PDA

View Full Version : Manager Murphy wants to get players thinking only football

Neil
22/02/2002, 11:00 PM
Cork boss Liam Murphy wants to make Turner's Cross a fortress again as he chases a place in Europe.

The Leesiders have won just once on their own patch in five matches since they slammed four past Galway in the eircom League Premier Division in November.

They have drawn blanks in four of those games - including the shock eircom League Cup defeat at the hands of First Division minnows Limerick FC.

There were calls for Murphy's head at the end of the game, but he sympathises with the fans.

"I understand how they feel," Murphy told Sports.. "They want the team to be successful, but so do I. The supporters expect success, and rightly so, but the strain has started to tell on the younger players. It has been too much for them at times. But I am not looking for excuses.

"We have forgotten how to score. If the goals dry up you are always going to have trouble.

"But, hopefully, our bad spell is behind us. We are out of the running in the league, but we have Europe to aim for."

"However, we've got to get back to winning ways at Turner's Cross."

Cork are still without Alan Carey and Damien O' Rourke, who are still recuperating from ankle injuries.

Shelbourne's Kevin Doherty is out for the rest of the season with broken ribs and Richie Baker is ruled out with a hamstring injury which could sideline him for the next few weeks.

Boss Dermot Keely prefers to lead from the front, but told Sports.com: "It is important not to look over your shoulder. Once you do your own job everything else will fall into place."

<sports.com>

ccfcman
23/02/2002, 7:37 PM
so the players thinkin fottie only will make up for murphys apparent lack of football knowhow

yan
24/02/2002, 12:57 AM
we need someone to create aswell as score goals

well it looks like ollie is leaving so we are ****ed

TheNorthsider
24/02/2002, 4:41 PM
according to the bold trevor welch in his bulletin today that city havent scored in their last 6 home games is he right in saying that??? :confused:

goalside
24/02/2002, 8:49 PM
no we scored against derry on new years eve.

Éanna
25/02/2002, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by Neil
but the strain has started to tell on the younger players. It has been too much for them at times. But I am not looking for excuses.
well if the stupíd pr!ck hadn't sold all the other players he could rest them! what an idiot :mad: