PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Televised Fixtures

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

nigel-harps1954
05/02/2019, 2:18 PM
Figured best to start a new thread for 2019 games.

Dundalk v Sligo first up.

Reportedly some new features of live coverage. Should be interesting to see when any official announcement comes.

EatYerGreens
05/02/2019, 9:27 PM
No real surprise with that choice.

Two strong fixtures if they go with a live game the week after. Cork v Waterford would probably get the nod over Rovers v Derry. Though as we all know, they do like staying in Dublin... :D

pineapple stu
05/02/2019, 9:32 PM
UCD v Bohs it is so

oriel
05/02/2019, 9:39 PM
Figured best to start a new thread for 2019 games.

Dundalk v Sligo first up.

Reportedly some new features of live coverage. Should be interesting to see when any official announcement comes.

I heard there will be interaction with fans before each live game, Cork Tom is a regular visitor to Oriel Park, and he wont be missing this, he would be a fantastic choice for an interview.

Yossarian
08/02/2019, 9:15 PM
I had a look at the Sky guide for next Friday and it has Dundalk v Sligo on RTÉ 2. The programme is down from 7:30 until 10:30. That’s a good long show if it turns out to be correct. It’s billed as “Friday Night Soccer”. I wonder if they do show goals/highlights of the other games would it mean they don’t do the show on the Monday.

Kiki Balboa
09/02/2019, 3:07 PM
To be fair, would be more happy with Friday night highlights show rather than Monday night, even if it was later. Its an absolute ball ache to wait till after the weekend to see highlights and loses its buzz waiting so long.

Having live games is so important to league, as it helps legitimize it to casual and potential fans. If we can some tv show every friday night, it will help cement that Friday nights are LOI nights in the sports calendar.

It is a pity the we have to rely on RTE. As a national broadcaster, in the last few years they have become extremely poor. They hardly produce anything of note across the genres, relying heavily on foreign TV shows, and all of their sport analysis across the codes feels so stale and forced IMO. It really comes across as a chore for them to cover LOI, the commentators can hardly be asrsed most of the time, unlike EIR which is much more engaging. Although, I do find LOI pundits a little better than the EPL, less bulls***t with them (I forgot about Fabio).

It is also a pity how backwards the league is online as well, there is so much more improvement that could go in there. Theres been barely any hype for the league from the League/FAI. I very doubt any no LOI sports fan know the league is starting next week. In saying that, at least the podcasts that have come out in the last few years are brilliant. There are so many fantastic things in this league, hence why we all love it. Its just a pity we can't convey it to the wider sporting public.

If there is anything I change about the league it would be better looking Stadiums and more engaging coverage. Slowly I guess, we will get there.

outspoken
09/02/2019, 10:52 PM
I'd prefer highlights of a Monday tho than just seeing the goals go in

ToberonaTornado
09/02/2019, 11:06 PM
I'd say if soccer republic was being axed we'd have heard a rumour or two about by this stage.Or am i being a bit naive?

What i heard is what Yossarian says above - the programme will start 7:30pm,finish 10.30pm and will include "action & reaction" from the rest of the evenings fixtures.

RTÉ feeling guilty over it's blanket international rugby coverage maybe :confused: :rolleyes:

Ezeikial
09/02/2019, 11:09 PM
If RTE are only showing 10 league matches live again this season, axing SR because of the live goals thing would be a nonsense

ToberonaTornado
09/02/2019, 11:16 PM
That as well :)
Thinking cap not on yet Ez.Just home from a long but enjoyable trip to Cork.

ToberonaTornado
11/02/2019, 4:31 PM
RTÉ's Soccer Republic to be halved in length for 2019 season
https://www.the42.ie/soccer-republic-4488213-Feb2019/?utm_

SkStu
11/02/2019, 5:14 PM
RTÉ's Soccer Republic to be halved in length for 2019 season
https://www.the42.ie/soccer-republic-4488213-Feb2019/?utm_

I don't mind the change too much although it is a bit of a pity there wont be at least some level of punditry in the highlights show.

ger121
11/02/2019, 5:56 PM
Thank god no more Peter Collins on a Monday. It only took cutting the only highlights show in half but for me it’s worth it. He’s still doing it, isn’t he?!

pineapple stu
11/02/2019, 6:27 PM
That won't go down too well in Sligo I'd say.

Anyone else in the Premier play on a Saturday?

Overall, sounds decent though.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
11/02/2019, 7:12 PM
It's still on Monday nights so will still show our games. Scheduled for 7.30pm next Monday night. RTE won't be showing games every Friday night.

pineapple stu
11/02/2019, 7:22 PM
Well ye'll be grand for Mondays, yeah, but the Friday highlights sounds potentially quite decent, but ye'd miss out on that entirely.

Probably only a small thing really; social media, playback, etc, is still there of course.

IsMiseSean
11/02/2019, 8:17 PM
So will the goals only be available to clubs social media accounts before Monday when there is a live game on a Friday night?

EatYerGreens
12/02/2019, 1:13 AM
This change in how RTE is screeening the league was doubtless run-by Delaney and the FAI in advance.

JD starting to wipe his hands of the league already, by winding things down for it?

Nesta99
12/02/2019, 2:25 AM
I dont see much point in a highlights show without some analysis tbh. It sounds shoddy and disinterested. When is the renewal for rights to international games? In the past the FAI/JD pushed that they had to convince RTE to have any coverage of the league as part of any international package. Its not often I'd take what is said by the FAI at face value but on this I think RTE would have had to have their arms twisted. They used to refer to attendances and facilities not to show LoI and then on a prime Saturday slot they would have Cork Con playing Terenure in front of 100 people with a rope around the pitch. When they got rid of the gimmicks as part of MNS like players doing bloody karaoke and had analysis along the lines of the international coverage it was heading in the right direction. Now its just going to be a 30 minute montage of goals and dodgy tackles? Waste of time regardless of going round the grounds during a Friday night live game unless there was a game on every week! 15 league games over the season is paltry so lets hope Eir Sports pick up some of the slack.

Mr A
12/02/2019, 9:06 AM
Won't be missing the 'analysis', it was pretty much always utter rubbish anyway.

nigel-harps1954
12/02/2019, 12:16 PM
Eir Sport committed to 15 live games this season.

Looking at 33 games this year. Presumably that'll include Cup games and European games.

Nesta99
12/02/2019, 12:51 PM
Won't be missing the 'analysis', it was pretty much always utter rubbish anyway.

As it mostly is in a particularly bland way on Match of the Day but the format is still relevant.

osarusan
12/02/2019, 1:15 PM

Reports coming in from all over the country of people jumping into fountains to celebrate the news that Dave Barry won't be on TV any more.

Mr A
12/02/2019, 1:22 PM
Reports coming in from all over the country of people jumping into fountains to celebrate the news that Dave Barry won't be on TV any more.

That lad is a good player, I can remember him playing for Cork.

Asterix
12/02/2019, 1:40 PM
Rte announced their first four games, none of them are in dublin so Eatyergreens will be delighted.

Dundalk v Sligo 15/02
Dundalk v Cork 29/03
Cork v Rovers 05/04
Derry v Rovers 19/04

WeAreRovers
12/02/2019, 2:20 PM
We are actually increasing and enhancing our coverage this year with the 3 hour Friday night programme including the goals and action from around the league as well as goals being available for social media from Friday night too. Soccer Republic will indeed have less Dave Barry but the same amount of action.

Friday Night Soccer kicks off this Friday night (February 15, 7.30pm on RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player) as the 2019 SSE Airtricity League gets underway.

In the first of 18 live games this season across the SSE Airtricity League and Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup Peter Collins will have live coverage as champions Dundalk start their Premier Division title defence against Sligo Rovers at Oriel Park (KO 7.45pm). Peter will be joined by Stuey Byrne and Richie Sadlier with George Hamilton and Pat Fenlon on commentary.

Along with the live featured game Friday Night Soccer will have all the action and reaction from around the League.

Other confirmed live games on Friday Night Soccer are Dundalk v Cork City on 29 March, Cork City v Shamrock Rovers on 5 April and Derry City v Shamrock Rovers on 19 April.

Soccer Republic returns for the new season next Monday (February 18, 7.30pm, RTÉ2 & RTÉ Player) with all the weekend’s goals plus the best of the rest of the action from the first round of games as well as reaction from managers and players.

Saturday Sport on RTÉ Radio 1 and Game On on RTÉ2fm will have regular features, previews and interviews throughout the season.

RTÉ.ie and the RTÉ News Now app will provide live blogs every Friday night with the latest from all the top flight matches, along with previews in the run-up to the games.
Also this year the RTÉ Soccer Podcast, presented by Adrian Eames and Tony O'Donoghue,will bring fans all the latest in Irish soccer - from the international sides to the Airtricity League - with big name interviews and analysis from RTÉ's leading pundits.

RTÉ Group Head of Sport Declan McBennett commented "The new, enhanced Friday Night Soccer live SSE Airtricity League coverage on RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player demonstrates RTÉ's continued commitment to Irish soccer with 18 live games throughout the season in a new 7.30pm to 10.30pm time slot. In addition to the live game Friday Night Soccer will bring fans and viewers all the rest of the night's goals, action and reaction while Soccer Republic will return at 7.30pm on Monday evenings."

nigel-harps1954
12/02/2019, 2:41 PM
The Friday night idea is fantastic I think. But what happens on week's where there's no live game? Will it just be the 30 minute Monday coverage instead? That's likely to be only around 12/13 rounds of the league too.

Nesta99
12/02/2019, 3:58 PM
Rte announced their first four games, none of them are in dublin so Eatyergreens will be delighted.

Dundalk v Sligo 15/02
Dundalk v Cork 29/03
Cork v Rovers 05/04
Derry v Rovers 19/04

As will the Shamrock Rovers board! Getting on tv but not huffing and puffing about gate receipts.

bohsmug
12/02/2019, 4:25 PM
Will have to wait and see how the 30 minute show is. I wonder will it be highlights only or highlights and features, like the soccer show way back when.

It's a mixed bag. Clubs being able to show highlights on social media while they're still fresh is a very good thing. I find the MLS do a good job on social media. I wonder could the league try do something similar.

ashbournebohs
12/02/2019, 5:11 PM
Social Media and youtube is the way to go re exposure. See Ian Morris goal v Cork with over 1 million views .
A small investment to each club in the form of A/V equipment and a link up with media students would go a long way. Clubs could then run youtube channels and upload goals to social media channels along side interviews and other content.

joey B
12/02/2019, 5:13 PM

Dundalk v Sligo 15/02
Dundalk v Cork 29/03
Cork v Rovers 05/04
Derry v Rovers 19/04

Hopefully TV cameras don't come near Finn Park this season,we never win a televised game,Finn Park looks brutal on TV and it definitely affects attendances.

pineapple stu
12/02/2019, 5:32 PM
Finn Park looks brutal on TV
Looks brutal in real life too in fairness

*ducks*

Mr A
12/02/2019, 6:02 PM
Finn Park is a relic. But it doesn't have a sign for a Finn Harps fan section in it :)

pineapple stu
12/02/2019, 7:59 PM
Ooh, good comeback! :p

ToberonaTornado
12/02/2019, 8:04 PM
Thank god no more Peter Collins on a Monday. It only took cutting the only highlights show in half but for me it’s worth it. He’s still doing it, isn’t he?!

Sorry Ger,TV guide says Peter Collins will still be on.

Soccer Republic
Magazine series presented by Peter Collins, focusing on Ireland's SSE Airtricity League and the fortunes of the international team.

BBC NI do a great job with the NIFL goals,highlights and podcasts on their site,if RTÉ followed that model that would be class.

WeAreRovers
13/02/2019, 10:32 AM
Sorry Ger,TV guide says Peter Collins will still be on.

Nope, goals show with all the goals, action and reaction but no studio, no Peter Collins and no punditry.

nigel-harps1954
13/02/2019, 10:46 AM
Nope, goals show with all the goals, action and reaction but no studio, no Peter Collins and no punditry.

So just a voice-over then?

What happens on a Friday night with no live game?

WeAreRovers
13/02/2019, 11:32 AM
So just a voice-over then?

What happens on a Friday night with no live game?

Mix of voice-over, reports and comms like goals show everywhere.

Same on weeks with no live show but goals available online and social.

Crosshead
13/02/2019, 12:13 PM
Some spin to claim less TV time is 'increasing and enhancing coverage'.

Most weeks we'll only get half an hour TV time. This will particularly be the case in the summer when RTE does it's usual trick of forgetting about the league until the GAA is over.

WeAreRovers
13/02/2019, 1:02 PM
Some spin to claim less TV time is 'increasing and enhancing coverage'.

Most weeks we'll only get half an hour TV time. This will particularly be the case in the summer when RTE does it's usual trick of forgetting about the league until the GAA is over.

LOI fans have to start facing reality, live coverage is the be all and all of sports TV, fewer people watch highlights in all sports and less than nobody watches LOI highlights (no matter where in the schedule they are).

Monday nights will have the exact same amount of football in a shorter broadcast, not that difficult to understand. Friday nights will have more football including highlights for a much larger audience.

RTE are increasing resources, infrastructure and time for the new format in an effort to improve and enhance our coverage. Call that spin all you want (and that's my job after all) but it's still a fact.

Real ale Madrid
13/02/2019, 1:17 PM
RTE are increasing resources, infrastructure and time for the new format in an effort to improve and enhance our coverage. Call that spin all you want (and that's my job after all) but it's still a fact.

How are they increasing resources?

They have the same amount of games and the highlights will be Friday now instead of Monday. Its window dressing. Nothing more.

As of next weekend. There will have been 22 live GAA games on TV so far this year. on average 5 per week for the past 5 weeks.
10 further games fully deferred.
Numerous colleges and club games games live on-line.
A 2 hour highlights programme on rte on a Sunday for the last 3 weeks.
A 1 hour highlights programme on TG4 on Monday night.
A 2 hours highlights preview / show on eir every Wednesday for the last 3 weeks.
And its mid Feb - virtually the off season!

That is how you promote your sport.

What John Delaney and Fran Gavin have given us is a simple re-arranging of the deckchairs and an announcement of a non-existent new competition. Its just as well that these guys are not answerable to anyone because they would have been long gone otherwise.

Crosshead
13/02/2019, 1:53 PM
"Fewer people watch highlights" - yet Allianz League Sunday, the Sunday Game, and Against the Head aren't having their highlights shows halved in time. I'd love to see RTE make that argument in the face of the inevitable furore if they did ever look to cut coverage to other sports.

RTE have committed to 18 games, and announce this at the start of the season, but there's always a slight of hand here. It's not 18 league games. RTE only showed 10 league games last season and that's when you'll have your extra post-match coverage. There'll be no league round-ups after European matches or FAI Cup semi finals and final.

By my count RTE will be broadcasting at least eight hours less LOI on TV this year. An improvement to the Friday night offering doesn't change that bigger picture reduction.

nigel-harps1954
13/02/2019, 1:56 PM
I think RTÉ have it almost right.

The new format is good. 3 hours on a Friday evening and the half hour highlights show on a Monday is grand.

The issue is however, the majority of target audience are out watching games on a Friday. There's also a large amount of Monday night games that clash with Monday highlights.

The live games should be on a Saturday evening, and to be consistent with this new 3 hour format, should be one every week.

Highlights show should either directly follow, or come ahead of the GAA show on a Sunday evening.

Viewership figures would shoot up significantly with these two changes.

blueblood
14/02/2019, 12:30 PM
If RTE do the 3 hour shows for 15 or 16 of the 18 live games those "extra" 15 or 16 hours makes up for losing the half hour on Monday, hopefully there'll be less sh1t talk too so for me that'll do nicely.
Usually I record Soccer Republic but fast forward through most of the chat and I'd say a lot of people do the same

oriel
14/02/2019, 1:27 PM
If RTE do the 3 hour shows for 15 or 16 of the 18 live games those "extra" 15 or 16 hours makes up for losing the half hour on Monday, hopefully there'll be less sh1t talk too so for me that'll do nicely.
Usually I record Soccer Republic but fast forward through most of the chat and I'd say a lot of people do the same

Yep, I'm with you here brother, obviously not including chat after the Dundalk game and maybe one or two others, its FW to the goals for me for the rest of the show, and I always record it to have this option.

pineapple stu
15/02/2019, 6:40 PM
Nice little touch going around all the grounds before kick-off.

Didn't recognise John Kenny until he started speaking

A N Mouse
15/02/2019, 9:11 PM
Be interesting to see if the quality of the highlights is improved.

I don't see the problem with Monday night being only half hour. Think most people skipped the talking heads anyway.

That said a commitment to an hour on the Fridays rte aren't showing a game, with prerecorded packages on talking points, and
a bit of a preview for each match before the goals wouldn't go amiss.

mcgonigle
15/02/2019, 10:34 PM
Nice little touch going around all the grounds before kick-off.

Didn't recognise John Kenny until he started speaking

Heard Kenny giving the Waterford v Rovets match report on rte radio 1. He called Ethan Boyle, Ethan Blake twice and Alan McManus, Adam McManus. Isn't he a Rovers fan?

nigel-harps1954
15/02/2019, 10:39 PM
I find it bemusing that they went around the ground to all the reporters pre-match, but never went back to them again over the course of the broadcast.

Surely they could have done a quick half-time rundown with each of them, and the same again at full time as opposed to Peter Collins talking over the goals?

RathfarnhamHoop
15/02/2019, 11:02 PM
I find it bemusing that they went around the ground to all the reporters pre-match, but never went back to them again over the course of the broadcast.

Surely they could have done a quick half-time rundown with each of them, and the same again at full time as opposed to Peter Collins talking over the goals?

It'd be so easy for them to get reporters to jot down timestamps of events they want to mention in a round up and show those events with the reporter doing a voice over at the end instead of just showing goals.