PDA

View Full Version : still/joy division

the 12 th man
11/04/2005, 9:11 PM
just wondering does anybody have this gem of a cd/lp from the manchester ground breakers.

it stands the test of time superbly

Gerrit
12/04/2005, 10:59 PM
I think Ian Curtis is one of the most fascinating persons in music scene ever, along with amongst others Morrissey of the same era.

It's remarkable how brilliant art (music and others) is often created by those who cope with depression or other mental struggles. Then on the other hand you got a whole different sight on life if you go through things like that, you learn to know true misery and at the same time recognise what's really important in life, while others tend to make a huge problem out of rather trivial things. While someone for whom life is a big party will *sorry* usually be a bit more shallow in his views on life, people who have their troubles tend to see it all from a different angle.

Ack, life is (partly) suffering, and people like Morrissey and Curtis have the guts to face it. "Love will tear us apart" sounds so different if you know that not being able to chose between two women was one of the things that finally got Curtis on his knees, I still got the shivers when hearing the line "when routine bites hard and ambition is low". So beautifully dramatic in all its simplicity.

the 12 th man
14/04/2005, 3:50 PM
. "Love will tear us apart" sounds so different if you know that not being able to chose between two women was one of the things that finally got Curtis on his knees, I still got the shivers when hearing the line "when routine bites hard and ambition is low". So beautifully dramatic in all its simplicity.

heard a dreadful version of that this morning on the radio .
slow version with loads of piano by honey something? to be released at the end of this month. :(

fosterdollar
15/04/2005, 8:49 AM
Moby's take on NewOrder's Temptation on his new album is criminal

Dublin12
15/04/2005, 9:05 AM
The version of Love will tear us apart is from Nouvelle Vague,they are on that ad on TV at the moment with the cheesy cover of I just can't get enough(depeche mode),they have an album of 80's covers out, in fairness some of the versions are actually quite good.

Joy Division had a remastered live album a couple of years ago from Paris,this is well worth getting,the sound is top quality and it makes them sound really heavy,thay sound like Tool,worth checking out.

aidz1
15/04/2005, 9:05 AM
anyone get a listen to the new order's new album ?
worth a purchase?

fosterdollar
15/04/2005, 9:16 AM
anyone get a listen to the new order's new album ?
worth a purchase?

Havent listened to the whole album but it seems to be a straight forward follow-on to Get Ready i.e. nice to listen to every so often but not very hard-hitting

Dublin12
15/04/2005, 9:21 AM
The single from it is very poor imo.

Gerrit
17/04/2005, 1:10 AM
New Order I haven't heard enough to judge, though can't imagine they don't lack the charismatic person that Ian Curtis was.

It's like the Smiths reuniting with another guy than Morrissey.