PDA

View Full Version : Cork City 0-0 UCD

pineapple stu
08/04/2005, 9:01 PM
Well, it's a point I'd certainly have settled for beforehand. Couldn't make the match unfortunately (pity too 'cos I enjoy the trips to Cork and meeting the Cork boys) - had to rely on the texty thing, which is very annoying when it's not sending you scores...too much like Aertel! :mad: :) 'Twas mentioned only last week that if Bray could get a point out of Cork, then we could too, though it was more in hope than anything. Must have been an improved performance though. Any of the City lads to pass on their views?

Two away draws against the two main title contenders, which is a good start. Just have to get the games we're expected to win right now and we'll be flying...! Still no goal since Dupuy's though, which is a bit worrying. Also Waterford beat Bohs 2-0, which means they'll be on a high for next week.

Up above Rovers in the league (granted only on goal difference, but every bit helps) - very happy they've had a poor start too as I reckon they'll struggle big-time this season, especially if they're going into examinership as reported in the Mirror today. Level with Bohs! :eek: A point ahead of Harps is encouraging too...

CollegeTillIDie
08/04/2005, 9:37 PM
At last a clean sheet. Surely the first win cannot be far away.
Playing the table toppers at home next week. At least we have a water tight defence. :cool:

pineapple stu
08/04/2005, 9:39 PM
Playing the table toppers at home next week. At least we have a water tight defence. :cool:
What, four from four? ;) And Willie Doyle after breaking his goalscoring duck which stretched back to last June! :eek: :)

CollegeTillIDie
09/04/2005, 7:13 AM
pineapple stu

maybe that goal drought he suffered will continue, after all half the games he failed to score in post June were in Belfield Park. :)

Colie
09/04/2005, 8:04 AM
I'm crappin it for the Waterford game......

CollegeTillIDie
09/04/2005, 9:29 AM
Lads

We have gone a bit like Cork City better away from home than at home. :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
09/04/2005, 2:15 PM
THE STAR April 9 2005 by Mark Mc Cadden( so he doesn't sue :D )
CITY BEAR A CROSS.... Pitch no help to Cork

It's time to dust down the Jekyll and Hyde books at Turner's Cross. Because Cork City will require split personalities if they are to march to the eircom Premier Division crown this season. Forget the pretty passing game they've adapted on the road - when it comes to playing at home they'll have to get down and dirty. Dr Jekyll's uglier alter-ego will have to come out at Turner's Cross if they are to have any joy on the venue's pock-marked and sandy surface. Cork's passes rolled with all the certainty of a rugby ball- and rugby style garryowens will be the order of the day for Cork if the pitch isn't im proved. With the state of the surface, the game was lacking in both quality and chances. It was only in the final 15 minutes that the Leesiders injected some urgency into their play. But by then UCD had shut up shop. They had earned their share of the spoils with a dogged display though they had to hold on towards the end as things got tense down the Shed End. Kevin Doyle showed his class on 78 minutes after good work from George O'Callaghan and Joe Gamble. The Irish Under-21 star raced into the area but his effort was narrowly wide.
Irish U-19 keeper Darren Quigley did well minutes later to keep out an O'Callaghan header from Danny Murphy's free-kick. And the midfielder fired over after Kearney's cross was only half-cleared. Had Cork sneaked a winner though, it would have been cruel on Pete Mahon's Students. UCD showed their aerial threat early on when Robert Martin tested Cork keeper Michael Devine with a header.
CITY: Devine 6; Horgan 6, Bennett 6, Murray 5, Murphy 5; Woods 5, O'Callaghan 6, Gamble 5,Kearney 6 (O'Donovan 87); Doyle 6 Behan 6 (Fenn 78) Entertainment: 5
COLLEGE: Darren Quigley 7; Alan Mahon 6, Alan McNally 7 Tony McDonnell 7 Mick O'Donnell 6; Anto Murphy 7 ( Colm Kierans 85), Gary Dicker 6, Stephen Hurley 6, Pat Mc Walter 6; Robert Martin 6, (? Lynch 90), Damien Dupuy 6( Conor Sammon 67, 6) Entertainment 6
Attendance : 4,000 Weather: Cold and Dry Referee Pat McKeon (Dublin) 6

All stats came from the Star match report.

CollegeTillIDie
09/04/2005, 2:19 PM
Having seen the line up I am not surprised we got the draw. All our most experienced players were in the back four. :D

pineapple stu
09/04/2005, 2:32 PM
Who was Lynch who came on? Only person I can think of is Aidan Lynch - have we signed him on non-contract terms like Seán Finn last season? :confused:

No sign of Conor Kenna though - still injured? Conor Sammon making his debut - must have sent shivers through the Cork lads after the U-21 final last season when he scored the winner! Presume Gallagher was on the bench - who else? Gannon? Or not Gannon?! :eek:

Fair_play_boy
09/04/2005, 3:00 PM
Must have been an improved performance though. Any of the City lads to pass on their views?I put my own views here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=23910). However, not all City fans see eye to eye with my view of the game.

pineapple stu
10/04/2005, 2:05 AM
'Twas interesting...was talking to some of the players this evening...they said while it wasn't a great performance, they certainly didn't set out for the draw and were looking for the win, which they said they were unfortunate in places not to get... Though I suppose they would say that!

Fair_play_boy
10/04/2005, 7:28 PM
'Twas interesting...was talking to some of the players this evening...they said while it wasn't a great performance, they certainly didn't set out for the draw and were looking for the win, which they said they were unfortunate in places not to get... Though I suppose they would say that!No, to be fair, the college lads had all the appearances of a team in the hunt for a win. They made the most of our weak centre half, by raiding through his patch when they could. And in the last 10 minutes, I couldn't help noticing the UCD players urging the keeper to hurry on with his kick outs! Not a sign that they were glad to settle for a draw by any means!

pineapple stu
10/04/2005, 8:47 PM
Who was Lynch who came on? Only person I can think of is Aidan Lynch - have we signed him on non-contract terms like Seán Finn last season? :confused:

No sign of Conor Kenna though - still injured? Conor Sammon making his debut - must have sent shivers through the Cork lads after the U-21 final last season when he scored the winner! Presume Gallagher was on the bench - who else? Gannon? Or not Gannon?! :eek:
Answering my own questions here - 'twas Aidan Lynch who came on - he has re-signed. Kenna was the unused sub and should be back for next week. If he can get back in the team!

CollegeTillIDie
11/04/2005, 8:24 PM
Yes Aido's back in the fold. And that is a real boost. Spoke to Tony Mac on the blower. The lads were delighted with the performance and reckon they have done enough to keep the back four intact for next week. So expect to see Mahon, McDonnell , Mc Nally and O'Donnell .... the firm in place on Friday :D

Poor Student
11/04/2005, 8:31 PM
Does the midfield not lack a bit of strength without Tony Mac?

Aberdonian Stu
12/04/2005, 10:05 AM
Well my greatest concern is that Tony Mc isn't a centre-back, pure and simple. And his aerial prowess is non-existent despite being so bloody tall.

Bald Student
12/04/2005, 10:52 AM
Is there any point to playing Tony in centre back if that means putting Aidan Lynch on the bench? Surley Aidan will start once he's fit and Tony will move up to midfield,

pineapple stu
12/04/2005, 12:34 PM
There's always Kenna though - he was on the bench against Cork, so he's back fit again. The defence has looked much stronger since Micko went left-back, but I do think that Dicker and Hurley is a bit too much inexperience in the centre-mid. Kenna in centre-back and Tony Mac in centre-mid is probably best, though Aidan Lynch can slot in either of those positions as well.

CollegeTillIDie
12/04/2005, 7:39 PM
The Under 21's game on Sunday finished 2-1 to St.Pat's but 6-7 of the side are injured. Shorthall went to hospital with concussion, Hurley got injured as did 3-4 others. So I think Aidan Lynch may get a lot more football either from the bench or starting than might otherwise have been in Pete Mahon's thinking originally.

pineapple stu
12/04/2005, 7:45 PM
Thought that was on - didn't see any results anywhere though. Who scored?

CollegeTillIDie
12/04/2005, 7:47 PM
I'll have to ask Liam's( the centre-half man of the match v the ****ies in the final last season) Dad when I see him tomorrow evening on my home from work.

Poor Student
12/04/2005, 8:52 PM
Shorthall went to hospital with concussion, Hurley got injured as did 3-4 others. So I think Aidan

What the hell happened!? :eek: