PDA

View Full Version : Lions squad thread

Aberdonian Stu
11/04/2005, 10:23 AM
Just pre-empting Woodward's announcement later this morning by starting the thread.

Reckon we should start guessing what Woodward's fifteen will be after the 44 are named.

Macy
11/04/2005, 11:14 AM
Squad: I Balshaw (England and Leeds), G Murphy (Ireland and Leinster), J Robinson (England and Sale Sharks), G Thomas (Wales and Toulouse), S Williams (Wales and Neath-Swansea Ospreys), J Lewsey (England and Wasps), S Horgan (Ireland and Leinster), D Hickie (Ireland and Leinster), T Shanklin (Wales and Cardiff Blues), B O'Driscoll (Ireland and Leinster, capt), G Henson (Wales and Neath-Swansea Ospreys), O Smith (England and Leicester), G D'Arcy (Ireland and Leinster), W Greenwood (England and Harlequins), S Jones (Wales and Clermont Auvergne), R O'Gara (Ireland and Munster), C Hodgson (England and Sale Sharks), M Dawson (England and Wasps), D Peel (Wales and Llanelli Scarlets), G Cooper (Wales and Newport Gwent Dragons), C Cusiter (Scotland and Borders), G Rowntree (England and Leicester), A Sheridan (England and Sale Sharks), M Stevens (England and Bath), G Jenkins (Wales and Cardiff Blues), J White (England and Leicester), J Hayes (Ireland and Munster), G Bulloch (Scotland and Glasgow), S Thompson (England and Northampton), A Titterrell (England and Sale Sharks), S Byrne (Ireland and Leinster), D Grewcock (England and Bath), B Kay (England and Leicester), M O'Kelly (Ireland and Leinster), D O'Callaghan (Ireland and Munster), P O'Connell (Ireland and Munster), M Owen (Wales and Newport Gwent Dragons), R Hill (England and Saracens), N Back (England and Leicester), M Williams (Wales and Cardiff Blues), L Moody (England and Leicester), S Taylor (Scotland and Edinburgh), M Corry (England and Leicester), L Dallaglio (England and Wasps).

Kingdom
11/04/2005, 11:27 AM
John Hayes and Denis Hickie. Has O'Sullivan all over it. I reckon he tried to get Horan Hayes and Hickie but Woodward wanted Brennan so they compromised.

Also if Wilkinson, Vickery and Tindall prove their fitness in the coming weeks they'll be brought too. Sounds like a load of Gordon Bullocks.

Macy
11/04/2005, 11:29 AM
John Hayes and Denis Hickie. Has O'Sullivan all over it. I reckon he tried to get Horan Hayes and Hickie but Woodward wanted Brennan so they compromised.
:confused:

Roo69
11/04/2005, 11:35 AM
England - 20
Scotland - 3
Ireland - 11
Wales - 10

Some strange decisions. I did'nt think Hayes or Byrne would go. Johnny O'Connor should be in ahead of Neil Back imo. Was a stand-by list given ?

Kingdom
11/04/2005, 11:46 AM
For starters:

G Murphy (Ireland and Leinster),

J Robinson (England and Sale Sharks),
J Lewsey (England and Wasps),

B O'Driscoll (Ireland and Leinster, capt),
G Henson (Wales and Neath-Swansea Ospreys),

S Jones (Wales and Clermont Auvergne),
M Dawson (England and Wasps),

J White (England and Leicester),
S Byrne (Ireland and Leinster),

M O'Kelly (Ireland and Leinster),
P O'Connell (Ireland and Munster),

Not sure who to complete the pack !!

Aberdonian Stu
11/04/2005, 11:53 AM
Scotland - 3

They have four, Bulloch, Cusiter, Taylor, and White.

joey B
11/04/2005, 12:03 PM
For starters:

G Murphy (Ireland and Leinster),

J Robinson (England and Sale Sharks),
J Lewsey (England and Wasps),

B O'Driscoll (Ireland and Leinster, capt),
G Henson (Wales and Neath-Swansea Ospreys),

S Jones (Wales and Clermont Auvergne),
M Dawson (England and Wasps),

J White (England and Leicester),
S Byrne (Ireland and Leinster),

M O'Kelly (Ireland and Leinster),
P O'Connell (Ireland and Munster),

Not sure who to complete the pack !!

I would put Hayes at tight head for his experience.
In the back row I would have Martyn Williams at 7,Moody at 6 and Corry at 8.
I would also have Peel ahead of Dawson.

Nempton
11/04/2005, 3:08 PM
It was interesting to hear Woodward say today that if he was picking the starting 15, then there would be one player from Scotland, two from England and the rest made up from Ireland and Wales.

Myself if I was picking the team then I would have

15 - Robinson
14 - Murphy/Lewsey
13 - O'Driscoll
12 - Henson
11 - S Williams
10 - Jones
9 - Peel
8 - Corry
7 - M Williams
6 - Moody
5 - O'Connell
4 - O'Callaghan
3 - Hayes
2 - Thompson (if his line throwing improves)
1 - White/Jenkins

To be honest I wasn't comfortable picking 1-3 in the forwards, I think it could be a possible weakness in comparison to the rest of the team. I don't think anyone here is going to fully agree with whoever we pick so please feel free to dissect :D

SÓC
11/04/2005, 3:39 PM
No Foley! That'll bite them in the arse I'd say.
Really surprised at Trevor Brennan's ommission
I wonder could we see O'Callaghan playing in the back row?
Pity Horan didnt make it, Wallace is another quality player, pity he's so underrated by O'Sullivan.

TheJamaicanP.M.
11/04/2005, 8:37 PM
They have four, Bulloch, Cusiter, Taylor, and White.

You're thinking of the other White who plays in the back-row for the Scots. This White plays for England. Only 3 Scots included - 3 too many. Chris Patterson didn't make it either.

IsMiseSean
11/04/2005, 9:53 PM
Balshaw is the only poor decision :( , surely Chris Paterson was a better option.
I'm suprised we got more players in the squad than the welsh.

Macy
12/04/2005, 7:27 AM
Pity Horan didnt make it
The front row choices are weak enough as it is.

Roo69
12/04/2005, 9:53 AM
You're thinking of the other White who plays in the back-row for the Scots. This White plays for England. Only 3 Scots included - 3 too many. Chris Patterson didn't make it either.

Cusiter defo deserves to be in the squad. Had a good 6 nations and was probably the scots best player.

$Leon$
12/04/2005, 10:01 AM
Balshaw is the only poor decision :( , surely Chris Paterson was a better option.
I'm suprised we got more players in the squad than the welsh.

chris paterson def deserved a place on the squad.
he's the only scotish player that could hold his own in the lions squad.
far too many english players (20) possibly 21 if johnny is fit in time.
they didn't bother playin this year at all.
i think sir clive had his way with this one.

Aberdonian Stu
12/04/2005, 10:16 AM

That's right it's Jason that plays for Scotland. Disagree with the three too many comment. Scotland are certainly the weakest nation but have a couple of good individuals. THey should have Blair in ahead of Dawson (they have the second and third best srcum halves in the four nations), and where's Tom Smith? I feel the Paterson decision must have been a tough one because he's quite versatile but I reckon Woodward made a fair call as he has enough players who can be moved about already like Thomas and Murphy.

Kerry Blue
12/04/2005, 5:59 PM
Anyone else think that Stringer should have been included? Surely he's better than Dawson. Wales must be really agrieved having only half the number of players that England have, and England were terrible in the 6 Nations. I can just see it now, the 'British & Irish' Lions team to face New Zealand in the first test:

15. Balshaw (England)
14. Lewsey (England)
13. Greenwood (England)
12. Smith (England)
11. Robinson (England)
10. Hodgson (England)
9. Dawson (England)
8. Dallaglio (England)
7. Corry (England)
6. Moody (England)
5. Grewcock (England)
4. Kay (England)
3. Rowntree (England)
2. Thompson (England)
1. White (England)

Aberdonian Stu
14/04/2005, 8:40 AM
Wouldn't have considered Stringer or Dawson. Blair is better in my opinion just cursed by the fact that he plays in the one position in which Scotland have any kind of depth.

Nempton
14/04/2005, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by Kerry Blue
Anyone else think that Stringer should have been included? Surely he's better than Dawson.

You must be having a laugh. Stringer is average at best and definitely not good enough to be included in the Lions let alone to be considered. Stringer was at least responsible for ten points that Biarritz scored against Munster in the European Cup quarter final.

SÓC
14/04/2005, 6:40 PM
Stringer was at least responsible for ten points that Biarritz scored against Munster in the European Cup quarter final.

Harsh but true, plus he lost the ball a few times in great attacking positions