View Full Version : League Cup 2019

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

pineapple stu
10/02/2019, 9:47 AM
The first round is in three weeks.

Any news when the draw is?

Mr A
10/02/2019, 8:48 PM
We will probably find out when we get an email with the completed draw!

Enruoblehs
14/02/2019, 9:26 AM
We will probably find out when we get an email with the completed draw!

Anyone know when the draw for the EA Sports Cup is due to take place?

The First Round due to take place on March 4th.

The following fixture due to take place this week -

Saturday, 16th February

EA SPORTS Cup Preliminary Round
Midleton v Bluebell United, Knockgriffin Park, 3pm

littlebray
14/02/2019, 10:22 AM
Bound to be at least one other prelim round or several First Round games - but no-one in Abbotstown will tell us until the LOI teams are involved (2nd Round).

pineapple stu
14/02/2019, 12:10 PM
Was there a preliminary round in previous years?

sidewayspasser
14/02/2019, 1:06 PM
No, there wasn't.
I think the need for a preliminary round results from the decision that the 10 PD clubs should get a bye into the 2nd round this year, as announced when the fixture list was released. So we have 10 clubs with byes into the 2nd round, as opposed to 8 in previous years.
The problem with that is now you need to get 6 clubs from the 1st round into the 2nd, but you have 14 contenders if the qualification to the League Cup works the same as in previous years (the 10 FD clubs + the winners of the MSL, LSL and USL + Mayo League). You have to get those 14 down to 12. The preliminary round match between Midleton and Bluebell eliminates one, and either you have another prelimiary round match between the USL winner (Cockhill, I assume?) and Mayo League, or Mayo League are ditched from the competition.

littlebray
17/02/2019, 12:21 PM
Fourteen teams = two preliminary matches leaving 12 teams, six matches in 1st Round. Simple. But what's the other Preliminary Round match? A state secret?

pineapple stu
17/02/2019, 12:41 PM
Bluebell United and Cockhill Celtic are the two non-league sides in the first round draw per Bluebell's Twitter.

They'll join the ten First Division sides in round 1, and the 6 winners will join the ten Premier sides in round 2, with a straight knock-out from there.

But some clubs have an away game tomorrow fortnight and don't know about it yet. Bit unfair on part-timers who need time off work

sidewayspasser
17/02/2019, 1:01 PM
Fourteen teams = two preliminary matches leaving 12 teams, six matches in 1st Round. Simple. But what's the other Preliminary Round match? A state secret?
I assume Mayo League haven't been invited this year, so one team less and hence only one preliminary match.

Shearer
18/02/2019, 9:03 AM
Bluebell won 1-0.
Eh we know

Mr A
20/02/2019, 12:22 PM
https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/ramblers-welcome-limerick-in-ea-sports-cup-first-round/id-2289

EA SPORTS Cup - First Round Draw

Athlone Town v Galway United
Bray Wanderers v Wexford
Cobh Ramblers v Limerick
Drogheda United v Cabinteely
Longford Town v Cockhill Celtic
Shelbourne v Bluebell United

All ties to take place on Monday, March 4 at 7.45pm.

Martinho II
20/02/2019, 6:19 PM
https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/ramblers-welcome-limerick-in-ea-sports-cup-first-round/id-2289

EA SPORTS Cup - First Round Draw

Athlone Town v Galway United
Bray Wanderers v Wexford
Cobh Ramblers v Limerick
Drogheda United v Cabinteely
Longford Town v Cockhill Celtic
Shelbourne v Bluebell United

All ties to take place on Monday, March 4 at 7.45pm.

is that league cup regionalised still in the early stages does anyone know?

Its rare that we play a team from outside Dublin in the early stages of the league cup! we met cockhill celtic in fai cup in buncrana a few years back!

Martinho II
20/02/2019, 6:22 PM
also we are playin drogs in league the previous saturday so i imagine the date would have to be changed with the league cup considering the rest period between matches?

nigel-harps1954
21/02/2019, 8:45 AM
It is regionalised yeah. Longford the closest side to Cockhill so no surprise there.

pineapple stu
21/02/2019, 11:43 AM
No second round draw yet? Used to be the two were done at the same time I thought.

Martinho II
21/02/2019, 8:24 PM
actually when i think about it more we are back to same regional listings as i remember us playing mervue utd in early stages of league cup in 2014 season!

Terry
05/03/2019, 7:09 AM
Athlone Town 1 – 2 Galway United
Bray Wanderers 3 – 2 Wexford Town
Drogheda United 0 – 1 Cabinteely
Shelbourne 1 – 0 Bluebell Utd

joey B
09/03/2019, 10:31 PM
No draw for the next round of this??

nigel-harps1954
10/03/2019, 2:16 PM
Second round due to be played the week of Monday 1st April.

marinobohs
11/03/2019, 10:06 AM
Second round due to be played the week of Monday 1st April. any particular year ;)

joey B
12/03/2019, 4:44 PM
EA Sports Cup 2nd round fixtures:

Bohemian v Cabinteely
Bray Wanderers v Shamrock Rovers
Cork City v Limerick/Cobh Ramblers
Derry City v Longford Town
Finn Harps v Sligo Rovers
Shelbourne v UCD
St Pat’s v Dundalk
Waterford v Galway Utd

All games to be played on 1st/2nd April

Martinho II
12/03/2019, 10:03 PM

Bohemian v Cabinteely
Shelbourne v UCD
St Pat’s v Dundalk
Waterford v Galway Utd

we are playing shels at home the prev sat so can see the derry game played on the tues altogether. think this is our first league cup meeting between the two sides since the 06 season!

Martinho II
12/03/2019, 10:34 PM

Bohemian v Cabinteely
Shelbourne v UCD
St Pat’s v Dundalk
Waterford v Galway Utd

is there a typo with derry city tie as online it has us as playing derry city at home?

joey B
12/03/2019, 11:07 PM
Derry definitely at home.

RathfarnhamHoop
18/03/2019, 12:03 PM
Monday, April 1

Waterford v Galway United, Regional Sports Centre, 7pm
Bohemians v Cabinteely, Dalymount Park, 7.45pm
Bray Wanderers v Shamrock Rovers, Carlisle Grounds, 7.45pm
Cork City v Cobh Ramblers or Limerick, Turner’s Cross, 7.45pm
St. Patrick’s Athletic v Dundalk, Richmond Park, 7.45pm
Finn Harps v Sligo Rovers, Finn Park, 8.00pm

Tuesday, April 2

Derry City v Longford Town, Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium, 7.45pm
Shelbourne v U.C.D., Tolka Park, 7.45pm

patrickccfc
18/03/2019, 4:22 PM
We will face Cobh after they beat Limerick 3-1 today. Aside from the Munster senior cup in pre-season, it's been a long time since we've met in a national competition.

nigel-harps1954
01/04/2019, 10:01 PM
So, this weird thing happened tonight. I can't really explain it.

Finn Harps won a game.

nigel-harps1954
01/04/2019, 10:47 PM
Coyles goal for Harps tonight 1-0.

nigel-harps1954
01/04/2019, 11:14 PM
Stephen Doherty from our under-19 squad made his debut and scored the winner tonight too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvQrIUyNx64

joey B
02/04/2019, 12:21 AM
Mostly poor game at Finn Park lit up by a stunning Mark Coyle strike,Sligo played a strong enough side Harps a little less so but peppered with a few first teamers and we more than deserved to win,Sligo do not look a happy group of players very techy and one absolutely awful challenge from Mahon that was a red card all day but only got a yellow for, he then offered a Harps fan out later on so not a great night for Rovers.

Breifne
02/04/2019, 2:48 AM
Poor game that only came to life in the last 5 minutes of normal time. Harps well worth the win in what was worryingly Sligo’s best attacking performance of the season so far in my opinion.

Along with Mahon, Leverock also very lucky to finish the game. Appeared to obviously handle the ball in the build up to the goal as well as that severe twitch in his neck, resulting in his head quickly moving towards a Harps player while jostling ahead of an attacking free kick.

As a Rovers fan I’m very worried for their chances of staying up this season. Think Harps will gather enough points to avoid the direct drop at their expenses.

desaintsno.12
02/04/2019, 7:11 AM
oh look , we lost again , to Dundalks C team

dong
02/04/2019, 12:50 PM
oh look , we lost again , to Dundalks C team
I know a good manager....

PartySaint
02/04/2019, 1:27 PM
I know a good manager....

We'll take him.

SkStu
02/04/2019, 1:46 PM
So, this weird thing happened tonight. I can't really explain it.

Finn Harps won a game.

Technically a draw after the 90. But i'm in a good mood this morning and will allow it.

pineapple stu
02/04/2019, 8:54 PM
So 8 Premier Division teams in the quarters. Just the two Rovers knocked out

sbgawa
02/04/2019, 10:29 PM
There's only 1 rovers :)

joey B
02/04/2019, 10:32 PM
Tuesday
Shelbourne 1-2 UCD (Tolka Park #209 - €10). EA Sports Cup.

''Cold way to end the trip, both in weather and welcome. Not a club I want to revisit. Not that bothered that they didn't issue a programme as I had half expected that, but they didn't bother with anything. No hot food at all, just got drinks of little quality and they couldn't even be bothered to offer me the chance to buy anything from their closed club shop. I had spent at least €20 at each of the other clubs but no interest from Shelbourne in selling me anything. Really poor attitude from their club officials so I was happy when UCD scored late in the game to go through 😀. They also spotted my message to Shelbourne on Twitter and offered me tickets to a UCD game in the future. That's more like the welcome I've had in Ireland previously so fair play to the Collegiates!''

A message left about Shelbourne v UCD from an English Ground hopper, really poor from Shelbourne even it is only the league cup......

nigel-harps1954
02/04/2019, 11:01 PM
So 8 Premier Division teams in the quarters. Just the two Rovers knocked out

7 by my count.

It might still be a shock, but Bray were actually relegated.

pineapple stu
03/04/2019, 5:59 AM
Oh yeah!

Pats also out

desaintsno.12
03/04/2019, 6:01 AM
Glad to see Finn Harps and UCD still involved. Good for our relegation battle.

EAFC_rdfl
03/04/2019, 9:33 AM
UCD are already safe

brendy_éire
03/04/2019, 10:13 AM
Enjoyable game in the Brandywell, and good to get a few of the lads coming back from injury/suspension a run out.

I thought Longford were actually quite good and tried to play football. Passed it out for the back a lot, and pressured Derry we when had the ball. They're bound to remain around the top of the First playing like that.

Match highlights here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pul-hzj1p5A
Stokes's goal on 1:30 the best of the lot.

desaintsno.12
03/04/2019, 10:42 AM
UCD are already safe

Quick, hide the "Never Relegated" flag lads.

thebronze14
03/04/2019, 11:41 AM
7 by my count.

It might still be a shock, but Bray were actually relegated.

Ah they'll find some way to weasel their way back into the 2019 Premier Division somehow

marinobohs
03/04/2019, 12:34 PM
Tuesday

''Cold way to end the trip, both in weather and welcome. Not a club I want to revisit. Not that bothered that they didn't issue a programme as I had half expected that, but they didn't bother with anything. No hot food at all, just got drinks of little quality and they couldn't even be bothered to offer me the chance to buy anything from their closed club shop. I had spent at least €20 at each of the other clubs but no interest from Shelbourne in selling me anything. Really poor attitude from their club officials so I was happy when UCD scored late in the game to go through . They also spotted my message to Shelbourne on Twitter and offered me tickets to a UCD game in the future. That's more like the welcome I've had in Ireland previously so fair play to the Collegiates!''

A message left about Shelbourne v UCD from an English Ground hopper, really poor from Shelbourne even it is only the league cup......

Shels obviously busy focusing on their 'plan' to relegate Bohs :cool:

total hoofball
03/04/2019, 7:08 PM
Tuesday

''Cold way to end the trip, both in weather and welcome. Not a club I want to revisit. Not that bothered that they didn't issue a programme as I had half expected that, but they didn't bother with anything. No hot food at all, just got drinks of little quality and they couldn't even be bothered to offer me the chance to buy anything from their closed club shop. I had spent at least €20 at each of the other clubs but no interest from Shelbourne in selling me anything. Really poor attitude from their club officials so I was happy when UCD scored late in the game to go through . They also spotted my message to Shelbourne on Twitter and offered me tickets to a UCD game in the future. That's more like the welcome I've had in Ireland previously so fair play to the Collegiates!''

But it's the league cup...

marinobohs
04/04/2019, 9:08 AM
But it's the league cup...

Imagine a LOI club expected to provide basic facilities for paying customers Tsk. down with that sort of thing :rolleyes:

total hoofball
04/04/2019, 8:45 PM
Imagine a LOI club expected to provide basic facilities for paying customers Tsk. down with that sort of thing :rolleyes:
Get out of that nonsense, mid-week split-gate LC game against UCD with an attendance of 200 and putting on matchday programme, hot food van and club shop ensure you lose a nice unnecessary sum of money

pineapple stu
04/04/2019, 8:53 PM
Would actually agree with all that except the club shop bit. Surely that wouldn't lose money?

There was a shop selling bars and I think tea/coffee. Didn't see any problems really