PDA

View Full Version : Nicest EL stadiums

Pages : [1] 2

Gerrit
11/04/2005, 4:51 PM
As a groundhopper and collector of stadium pics, I think a decent foot forum needs a stadium topic :) So here it is.

Which would you consider as the nicest Eircom League stadiums ? And what do you think of Lansdowne Road as a soccer venue ?

I can't judge on every ground as I live in Ireland since August only, but I did every game with Shelbourne since then, and this is my judgement.

SHELS: nice ground, comfortable and compact. Maybe a bit too open on one side, but still. Nice location on the boards of the river Tolka. 8/10

BOHS: very nice ground. A pity that the one stand behind the goal cannot be used anymore, and that parking space besides the visitors' stand is annoying. But the main stand and the stand behind the one goal are extremely nice. 8/10

DERRY: very nice new stand, the other side looks less cosy but I do like the looks of old stadiums where history floats around. Very atmospheric as well. 8/10

LONGFORD: way too open, except for the main stand it's all uncovered. Not cosy and located in the middle of nowhere. 5/10

CORK: very nice ground, all the way. Just a bit too open maybe behind that one goal opposite the Cork ultras, but the stands are all very comfortable and look great. 8.5/10

DROGHEDA: not my favourite at all. Nothing behind the goals, visitors stand not cosy at all. 4/10

ST PATS: nice main stand, the rest of the stadium is too open so the atmosphere's going nowhere. 5/10

Buller
11/04/2005, 5:32 PM
ROVERS: Nice ground in tallaght.. great stand, lack of seats though, bit too open too.. 7/10

ollie
11/04/2005, 5:39 PM
ROVERS: Nice ground in tallaght.. great stand, lack of seats though, bit too open too.. 7/10

..and not that cosy ;)

sligoman
11/04/2005, 6:15 PM
The Showgrounds-Great stadium with good seating-7/10

Finn Park-Harp's fans should be glad they're moving soon, terrible stadium-3/10

Terryland Park-One nice stand but other than that nothing too good, just surrounded by walls(one with crap art on it too :D ).- 4/10

Tolka Park-Good stadium-8/10

St. Mel's Park(or whatever it's called now :rolleyes: )-CRAP with MUCK!- 3/10

Flancare Park-Nice-7/10

Iorfa
11/04/2005, 6:15 PM
BLUES: Way too open, decent main stand but too far from the pitch and nothing else to go with it. Stupid athletics track too. 3/10

1 9 2 8
11/04/2005, 6:26 PM
The Showgrounds (http://ifgrounds.com/showgrounds01.jpg)

GalwayFrancis
11/04/2005, 7:12 PM
The Showgrounds (http://ifgrounds.com/showgrounds01.jpg)

state of that place, at least we have some class

sligoman
11/04/2005, 7:27 PM
state of that place, at least we have some class

:D :D :D . Sh!te team, Sh!te ground, some class ha? :D

Snoop Drog
11/04/2005, 11:35 PM
Oriel Park, as of today:

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/anthropology/people/faculty/brow/Srilankaimages/kukulewapaddycult/tractor_plough.jpg

Kerry Blue
12/04/2005, 4:26 AM
Oriel Park, as of today:

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/anthropology/people/faculty/brow/Srilankaimages/kukulewapaddycult/tractor_plough.jpg
:eek:
And we're supposed to be playing there next week!
Hope that chap is finished by then. Won't be a great game with a tractor on the 'pitch'. :D :D

Lim till i die
12/04/2005, 10:49 AM
St. Mels = Hole with sand
St. Colmans = Hole with slant
Showgrounds = Hole with one alrite stand
Carlisle Grounds = Hole with knacker children
Oriel Park = Hole with no pitch
Rathbane = Hole but improving
Century Homes Park = Hole with no fans

Notice a bit of a trend in the league? :D

bluemovie
12/04/2005, 11:25 AM
RSC, Waterford - The Theatre of Dreams. Excellent stadium appropriate for the Top of the Table outfit. Very airy, good for people with breathing difficulties. Running track reflects the Olympian achievements of the athletes in blue. A wondrous place where eleven magicians perform miracles for the masses every second Friday.

Bald Student
12/04/2005, 12:00 PM
Century Homes Park = Hole with no fansNice bar though.

The only away game last year (and possibly ever) where UCD fans outnumbered the home support.

KR's Post
12/04/2005, 12:09 PM
Carlisle Grounds = Hole with knacker children

No need for it!! :mad:

Macy
12/04/2005, 12:11 PM
tis true though...

harry crumb
12/04/2005, 12:16 PM
Ive only been to a a few stadiums in the league. By and large they are all ugly.

Dalymount : good main stand, the rest is falling down
Tolka : best ground in the country, but thats not saying much
Bellfield : The stand is like a circus stand.
RSC : One good stand. No atmosphere 'cause of running track
Richmond Park : stadium of ****e
St. Colmans Park : makes richmond look good
Turners Cross : 2nd best ground. Needs the St. Annes end to be covered.

wws
12/04/2005, 12:20 PM
pats ground is the best of the ones ive been to - drogs and cobh are also great grounds to visit - real old school - i like them

worst grounds are tolka - dalymount bar the jodi, flancare is strange

KR's Post
12/04/2005, 12:24 PM
tis true though...
Not knacker children, annoying chidren... Which has calmed down a bit this season. :)

pineapple stu
12/04/2005, 12:26 PM
Which has calmed down a bit this season. :)
You think?! :eek: We had some knacker kids telling us they'd "murder" us just a couple of weeks ago. Not sayinig they're serious in their threat, but they certainly haven't calmed down!

The stand is like a circus stand."
That's a new one - I like! :)

New ground going up in a couple of years though - enjoy the circus stand while you can!

KR's Post
12/04/2005, 12:36 PM
You think?! :eek: We had some knacker kids telling us they'd "murder" us just a couple of weeks ago. Not sayinig they're serious in their threat, but they certainly haven't calmed down!

Oh did they..... Eh, apologys for that. I was sure there was less kids causing trouble and running round. Next time they do it, hit them with your badhran!!! ;) Little s*its, i defended them before, but thats not on. Looking for attention!!

Bald Student
12/04/2005, 12:49 PM
This is running a little off topic, so sorry everyone.

I've criticised Bray in the past for the children so to give credit where credit is due, it's fair to say that the situation had improved a lot last week. The stewards kept manners on the young children.

We did have to put up with some abuse from some drunken teenagers (one of whom treathened to murder me) but they are much less annoying than the young children.

holidaysong
12/04/2005, 1:25 PM
:eek:
And we're supposed to be playing there next week!
Hope that chap is finished by then. Won't be a great game with a tractor on the 'pitch'. :D :D

Limerick vs. Dundalk next week will be in United Park, Drogheda.

Gerrit
12/04/2005, 10:41 PM
OMG :eek: Who dares to call Tolka worst ground ?? Ever been in Newbridge ??

Some more :

KILDARE : "ground" is a better word than "stadium". One not even impressing stand and the rest is a big nothing with a noise railway beside it. 2/10
But... Kildare County are a young club so I expect this ground will improve in the near future.

LANSDOWNE ROAD: I like it ! Nice old stadium, yet atmospheric and in good state. Maybe the stands behind the goals should be covered, but the two main stands are really nice. Some people I heard call it a ground more suitable for rugby, but I think it suits soccer well either. 9/10

pete
13/04/2005, 3:55 PM
LANSDOWNE ROAD: I like it ! Nice old stadium, yet atmospheric and in good state.

IMO Lansdowne is worst than the best eL stadiums. It may be big but facilities are shockingly bad. I particularily hate the south terrace as only 2-3 entry/exit points.

Roo69
13/04/2005, 4:04 PM
This is running a little off topic, so sorry everyone.

I've criticised Bray in the past for the children so to give credit where credit is due, it's fair to say that the situation had improved a lot last week. The stewards kept manners on the young children.

We did have to put up with some abuse from some drunken teenagers (one of whom treathened to murder me) but they are much less annoying than the young children.

Sorry for replying to this as poor student said, it's a little off topic. But, it's good to hear feedback like this. A BIG effort is being made by the club to do things in the right way and stewarding was a concern for us. The problems have been outlined and action is now taking place etc.....

thecorner
13/04/2005, 11:35 PM
CORK: very nice ground, all the way. Just a bit too open maybe behind that one goal opposite the Cork ultras, but the stands are all very comfortable and look great. 8.5/10

that stand is getting covered shortly

first time ive heard the shed being called cork ultras :D :D :D :eek:

LFC in Exile
14/04/2005, 9:45 AM
Best ground - The Cross
2nd Best - Tolka

Worst - probably ours :( But we've got a man. His name is Dan. He has a plan. :)

Clones Road Cas
14/04/2005, 9:47 AM
showgrounds: best stand in my opinion, needs tidying up but will be the best with time 7/10
tolka: shud be better but main stand generates good atmosphere
st.mels: kip. have to pi$$ against a wall. 4/10
finn park:kip 3/10
terryland:tidy&neat. grand for a small team 6/10
station road: shi*e 3/10
rsc: ok but fans are to far from pitch and only seating on one side 6/10
carlisle: crap 4/10
brandywell: nice stand but open oer the far side. 7/10
century homes: 3 points&a pint at half time 10/10

You mightnt get the three points so handy this year. But at least you give some credit for the ground. A limerick Fan had the nerve to say it was a hole earlier. Considering some of the **** holes that Lims have played in including there current home and that based in Irelands (ROI) 3rd/4th largest city.

Century Homes Park is something a lot of clubs could aspire to. A fanbase is something we aspire to.

Lim till i die
14/04/2005, 11:55 AM
Century Homes Park is something a lot of clubs could aspire to. A fanbase is something we aspire to.

:D

In fairness, You'll note I aslo said Rathbane is a hole.

Clones Road Cas
14/04/2005, 12:57 PM
Your more than welcome to call rathbane a hole, it is a hole. CHP aint, not any more. We have feck all to be proud of but the work to develop the ground and facilities is something we are rabid about defending. The main reason is that success on the pitch has been to an extent sacraficed to get facilities right. Hopefully that will come and so will a crowd, although im not holding my breath about the fans.

:(

Schumi
14/04/2005, 1:43 PM
CHP is grand, my only major gripe is that the stand is a good bit away from the pitch.

gael353
14/04/2005, 1:52 PM
Tolka Park: its got seats but little else, its great when full but ten what pub isnt?
Oriel Park: i hate it, the cage under the stand, is it a stand? very windy and very open.

Century homes park: big name small stand too far from boggie pitch cows come and watch the airball as much as the large attendence. But loads of room for developments.

Terryland: Flat pitch :) safe ground but stand is outdated and i cant stand pylons in my way.

The showgrounds: Far stand is a joke big stand isnt much better (for spectating) rest of teh ground is a write off.

St Slopemans Park: One lean-two piece of tin and a seated lean-two. Knock and build again.

Turners X: i wouldnt go raving about this place too much, the shed needs knocking, annes is unsafe, the lean two is crap and that stand, the roof is ****e and only covers the back of it.

RSC: Its an athletics track.

Buckley Park: By far the best ground in the league (for the size of the team) but only one entrance/exit...licence anyone??

St Mels/stadium of tin: The players and match officials stood for a mins silence as visions of sarajavo 1992 are all around. lucky there leaving.

The flansiro: i like the stand, its steep and everyone gets to see but although it looks nice stand on the uncovered other 90% and see that ur actually standing on cattle grids. Need a roof badly.

Brandywell: a dog track circa 1965 anyone? sums up norn ireland really!

Carlisle grounds/finn park. i actually think there more of the same. id just blow up both now and build from the crator.

Rathbane: yes i agree it is a whole but there are plans. when its finished i would knock the shed and rebuild.

i think one thing is common amoung all older irish grounds there ****e and whats happening is there building on said ****e. its cheap and thats why its done. qulaity stands have to be built which means there can be no pylons in front of the spectators (jodi) it has to be steep enough for everyone to see the pitch (showgrounds)

and what is it with floodlights in this country? the bulbs do go you know. i was in Mels two weeks ago and 17 lights were out, replace them for gods sake.

Pablo
14/04/2005, 1:56 PM
that stand is getting covered shortly

first time ive heard the shed being called cork ultras :D :D :D :eek:

Commandos 84 to be precise!

http://www.fourfiveone.net/commandos.html

Longfordian
14/04/2005, 2:05 PM
The flansiro: i like the stand, its steep and everyone gets to see but although it looks nice stand on the uncovered other 90% and see that ur actually standing on cattle grids. Need a roof badly.

Agree about the roof but the 'cattle grids' were taken out and proper concrete steps put in on the side opposite the stand and behind the goals closest to town for the UEFA match last year. The other end will be done eventually too, it has to be moved back to lengthen the pitch in the near future so I'd imagine it will be done then. A roof on the opposite side to the stand was on the plans too last I heard but plans are a great thing.

BrAyCMilan
14/04/2005, 2:37 PM
You lot are just rating the grounds comfort wise, ie seats etc. What about the playing surface??? Bray has to be one of the best pitches in the country.
Waterfords pitch is terrible, so too are the playing surfaces at Finn Harps, Sligo, Limerick, Bohs, Cobh, Athlone, St. Pats etc. etc. Not much point in turning up at a lovely stadium and not being able to watch a good game of football because the pitch is bad. Sure you might as well have a huge stadium like Burnley and have a s*** pitch, whats the point in that?

joey B
14/04/2005, 2:48 PM
You lot are just rating the grounds comfort wise, ie seats etc. What about the playing surface??? Bray has to be one of the best pitches in the country.
Waterfords pitch is terrible, so too are the playing surfaces at Finn Harps, ?

Thats bull**** Rico commented on how good the surface at finn park was :rolleyes:

pete
14/04/2005, 2:51 PM
Turners X: i wouldnt go raving about this place too much, the shed needs knocking, annes is unsafe, the lean two is crap and that stand, the roof is ****e and only covers the back of it.

I've heard anyone say that the St Annes End is unsafe. :confused:

Stand is at top level (good view) but lower level not so great & will get wet in it. Opposite stand is ok but would be better if a little bigger & steeper. Shed is ok (great atmosphere when packed for big games) for its time & will be replaced at end of season with new stand. St Annes End will be much when covered at end of season - slope could be steeper too as just basically convered terrace.

monkey magic
14/04/2005, 5:23 PM
[QUOTE=gael353]The flansiro: i like the stand, its steep and everyone gets to see but although it looks nice stand on the uncovered other 90% and see that ur actually standing on cattle grids. Need a roof badly.
QUOTE]

as longfordian said de 'cattle grids r gone an dere is/was plans for an all round roof... but this wont happen till they sort out the pitch length issue.

in fairness i tink were one of the more progressive clubs when it comes to ground development, given
1. Our fanbase
2. What we started with
3. The financial strain of keeping a relatively small club in the premier div

rebel army no1
14/04/2005, 6:22 PM
Shed is ok (great atmosphere when packed for big games) .

What do you mean. There is always a great athmosphere in the shed, ok maybe for some of the smaller clubs like U.C.D and Dublin City last year there wasnt as much( no offence to those clubs) but you shouldnt forget that Cork City is the only club that has a very large vocal support and even on those nights against smaller clubs there is still as much athmosphere as at a big game for most other clubs

Anto McC
14/04/2005, 6:30 PM
you shouldnt forget that Cork City is the only club that has a very large vocal support and even on those nights against smaller clubs there is still as much athmosphere as at a big game for most other clubs

It's not the only club with a large vocal support,I've heard shamrock rovers fans outsing anyother fans on numerous occations.You also need to remember that all clubs fans are trying there best with the limited numbers available.

Slash/ED
14/04/2005, 7:11 PM
but you shouldnt forget that Cork City is the only club that has a very large vocal support and even on those nights against smaller clubs there is still as much athmosphere as at a big game for most other clubs

:D :D :D :D

Is the post of the month competition still running? This is about the most perfect post you could ever get to sum up Corkie internet fans.

Pablo
14/04/2005, 8:03 PM
:D :D :D :D

Is the post of the month competition still running? This is about the most perfect post you could ever get to sum up Corkie internet fans.

theres more cork internet fans than you have in total

gael353
14/04/2005, 10:36 PM
Agree about the roof but the 'cattle grids' were taken out and proper concrete steps put in on the side opposite the stand and behind the goals closest to town for the UEFA match last year. The other end will be done eventually too, it has to be moved back to lengthen the pitch in the near future so I'd imagine it will be done then. A roof on the opposite side to the stand was on the plans too last I heard but plans are a great thing.

My mistake sorry about that i havnt been there in awhile due to us being in a diff div so sorry about that.

gael353
14/04/2005, 10:40 PM
what are u on about ? ye had to rent a junior clubs ground last year for feck sake. showgrounds has one nice stand, jinks avenue stand isnt great but not bad. it's alot better than most other grounds if not all first division clubs. kilkenny is good though.

We do need a new shed. even if the old one was open it's outdated and too small. wont happen for another 10 years i'd say.

mate im not slagging off anyone im giving my opinion on grounds, which i do believe is the porpose of this thread. The jinks ave stand you say isnt great but better then other then what other grounds have, that just shows the level of quality in the league, ie not very good at all.

Snoop Drog
15/04/2005, 12:04 AM
See 'em all here

http://www.stadionwelt.de/Stadionwelt-Stadien-Arenen/Stadionlisten/Irland/Irland.html

My german ain't the best but about Croker they say "National Stadion für
Hurling und Rugby". Hmmm...don't remember ever seeing alot of rugby played there :D

Longfordian
15/04/2005, 11:34 AM
My mistake sorry about that i havnt been there in awhile due to us being in a diff div so sorry about that.

Yeah, no worries just pointing it out for future reference ;)

paudie
15/04/2005, 12:21 PM
See 'em all here

http://www.stadionwelt.de/Stadionwelt-Stadien-Arenen/Stadionlisten/Irland/Irland.html

My german ain't the best but about Croker they say "National Stadion für
Hurling und Rugby". Hmmm...don't remember ever seeing alot of rugby played there :D

Maybe they have the inside track on the result of the vote at Congress this weekend.

I heard the overseas delegate votes could be vital :D

sparkey
15/04/2005, 1:49 PM

Exactly, Get Rid of the Knacker Children! :p

corkharps
15/04/2005, 2:30 PM
Ye can all keep your 'fancydan' stadiums, not many of them could provide the atmosphere there will be in Finn park on Saturday night! :p

Dazzy
15/04/2005, 3:08 PM
Ye can all keep your 'fancydan' stadiums, not many of them could provide the atmosphere there will be in Finn park on Saturday night! :p

.......that will come from the 800 Derry fans :D