PDA

View Full Version : First gig, and best gig you ever went to

Pages : [1] 2

Fair_play_boy
08/04/2005, 11:27 AM
First gig? Gary Glitter, 1975 at The Savoy. I cringe now when I think of it.
Best gig? Slane 1984. UB40, In Tua Nua, someone else, and finally Bob Dylan. It was vintage Bob. He played one encore with Carlos Santana, Bono, Paul Brady and Van Morrison on stage with him. Another encore was just him and an acoustic guitar. A third was for 45 incredible minutes, and was devoted to the Blond on Blond double album. Best night's music of my life. Sigh, if I live long enough for time travel to get cheap, I will land myself back there.

thecorner
08/04/2005, 11:29 AM
best gig...cure wish tour at the point. played for nearly 3 hours

first was nik kershaw at the city hall :o

Éanna
08/04/2005, 11:33 AM
not sure what my first was, but the best was definitely Rock-am-Ring (http://www.rock-am-ring.com/) over in Germany 3 years ago. Kosheen and Groove Armada were the two who stood out for me over the weekend.

Pat O' Banton
08/04/2005, 11:56 AM
First gig was ultimate shoegazers Chapterhouse August/September 1991. Was, even for the inexperianced gig goer a rubbish set.

Best, Inspiral Carpets, Brixton Acadamy somepoint in 1993, My Bloody Valentine at the old Town and Country, December 1991, The Pogues December 2001 at Brixton Acadamy.

Just to extend the worst was probably Blur at the Rollercoaster tour Brixton (again!) April 1992.

Just to add in another section; funniest 'The Shirehorses' Town and Country about four years back, simply hilarious.

Lionel Ritchie
08/04/2005, 12:17 PM
first gig was Howard Jones in the (old) savoy, Limerick in 1987. :D

Best gig's tough one so i'll just give a couple of standouts...

Billy Bragg (Feile 91, Thurles)

Alabama 3 (Cork Opera House, 2001)

David Bowie (Phoenix Festival, Strat U Avon, 1997)

Big Star (Flevolands Pop Festival, Holland 1993)

and finally I swear I'm not kidding

Metallitia (Dublin based Metallica tribute -Dolans, Limerick 2004) enjoyed them more than I did the real thing at the RDS last year.

fosterdollar
08/04/2005, 12:21 PM
First gig: The Frames in Longford (July 95)
Last gig: Chemical Brothers at The Point (March 05)
Best gig: Chemical Brothers at Oxegen (July 04)
Worst gig: Finlay Quaye at Slane (August 98) / Snow Patrol at The RDS (December 04)

Fair_play_boy
08/04/2005, 3:54 PM
Worst gig has to be the Siamsa Cois Laoi (remember those in Pairc UI Caoimh?) the year that Kris Kristofferson played. Even he looked bored!
Most unusual gig (in hindsight, that is) was seeing U2 playing support to Freddie White in the Opera House around 1978 / 1979. :D

ken foree
08/04/2005, 9:07 PM
Big Star (Flevolands Pop Festival, Holland 1993)

nice, esp. since i've read they were never really a 'live' band back in their day. was it everyone together except chris bell do you know?

1st real rock gig was sinead o'connor the night after she caused a storm in the state of new jersey for not allowing the american national anthem to be played before the gig.

loudest - sigur ros (even louder than 14th row at zoo tv :eek: )

out and out best is very tough, ween on the womad tour were amazing, david byrne a year ago was mindblowing.

Snoop Drog
09/04/2005, 1:19 AM
First Gig: Megadeth at the Olympic Ballrooms, Dublin. Think it was May '88.

Last Gig: REM at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, Sydney Australia Mar '05.

Best Gig: Radiohead at The Olympia, Dublin (maybe 1994??).

Worst Gig: Massive Attack at the SEC, Sydney in 2004.

sylvo
10/04/2005, 2:17 AM
sylvo coudl u please log out!!!!....Thomo

onenilgameover
10/04/2005, 2:50 AM
First outdoor gig i think was me first was sunstroke 93/92 with Belly, Sonic Youth and Faith No More

Best gig : Portishead Glastonbury 98

Worst gig: Jaysus seen so many but Paddy Casey seems to do his best.

Last gig : Last night great covers band doin eighties tunes in a jumpsuit. Springbreak's the name and they were a good laugh will be back for seconds. Sugar club in Dublin not a bad spot for a gig too.

James
10/04/2005, 10:29 AM
first gig: something happens in connollys of leap.. circa early 90's

best: REM slane / radiohead rds / frames in a planetarium czech / u2 landsdowne road / manics trip to tipp / snowpatrol oxygen last year / mark geary the lobby 2003

last gig: saw the subways in cruiscin lan (tittoks band ;))

niamh
10/04/2005, 11:26 AM
First gig was Slane the year of Happy Mondays, Stereophonics, Robbie Williams.

A couple of gigs stand out.
Muse in the Olympia around this time last year.
System of a Down, Ozzfest, Punchestown
Turn in Whelans just before Gavin left.

I'm sure I've forgotten loads of obvious one.

the timeline is just one big blurr.

James
10/04/2005, 11:51 AM
Turn in Whelans just before Gavin left..

**** yeah good gig, also his last gig i think turn were supporting the frames in vicar street..

tiktok
10/04/2005, 1:33 PM
First gig - The Four of us/The Stunning around 1989/90

Best Gig - Big day out - 1997(ish) I'm rubbish on dates. A line-up made especially for me at the time, Divine Comedy, the Cardigans, the Bluetones, Neneh Cherry and Radiohead headlining.

Worst Gig - The Vines in Portland, Or. went through the motions, then at the end of a half hearted encore thrashed a guitar to send the girls down the front home happy.

tiktok
10/04/2005, 1:34 PM
last gig: saw the subways in cruiscin lan (tittoks band ;))

I wonder is that mis-spelling a bit of a freudian slip James? :D :D

James
10/04/2005, 1:43 PM
Best Gig - Big day out - 1997(ish) I'm rubbish on dates. A line-up made especially for me at the time, Divine Comedy, the Cardigans, the Bluetones, Neneh Cherry and Radiohead headlining.

yeah another good one for sure, was at that too

saw a good counting crows gig in the olympia too, some year back
watercress in connollys
something happens / the stunning in henrys
whipping boy in the pumphouse circa 95/96 (now reardons ugh).. gig was oversold out.. placed packed beyond capacity, ppl outside with tickets not let in, and an amazing set

cullenswood
10/04/2005, 1:58 PM

Was that in Galway?? 1998 I believe the same weekend of the World Cup Final in Paris

tiktok
10/04/2005, 2:02 PM
Was that in Galway?? 1998 I believe the same weekend of the World Cup Final in Paris

You're right, it was '98, we came back into Galway afterwards and watched Sonia O'Sullivan run off the track at the olympics, and then started pitching a tent at about three o'clock in the morning. Great days :D

skitz3
10/04/2005, 6:51 PM
First gig : David Gray at marley park a few years ago
Worst gig: 21st Century Doors at the point last year also my last gig i think
Best gig : Bruce Springsteen at the RDS last year or year before

Lionel Ritchie
10/04/2005, 7:09 PM
nice, esp. since i've read they were never really a 'live' band back in their day. was it everyone together except chris bell do you know?

1st real rock gig was sinead o'connor the night after she caused a storm in the state of new jersey for not allowing the american national anthem to be played before the gig.

loudest - sigur ros (even louder than 14th row at zoo tv :eek: )

out and out best is very tough, ween on the womad tour were amazing, david byrne a year ago was mindblowing.

Yeah they'd two of the lads from the posies filling the line up out a bit.
Walked on like a bunch of lost middle aged chemistry teachers who'd taken a wrong turn and introduced themselves "Hi there ...we're Teenage Fanclub".
Brilliant!!! Set was pure class.

Fair_play_boy
13/04/2005, 11:59 PM
Walked on like a bunch of lost middle aged chemistry teachers who'd taken a wrong turn and introduced themselves "Hi there ...we're Teenage Fanclub".
Brilliant!!! Set was pure class.Good description there, LR. I can nearly see them!

Gareth
14/04/2005, 11:13 AM
First Gig - Haven't a clue. Somewhere back in 94/95 but if I was really pushing the gig description, I was at a band a week every week since I was a small guy in local pubs "down the country".

Best Gig - Couple stand out.
Muse - Olympia
PJ Harvey - Olympia
Tom McRae - Whelans
Mark Geary - Whelans
Queens of the Stone Age - Slane
Josh Ritter - Olympia

I am sure I am forgetting unbelievable gigs. Just the first few to mind. Worst Gig could be one of the bands playing in Eamon Dorans during the Hard Working Heroes Weekend.

Terry
14/04/2005, 11:28 AM
First gig GUNS N' ROSES -slane '92 (i think)
Best gig U2 same venue, second visit (the one that didnt have the peppers preforming , but there was a duet with moby and Fr. Dugal Mc Guire with "my lovely horse") Brilliant :D

ken foree
14/04/2005, 2:56 PM
Brilliant!!! Set was pure class.

hehee that's great

Nempton
14/04/2005, 5:02 PM
First gig - House of Pain, Theatre Royal, Limerick, 1994. It also counts as the worst gig.

Best gig's - Evan Dando, Dolans Warehouse, Limerick, 2002.
Beck, Point, Dublin, 2003.
Blur, Point + RDS, Dublin, 1995-1997.
Pixies, Phoenix Park, Dublin, 2004.
The Alvin Purple Experience, whenever I saw them in Limerick.
The Hitchers, their first official farewell gig, 2001, Limerick.

Lim till i die
15/04/2005, 10:37 AM
Best gig - Pixies, Phoenix Park, absolutely brilliant

Wost gig - Probably RHCP on the same night.....Yawn

CollegeTillIDie
16/04/2005, 5:44 PM
Ok First gig Was in Canada when I was about 5 I think it was the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem at some Exhibition Centre in Montreal.

Best gig... Ok in Ireland it was Roxy Music at the RDS in 1982
outside Ireland... Gary Numan at Wembley Arena in April 1981..
One of those you had to be there moments.

Worst gig.. one I played at... A Battle of The Bands heat at The Underground in 1988. A so called friend of one of the members handcuffed himself while ****ed to the microphone stand. Plus the stage was so narrow the band had to line up in single file like a queue for the jacks total nightmare! :eek:

holidaysong
17/04/2005, 11:51 AM
Best gig - Pixies, Phoenix Park, absolutely brilliant

Wost gig - Probably RHCP on the same night.....Yawn

Amen to that! Although I think Frank Black & Catholics was better in vicar street Oct '03 than him with Pixies...

Gerrit
17/04/2005, 4:30 PM
My best concert experience was Marilyn Manson back in Leuven/Belgium in 2003. I was a fan of his music for years but never had the chance to see him live. Then finally my chance came, but I was so stressed that I arrived with a burning headache. I took an aspirine but that takes a while before it starts to work and I already kinda accepted the gig would be a disappointment. But Marilyn had to record a video for his new single backstage, and therefor the gig started with two hours delay. And that proved just enough for the aspirine to work, and by the time he came on stage my headache was gone. It was a great setlist and a superb performance, and afterwards I even met two of the band members... It was a great night.
I saw Manson twice afterwards that year, but the first time's always the most unique one (sounds almost like a quote from a sex messageboards :D )

Other great gigs I have been to:

The Levellers - Ghent (BE), 2003
Placebo - Brussels (BE), 2003
Placebo - Lille (FR), 2003
Placebo - Arras' medieval market square (FR), 2004
Heather Nova - Ostend (BE), 2001
Heather Nova - Tongeren (BE), 2002
Heideroosjes - Kortrijk (BE), 2002
Heideroosjes - Erpe-Mere (BE), 2003
Echo & The Bunnymen - Brussels (BE), 2003
Echo & The Bunnymen - Liverpool (UK), 2004
Manic Street Preachers - Dublin (IE), 2004
Paul McCartney - Antwerp (BE), 2003

Bands I definitely wanna see once:

Indochine (preferably in the Bercy hall in Paris)
Bauhaus (if ever the chance is there, hopefully)
Muse
Blutengel (will normally see them in autumn in UK)
Black Sabbath (will normally see them this summer)

onenilgameover
18/04/2005, 3:44 AM
Paul McCartney - Antwerp (BE), 2003

Paul's hardly goth rock now is he..? or was that the Wings album I missed?

Lim till i die
18/04/2005, 10:11 AM
Amen to that! Although I think Frank Black & Catholics was better in vicar street Oct '03 than him with Pixies...

Anybody know if the great man will be back in any shape or form soon?

(Wildly off-topic I know) :o

Countyman
18/04/2005, 12:45 PM
First gig : The The in The Point around 1990
Best Gig : see above or Feile 92 (Christy in the rain / A house / David Byrne )
Worst Gig : That free gig in the Phoenix park around '92 / '93
Last Gig : 21st Century Doors
Next Gig : U2 in Croker

Lionel Ritchie
18/04/2005, 12:52 PM
First gig - House of Pain, Theatre Royal, Limerick, 1994. It also counts as the worst gig.

Best gig's - Evan Dando, Dolans Warehouse, Limerick, 2002.
Beck, Point, Dublin, 2003.
Blur, Point + RDS, Dublin, 1995-1997.
Pixies, Phoenix Park, Dublin, 2004.
The Alvin Purple Experience, whenever I saw them in Limerick.
The Hitchers, their first official farewell gig, 2001, Limerick.

Small world Nempton. Was at most of the gigs mentioned. Played drums with the two highlighted (sub with APE ...I was the legendary Wolfgang Bierfahrt -their trusty stand in sticksman all the way from Fukstopping, Austria. :p
Good days indeed.

noby
18/04/2005, 1:10 PM
Small world Nempton. Was at most of the gigs mentioned. Played drums with the two highlighted (sub with APE ...I was the legendary Wolfgang Bierfahrt -their trusty stand in sticksman all the way from Fukstopping, Austria. :p
Good days indeed.

Small world indeed. I saw A.P.E. several times. Always a good laugh.

Anyway, my memory isn't the best, but my first 'proper' gig was either Sultans in Conna castle, or UB40 in Waterford. Only went to UB40 because they were supported by a local band, the wishing stones. Can't remember which was first though.

Some notable ones include:

Spiritualized - Feile ('92 or'93 I think)
Tindersticks - Nancy Spains, Cork
Bad Manners - Forum, Waterford
Morrissey - Opera house, Cork
Wedding Present - every time I saw them, including last feb.
Friday night in Feile '94ish - Teenage Fanclub, Manics, Iggy Pop all on one stage.

"Anybody know if the great man will be back in any shape or form soon?"

Heard something about Pixies in Lansdowne this summer

carrickharp
18/04/2005, 1:19 PM
First and best: Guns N Roses/Faith No More/My Little Funhouse Slane May 92
Also worth a mension: Slayer June 2000 SFX, Megadeth (a few years back also SFX).

Worst: Bon Jovi 2000(??) RDS it ****ed rain so went to the pub half way trough, serves me right for going in the first place :o

holidaysong
18/04/2005, 2:28 PM
Anybody know if the great man will be back in any shape or form soon?

(Wildly off-topic I know) :o

Pixies doing US and European festival dates through summer, no Irish one though.. :(

Nempton
20/04/2005, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by Lionel Ritchie
Small world Nempton. Was at most of the gigs mentioned. Played drums with the two highlighted (sub with APE ...I was the legendary Wolfgang Bierfahrt -their trusty stand in sticksman all the way from Fukstopping, Austria.
Nice to have a legend such as yourself Herr Bierfahrt amongst us. I was disappointed that I missed APE's gig in Dolans recently, I was in Barcelona. I suppose you don't know if they will be playing again soon?

ken foree
20/04/2005, 3:49 PM
Spiritualized - Feile ('92 or'93 I think)

oof, woulda loved to have seen them around that period

paul_oshea
20/04/2005, 3:52 PM
Also worth a mension: Slayer June 2000 SFX, Megadeth (a few years back also SFX).

flew over from orrafffertys for both of them.

dave mustaine brought on the irish flag wrapped it around him and said "you guys no a lot about this next song you can relate to it"... and on comes holy wars. i actually thought the sound was very poor that night.

slayer was great that time in the sfx, far better than the next two times. bitter peace was great, the intro everyone head banging together.

Gerrit
20/04/2005, 8:18 PM
Paul's hardly goth rock now is he..? or was that the Wings album I missed?

No, and I will prefer goth rock anytime. But it's not like I have a tunnel sight and cannot appreciate something unless it's goth.

I am not a Beatles fan, I don't dislike them at all and they did a fair amount of good work, but they don't move me. Fair play to Paul McCartney for chosing a very good setlist which happened to contain most of the Beatles and solo stuff I like and only a few of the Beatles songs I don't like. The atmosphere was great as well.

It was a great concert year. I saw some of the all-time legends (Rolling Stones, McCartney) and all my favourites (Heather Nova, Levellers, Marilyn Manson, Echo & The Bunnymen, Ian McCulloch, Placebo, even 18 Summers) all in the same year !

rebs23
21/04/2005, 1:35 PM
First- Make It Work RDS Dublin
Last- Dimitri From Paris Savoy Cork
Best - joint tie here between Sisters of Mercy Henrys Cork and Nirvana/Sonic Youth Henrys Cork (both around 91/92 I think must look at stubs)
Worst- Reading the year it ****ed rain and I didn't bother staying til the end or watching any bands. I swore never to go to an outdoor gig again and I haven't. Fxxking hate those so called big day outs.

ken foree
21/04/2005, 2:12 PM
Nirvana/Sonic Youth Henrys Cork (both around 91/92 I think must look at stubs)

whoa!

noby
21/04/2005, 3:04 PM
Nirvana/Sonic Youth

Shouldn't that be Sonic Youth/Nirvana. At the time Nirvana were relatively unknown support band, about to explode onto the scene

Fair_play_boy
21/04/2005, 5:20 PM
Aaah, just remembered being one of about 4000 souls crammed into the Arcadia around 1979 for The Cimarons, a reggae band I never before heard about.
All night I was covered in sweat, mostly other people's, but it didn't matter. These were the heady days before the Stardust tragedy.
About a year later, on New years Day, Rory Gallagher at City Hall was the business.

Pat O' Banton
21/04/2005, 7:21 PM
Forgot about Spiritualized at the old Town and Country in April 1992 was blow away stuff. Also went to see Colchester beat Witton Albion in the FA Trophy final that day.

rebs23
22/04/2005, 8:20 AM
"Shouldn't that be Sonic Youth/Nirvana. At the time Nirvana were relatively unknown support band, about to explode onto the scene"

Quite correct Noby!!

speedking
22/04/2005, 9:43 AM
First: Bon Jovi in the Point, 1995. :o
Best: The Haunted, supported by Stampin Ground and December, in Whelan's 2003.

liam88
22/04/2005, 9:45 AM
First: The Levelers-Guildford when I was about 8
Best: Saw Docters-Trafalgar Sqaure-St. Patricks day 2005 :D

Lionel Ritchie
22/04/2005, 9:50 AM
"Shouldn't that be Sonic Youth/Nirvana. At the time Nirvana were relatively unknown support band, about to explode onto the scene"

Quite correct Noby!!
A mate of mine met Thurston Moore AND Kurt Cobain in Comet on Washington Street the afternoon before the gig. Moore was buying demoes by local bands.