PDA

View Full Version : Football grounds map

pineapple stu
04/01/2019, 2:53 PM
Just something to while away the last few weeks of the pre-season (https://www.footballgroundmap.com/). See the football grounds you've been to on a map.

112 for me, in 33 countries.

I'm sure there has to be a few on here who can easily top that?

pineapple stu
04/01/2019, 3:53 PM
There's 150 Irish grounds on it; it goes quite a way down into non-league.

You can suggest new grounds for addition too.

Really any pitch above the likes of the communal Phoenix Park/UCD Superleague level seems fair game

seand
07/01/2019, 8:46 AM
Going below the First Division seems like a bit of a cheat to me. I've played (or managed) on a dozen or more of the Irish ones listed on there. In terms of senior grounds stu I'm on about 100 in 15 countries.... mucho impressed with 33 countries! (Must resist the temptation to request the addition of LFL and NDSL club grounds....)

Mr A
07/01/2019, 10:11 AM
Getting to Wexford last year got be back to having been to all the senior grounds here.. had reached that mark previously (possibly a few times) but with the crazy flux in this league it didn't last! For years every game in Wexford would clash with something or other and I never made it there.

Probably have the same number again in former league grounds and cup visits.

seand
07/01/2019, 11:54 AM
Getting to Wexford last year got be back to having been to all the senior grounds here.. had reached that mark previously (possibly a few times) but with the crazy flux in this league it didn't last! For years every game in Wexford would clash with something or other and I never made it there.

Probably have the same number again in former league grounds and cup visits.

Likewise Mr A, I've missed all of Dundalk's games at Markets Field, and then your lot went and relegated Limerick on me! I'm probably the only person hoping and praying for Cabinteely away in one of the cups too

pineapple stu
07/01/2019, 1:08 PM
Going below the First Division seems like a bit of a cheat to me. I've played (or managed) on a dozen or more of the Irish ones listed on there. In terms of senior grounds stu I'm on about 100 in 15 countries.... mucho impressed with 33 countries! (Must resist the temptation to request the addition of LFL and NDSL club grounds....)
Think you're being harsh on yourself there!

The website is English, and has English grounds going down to step 13. That's a seriously low level, but that's English groundhopping for you.

OK, once you go into non-league, few enough clubs really have "grounds" to talk about, but I'd still include them. Though most of the ones UCD have played at - Tullamore, Peamount, that astro in Clontarf - don't seem to be on it.

Would imagine the likes of El-Pietro could score well with various European trips...

NeverFeltBetter
07/01/2019, 1:31 PM
I see Villa Park is the second most popular stadium on that site, but Aston Villa aren't in the top ten of clubs. Is that because of the FA Cup semi's that were held there?

pineapple stu
07/01/2019, 1:37 PM
FA Trophy finals are often held there too I think? Or Vase finals or the non-league stuff like that. Probably a couple of England games too.

Edit - the Olympics also. Probably all adds up.

El-Pietro
07/01/2019, 1:45 PM
Think you're being harsh on yourself there!

The website is English, and has English grounds going down to step 13. That's a seriously low level, but that's English groundhopping for you.

OK, once you go into non-league, few enough clubs really have "grounds" to talk about, but I'd still include them. Though most of the ones UCD have played at - Tullamore, Peamount, that astro in Clontarf - don't seem to be on it.

Would imagine the likes of El-Pietro could score well with various European trips...
I did fill this out on Friday when I saw it and I was a little disappointed with my score. I'm sure I'm missing a couple here or there but only 82 grounds in 15 countries. I think a lot of the grounds I played at when I was at schoolboy/junior level are missing though.
https://www.footballgroundmap.com/el-pietro

Brendyeire would smash this I'd say. He does a lot of Irish trips as well as European trips with Derry.

OwlsFan
07/01/2019, 3:41 PM
I see Villa Park is the second most popular stadium on that site, but Aston Villa aren't in the top ten of clubs. Is that because of the FA Cup semi's that were held there?

Hillsborough 7th for possibly the same reason and also they have played in 3 out of the 4 divisions (and almost all 4 but for Jack Charlton) in relatively recent times.

There's 150 Irish grounds on it; it goes quite a way down into non-league.

You can suggest new grounds for addition too.

Really any pitch above the likes of the communal Phoenix Park/UCD Superleague level seems fair game

My LoI grounds for the most part are the Dublin ones with the odd excursion to the country but the communal ones would be far and wide from my days playing in the Amateur League but not sure I'd remember many.

Martinho II
07/01/2019, 4:13 PM
as for me regarding the loi if Limerick play again in Markets Field and I go to it I will have completed the treks to all the current loi grounds! couldnt make markets field in 2016 but was at the one in pike rovers ground.

marinobohs
08/01/2019, 10:14 AM

had a big capacity and was in the midlands so was traditionally popular for many neutral matches (FA Cup semi finals, junior finals etc.). I think any England internationals (at various levels) played in the midlands are/were held there. It is, of course, impossible to be certain but would say its central location (in England) certainly helped make it so popular, nice ground though.

Straightstory
08/01/2019, 11:10 AM
What a great website!
El Pietro: impressive score - but no matches in Scotland?

OwlsFan
08/01/2019, 11:33 AM
I did fill this out on Friday when I saw it and I was a little disappointed with my score. I'm sure I'm missing a couple here or there but only 82 grounds in 15 countries. I think a lot of the grounds I played at when I was at schoolboy/junior level are missing though.
https://www.footballgroundmap.com/el-pietro

Brendyeire would smash this I'd say. He does a lot of Irish trips as well as European trips with Derry.

Are you allowed count the Aviva and Lansdowne as two different grounds ? I wouldn't include Croke Park as a football ground. Great mix though and some of your UK ones are interesting and varied. What was the occasion of the visit to Windsor Park ?

El-Pietro
08/01/2019, 11:46 AM
What a great website!
El Pietro: impressive score - but no matches in Scotland?
I'd never been to Scotland before 2018 and I didn't manage a game in my two trips there this year.

El-Pietro
08/01/2019, 11:48 AM
Are you allowed count the Aviva and Lansdowne as two different grounds ? I wouldn't include Croke Park as a football ground. Great mix though and some of your UK ones are interesting and varied. What was the occasion of the visit to Windsor Park ?

It lists them as two different grounds so I ticked them both. Croke Park was listed and I saw a football game there so I ticked it. I did the same for Century Link field in the US where I saw the Seattle Sounders play even though its also the home of the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL.

We played Linfield in the Europa League in 2016.

pineapple stu
08/01/2019, 12:01 PM
Actually, if you search for Old/Folded teams (https://www.footballgroundmap.com/grounds/folded-teams), some more Irish grounds show up (eg Kilkenny/Monaghan) that aren't on the main Ireland page. Might boost the total a bit.

My own map is here (https://www.footballgroundmap.com/cdeburca) fwiw

EatYerGreens
08/01/2019, 1:59 PM
What an awesome site ! Have got no work donw for the lats couple of hours, have been racking my brain trying to rememebr every football ground I've ever visited ;)

marinobohs
08/01/2019, 3:20 PM

Probably none on here that visited it ;) but prior to it becoming the premier GAA ground, Croke Park (then known as Jones Road I think) played host to football, with Bohs playing out of there in pre Dalymount days. I think it was a municipal ground.

pineapple stu
08/01/2019, 4:06 PM
Don't forget Ireland played there a while too. :)

marinobohs
09/01/2019, 9:30 AM
Don't forget Ireland played there a while too. :)

Remember it well (during building of the new Lansdowne, and I think the first Irish player to score was (Stephen) Ireland :D !