PDA

View Full Version : please, help me about national anthem

tonycuna
11/04/2005, 7:39 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm an italian boy, 21y old, who support Ireland national team.
I'll be in Lansdowne Road next 17th august, to see ireland play against italy.
I'll be in south terrace, giving all myself to sing for our irishmen onto the pitch.
I just need a help from anyone of you, cause I dont know gaelic, but I want to sing the national anthem with all the other people in Lansdowne.

So, could anyone of you answer me, writing the words of national anthem not in gaelic (I've already that words), but as well as I've to sing them.

You know, I need how I've to pronounce them. :o

Thank you very much ;)

always c'mon Ireland!

sligoman
11/04/2005, 7:41 PM
You're an Ireland and a Cobh fan? :confused:

tonycuna
11/04/2005, 7:44 PM
yes!
I support Cobh Ramblers, although I'm a very very fan of Arsenal

About Ireland, I love it, and I support with all myself the national team!

Is this strange in your opinion? :o

Colie
11/04/2005, 8:18 PM
You might find it a bit strange that you're one of only a few people singing it!

Fair play to ya bud, you're making a right effort.

This is the bit we sing at the games, Gaeilge atop, phonetic below:

Sinne Fianna Fail, ata faoi gheall ag Eirinn;
Sheena Feena Fal, a-taw fay yal egg air-in;

buion d'ar slua thar toinn do rainigh chugainn. Faoi mhoid bheith saor,
bween dor slooa har tin duh raw-nig hoo-een. Fwee voedj veh sayr,

sean-tir ar sinnsear feasta, ni fhagfar faoin tioran na faoin traill;
shan teer are shin-sher fas-ta, nee fawg-ferr fween tee-rawn naw fween troyl,

Anocht a theam sa bhearna bhaoil, le gean ar Ghaeil chun bas no saoil;
ah-nocht ah hay-im sah varina vweel, le gyan err Gwail khun boss no sayl;

le gunna screach faoi lamhach na bpilear, seo libh canaig Amhran na bhFiann.
le gon-nuh shkrayk fay lawch na bill-air, shuh liv kah-nig Aw-rawn na bhFiann

Credit where credit's due: http://www.div8aoh.homestead.com/Soldierssong.html

tonycuna
11/04/2005, 8:25 PM
Thank you very very much

I'll put it on my mind!

C'mon! :)

eirebhoy
11/04/2005, 8:34 PM
a bit clearer: :)

Sinne Fianna Fáil, (Sheena Feena fall)
Atá Fá gheall ag Éirinn, (A-taw fay yal egg air-in)
Buidhean dár sluagh tar rúinn do ráinig chughainn (bween dor slooa, har tin duh raw-nig hween.)
Fámhoídh bheírh saor, (Fwee voij vay sair)
Sean-tír ár sinnsear feasta (shan teer are shin-sher fas-ta)
Ní fágfar fá'n tíorán ná fa'n tráil; (nee fawg-ferr fween tear-on naw fween troyl)
Anocht a theigeamh sa bhearna baoghail, (ah-nocht ah hay-im sah varna vweel)
Le gean ar Gaedhí chun báis nó saoghail, (le gyan err Gwail khun boss no sayl)
Le gunna sgréach: Fá lamhach na piléar. (le gon-nuh shkrayk fay law-voc na bill-air)
Seo Libh canaidh amhrán na bhFiann. (shuh liv konig Aw-rawn na bhFiann)

and people, if an Italian is willing to learn it and sing it, surely everyone on this board has to know it by now. Although, I'd guess at about 40%.

livehead1
11/04/2005, 9:52 PM
i think this fellas pullin the **** boys,lol

Green Tribe
11/04/2005, 10:00 PM
i think this fellas pullin the **** boys,lol

no he is not, i have seen him on before chatting about ireland, keep your knickers on livehead! :rolleyes:

Cowboy
12/04/2005, 8:14 AM
Ciao Paddy, italiano molto piacevole. Buon affinchè facciano lo sforzo.

Forza Irlanda :)

Peadar
12/04/2005, 8:53 AM
Forza Irlanda!

Non lo impressionate Tuff Paddy, voi lánger! Posso vedere attraverso la vostra impressione falsa. :D

Peadar
12/04/2005, 9:52 AM
And it's not even 11am!! :D

It's nearly 11am already!?
Jaysus this night has flown by! ;)

Green Tribe
12/04/2005, 4:11 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm an italian boy, 21yrs old, who supports the Irish national team.
I'll be in Lansdowne Road on the 17th of august, to see ireland play against italy.
I'll be on the south terrace, giving my all singing for our irishmen coming onto the pitch.
I just need help from anyone, because I dont know gaelic, but I want to sing the national anthem with all the other people in Lansdowne.

So, could any of you answer me, writing the words of national anthem not in gaelic (I already have those words), but how you actually sing them.

You know, I need to know how to pronounce them. :o

Thank you very much ;)

c'mon Ireland!

ironic here i know, but just a wee correction on your english

please help me with the national anthem/ not 'about'

i assume you would be happy with the correction, not offended? i hope :D
ciao bello! ;)

tonycuna
12/04/2005, 7:35 PM
no problem with the correction, I always need it ;)

I just want to add that my love for Ireland is really true, cause in Italy we have a national team without temperament, and apart from football, I love irish spirit sincerely. :)

-Tanti saluti a Tuff Paddy e Cowboy, grazie per il vostro sostegno, forza Irlanda!- :)

I hope you'll can accept me as an irish, despite I wasn't born in Ireland :o

Many cheers to you all

Forza Irlanda! - C'mon Ireland!

Green Tribe
12/04/2005, 7:51 PM

I just want to add that my love for Ireland is really true, cause in Italy we have a national team without temperament, and apart from football, I love irish spirit sincerely.

-Tanti saluti a Tuff Paddy e Cowboy, grazie per il vostro sostegno, forza Irlanda!-

Many cheers to you all

Forza Irlanda! - C'mon Ireland!

Prego, Don Cuna! :D Would be better to say 'without passion' in this case instead of temperament.

...I hope you'll accept me...

Sorry, I have an Italian flatmate and it is just like a habit now for me correcting him :D

We accept anyone who supports Ireland here!! Benvenuti! (spelling??)

tonycuna
12/04/2005, 8:01 PM
We accept anyone who supports Ireland here!! Benvenuti! (spelling??)

it's right.
just "benvenuto" coz it's singular. ;)

Cheers! :)

Green Tribe
12/04/2005, 8:19 PM
it's right.
just "benvenuto" coz it's singular. ;)

Cheers! :)

Grazie ! Do you have any jokes about people from San Remo? My flatmate is from there and it is so easy to wind him up (he takes jokes seriously :D ) It provides some entertainment in the evenings when we all have dinner! :D

tonycuna
12/04/2005, 8:31 PM
Grazie ! Do you have any jokes about people from San Remo? My flatmate is from there and it is so easy to wind him up (he takes jokes seriously :D ) It provides some entertainment in the evenings when we all have dinner! :D

I don't know,
I just think about a words-trick,
you can tell him : "San Remo ---> San Scemo" :D
('scemo', in english: silly or stupid)
;)

Green Tribe
12/04/2005, 8:34 PM
I don't know,
I just think about a words-trick,
you can tell him : "San Remo ---> San Scemo" :D
('scemo', in english: silly or stupid)
;)

shall try it out, anything to see him explode, it is sooooo funny!! :D

Cowboy
12/04/2005, 8:46 PM
-Tanti saluti a Tuff Paddy e Cowboy, grazie per il vostro sostegno, forza Irlanda!- :)

Prego il mio amico

sylvo
13/04/2005, 8:27 AM
[QUOTE=tonycuna]

I know where your coming from there I have too say, I sometimes get ''how come your not at Wembley'' from some of the uneducated who have not learned about the word Emigration, so you may get ''how come your not at the Stadio Del Alpi'' or ''the San Siro'', even though Italy will be playing us.

Cowboy
13/04/2005, 8:54 AM

Neither was I

lopez
13/04/2005, 9:26 AM
Neither was I...and neither were Eamon De Valera, Erskine Childers Jr. (Presidents of Ireland), Robert Erskine Childers, James Connolly (Participants in the war of independence), Sean MacStiofain (former IRA chief of Staff), Jim Larkin (Trade unionist), Liam McCarthy (Hurling cup named after), Johnny Logan (Singer (??)), and of course a couple of Irish footballers at least. ;)

tonycuna
13/04/2005, 9:33 AM
I know where your coming from there I have too say, I sometimes get ''how come your not at Wembley'' from some of the uneducated who have not learned about the word Emigration, so you may get ''how come your not at the Stadio Del Alpi'' or ''the San Siro'', even though Italy will be playing us.

I know,
but if I decided to see Ireland the day we play against Italy, it's just cause the last week I've seen on ticketmaster.ie the chance to buy terraces tickets.
It could be against Italy or against China.

I've been in San Siro (not bad), I've been in Delle Alpi (bad), in my life.
I've been also in front of Wembley two months before the demolition started and my heart pumped up and I was so excited, maybe also emotioned. :rolleyes:

But I've always had this dream: be in Lansdowne and support Ireland. And probably, support Ireland against italian team (that I really hate) will make that the best day in my life :)

blobbyblob
13/04/2005, 9:39 AM
Johnny Logan .

Heah, steady on - Johnny's from Kilkenny

blobbyblob
13/04/2005, 9:42 AM
But I've always had this dream: be in Lansdowne and support Ireland. And probably, support Ireland against italian team (that I really hate) will make that the best day in my life :)

I hereby change your name from Tony Cuna to Tony Cooney from Connemara

Welcome on board. Ole Ole

lopez
13/04/2005, 9:48 AM
Heah, steady on - Johnny's from KilkennyBorn Seán Patrick Michael Sherrard in Melbourne, Australia, although he obviously grew up in Ireland with his voice. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Logan_%28singer%29

tonycuna
13/04/2005, 9:50 AM

Thanks!

Tony Cooney is very nice!! I like it!! ;)

the 12 th man
13/04/2005, 10:03 AM
Heah, steady on - Johnny's from Kilkenny

cool it there guys.
the last thing we want is a flame war about johnny logan :D :eek: :cool:

Junior
13/04/2005, 2:01 PM

Anto for short. :D

strangeirish
13/04/2005, 2:24 PM
And look out for your tracksuit with the three stripes on it in the mail :D

Green Tribe
13/04/2005, 3:44 PM
Tony Cooney is what we need, at least he is prepared to sing our anthem out loud, when some others are too embarassed!

Forza Cooney :D

boysingreen
13/04/2005, 5:27 PM
Thomas Clarke (one of leaders of 1916, one of the 7 signataries on the Proclamation of Irish Independence) is another good example. Born in England. There's a great story, if I remember right when he was registering to vote or something. The official asked him where he was born, he struggled and said England. "So you're an Englishmen?" I don't recall how the wording went thereafter, suffice to say Clarke had to raise his voice. He lived in New York for a time, and also became an American citizen. But there was no two ways about it, as he corrected your man, he was an Irishman.

Love that story. Born and raised in New York myself, parents are from Leitrim. I've been over and back to Ireland since I was born, raised in New York but no doubt an Irish home. We know New York and the history of the Irish. Yet some people still have the balls to tell me I'm not Irish. You can take a lot of things away from a man, but you can never take that.

I was thinking the other day. Born in America, so the people that grudge my Irishness say I'm only American. What if I was born of Irish-born parents (as I was), not in America, but China? Would people be so forthright in saying you're not Irish, you're Chinese?

tonycuna
13/04/2005, 5:32 PM
Tony Cooney is what we need, at least he is prepared to sing our anthem out loud, when some others are too embarassed!

Forza Cooney :D

I'm not already prepared :p

But i'm doing exercise about that and for august I'll be ready to sing! ;)

Junior
13/04/2005, 5:45 PM
I was thinking the other day. Born in America, so the people that grudge my Irishness say I'm only American. What if I was born of Irish-born parents (as I was), not in America, but China? Would people be so forthright in saying you're not Irish, you're Chinese?

I think the same people that do it now, would do it if you were born in China -why wouldn't they?

I would estimate that 99% of people who say you're not Irish, say so on the basis of your accent alone?

lopez
13/04/2005, 6:21 PM
I would estimate that 99% of people who say you're not Irish, say so on the basis of your accent alone?Absolutely. Think Cowboy said exactly the same on another thread elsewhere before. My Conchita had eleqution lessons when she started secondary school over here and it rid her of her lovely Cork brogue. :D Excuse from all around was because it might get her banged up for a bombing she didn't do (Eg: Patrick Maguire. International terrorist at 12...not :rolleyes: ) but it's ironic now as it's one of the most sought after, cum-tastic accents around for a lady to possess. :eek: Anyway, she went back to Cork about three years later and some b*tch wouldn't serve her in the local shop (Hunger Strike time) because she thought Conchita was a tan. :mad: As she says: 'It's great to be told to f*ck off in both countries.'

boysingreen
13/04/2005, 6:23 PM
I think the same people that do it now, would do it if you were born in China -why wouldn't they?

I would estimate that 99% of people who say you're not Irish, say so on the basis of your accent alone?

Don't know how to rephrase the America / China proposition, but I think you get the gist.

And you're right about the accent. Apparently people can deduce down to the core of one's being from it. They know everything about you the moment you crack your lips.

Cowboy
13/04/2005, 7:21 PM
Don't know how to rephrase the America / China proposition, but I think you get the gist.

And you're right about the accent. Apparently people can deduce down to the core of one's being from it. They know everything about you the moment you crack your lips.

OT : do you watch "Rescue me" on Tv with Denis Leary? crackin show full of irishmen

Junior
14/04/2005, 11:18 AM
A follow up to this point is that of 2nd generation Africans or Asians. If they were to get into a discussion with Joe Bloggs in a street in Manchester or Dublin of how they were Jamaican or Indian I don't think it would be questioned, despite the fact that they may have been born in bleedin Norwich (is this a skin colour thing?)

However, perhaps they would get the same sort of tripe we 2nd g Irish get from 1st generation Jamaican or Indians - I'm not sure if they do?

lopez
14/04/2005, 11:56 AM
A follow up to this point is that of 2nd generation Africans or Asians. If they were to get into a discussion with Joe Bloggs in a street in Manchester or Dublin of how they were Jamaican or Indian I don't think it would be questioned, despite the fact that they may have been born in bleedin Norwich (is this a skin colour thing?)

However, perhaps they would get the same sort of tripe we 2nd g Irish get from 1st generation Jamaican or Indians - I'm not sure if they do?In my experience I think the Afro-Carribeans would but I don't think it's the case with Asians (Muslims at least). Being half Spanish, I haven't received the same cr*p from my relatives in Spain as a kid as I've heard numerous 2G have in Ireland (Most of my father's relations - including three aunties - were based in the salubrious parts of your world, Junior, known as Moss Side and (later) Hulme, so it never came up). The things they'd comment on were my Spanish speaking etc., although one cousin used to call all of us (including my mother and aunt) 'Los Ingles' although this was not meant in a derogatory way. Also, all the Spanish that I know who were born in Britain of two Spanish parents (including a cousin of mine) were all registered at birth with the Spanish Embassy and not with the local registry office. Such action suggests to me that these parents never saw their children as British despite them being born in Britain.

boysingreen
14/04/2005, 1:11 PM
In the same vein as the above, if your born of an Irish-born parent, doesn't matter where, you're an Irish citizen. Whether or not you proceed to get it documented is your parents choice, or yours when you get older.

And about Denis Leary, personally was never crazy about him. As a side note, do name's like "Leary" bother anybody else. Is it not O'Leary !

Cowboy
14/04/2005, 2:00 PM
I
And about Denis Leary, personally was never crazy about him. As a side note, do name's like "Leary" bother anybody else. Is it not O'Leary !

Hmm i find this disapointing and ironic given your ealier comments, surely he can call himself whatever he wants and still be irish.

tonycuna
14/04/2005, 4:04 PM
wow!!!
i received the ticket for the match against italy this morning!!
:p :)

i'm so excited!!

just a question:
what's the meaning of that two numbers near "South Terrace" printing?

thanx!

ole ole!

Schumi
14/04/2005, 4:11 PM
just a question:
what's the meaning of that two numbers near "South Terrace" printing?
It's just the ticket number effectively. It doesn't mean anything with regard to where you stand or anything.

boysingreen
14/04/2005, 5:08 PM
Hmm i find this disapointing and ironic given your ealier comments, surely he can call himself whatever he wants and still be irish.

People react differently to emigration. You can see the whole spectrum covered in one group of brothers and sisters, my own family is one example. Parents came from Leitrim to New York. My father held onto being Irish tighter than ever (over and back all the time, brought us by the hand with him, had us in Irish dancing, playing the tin whistle, the whole nine, never said a bad word about Ireland), his brother left Ireland behind him in some ways (seldom returns, finds he doesn't know or remember many when he does, has given Ireland plenty of stick). Needless to say the two used to argue like hell.

Their sister on the other hand is very patriotic with regards to both Ireland and America.

I'm not saying there's one wrong or right way to go, just people react differently. With a more traditionalist-minded father, names like "Leary" just irk me. Personally, the like remind me of dire times in history, when people felt pressure to sever Irish ties whether it be in choice of name, consciously trying to change one's accent, or whatever. Would such thoughts not leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth? Not of contempt for those who gave way, but that they were put in such a position.

As far as not particularly liking Denis Leary, it's not about his surname. I'm a fan of Conan O'Brien (another Irish-American comic). They both poke fun at their Irish Catholic upbringing, but Conan's is more good-humored while Leary is more in your face. He just sorta rubs me the wrong way.

Cowboy
14/04/2005, 5:14 PM
Fair enough but I dont think we can judge how others choose to express their Irishness. Dennis Leary BTW spends a month touring Kerry every year visiting relations who I'm pretty sure are called Leary's too so maybe it was not a deliberate name change.

Anyway sorry for side tracking the thread

tonycuna
14/04/2005, 5:25 PM
It's just the ticket number effectively. It doesn't mean anything with regard to where you stand or anything.

Thanks for your answer,
it will be my first match at Lansdowne, despite I've been there two years ago.

Anyway, I can't wait! :p :p
I feel wonderful if I think that I'll see Ireland @Lansdowne! wow!

boysingreen
14/04/2005, 11:27 PM
Dennis Leary BTW spends a month touring Kerry every year visiting relations

News to me. TBH suppose I never really gave 'em much a chance. I must of caught some joke of his that didn't sit well, and had this notion that he didn't have much Irish connections and only ran the Irish down. Such a notion combined with his style of comedy would make him hard to warm to, especially for a sometimes hard-nosed person like myself. However, you've proved my notion wrong.

Back to the thread, good to hear Tony Cooney. I'm hoping to get to the match myself. If I don't get to the Israel one, it'll be my first match at Lansdowne too. Hopefully it'll be my 2nd :D

lopez
15/04/2005, 12:57 AM
And about Denis Leary, personally was never crazy about him. As a side note, do name's like "Leary" bother anybody else. Is it not O'Leary !Surely Denis Laoghaire?

I like DL. I first saw him circa 1989 on this alternative comedy show in Britain called Satuday Night Live or something (not to be confused with the US version with Chevy Chase, Ackroyd, Chris Rock etc). Alternative was a breath of fresh air in that I didn't have to sit through 'Paddy' and 'Chalky' jokes. Anyway Laoghaire pops up and its New Kids On The Block era and says 'those NKOTB. They wouldn't know a vagina if it came up and kicked them in the nuts (etc.).' I was watching VH1 the other day and NKOTB popped up with their 'Oh, oh, oh, ohhh. Right Stuff' cojones and I still think of DL. BTW, I thought NKOTB were KNOBS :D :D :D :o at first but the fair haired bloke made me laugh on some 'I remember 1989' show doing his mother with her Kerry accent on the first time she saw her Jimmy on the box.

davey
15/04/2005, 11:19 AM
I like DL. I first saw him circa 1989 on this alternative comedy show in Britain called Satuday Night Live or something (not to be confused with the US version with Chevy Chase, Ackroyd, Chris Rock etc). Alternative was a breath of fresh air in that I didn't have to sit through 'Paddy' and 'Chalky' jokes. Anyway Laoghaire pops up and its New Kids On The Block era and says 'those NKOTB. They wouldn't know a vagina if it came up and kicked them in the nuts (etc.).' I was watching VH1 the other day and NKOTB popped up with their 'Oh, oh, oh, ohhh. Right Stuff' cojones and I still think of DL. BTW, I thought NKOTB were KNOBS :D :D :D :o at first but the fair haired bloke made me laugh on some 'I remember 1989' show doing his mother with her Kerry accent on the first time she saw her Jimmy on the box.

Probably going a bit off topic here but I like Dennis Leary. His Irish credentials seem pretty genuine to me. Love his "No cure for cancer" set circa 92??. Outstanding rants about drugs, the french and a lovely homage to his Dad which I think most 2g could relate to. The mania for building!!

Éanna
15/04/2005, 11:32 AM
Any chance of someone forwarding this thread onto Clinton "Republic of where" Morrison and Matt "God Save the Queen" Holland, so they can learn it too- I'm sure a few other "Irish" players would avail of it too :rolleyes: