12/04/2005, 8:44 PM
Did you see the goalie hit by a flare, game stopped!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

eirebhoy
12/04/2005, 8:47 PM
http://members.boards.ie/eirebhoy/milan.jpg

pete
12/04/2005, 9:15 PM
Probably just some over celebrating? ;)

I'd suspect Inter will face long ban from the San Siro next season. 5 match home ban because such a high profile game?

Green Tribe
12/04/2005, 9:19 PM
i'm surprised Italy don't do more to control these flares, they are oviously very dangerous, however spectacular they look! Maybe this will finally make them see sense.

pete
12/04/2005, 9:43 PM
Looks like pre planned event. Must be 10 flares on the pitch. Unreal pictures showing flare hit Dida on the shoulder.

Flares are very very hot but won't be any long term damage to the player.

Green Tribe
12/04/2005, 9:50 PM
Looks like pre planned event. Must be 10 flares on the pitch. Unreal pictures showing flare hit Dida on the shoulder.

Wouldn't be jumping for joy if I got one in the eyeball though! Will be interesting to hear the feedback on it all.

Sheridan
12/04/2005, 9:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4432047.stm

That decision sparked the missile and flare-throwing, and Dida was lucky to be struck on the shoulder, the firework only missing his head by inches.

Nice to see the Beeb displaying so keen an appreciation of basic anatomy...

crc
12/04/2005, 10:17 PM
I think Inter should get a ban from European competition next year and maybe the next. That's what happened to English clubs when they had trouble with crowds, although I don't think a ban should apply to all clubs in Italy (which would be grossly unfair on AC Milan), but specific to the clubs concerned. Inter and Roma fans would soon wise up with the prospect of a number of years (maybe 5) out of European competition.

eirebhoy
12/04/2005, 11:15 PM

It hit hit him at aroun 70 mph though and is around the same weight as an apple.

Green Tribe
12/04/2005, 11:23 PM
It hit hit him at aroun 70 mph though and is around the same weight as an apple.

ouch! I would be really p1ssed off! :eek:

Closed Account 2
13/04/2005, 1:26 AM
Thrown from the top tier apparently, this sort of thing seems to be creeping into football in the UK too, what with someone launching a flare from the Manchester United end when they played Southampton a few weeks ago. Luckily noone was hurt in that incident.

I'd imagine Inter will get the same as Roma in terms of punishment, 3-0 defeat and 2-3 matches behind closed doors. Tho from what I've read there were more fans (and more flares thrown) than the Roma-coin-Frisk incident. I didnt watch the game (was at the big match instead, Brentford v Tranmere) but the clips off the news show one of the pitch-ends covered in flares.

mypost
13/04/2005, 3:35 AM
As an Inter fan myself, I can only say that I am personally sickened at what fans who claim to support the club have done. As if losing to Milan again wasn't bad enough, the club can do without this latest problem. Unfortunately, because of a minority of fans once again, the club is going to get screwed by UEFA. The best punishment the club can hope for is a substantial fine, and possibly home games in Europe played behind closed doors, but I suspect the punishment will be a lot worse than that.

While not condoning what happened in the game against Milan, Inter are by no means the only club in Italy to have a hooligan problem. Rioting is a regular feature at Italian league games, Roma fans also caused the abandonment of a CL game earlier this season. Juventus fans are openly threatening "revenge" against Liverpool fans after what happened when the clubs played each other 20 years ago. When Liverpool fans went to Rome 4 years ago in the UEFA Cup, they were attacked by the Roma fans, both inside and outside the stadium. It's no surprise then, that the club hasn't sold out it's ticket allocation for the game against Juventus in Turin.

The "Italian disease" is not confined to club football either. Scotland and Wales fans have travelled to Milan for International games recently, and were subjected to various forms of physical abuse from the Italian fans. Therefore, what happened in the CL quarter-final is the latest in a long line of incidents involving fans of Italian teams. While Inter fans are in the spotlight now, their fans are not alone. The authorities have done very little about it up to now, and if the present situation continues, then I'm afraid, there will be more incidents of crowd trouble involving fans of teams from Italy in the future. When dishing out their punishments, UEFA should consider whether Italian clubs should be suspended from European football for the foreseeable future, following this latest incident, like they did with English teams in the past. Or whether they decide that there is one rule for English teams, and another for everyone else in European competitions, following crowd violence.

stojkovic
13/04/2005, 9:07 AM

A few years ago I think it was the 94WC qualifier at Cardiff Arms Park a person on one side of the ground let off a flare. It shot across the field and hit an elderly man KILLING him.

Eire06
13/04/2005, 9:10 AM
A lot of the players were blaming the ref last night for all his dodgy decisions.... You could see them mouthing off to him..

Ya the Ref was crap but no need for that kind of reaction.. The english media are making a meal out of it too, trying to cloud the English hooligan image saying the Italians are worse...

OwlsFan
13/04/2005, 9:37 AM
All I can say is that Inter showed plenty of flare.

anto1208
13/04/2005, 10:11 AM
A lot of the players were blaming the ref last night for all his dodgy decisions.... You could see them mouthing off to him..

Ya the Ref was crap but no need for that kind of reaction.. The english media are making a meal out of it too, trying to cloud the English hooligan image saying the Italians are worse...

what !! that is rubbish as bad as english fans are ive never seen anything like that last night , but of coarse nothing will really happen inter they should be kicked out of the comp for a minimum of a year , if it was an english club they would be banned straight away . but the english media are right the italians are way way worse than any english hooligans ,

razor
13/04/2005, 10:17 AM
trying to cloud the English hooligan image saying the Italians are worse...Hello, Wake Up call, the Italians are worse.

Dublin12
13/04/2005, 10:23 AM
Try telling that to Juve fans where 39 died because of the English hooligans :mad:

noby
13/04/2005, 10:30 AM
Try telling that to Juve fans where 39 died because of the English hooligans :mad:

I think you'll find he's speaking in present tense

Tonight's match was going to be edgy as it is. Now we've a case of Italian fans crowd trouble stopping a match, and UEFA not seen to jump in with immediate bans. It may not help the situation for tonight.

Eire06
13/04/2005, 10:35 AM
Anto1208 and razor take off the blinkers please!!

What about in 1995 when England fans rioted at a friendly game against Ireland, or when they played Italy in 97 at a World Cup qualifying match, or when a Sheffield United supporter leapt on to the pitch and thumped a linesman unconscious just because he did not agree with a handball decision..
the rioting involving English fans in Marseille in the 1998 World Cup and at Charleroi during Euro 2000

I can go on and on with examples.. But I don't want to take away from what happened last night It was a disgrace...
But I do think The English media are kinda saying were not bad at all sure look at them lot... And they are just as bad if not worse..

Hooliganism has to be looked at on a world wide scale in order to control it

I think a more suitable punishment would be to ban the having support for a good few matches and a hefty fine for the club..
I think the supporters should suffer as well as the club

Dublin12
13/04/2005, 10:42 AM
It's the policing and stewarting in England that is much better thats why this sort of thing isn't seen at English grounds,but don't say Italian hooligans are worse their English counterparts because records and facts prove that is not the case.

anto1208
13/04/2005, 12:16 PM
Anto1208 and razor take off the blinkers please!!

What about in 1995 when England fans rioted at a friendly game against Ireland, or when they played Italy in 97 at a World Cup qualifying match, or when a Sheffield United supporter leapt on to the pitch and thumped a linesman unconscious just because he did not agree with a handball decision..
the rioting involving English fans in Marseille in the 1998 World Cup and at Charleroi during Euro 2000

I can go on and on with examples.. But I don't want to take away from what happened last night It was a disgrace...
But I do think The English media are kinda saying were not bad at all sure look at them lot... And they are just as bad if not worse..

Hooliganism has to be looked at on a world wide scale in order to control it

I think a more suitable punishment would be to ban the having support for a good few matches and a hefty fine for the club..
I think the supporters should suffer as well as the club

in 95 they were members of combat 18 and the head hunters not english soccer fans .and in the euro's the roiters were in a different town from the english match's and there for are not english soccer fans just scum bag english . (if a load of irish get in a big fight in anya napa when we are playing greece does that mean they are irish soccer hooligans )
for example the guy who recently hit roy carrol with a coin was caught and banned from all grounds ,same with the guy hitting the linesman attacking savage etc ...but what will happen to the inter fans caught trowing the flares last night ?

can you remember the last game abbandonned because of english fans the irish one in 95 10 years ago is the last one i remember .

god help the liverpool fans tonight

Eire06
13/04/2005, 12:21 PM
in 95 they were members of combat 18 and the head hunters not english soccer fans .and in the euro's the roiters were in a different town from the english match's and there for are not english soccer fans just scum bag english . (if a load of irish get in a big fight in anya napa when we are playing greece does that mean they are irish soccer hooligans )
for example the guy who recently hit roy carrol with a coin was caught and banned from all grounds ,same with the guy hitting the linesman attacking savage etc ...but what will happen to the inter fans caught trowing the flares last night ?

can you remember the last game abbandonned because of english fans the irish one in 95 10 years ago is the last one i remember .

god help the liverpool fans tonight
The were still all there to watch the soccer and support their teams.. I'd say security will be mental tonight.. It'll be needed

Macy
13/04/2005, 12:23 PM
Thrown from the top tier apparently, this sort of thing seems to be creeping into football in the UK too, what with someone launching a flare from the Manchester United end when they played Southampton a few weeks ago. Luckily noone was hurt in that incident.
Why was it lucky? It was thrown on the pitch well away from any players, not aimed at anyone in malice. No different from eL grounds when flares are lit after goals....

That one in the Arms Park was one of those shipping ones that is fired from a "gun", rather than a hand held job.

razor
13/04/2005, 12:46 PM
Anto1208 and razor take off the blinkers please!!as noby correctly pointed out I was referring to the present day situation. The English still have some but have gone to great lengths to cut this problem out. The Italians have done bugger all. They need to get their house in order now.

Schumi
13/04/2005, 12:47 PM
I blame Cork fans, they gave Inter the idea.

Roo69
13/04/2005, 12:49 PM
Inter fans must have been watching Dream Team :p

ollie
13/04/2005, 1:25 PM
A few years ago I think it was the 94WC qualifier at Cardiff Arms Park a person on one side of the ground let off a flare. It shot across the field and hit an elderly man KILLING him.

sounds more like a fire work than a flare.
still though scary stuff

Schumi
13/04/2005, 1:27 PM
It was one of those nautical ones that shoot the flare miles up in the air I think.

Schumi
13/04/2005, 2:20 PM
Was Moratti real Inter target?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumours in Italy are suggesting that last night’s abandonment of the Milan derby was a premeditated attack on Inter owner Massimo Moratti.

The Champions’ League quarter-final between the two Milan clubs was brought to a stop on 73 minutes after Nerazzurri fans threw numerous objects onto the pitch, including a flare at Rossoneri ‘keeper Dida.

It was initially thought that those actions were as a direct response to the fact that Inter had a seemingly good Esteban Cambiasso goal disallowed by referee Markus Merk.

However, sources close to the Curva Nord – the section of the ground that caused the trouble – are allegedly claiming that fans had planned last night’s events for some time.

Numerous e-mails were sent to the ‘Pressing Champions League’ TV programme on Tuesday after the game which seemed to ‘confirm’ such a view.

It’s believed that the objective was to affect Inter both on an economical and image level, in an effort to send Moratti a clear message.

The Inter owner, who has pumped millions into the club over the last decade, doesn’t have a great relationship with some sections of the fans after collecting just one UEFA Cup since he took control of the outfit.
From channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/apr13a.html)

anto eile
13/04/2005, 4:15 PM
Milan eejits
Did you see the goalie hit by a flare, game stopped!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

it was inter fans , not milan fans

Green Tribe
13/04/2005, 4:17 PM
it was inter fans , not milan fans

inter MILAN you eejit!!!

:eek: :D

anto eile
13/04/2005, 4:18 PM
dont blame the inter fans.instead of being 2-2 on aggregate agisnt 10 men they were 3-0 down agianst 11men.they were robbed.and apart from hitting Dida (i dont condone that) i cant blame them for losing the plot and going mental.

anto eile
13/04/2005, 4:20 PM
inter MILAN you eejit!!!

:eek: :D

there are two teams in milan . one is inter,or internazionale if you want to use the long version.the other is simply Milan
no AC, no Intermilan. just Inter and Milan

Green Tribe
13/04/2005, 4:20 PM
dont blame the inter fans.instead of being 2-2 on aggregate agisnt 10 men they were 3-0 down agianst 11men.they were robbed.and apart from hitting Dida (i dont condone that) i cant blame them for losing the plot and going mental.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Eire06
13/04/2005, 4:22 PM
there are two teams in milan . one is inter,or internazionale if you want to use the long version.the other is simply Milan

Oh get over it we all knew what she ment... :rolleyes:

anto eile
13/04/2005, 4:22 PM
if a load of irish get in a big fight in anya napa when we are playing greece does that mean they are irish soccer hooligans
no, that would be simply a gang of irish people holidaying in cyprus. wtf has that got to do with greece?

anto eile
13/04/2005, 4:24 PM
Oh get over it we all knew what she ment... :rolleyes:
i no what she meant,but italians might find referring to Inter as Milan as ignorance.
the whole AC nonsence pi$$es me off.

Green Tribe
13/04/2005, 4:25 PM

you're just picking nits now!!!!

see here (http://www.inter.it/aas/hp?L=en) (see top of page in blue)

and here!! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4407905.stm)

they are known as inter milan in short as far as i know and see, sometimes names are shortened ie anthony to 'anto' ooh-ooh handbag' :D ;)

adamcarr
13/04/2005, 4:26 PM
I blame Cork fans, they gave Inter the idea.
I suppose! Cant really disagree TBH! ;)

Green Tribe
13/04/2005, 4:27 PM
i no what she meant,but italians might find referring to Inter as Milan as ignorance.
the whole AC nonsence pi$$es me off.

cheers eire06, we'll just gang up on him :D
Well, the only italian on here is tony cuna, but he is irish now, tony cooney, so don't think he'll be complaining :D

Green Tribe
13/04/2005, 4:31 PM
. (if a load of irish get in a big fight in anya napa when we are playing greece does that mean they are irish soccer hooligans )

Anya napa, is that a new resort in Cyprus???!! :eek: ;) :D

pete
13/04/2005, 4:39 PM
As said already its: Internationale (Inter for short) & Milan. calling them AC Milan is like calling Liverpool - "Liverpool FC"

It does seem Italian football has a big problem as this is no isolated event. Ultras seem to have a huge amount of power in italian clubs (leaders will often know team captain on first name basis, meet aty training ground etc...) & maybe right that were trying to send signal to Moratti last night.

English football hooligans have not disappeared. There may be less of them but english police are probably world leaders in investigating hooligan groups & match day policing since Maggie Thatcher funded them. Italians clearly have a lot to learn yet. I would think ist relatively easy to search people entering the groud for flares.

I think UEFA will make an example of Inter because was such a high profile match.

Green Tribe
13/04/2005, 4:44 PM
Doesn't matter. it was still a fan from a MILAN team, quit the nit-picking! :rolleyes: When i posted that msg i did not know which team it came from, that's my defence! :D :p

Closed Account 2
13/04/2005, 5:52 PM
Why was it lucky? It was thrown on the pitch well away from any players, not aimed at anyone in malice. No different from eL grounds when flares are lit after goals....

Well it seemed to land on the pitch, these (1 (http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=52379603&cdi=0) and 2 (http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/52379718.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE9A21091711E5AD1EE000A373F1C7 0AFF7757C85AE85A779B)) pics seem to show it landed in/near the penalty box. It was thrown while the game was in progress, so it was lucky no keeper or outfield player was in its path, otherwise it would have been a very much more serious incident. This (http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/52379716.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE9A21091711E5AD1E9B7B265630C7 3A677757C85AE85A779B) scene certainly makes it look like the thrower threw it in a random and unaimed way, so imo it was very lucky noone was injured.

stojkovic
14/04/2005, 9:59 AM
As said already its: Internationale (Inter for short) & Milan. calling them AC Milan is like calling Liverpool - "Liverpool FC"

Associonio Calcio (football club) - everyone knows that. :)

Aberdonian Stu
14/04/2005, 11:46 AM
On a way lighter note did anyone see the picture on the back of yesterday's Indo? Materazzi of Inter leaning on Rui Costa of Milan looking down at the area where all the flares had landed. Really good shot, I'd say the photographer did very well on syndication.