PDA

View Full Version : Names on back of Jersey's...

holidaysong
12/04/2005, 1:27 PM
Why don't all eircom League teams have their players names on the back of the jersey's instead of some having squad numbers with them and other teams just having numbers 1 - 11 with no names? Consistency would be nice...

Maynard
12/04/2005, 1:43 PM
Guess it's that "fighting for the jersey" mentality. Personally I'd like to see squad numbers and names of our shirts. Helps people identify with the players quicker.

aido_b
12/04/2005, 1:59 PM
Clubs just cant afford it! I know it sounds stupid but every penny counts!

wws
12/04/2005, 2:01 PM
all our squad are callerd Sandtex for some reason :D

pineapple stu
12/04/2005, 2:04 PM
I'm delighted we don't have names on our jerseys. 1 to 11 looks far better.

Sligo had to tape over some of their players' names last season after a bit of a clear-out mid-season! Looked awful!

holidaysong
12/04/2005, 2:07 PM
I know it's cheaper but you might be able to sell more replica jersey's if you can get your favourite players name and number printed on the back instead of this week they wear 9 and next week maybe they are number 7!?

pineapple stu
12/04/2005, 2:10 PM
Nah. For a start, the club has nowhere to offer a printing service - like most clubs, I'd say. If we get them pre-written, we have a huge amount of stock to shift. For a club with as small a fan-base as ours, our jerseys are selling at a good pace as it is. Plus you're less likely to get caught out with "Howlett 9" on the back!

Bald Student
12/04/2005, 11:51 PM
1 to 11 looks far better.I agree, eleven players take to the field, they should be numbered one to eleven in order of their position.

A face
13/04/2005, 12:34 AM
There are definitely more plus for getting names on jersey's .... hands down.
Some of the arguments there are just sad really lads, the league needs to improve ffs.

There is a velcro option too, where the names are velcro-ed (spelling??) onto the jersey .... dont know how the work over the course of a season but its an option.

In fairness ..... not putting names on jersies because you might be having a clear out some time soon .... get a grip lads. Maybe that is the problem ... if you had a bit of faith in the players and they played for the name and number then things would be better.

Every clubs should have an iron thingy-whazzit for pressing the names on. Make some extra cash aswell when kids want their names on or players name on.

noby
13/04/2005, 8:14 AM
Spot on, Cop on. It's just not practical.
Also, this season we have a sponsors name there, which is obviously more revenue.(either that or we signed a lot of Norris's)

Not having player's names on jerseys doesn't stop people from doing it anyway, if they want to. I've seen plenty of GAA jerseys with people's favourite player on the back.

I'm also a fan of the old 11 starters: 1 - 11.

Drogman.
13/04/2005, 12:11 PM
Why this hasn't been done already I'll never know. I mean one way to "jazz up" the league and make it more professional is to make all clubs have squad numbers and also put the names on the jerseys. Jesus its not that hard to do. I mean years ago when I was a wee lad, I went to London and got a velcro thingy where you got all the letters and the numbers and then you just iron them on to the back of the jersey. Now I've had that jersey for at least 10 years and its been through a lot of sh*t and its never even come close to coming off.

Its a great way to sell more jerseys and also get to know the players as well. It would be an investment in equipment as it would reap rewards in more jerseys sold than with the current way.

The current 1 - 11 system is boring now. If you want a watch players in the right position with their supposed correct numbers then go watch the GAA. Football should be more modern than that.

A face
13/04/2005, 12:24 PM
I say "shipment" because that's how it comes - suppliers will not supply any less than a good few hundred jersies at a time. You may be left with jersies for a couple of seasons - and then the jersey changes ! (never mind the players coming and going!!)

Can i just ask ..... jersey's for merchandice .....how many WOULD you think of selling .... you are giving out about a shipment as if it were a fúcking bomb or something. I take it that you'd have any particular jersey over a two year period at least.

If you are saying that a shipment ... dare i use that word again .... is too much, how many IS ENOUGH ... how many do you think any club, like Longford should have the ambition of selling ??? How many would be practical, to warrant embarking on this wonderous exploit, flogging a shipment of jersey's

Get a fúcking grip !!

"Every club should have an iron thingy-whazzit" .......... And who is going to operate it? We can barely get enough volunteers to man the souvenir shop

I grant you that ..... i might suggest look for more volunteers but that might totally flip you out altogether, but point taken

never mind spend half the night ironing names onto jersies. If kids want to get their favourite player emblazoned on the back of their replica jersey, then let them get it done, but expecting the club to stock numbered jersies with names on the back is an absolutely ludicrous suggestion!

First off .... it doesnt take half the night to iron a number and name on a jersey, provided that you can spell and you are not visually impaired then it should take no more than ten minutes. It is NOT rocket science no matter how much you try and convince everyone it is.

I never said stock jerseys with the names and numbers on them. How about put the number and name on yourself, depending on who wants them, players included.

"And never mind the players coming and going"

Answer me this ....... how many players have you had come and go from the club in the last four years, that were regulars on the first team and that fans might consider a favourite to have their name on a jersey.

I never said it would be easy, obviously there is work involved, but you'd already be stocking the jersey, if you were doing all the numbering yourself it wouldnt be a big deal and have you ever thought that it might be good for any club to provide a service .... i know you are probably saying what is this guy seriously suggesting, provide a service, value your patrons custom and try and improve the product for the punters clicking through the gates every second week. .... What is wrong with trying to improve and embark on plans that have not been tried previously. Why would you want to dismiss it straight away ?? Some people would say because you are small time, but i'd wait and see what your answer is and then decide.

Schumi
13/04/2005, 12:29 PM
i might suggest look for more volunteersGenious Face, I'd say he never thought of that!

A face
13/04/2005, 12:31 PM
Genious Face, I'd say he never thought of that!

Well Schumi, aren't you fúcking lucky that you have people like me around to point these things out to you. Never let it be said my friend ... never let it be said. ;)

pineapple stu
13/04/2005, 12:31 PM
Football should be more modern than that.

the league needs to improve ffs.
Anyone who thinks change = progress really needs their heads examined. Just because the Hype-league does something doesn't mean that it's necessarily good. Just because something is traditional doesn't mean that it's necessarily bad. When you see in games now number 34 replacing number 27, that just looks stupid. Alas, the state of the country all over now is that anyone who stands up for tradition is going to be ridiculed by people whose sole arguments are that change is synonymous with improvement. A sad state of affairs.

The current 1 - 11 system is boring now.
The current 1 to 11 was never meant to entertain. The game is meant to entertain. If you actually find the number 23 on someone's back interesting, remind me to avoid any parties you're at! If you want to watch a game where big numbers on people's jerseys provide all the excitement, go and watch American Football.

Macy
13/04/2005, 12:40 PM
Squad Numbers = Solution to all the leagues problems... FACT.

A face
13/04/2005, 12:43 PM
Anyone who thinks change = progress really needs their heads examined.

Ok ..... what happens if the old way wasn't very good and you are changing in the hope to improve !!
Does that fly in the face of progress ??

Just because something is traditional doesn't mean that it's necessarily bad.

Is that why you are defending it ????????????????

When you see in games now number 34 replacing number 27, that just looks stupid.

Why ???

Alas, the state of the country all over now is that anyone who stands up for tradition is going to be ridiculed by people whose sole arguments are that change is synonymous with improvement. A sad state of affairs.

OK ... all credit to old dog and new tricks .... are you saying that change ISNT synonymous with improvement, change is bad ..... two legs bad, four legs good ?? Man ...... is it not the case that you should look at the woods AND the fúcking trees !!! ??????????

The current 1 to 11 was never meant to entertain.

Who said that ??? The numbering system was never is question i thought ??

The game is meant to entertain.

Spot on chief ... fair dinkum !!

If you actually find the number 23 on someone's back interesting, remind me to avoid any parties you're at! If you want to watch a game where big numbers on people's jerseys provide all the excitement, go and watch American Football.

Right .... you are just waffling there fella so i'll just leave you to it !!!

And this is no where near the issue you are making it out to be !! :confused:

A face
13/04/2005, 12:47 PM

Macy ... you are totally wrong there fella ..... it doesn't go anywhere near it to be honest.

It is petty the arguments that people are putting out to defend the not putting names on jerseys ...... it is complete and utter bóllox in fact.

pineapple stu
13/04/2005, 12:48 PM
Ok ..... what happens if the old way wasn't very good and you are changing in the hope to improve !!
Does that fly in the face of progress ??
But the point is you have to consider change and decide whether or not it's worth it. Personally, I have considered this change and decided it's not an improvement. If it were an improvement, I would be for it. However, I amn't swayed simply by whether it's new or not.

Is that why you are defending it ????????????????
Emmm...no - I'm defending it because I think it's better - see above.

Why ???
Because. I think even many of the supporters of squad numbers still say how silly it is to see numbers 69, 43 and 71 wandering around a football pitch.

OK ... all credit to old dog and new tricks .... are you saying that change ISN'T synonymous with improvement, change is bad ..... two legs bad, four legs good ?? Man ...... is it not the case that you should look and the woods AND the fúcking trees !!! ??????????
Stop changing my words, A face. I would have expected better from you... :rolleyes: I said change isn't synonymous with improvement. For the slow among you (i.e. you), "synonymous" means "having the same meaning as". Change is not the same as improvement, but that does not mean that change is bad. AFter that, you've completely lost me.

Who said that ??? The numbering system was never is question i thought ??

Right .... you are just waffling there fella so i'll just leave you to it !!!
:rolleyes:

Now you've completely lost it. Please take the time to check whose post I was quoting and to whom I was talking next time...

noby
13/04/2005, 12:58 PM
The way I see it, it's more affordable to maintain a set of 1 to 20 jerseys, than individual ones for each squad member.

BUT, if clubs want to do it, I have no objection. If clubs want to provide a printing service for replica jerseys, but still play with 1-11, I would have no problem either.

A face
13/04/2005, 12:59 PM
But the point is you have to consider change and decide whether or not it's worth it. Personally, I have considered this change and decided it's not an improvement. If it were an improvement, I would be for it. However, I amn't swayed simply by whether it's new or not.

Emmm...no - I'm defending it because I think it's better - see above.

We could be here for days on this one :confused: !!

Because. I think even many of the supporters of squad numbers still say how silly it is to see numbers 69, 43 and 71 wandering around a football pitch.

Stop changing my words, A face. I would have expected better from you... :rolleyes: I said change isn't synonymous with improvement. For the slow among you (i.e. you), "synonymous" means "having the same meaning as". Change is not the same as improvement, but that does not mean that change is bad. AFter that, you've completely lost me.

Chríst above ..... i am not getting into this one, there is no way you can expect me to either, ffs.

Although .... you say that you looked at it, and thought better of it .... fair play. My argument/gripe was with people suggesting it was mad even considering it, do you know the effort it takes, do you know how much we like to bítch and moan and those type arguments.

Now you've completely lost it. Please take the time to check whose post I was quoting and to whom I was talking next time...

Fair play .... didnt read the post properly. Ignore that part ... thats great, thanx !!! ;)

Schumi
13/04/2005, 1:07 PM
:rolleyes: Jesus lads, get a room (preferably soundproof).

Éanna
13/04/2005, 1:22 PM
:D :D I don't get the "It's more professional" argument. Why is it more professional? Who decides this? Personally I think squad numbers are handy, but I don't see the big deal. There should be a decision made on it though- either no-one uses them, or everyone does.

LFC in Exile
13/04/2005, 3:07 PM
Lads, have you considered that if it made financial sense clubs would do it. The fact that so few have should suggest that it doesn't make sense financially. Cork City tried squad numbers recently - not sure if they still do. There are a lot of City jersies around the city. I think I might have seen half a dozen with the name and number of a player on the back. :ball:

Drogman.
13/04/2005, 3:22 PM
Well it does look a bit more professional. I mean first off, and I know this may look at bit silly but it would make it easier for commentators to recognise a player rather than coming out with the usual, "and its the Drogheda No:5 that clears it".

Why would No:27 replacing No:36 be stupid? Why is breaking from the norm or traditional not a good thing?

Look at the premiersh*te across the water. In 1993 when it was created they began sticking names on jerseys and then everybody knew each player and then numbers became synonymous (See I can use big words too :) ) with the players who wore them.

Even in the good old US of A the number 23 is known as the one Micahel Jordan used to famously wear.

I mean if people like the current way then fine but I hate this boll*cks about it not being any good and it doesn't help the league!!

A change must happen if the league and clubs wants to create some sort of image for itself.

pineapple stu
13/04/2005, 3:43 PM
Well it does look a bit more professional.
Any reason? I don't think it does at all.

I mean first off, and I know this may look at bit silly but it would make it easier for commentators to recognise a player rather than coming out with the usual, "and it's the Drogheda No:5 that clears it".
You're right - it does sound silly! :) Commentators and press all get free programmes and team sheets and take the teams down as they're called out. Some (not many where the eL is concerned!) even do research and work out the likely line-up. Changing the numbers isn't going to help any bit!

Look at the premiersh*te across the water.
I think this is probably something to do with why I don't like squad numbers - I associate them with cynical money-grabbing hype and Sky. I don't want to see our league follow everything Sky do blindly just because they did it and so it's cool. Probably too much of a barstooler attitude to be honest!

In 1993 when it was created they began sticking names on jerseys and then everybody knew each player and then numbers became synonymous (See I can use big words too :) ) with the players who wore them.
You can use big words alright - you can use them properly too! :)

Who cares about a number being synonymous with a player though? Firstly, that happened anyway - Dalglish's number 7, Rush's number 9, etc. It still happens - Roy Keane is 6 for Ireland, etc.

Even in the good old US of A the number 23 is known as the one Micahel Jordan used to famously wear.
You obviously don't know my views about most things American! ;)

A change must happen if the league and clubs wants to create some sort of image for itself.
A change must happen - I agree there. However - putting bigger numbers on jerseys? There's far better ways for the league to improve. Clubs not withholding transfer fees, not paying wages, not going into examinership, getting new grounds - all those are far more important than changing the numbers on a jersey just because Sky did it.

Slash/ED
13/04/2005, 4:35 PM
The EL leagues big problem is image, people look at it and think it's rubbish mainly not because of the standard of play (Though they will try and convince you otherwise) but because the whole image looks poor. Be that some stadiums looking awful on the TV or whatever. However little it would help, everyone having squad numbers would help. It would just improve the image of the whole league and make the matches present that little bit better on the TV, and every little bit helps.

Bizzarely afaik Shels have the equipment in Tolka Park to put the names on the backs of the jersys and if you buy a replica shirt from the Umbro shop in Tolka you can get the name and number put on too, but choose not to use it for the players (Except for both legs of the Lille game last year). I think that's odd, if the players wore squad numbers it'd make people more likely to buy the new jersys and get their heroes name on the back, I'm talking espically about younger fans here, so if anything could help bring in a bit of money anyway.

But overall it just looks better and presentation is the one area that holds the EL back. Obviously there's better things to be doing like Stu mentioned but this seems a very pratical way to make a bit of an improvement image-wise.

Bald Student
13/04/2005, 5:24 PM
I agree with most of what you say Slash but I think that the only reason that putting names on the back of the shirts might look better is because that's what's done in England.

A lot of people would think that if you do something differently to the EPL then it is automatically worse. I don't agree with that attitude and I personally prefer to see players numbered 1 to 11.

The irish natonal teams in soccer and rugby both number their players according to positions and they are both modern professional teams. My point is that there is nothing old or unprofessional about numbering according to positions.

Slash/ED
13/04/2005, 5:39 PM
My point is that there is nothing old or unprofessional about numbering according to positions.

I agree but that's me and you, who are already EL fans. The point is to alot of people it does look old and unprofessional, like the conference in England or something. I think the image of the league needs to improve to get fans in and this could do a tiny bit to help there, only a tiny bit, but it would have an impact none the less.

SligoRoversfan
13/04/2005, 6:54 PM
i have cretaro,mctiernan on the back of 2 of my shirts

Bosco
13/04/2005, 10:06 PM
Have to agree with Slashed.As much as others may not like it,the El becoming more like the EPL in anyway is a good thing.To a Bar-Stooler the El looks unprofessional,this is down to many things but the fact that when they see Premiership players wearing squad numbers and they see El players wearing 1-11,they see the el as crap because to them the Premiership is the greatest thing in the world.It maybe a bar-stoolers attitude but aren't the bar-stoolers the ones we are trying to attract???????

noby
14/04/2005, 7:43 AM
As much as others may not like it,the El becoming more like the EPL in anyway is a good thing.

What a very perculiar statement.
So the eL should just become a premiership-lite, to keep all the 'barsoolers' happy. What about improving our own image/identity?

I don't think a 1-11 team looks any more unprofessional. I also don't buy the commentators excuse (rugby/gaa have 1-15)

There's still nothing to stop club shops printing jerseys with a couple of the more popular players/numbers to sell to people who want it.(eg for us a few Frost/3, Murphy/9 jerseys would sell, as they are their 'usual' numbers)

Bald Student
14/04/2005, 1:36 PM
Where do I start ??By using the quote button properly. I couldn't make head nor tail of your last post.

A face
14/04/2005, 1:41 PM
You are living with your head up your a$$. How many jersies do you think a club like ours can sell in a season ?? Its not bloody Man. Utd. you're talking about you know. The manufacturers will only supply something like 500/1000 at a time. How easy do you think it is to shift this amount of stock ??

Can you answer my question first ...... how many jerseys in a season do you think you should sell ??

Just a number !!

pete
14/04/2005, 2:04 PM
IMO eL Premier division clubs should try to have names on jerseys. Been debated many times before but apparently looks more professional & will halp sunshine supporters to identify with their clubs.

Question: Whats the highest squad number worn by an eL player? Anybody wearing 40-something?

Bald Student
14/04/2005, 2:20 PM
Anybody wearing 40-something?I remember Pat's fielding a number 46 a few years back.

Drogman.
14/04/2005, 2:59 PM
I think this is probably something to do with why I don't like squad numbers - I associate them with cynical money-grabbing hype and Sky. I don't want to see our league follow everything Sky do blindly just because they did it and so it's cool. Probably too much of a barstooler attitude to be honest!

Barstooler attitude?? This is whats holding the league back. People who think that staying the same and keeping it different from everything else makes "our" league look cooler etc... If people took their heads out of their ar*es then we might be getting somewhere. I mean I have been trying for years to get people to come along to EL games and telling them that the live match night experience is better than your barstooling on a sunday afternoon but then you have people like Pine Stu calling them as*holes and telling them to bugger off? How can anyone win???

My argument is not just on getting names on jerseys. What about having the little EL badge on the upper sleeve of the jersey. Very few clubs have them and with us we seem to only have one set of jersey's with them on. Fair enough it may not make it look more professional but as Slash said it does improve the image a alot.

pineapple stu
14/04/2005, 3:09 PM
then you have people like Pine Stu calling them as*holes and telling them to bugger off? How can anyone win???
Would you care to point out exactly where I've said that? 'Cos I don't recall saying it.

If you can't win an argument, sure you can always make something up... :rolleyes:

A lot of genuine football fans in England are concerned about the way the league has gone in the last ten/fifteen years - read the likes of When Saturday Comes, for example. Maybe you think we should rename the First Division the Championship, have a song on the tannoy after every goal scored (I know some clubs do that already - a pox on them...) and do all the other things the English league does?

I've always been of the belief - not just in football - that things shouldn't change just to suit the newcomers. It's called tradition, and I see no problems with it. That's a long way from your accusation that I'm calling them arseholes.

Incidentally, no-one has offered a proper argument for the jerseys other than the highly subjective - and unsubstatiated - view that they're more professional. Anything better to be offered?

Bald Student
14/04/2005, 3:36 PM
If people took their heads out of their ar*es then we might be getting somewhere

you have people like Pine Stu calling them as*holes and telling them to bugger off?Maybe if you toned down your own descriptions of people you don't agree with your criticism of Pine Stu's attitude would carry more weight.

Drogman.
15/04/2005, 12:49 PM
Ah lads, ok you may have not said the exact words but how can the league improve their image? How can clubs improve their image?

I mean your asking for people to give a good argument for putting names on jerseys but all you have to say on how to improve the image of the league is to keep with tradition! I mean tradition is fine, we all need it, but it only goes so far, after that new idea's and improvements need to be done.

Now whether thats taking somthing that has already been done and applying it for ourselves or coming up with something new is another problem.

I agree that accross the water with the changing of the First Division name and all that is c*ck and should never be applied to here but the likes of names on jerseys, thats hardly giving in to the Sky loving barstooler brigade, is it?