy-14141114) -
Matt Doherty said of Mick: “I think he’ll do things differently. I guess he has got to change the mood - and maybe get some more things to do.” Asked if McCarthy would make it fun, Doherty said: “Yes, maybe not as serious. More relaxed. Not as tense. As it was kind of like that at times."

triggsrevenge
18/03/2019, 3:01 AM
Shame O'Dowda is out given his form.

liamoo11
18/03/2019, 8:44 AM
Randolp

Coleman Duffy egan Doherty

Arter Hendrick

Brady
Maguire mcclean
Long

I'd like to see this side. Maguire plays wide for Preston so it's a familiar position for him and would allow him rotate with long.

still let's us have bodies on midfield so we have a chance to get on the ball and play. Brady has struggled in that advanced midfield position but without o dowda I'd go with him there and he gives us a set piece option.

Doherty to left full to try to make it his position ahead of Steven's. Gives him great option to come inside on his right and play into midfield instead of going long down the line like a left footer might be tempted to.

Kingdom
19/03/2019, 9:51 AM
We're probably both lucky and cursed that we've two games, and two winnable games in the first round of qualifying. If we were playing Gibraltar only, he could probably experiment a bit more, knowing the outcome is almost guaranteed. However with Georgia a few days later, and time on the training ground in short supply, it's unlikely that he's going to deviate hugely from one game to the other in terms of strategy, tactics or personnel.

backstothewall
19/03/2019, 10:42 AM
Shane Long has dropped out. Aiden O'Brien comes in to the squad.