PDA

View Full Version : Shammrock Rovers to be put into examinership

Ringo
10/04/2005, 11:34 AM
An article on the front page of the Business post says they have debts of over 1.8million euro. The examinership will protect them from creditors for 70 days.

De Town
10/04/2005, 11:41 AM
An article on the front page of the Business post says they have debts of over 1.8million euro.
:eek:
They only have themselves to blame.....I'd say the players that came back from England this season are on huge wages esp. Jason Gavin.

Longfordian
10/04/2005, 11:51 AM
Just gives them time to try and find investment or push ahead with this takeover by the 400 club that they're talking about. They owe a Longford based builder over €1m, according to him, for the work done on Tallaght. He's had security on the site for the past three years keeping them out until he gets paid off seemingly.

wakenuppaddy
10/04/2005, 1:20 PM
****es me off that at a time when they are strapped for cash and owe different people large sums they are still big spenders on the wages front.
Also ,when they played Harps up here last week they stayed overnight in a top hotel as if they were flush with cash.(no need to stay overnight at all).
At a time when most other clubs have learned to live within their means I have absolutely no sympathy for Shamrock Rovers.

De Town
10/04/2005, 1:40 PM
Also ,when they played Harps up here last week they stayed overnight in a top hotel as if they were flush with cash.(no need to stay overnight at all).
Thats Roddy for ya, he thinks he's something..... :rolleyes:

thejollyrodger
10/04/2005, 2:00 PM
bad buzz alright ! i thought Shams had it all sorted. :(

Didnt DCC say they were going to develop the ground anyway ? Maybe it might be a great spot for shels.

can you post the article ?

Gerrit
10/04/2005, 2:24 PM
Rather no move for Shels to Tallaght. I used to live just around the corner of the Rovers' new ground, and I don't feel like going back to Tallaght every home game. Nothing but trouble in that area... Shels has a perfectly fine ground, I don't see the need for a move.

An ex-colleague of mine, a Rovers fanatic, told me last year they found an investor who would take care of all debts... So where's the guy now ? :confused:

skitz3
10/04/2005, 3:49 PM
An ex-colleague of mine, a Rovers fanatic, told me last year they found an investor who would take care of all debts... So where's the guy now ? :confused:

The investor your friend talked about was Conor Clarkson,He's big into horse racing and i think he is the head of some supermarket chain maybe we can get a rovers fan to clarify that.

Staying overnight in that top hotel,I would put that down to Roddy Collins.I recon the members of the 400 club will put a stop to that when they take over and then we will see how long sticks around.

Ringo
10/04/2005, 7:12 PM
****es me off that at a time when they are strapped for cash and owe different people large sums they are still big spenders on the wages front.
At a time when most other clubs have learned to live within their means I have absolutely no sympathy for Shamrock Rovers.

Spot on. If they owe 1million to the tax man , as the article states, then they shoudn't have a licence.

pete
10/04/2005, 7:32 PM
I remember the Rovers chairman making some commenst about debts at start of the season which seemed to indicate would be examinership on the cards soon. He didn't seem too concerned about at the time cos i think would give them time to avoid administration.

Whatever about the stadium debt but i'd be surprised if Rovers making means end week to week.

pburkeg
10/04/2005, 7:37 PM
the problem with the likes of us at gufc stuck down in purgatory in the 1st division trying to get our house in order and not spend beyond our means
and some clubs act recklessly and the fai bend over backwards to help but its the likes of the 1st division clubs that are paying the price for them ****s

skitz3
10/04/2005, 8:11 PM
Altough a shels fan i think it will be terrible if Shamrock Rovers(still the biggest club in Ireland imo) were to be relagated or were to cease as a club.Despite their troubles they still have the best,loudest and most colourful support in the league which betters a fans enjoyment of even the most boring game,also no club attendence wise wants them to go because they always bring loads of support with them which translates into more money for your club.

Their history alone the represents the league briliantly and we as eircom league fans should not be happy to see this happen to Shamrock Rovers and should be trying to help them anyway possible(I myself will be).

Anyone who calls themself a fan of the eircom league shoulld be dissapointed to see Shamrock Rovers go,be it to the first division or if they were to cease as a club and we as fans should all be striving to get to the level of loyalty to our club as the Shamrock Rovers fans have to their club(with exception to the few idiot hoolagins that give them a bad name).

pineapple stu
10/04/2005, 8:43 PM
Spot on. If they owe 1million to the tax man , as the article states, then they shoudn't have a licence.
Hmmm...foot.ie interview with the licencing officer coming up soon...!? Must make a note of that!

Ringo
10/04/2005, 8:48 PM
the problem with the likes of us at gufc stuck down in purgatory in the 1st division trying to get our house in order and not spend beyond our means
and some clubs act recklessly and the fai bend over backwards to help but its the likes of the 1st division clubs that are paying the price for them ****s

bang on

Ringo
10/04/2005, 8:50 PM
Altough a shels fan i think it will be terrible if Shamrock Rovers(still the biggest club in Ireland imo) were to be relagated or were to cease as a club.Despite their troubles they still have the best,loudest and most colourful support in the league which betters a fans enjoyment of even the most boring game,also no club attendence wise wants them to go because they always bring loads of support with them which translates into more money for your club.

Their history alone the represents the league briliantly and we as eircom league fans should not be happy to see this happen to Shamrock Rovers and should be trying to help them anyway possible(I myself will be).

Anyone who calls themself a fan of the eircom league shoulld be dissapointed to see Shamrock Rovers go,be it to the first division or if they were to cease as a club and we as fans should all be striving to get to the level of loyalty to our club as the Shamrock Rovers fans have to their club(with exception to the few idiot hoolagins that give them a bad name).

The problem is the current owners, not the fans, Shamrock rovers fans have been $hit on over the years & the present owners are destroying the club.

exile
10/04/2005, 9:17 PM
full article here sunday buisness post (http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqid=3807-qqqx=1.asp)

whats the actual situation here if rovers do go to the wall do they get thrown out of the league or points deducated?

Ringo
10/04/2005, 9:37 PM
full article here sunday buisness post (http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqid=3807-qqqx=1.asp)

whats the actual situation here if rovers do go to the wall do they get thrown out of the league or points deducated?

they get crowned champions :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
10/04/2005, 10:24 PM
Not sure what the position will be if they go bust.
A word of warning to Hoops fans , this UEFA Licencing thing is quite stringent.
Recently in Czech Republic, Bohemians Praha have been thrown out of the League and all their fixtures cancelled and results scrubbed. They have a few weeks to get their affairs in order to enable them to play among the Amateur ranks next season. But they have to sort out their debts before they will even be allowed to do that. :(

P.S. Oh and one more thing they also wear green and white.

Macy
11/04/2005, 7:40 AM
Examinership is potentially the best thing that Rovers can do, and I think I'm right in saying was one of the conditions for the possible 400 club take over. It will get the debts out in the open and properly restructured allowing the club to go forward. It sounds bad, but then better than the bumbling on that Rovers (and others) have been doing for years.

I think most rovers fans would agree about the team spending, but it should be noted that whatever about the hotel they stayed in, the board apparently went to the fans for money to buy the players their post match meal (of a bag chips!).

Really don't know how this effects the licence, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

NY Hoop
11/04/2005, 12:28 PM
Good post skitz. Actually the club is nearer €2.5m in debt. They could go over to La Manga for a friendly and cant afford to feed the players in Donegal :rolleyes:

400 club egm tonight.

Have no doubts it is the lowest period since lucifer sold Glenmalure.

KOH

pineapple stu
11/04/2005, 12:36 PM
Actually the club is nearer €2.5m in debt.
That's what - four or five times their annual turnover? What are the licencing criteria here exactly? Considering there must have been problems last year as well, does this not seem like a bit of a fudge by the FAI? Or have things gotten better since last year?!

Macy
11/04/2005, 1:08 PM
That's what - four or five times their annual turnover? What are the licencing criteria here exactly? Considering there must have been problems last year as well, does this not seem like a bit of a fudge by the FAI? Or have things gotten better since last year?!
More likely more wool over eyes stunts from the Rovers Board.

trevy
11/04/2005, 1:18 PM
How the hell did they manage to make any signings with debts like these?How did they get a licence from FAI for playing this season?These debts didn't spring up overnight.

OwlsFan
11/04/2005, 1:20 PM
[QUOTE=wakenuppaddy. I have absolutely no sympathy for Shamrock Rovers.[/QUOTE]

This Club has done amazingly well to survive after its ground was sold from under it by property developers and living live gypsies (no, not like Bohs) for the past number of years. I doubt if any other club would have survived in such circumstances.

Come on the Hoops.

higgins
11/04/2005, 1:57 PM
Id imagine many clubs along with my own are in similar debt.

Just because others dont make it public doesnt mean its not a problem. This is at last some good news for them it seems??

The longer they stay like they are the worse it gets.

Longfordian
11/04/2005, 2:01 PM
Good post skitz. Actually the club is nearer €2.5m in debt. They could go over to La Manga for a friendly and cant afford to feed the players in Donegal :rolleyes:

400 club egm tonight.

Have no doubts it is the lowest period since lucifer sold Glenmalure.

KOH

Apparently the Rod paid for cheap flights over to La Manga after being told by the board they couldn't go, they trained on beaches, stayed in three flats and ate in chippers while they were over there. That's according to an ex-Rovers player (of last season) who was in touch with his former team-mates seemingly. Collins is an awful spoofer.

Macy
11/04/2005, 2:16 PM
This Club has done amazingly well to survive after its ground was sold from under it by property developers and living live gypsies (no, not like Bohs) for the past number of years. I doubt if any other club would have survived in such circumstances.

Come on the Hoops.
That excuse can only wear so long though. They could've sacrificed the team for a few years and been in Tallaght. Every sympathy for the fans, but the spoofers in charge of their club must take responsibility. Although SDCC has to share some blame imo, in the way they gave the lease to Tallaght to a holding company rather than setting in stone it was SRFC's and allowed Kilcoynesque directors to have another go at selling a ground from under the club.

wws
11/04/2005, 2:19 PM
I've no idea how they organised the spanish trip - but rovers or branvard - that business entity - the company whos debts are now being discussed is quite seperate from Roddy the publicity seeking loud mouth entity with no shame!

blagging free expenses paid from rich acquaintaces - who presumably toss him the odd bone now and than either for their own publicity reasons - its common knowledge Roddy shamelessly avails of freebies in Louis Copelands - not to mention the various liberties he's taken with other peoples automobiles

Collins is the classic working class chancer made good - he's used his "fame" achieved from not managing but in acting the paddy abroad in the rod squad. plays to the gallery and laps up the freebies from his new found cronies in the 'in' crowd who think he's a gas oul character altogether!

reminds me of dolan in the way he milks the system and is a bit of a chancer