PDA

View Full Version : GAA club in NY ?!

Gerrit
10/04/2005, 1:03 AM
This week while showing some foreign friends around in Dublin and taking them shopping, we visited a sportsgear shop and I noticed them selling a shirt with the logo of a club called "GAA New York". The logo also contained an image of the Statue of Liberty, the colours were white with a few minor stripes in -if i remember this well- red and blue.

I was a bit surprised to see this. As an immigrant coming from a country where Gaelic Football is not played I don't know that much of the sport, but since my arrival in Ireland I did pay attention to some articles in the press, and never I saw a teamname appear from a county or club not based in Ireland or Northern Ireland.

Does NY really have a Gaelic Football club ? If yes, in what league do they play ? (*I can imagine clubs from Ireland would rather not make an expensive trip to the USA for one league game per season*)

It would make sense of course to see cities like New York or Boston have a GAA team, given the many inhabitants from Irish origin. On the other hand it would make less sense to have a domestic all-Ireland league with one single club from the US. It would include massive travel costs for clubs from Dublin, Belfast, Cork, etc

GalwayFrancis
10/04/2005, 9:06 AM
yes ny do have a gaa club and they have a nice website too [http://www.ny-gaa.org/], i fact london also have a county gaa team, under the name london county [http://www.londongaa.org/]. america has so many gaa clubs, that they even have their own organisation [www.nagaa.org]
hope this helps you

This week while showing some foreign friends around in Dublin and taking them shopping, we visited a sportsgear shop and I noticed them selling a shirt with the logo of a club called "GAA New York". The logo also contained an image of the Statue of Liberty, the colours were white with a few minor stripes in -if i remember this well- red and blue.

I was a bit surprised to see this. As an immigrant coming from a country where Gaelic Football is not played I don't know that much of the sport, but since my arrival in Ireland I did pay attention to some articles in the press, and never I saw a teamname appear from a county or club not based in Ireland or Northern Ireland.

Does NY really have a Gaelic Football club ? If yes, in what league do they play ? (*I can imagine clubs from Ireland would rather not make an expensive trip to the USA for one league game per season*)

It would make sense of course to see cities like New York or Boston have a GAA team, given the many inhabitants from Irish origin. On the other hand it would make less sense to have a domestic all-Ireland league with one single club from the US. It would include massive travel costs for clubs from Dublin, Belfast, Cork, etc

Gerrit
10/04/2005, 3:59 PM
Thanks for your reply ;) I take that all those GAA clubs consist of Irish immigrants ? I never saw the sport being played abroad of Ireland...

But do the GAA clubs in London and NY play competitive games against the Irish GAA clubs (maybe they're even in the same league ??) or do England/UK and USA have their own GAA leagues ?

anto eile
10/04/2005, 5:30 PM
the gaa in usa have their own leagues, new yor and chicago have separate leagues. i think boston and san francisco might also have gaa leagues.
london play agianst the other 32 counties in the all-ireland championship as well as national league competitions, however new york only participate in the championship,as the practicalities,or lack thereof, in playing in the league would be far too time-consuming and expensive

Eirambler
10/04/2005, 5:32 PM
Thanks for your reply ;) I take that all those GAA clubs consist of Irish immigrants ? I never saw the sport being played abroad of Ireland...

Generally yes but not necessarily. There is a club team at Stamford Uni which the NY team can draw players from, as far as I know there are (or at least were) some with no Irish connections on the NY team.

Both teams play in the all ireland championship but have not been very successful, neither have won a game since 1975! NY went down by 28 points to Mayo last year.

The NY board used to pay the expenses for Irish teams to go to play the matches but I'm not sure if this is still the case.

GalwayFrancis
10/04/2005, 6:42 PM
The NY board used to pay the expenses for Irish teams to go to play the matches but I'm not sure if this is still the case.

sure, why wouldnt they. they have a sponsorship deal with bud!!! now who do you think gives more money Tommy Varden or Budweiser???

Gerrit
10/04/2005, 8:48 PM
so NY is playing in the All-Ireland championships ?

What about Boston, Chicago and the other US teams ?

Metrostars
11/04/2005, 8:01 PM
Galway starts their All-Ireland campaign with a game at Gaelic Park in the Bronx in May. For the couple of year, New York has been included with the Connaught football championship and the NY Hurling is included with the Ulter championship. They are not that great but I guess one of these years they'll produce a shock and get a win.

Boston, San Fran and Chicago all have their own leagues (as does NY obviously) but are not included with the All-Ireland championships.

Aberdonian Stu
12/04/2005, 11:23 AM
New York won the National Football League title a few times (three I think) in the fifties, playing just one game per season.

Following the All-Ireland that was held over there they started a two final process in the league for a few years. There would be a home final over here and the winners of that travelled to New York to play them. New York won a few times and are credited as National league winners for those years. Interestingly the games ended with a hooter as separate time-keepers were used to the ref.

A similar thing used to happen in the early 20th century where the All-Ireland would have a home final followed by the actual final. Not sure if they had it in football but London have one All Ireland hurling title to their name as a result of this system.

joey B
12/04/2005, 11:37 AM
Barcelona have one aswell.

Barcelona Gaels (http://www.barcelonagaels.com/)

It is more worldwide than you might think :cool:

dcfcsteve
13/04/2005, 4:30 PM
Gerritt,

There's GAA clubs literally all over the world. Anywhere where you find Irish people - particularly US, Canada, Australia, England, Scotland, Walest etc, but also in places you mightened expect like Hong Kong and Thailand (there's an Asian Championships played every year). The standard is low and the participants are all employed in 'proper jobs' but just fancy a knock-around on the weekend.

In Britain, there are a lot of clubs, including a significant number of University teams who play an annual championship (usually won by Liverpool John Moores Uni).

In the West Midlands in England (i.e. the area around Birmingham) Gaelic games has recently been accepted as a sport on the general curriculum, so will be taught at a great many schools over there. Naturally, a lot of the kids who learn it will have no Irish connections at all. Elsewhere in Britain, a number of other schools with Catholic/Irish backgrounds also have Gaelic games on their PR curriculum.

Only New York and London (to the best of my knowledge) have participated in the National League and All-Ireland. The same shop that had the New York top (I'm surprised it wasn't written as Gaeilige as 'Nua-Eabhrac') will probably have the green London (or Londain) one as well.

On my last trip back to Derry at Christmas I even saw a New York fire brigades GAA jersey for sale in a shop !

joey B
13/04/2005, 4:36 PM
Gerritt,

There's GAA clubs literally all over the world. Anywhere where you find Irish people - particularly US, Canada, Australia, England, Scotland, Walest etc, but also in places you mightened expect like Hong Kong and Thailand (there's an Asian Championships played every year). The standard is low and the participants are all employed in 'proper jobs' but just fancy a knock-around on the weekend.

In Britain, there are a lot of clubs, including a significant number of University teams who play an annual championship (usually won by Liverpool John Moores Uni).

In the West Midlands in England (i.e. the area around Birmingham) Gaelic games has recently been accepted as a sport on the general curriculum, so will be taught at a great many schools over there. Naturally, a lot of the kids who learn it will have no Irish connections at all. Elsewhere in Britain, a number of other schools with Catholic/Irish backgrounds also have Gaelic games on their PR curriculum.

Only New York and London (to the best of my knowledge) have participated in the National League and All-Ireland. The same shop that had the New York top (I'm surprised it wasn't written as Gaeilige as 'Nua-Eabhrac') will probably have the green London (or Londain) one as well.

On my last trip back to Derry at Christmas I even saw a New York fire brigades GAA jersey for sale in a shop !

GAA players in Ireland are employed in proper jobs aswell you know :rolleyes: :D

boysingreen
15/04/2005, 7:08 AM
It's one of the nicer jerseys the New York GAA strip, if you ask me. Which reminds me, time I picked one up.

Macy
15/04/2005, 8:50 AM
There's GAA clubs literally all over the world.
And where would they be without football, rugby, cricket, etc grounds to play and train in? :rolleyes: *

*not a dig at you steve, just one major thing that písses me off about Rule 42

Junior
15/04/2005, 10:40 AM
And where would they be without football, rugby, cricket, etc grounds to play and train in? :rolleyes: *

Well if they are atraining on cricket pitches its no wonder they struggle to score!

Too much red white & blue for me on the NYFD GAA Jersey :eek:

holidaysong
15/04/2005, 11:57 AM

I have that jersey, 'tis nice :) I also have a Londáin one..

dcfcsteve
15/04/2005, 12:06 PM

Totally agree with you Macy. Sadly, it looks like my fellow Hicks in Ulster will be voting against a change. Hopefully the rest of the country will provide the 2/3rds needed to out-vote the 'not-so-magnificent' seven...... :(

Aberdonian Stu
15/04/2005, 3:05 PM
I have the FDNY Jersey, the regular New York one is nice as well.

Metrostars
15/04/2005, 3:49 PM
New York is voting against the change even though they play on a field owned by a college who use it for soccer and lacrosse.

Gerrit
17/04/2005, 1:30 AM
But why are NY and London included in the Irish championship then and not other American or English clubs and not Barcelona etc ? Why do NY and London want to play in the Irish leagues and why does the All-Ireland board accept them ? (I have nothing against them, but the costs for those two games per season must be killing for the average Irish GAA club)

and the NY GAA club plays in the Bronx ?? there are worse things that can happen to you there than losing a GAA match :D

holidaysong
18/04/2005, 4:03 PM
But why are NY and London included in the Irish championship then and not other American or English clubs and not Barcelona etc ? Why do NY and London want to play in the Irish leagues and why does the All-Ireland board accept them ? (I have nothing against them, but the costs for those two games per season must be killing for the average Irish GAA club)

and the NY GAA club plays in the Bronx ?? there are worse things that can happen to you there than losing a GAA match :D

The London GAA and New York GAA teams that play in the All-Ireland Championship are not clubs but a team chosen from ALL the clubs in London and New York respectively and so pool their resources to make the trip/trips (ususally only need one as they are always knocked out early) over to Ireland. For example the Louth GAA teams would be picked from all the clubs in County Louth, it is not just one small club..

Aberdonian Stu
19/04/2005, 10:37 AM
Yeah the only argument against entry is that North American Board have the best record in the biennial international tournament so perhaps they're more deserving.

THe British club champions take part in the All Ireland club championships in a quarter final with the provinces going in rotation (all four in football not sure about hurling) to play them. Not always a London team, I remember Castelhaven thumping a Manchester team before losing to Kilmacud Crokes in the 1995 All Ireland semi.

There's also some participation the All Ireland Junior football championship, and I would assume in the special junior championship in hurling (or whatever it's called these days). I know Warwickshire have been involved at the business end of the football one a few times.

ruckrover
07/05/2005, 4:02 PM
Yes Gaelic football and to a lesser extent Hurling are starting to go global. Still mainly Irish expats, but in places there are sure signs of locals getting involved.

If the GAA had been a more outward looking organisation then it could be bigger than rugby and approaching even soccer today, given that the Irish diaspora is so vast. But GAA games in most new countries remained the province of the recent Irish immigrants, lack of youth competitions and spread to the general community meant the games have essentially marked time in London and New York for a century and in Australia for half a century.

However that is all starting to change. The lack of new immigrants and "visa players" has led GAA clubs in Nth America, England and Australia to start to look to home-grown talent. In Adelaide, South Australia, 50 years of GAA had dwindled from 10 football teams and 4 hurling teams in the 1960s to close up shop by the late 1990's. A switch to summer nights, initially with 7's, attracted local Aussie rules and soccer players, now there is 9 men's and 6 women's teams and 21 9-a-side teams - 95% of players being born and bred Aussies. Similar in other states of Australia - especially Queensland. Whereas strong Irish visitor numbers to Sydney have kept the local GAA strong but at the same time little growth comparitively to non-Irish participants compared with states like SA and Qld. check out gaelicfootball.com.au (http://www.gaelicfootball.com.au)

In North America there has been a real push for junior development in recent years and each year the continental youth GAA championships grow impressively in numbers and standard. check out Nth American GAA (http://www.nagaa.org) and New York minor board (http://www.nyminorboard.com/) .

In mainland Britain there is also a lot of recent youth development and GAA sports are now on the school curricula. Birmingham (http://www.hoganstand.com/UK/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=44359) is becoming something of a mini-Croke Park for Feile Peile.

London's website (http://www.londongaa.org/ASPfiles/index.asp) reflects new growth in the old GAA county.

And beyond the traditional Irish emigrant countries, more recent expats in the new global village are taking GAA to continental Europe (http://www.tri-g.org/eurogaa/) and Asia (http://www.asiangaelicgames.com/) . In Spain and Belgium the games are getting into school curricula.

But all this could be better coordinated. Aussie rules is in fact doing better as a look at Aussie footy international news site (http://www.worldfootynews.com) shows. Interestingly there is a bit of International rules played by GAA and Aussie rules clubs in USA, Canada, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore - all on an increasingly regular basis.

It is all small stuff compared to world soccer - but at current trends Gaelic football or even the hybrid with Aussie rules could be major world sports by the end of the century. Imagine Germany or the USA bringing a Hurling side to play Ireland at Croke Pk one day. Or a Gaelic football world cup for that matter. There is already a Finnish Hurling club (http://www.ssi-developer.net/finland-gaa/)

I might take liberty, even though this is my first post on foot.ie - to post this as a separate thread also.

Alena
08/06/2005, 9:00 AM
.Here is a little info for you about Hurling, Gaelic Football and Camogie, in America. The North American County Board is the governing body for these games for men and women, in all 50 states of the US, excluding the New York City metropolitan area. In 2004 they had 62 Men's Football Clubs, 29 Hurling Clubs, 21 Ladies Football Clubs, 10 Camogie Clubs, and 12 Youth GAA Clubs (outside New York City who has there own county board). There are 12 divisions set up across the US that are under NACB that help govern certain areas. The championship play-offs are being held in Philly this year September 2nd to 5th and will bring teams from all over America together to compete. Some areas have teams comprised of mostly Americans, some are comprised of mostly Irish (some of who never really played until moving here) and others are evenly mixed it all matters on where you are and how strong the Irish community is there. These sports will continue to grow and thrive here as more and more people hear about them. Most people are intrigued and amazed when the first hear about these games and see them played. You will likely see some amazing players coming from here very soon as teams and players grow and develop and the youth from the youth programs grow up. Hope this clears some things up.

MacAonghusa
08/06/2005, 12:16 PM
There is already a Finnish Hurling club

Not any more, those lads have stopped playing. :(
But there are some small groups around Finland who have tried to get the sport going.

There are a couple of handball clubs there if that counts for anything... ;)