PDA

View Full Version : Time-Wasting

mypost
08/04/2005, 4:31 AM
One of my pet hates in football is how teams waste time in games. Some teams have goalkeepers who take ages to take goal-kicks, and some change the side where they take goal-kicks. Others have players who stay down for longer than necessary after a challenge. Other teams players kick the ball away. Coaches too make injury time subs, to waste time.

But the one I hate most, is teams playing corner-flag football near the end of games, even if one of my teams benefits. They should be punished by conceding a free-kick, and recieve a yellow card. Keeping the ball at the flag is guaranteed to lose you possession, by conceding a free-kick or goal kick. The player also risks getting a bad challenge from a frustrated defender. It would be better to try to score than hold the ball up.

One such example was the Rovers game at Finn Harps. We were attacking with 5 minutes to go, when one of our players decided to hold the ball up in the corner. Then he lost possession, Harps got a throw-in, and scored their equalizer in injury time. We could have scored from that attack to win the game, but we kept the ball in the corner, and it cost us 2 points. :mad:

The same happened to us in Israel, how many times did we hold the ball up, instead of attacking the opposition, and we were punished in injury time. If we attacked the Israelis, we would probably have scored a few more goals, and throwing away 2 points could affect our bid to qualify. When will coaches ever learn? If players were booked for it, it would soon stop. It's better to try to score than hold the ball up in the corner, only to lose it and risk losing what you have.

bluemovie
08/04/2005, 1:21 PM
But the one I hate most, is teams playing corner-flag football near the end of games, even if one of my teams benefits. They should be punished by conceding a free-kick, and recieve a yellow card. Keeping the ball at the flag is guaranteed to lose you possession, by conceding a free-kick or goal kick. The player also risks getting a bad challenge from a frustrated defender. It would be better to try to score than hold the ball up.

What the Hell are you talking about? :eek: How can a player be booked for legally keeping the ball at his feet or passing to a nearby team-mate?? If keeping the ball is guaranteed to lose you possession, then why would you need to be booked for it? Surely Ronaldinho and Zidane are the worst players in the world in that case.

The worst thing in football is a glory-hunting striker taking a pot-shot in the last minute, then expecting his knackered team-mates to pick up the pieces when the ball comes down the other end again. It's a basic mental skill of the game to know when to hold the ball. If your defence need the pressure relieved in the last minute, then the forward should take the ball to the corner. It's a team game. If he gets clattered by "a frustrated defender", so what.....he wins a free, the other team can't get the ball to score and his team wins the game.

By the way, I'm a centre half in case you didn't guess. :D

BobtheDrog
08/04/2005, 1:51 PM
One of my pet hates in football is how teams waste time in games. Some teams have goalkeepers who take ages to take goal-kicks, and some change the side where they take goal-kicks. Others have players who stay down for longer than necessary after a challenge. Other teams players kick the ball away. Coaches too make injury time subs, to waste time.

One such example was the Rovers game at Finn Harps. We were attacking with 5 minutes to go, when one of our players decided to hold the ball up in the corner. Then he lost possession, Harps got a throw-in, and scored their equalizer in injury time. We could have scored from that attack to win the game, but we kept the ball in the corner, and it cost us 2 points. :mad:

The same happened to us in Israel, how many times did we hold the ball up, instead of attacking the opposition, and we were punished in injury time. If we attacked the Israelis, we would probably have scored a few more goals, and throwing away 2 points could affect our bid to qualify. When will coaches ever learn? If players were booked for it, it would soon stop. It's better to try to score than hold the ball up in the corner, only to lose it and risk losing what you have.

U really wudnt have enjoyed that drogs pats match last week

BohDiddley
08/04/2005, 2:22 PM
Are you any good? What are your terms?

bluemovie
09/04/2005, 3:00 PM
Are you any good? What are your terms?

Put it this way, I'm better than Jimmy Aggrey, but a couple of inches shorter.

BohDiddley
09/04/2005, 5:48 PM
In that case, you're hired, once you understand that we're skint and can't pay you. Jimmy Aggrey is our best player. He's scored more than Glen Crowe.

Coltron
10/04/2005, 12:16 PM
I agree completely with you Mypost. It annoys me when I see players running to corner flags with the ball in a pathetic attempt to waste a few seconds. My view on it is that its a sign of desperation and a distinct lack of belief. The amount of cash in the game now, results, not quality of football or any other values for that matter, is paramount. If players believed in themselves and were not afraid of the ball in the dying moments of the game and took some responsibilty them this mightn't be as prominant as it is. Do you think you would see AC Milan, Real Madrid or Brasil running to the corner in desperation? To pick a good example, Roy Keane, when time is running out and he has the ball does he put his head down and try to blast the ball out of the stadium? No, he looks for a team mate and plays a nice short pass. He is a superb player and his true quality shines true in times like these. If only others took a leaf from his book instead from some other insecure, cheat.

pineapple stu
10/04/2005, 9:09 PM
I agree completely with you Mypost. It annoys me when I see players running to corner flags with the ball in a pathetic attempt to waste a few seconds. My view on it is that its a sign of desperation and a distinct lack of belief.
Ask John Barnes if he agrees with you after the end to the 1989/90 season!

Andy Townsend against Italy in 1994 remembered that game when he had the ball in injury time and ran into the corner - no complaints then!

If the ball's in play, there's nothing wrong with it really. What does annoy me (not time-wasting really) is standing in front of an opponent to shield the ball out of play while making no attempt to play the ball - surely obstruction and an indirect free kick in?

mypost
11/04/2005, 4:43 AM
What the Hell are you talking about? :eek: How can a player be booked for legally keeping the ball at his feet or passing to a nearby team-mate?? If keeping the ball is guaranteed to lose you possession, then why would you need to be booked for it? Surely Ronaldinho and Zidane are the worst players in the world in that case. It's a basic mental skill of the game to know when to hold the ball. If your defence need the pressure relieved in the last minute, then the forward should take the ball to the corner. It's a team game. If he gets clattered by "a frustrated defender", so what.....he wins a free, the other team can't get the ball to score and his team wins the game.

That doesn't mean it's not time-wasting. Refs book goalkeepers for taking too long for goal-kicks, book players for time-wasting at free-kicks, award throw-ins for the opposition when a player wastes time preparing to throw it. So why should playing keepy-uppy in the corner go unpunished? A Shels player was sent off against Cork recently when the ball was down by the corner flag. If a player gets clattered by a defender, he could get a serious injury.

As regards Andy Townsend against Italy, yes agreed, but it didn't happen as much then, as now. When teams play the ball down in the corner, they invariably lose the ball soon afterwards, conceding a free-kick or throw in. Sometimes, the other team then scores, and you end up losing what you have. So, it can be a self-defeating tactic also. If refs cracked down on it, it wouldn't happen anymore.

pineapple stu
11/04/2005, 12:40 PM
Refs book goalkeepers for taking too long for goal-kicks, book players for time-wasting at free-kicks, award throw-ins for the opposition when a player wastes time preparing to throw it. So why should playing keepy-uppy in the corner go unpunished?
Technical answer - which it sounds like you know anyway - is that for the others, the ball isn't in play. I don't think the definition of time-wasting covers incidents when the ball is in play. This is probably because when the ball is in play, the opposition are able to win the ball back, whereas they can't when it's out of play.

Never bothered me before, to be honest. Really don't think there's anything you can do about it either, because it's the kind of thing which would be very difficult to define in the rules.

De Town
16/04/2005, 5:35 PM
On the note of time wasting.....

I was at an U-11's match this morning. One of the teams were 3-0 up with 4-5 minutes to play, and the coach was screaming at the players to put the ball in the corner and hold it there :mad: Is it any wonder that players go into the corners to waste time when they are being trained to do it at 11 years old :mad:

mypost
18/04/2005, 4:27 AM
At 3-0, that's taking the pis. They were hardly going to lose, were they? :mad:

One way of stopping the practice, is for referees to add on the time at the end of the game that is wasted down there, when a team is not actively trying to play the ball. Yes, the ball is is play, but as it is time-wasting, it's no different in my eyes to taking longer than necessary to take throw-ins, free-kicks, goal-kicks, treatment for injuries, and substitutions. All of that time-wasting makes up stoppage time, of which the time of "corner-flag" football should also be included. As it would then be a self-defeating tactic, it would soon stop.

Hibs4Ever
18/04/2005, 7:51 AM
On a slightly different note, something I REALLY hate is players sheilding the ball out of play. It's clearly obstruction and would be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch :mad:

fosterdollar
18/04/2005, 7:58 AM
On a slightly different note, something I REALLY hate is players sheilding the ball out of play. It's clearly obstruction and would be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch :mad:
A classic example of this was demonstrated by Shearer yesterday. Should have been a free kick at least.

monkey magic
18/04/2005, 3:59 PM
At 3-0, that's taking the pis. They were hardly going to lose, were they? :mad:

One way of stopping the practice, is for referees to add on the time at the end of the game that is wasted down there, when a team is not actively trying to play the ball. Yes, the ball is is play, but as it is time-wasting, it's no different in my eyes to taking longer than necessary to take throw-ins, free-kicks, goal-kicks, treatment for injuries, and substitutions. All of that time-wasting makes up stoppage time, of which the time of "corner-flag" football should also be included. As it would then be a self-defeating tactic, it would soon stop.

way too hard to define;
1. how long do add on? surely ur not expecting the referee to time how long a player is on the ball :confused:
2. how do you define time wasting?? if a team take a short corner, does the referee add on the ten seconds of so it takes to get in the cross :rolleyes:

any such rule would be a case of rulemaking gone stupid. the simple fact is you cannot lagislate for every little annoying aspect of the game, and in any case the opposing team has the option of absolutely creaming the player in question :D that will make him tink twice bout doing it again... :cool:

the fact of the matter is the ball is still in play and so its up to the opposing team to regain possesion.

monkey magic
18/04/2005, 4:19 PM
But when would we ever get to see Eric Lavine doing Samba ?? :p

:p :p come to think of, unless my eyes decieved me, eric was up to his old tricks in the corner against bray on sat nite...

mypost
21/04/2005, 3:47 AM
way too hard to define;
1. how long do add on? surely ur not expecting the referee to time how long a player is on the ball :confused:
2. how do you define time wasting?? if a team take a short corner, does the referee add on the ten seconds of so it takes to get in the cross

Refs time how long it takes to take goal-kicks, free-kicks, subs etc, stop the watch, and add on the time at the end. They should also add it on, for the ball been kept in the corner-flag, as a) the ball is not been actively played, and b) is wasting time. You can't have rules for one act of time-wasting, and different rules for others. So time should be added on should happen when players waste time at the corner.

If your team is losing, it's frustrating, because it's time-wasting. If you're winning, it's frustrating, because 1) you want to get another goal to be certain of victory, it's 2) boring, and 3) you're guaranteed to lose possession at the end of it.

bluemovie
21/04/2005, 10:42 AM
In that case the ref should have stopped his watch every time Jose Quitongo got the ball for us at the end of last season! Or when Nunez does for Liverpool.....games would go on all night.

Stevo Da Gull
21/04/2005, 11:16 PM
Lads when the ball is in play, for example a team holding the ball by the corner flag, this is simply smart play. It frustrates the opposition who often end up giving away free-kicks by challenging too rashly to get the ball back because times running out. And if the tackle is a clean one then the ball will usually go out for a corner or throw-in to the leading side, it is simply smart tactics and fair tactics at that (even though it does'nt look pretty). If you were to make a rule in football where you always had to be attacking it would ruin the game.

Stalling on free-kicks and the like is a different matter and a booking is appropriate when such incidences occur.

crc
21/04/2005, 11:38 PM
What does annoy me (not time-wasting really) is standing in front of an opponent to shield the ball out of play while making no attempt to play the ball - surely obstruction and an indirect free kick in? I get annoyed at this too. The reason why its technically not obstruction when a player shields the ball out, is because he is deemed to be in possession of the ball (even though he hasn't touched it).

I think it would be better if a player wasn't allowed to shepard the ball out in this way unless he has actually touched the ball (of course he wouldn't let it go out then, would he?). This rule would work on the same principle as the back-pass law - the idea being that it is better for the game to keep the ball in play.

mypost
07/05/2005, 4:18 AM
Two more notable incidents of "corner-flag" football, with contrasting results.

When Cork tried it while winning 3-1 at Rovers, they played keepy-uppy in the corner. What happened? A 15-player scrap ensued, and 2 players were sent off as a result. It could have been avoided, if the ball was played into the box. Cork weren't going to lose, were they?

During the 6 minutes of injury time at Anfield in the Liverpool-Chelsea CL game, Harry Kewell tried the same tactic, instead of looking to score another goal. Eventually, he lost the ball, and it almost proved costly when in the 6th minute of injury time, EG fired wide when free in the box. If it had gone in, how would Kewell have felt then? As he was wasting time, the sooner refs add on the time spent in the corner, the better for football. :mad:

Bald Student
07/05/2005, 12:40 PM
the sooner refs add on the time spent in the corner, the better for football.I don't agree, it's not the ref's job to judge on a players tactics. If you believe playing in the corner is a bad idea then you can choose not to play their yourself. If another player or coach thinks the opposite, then they can play accordingly.

GavinZac
08/05/2005, 10:00 AM
Refs time how long it takes to take goal-kicks, free-kicks, subs etc, stop the watch, and add on the time at the end. They should also add it on, for the ball been kept in the corner-flag, as a) the ball is not been actively played, and b) is wasting time. You can't have rules for one act of time-wasting, and different rules for others. So time should be added on should happen when players waste time at the corner.

If your team is losing, it's frustrating, because it's time-wasting. If you're winning, it's frustrating, because 1) you want to get another goal to be certain of victory, it's 2) boring, and 3) you're guaranteed to lose possession at the end of it.

you're completely wrong and its a silly idea.

sure its frustrating. its meant to be

would you prefer they pass the ball around the back line? because i dont see the difference other than the extra security of being as far from your goals as possible and with a chance of winning a corner.
what about liverpool's tactics against chelsea? they defended for almost every minute of the game. should they have been stopped? after all, they werent being constructive and going out for the next goal.
tell you what, lets eliminate defenders all together. and tackling. that way teams will be attacking all the time. we can speed it up too by having a shot-clock, 30 seconds to shoot or you lose the ball. and play it indoors, with cheerleaders. and give 3 goals for a shot outside the box. and...

Da Real Rover
08/05/2005, 1:00 PM
you're completely wrong and its a silly idea.

sure its frustrating. its meant to be

would you prefer they pass the ball around the back line? because i dont see the difference other than the extra security of being as far from your goals as possible and with a chance of winning a corner.
what about liverpool's tactics against chelsea? they defended for almost every minute of the game. should they have been stopped? after all, they werent being constructive and going out for the next goal.
tell you what, lets eliminate defenders all together. and tackling. that way teams will be attacking all the time. we can speed it up too by having a shot-clock, 30 seconds to shoot or you lose the ball. and play it indoors, with cheerleaders. and give 3 goals for a shot outside the box. and...
I agree with you completely there, its just a defensive tactic, its not pritty but either is defensive football but it doesn't mean were going to outlaw that.

Da Real Rover
08/05/2005, 1:08 PM
At the Rovers-Kilkenny game last night the ball was hit out into touch because there was an injured player on the ground. The ball was hit out by a rovers player near the corner flag by our goals. Now when the player was back on his feet and Kilkenny had the throw they threw it into the box. They attacked the ball and came close to scoring. Cause this happened in the dying minutes they felt that they could get away with not playing fair and nearly snuck a point. This was an absolute disgrace by Pat Scullys team and the player responsible should get a slap on the wrist, if not by the FA then his own club because they should try to inforce some common decency into an already highly competitive game.

shedhead
08/05/2005, 1:19 PM
ya it was discraceful all right, if they did score from it i would of feared for Pat and co's safety.

EnDai
08/05/2005, 2:24 PM
Sounds disgraceful alright, just be thankful they didn't score.

mypost
09/05/2005, 4:47 AM

I don't regard defending an advantage as wasting time. It's perfectly acceptable. Passing the ball in defence/midfield, is different to aimlessly holding the ball (not playing) in the corner near the end of the game. As I have said earlier, it's frustrating even when your team does it, because you want a(nother) goal to make the game safe. Then you lose the ball, and if the opposition then go up and score, you really feel like a fool for keeping possesion instead of scoring, when you had the chance to. It's too late then.

Another example was the Crystal Palace-Southampton Premiership game. If you watched the last 20 minutes of it, you would have seen Palace just keeping the ball at the corner when leading 2-1, instead of looking to make it 3-1 and secure a vital win. Instead, Southampton went up the other end and equalized in injury time. Palace could have got the 2 extra points if they didn't waste time in the corner. It may well see them relegated as a result, costing them millions of pounds, and it was all unavoidable.

mypost
19/05/2005, 4:16 AM
Another example was the Crystal Palace-Southampton Premiership game. If you watched the last 20 minutes of it, you would have seen Palace just keeping the ball at the corner when leading 2-1, instead of looking to make it 3-1 and secure a vital win. Instead, Southampton went up the other end and equalized in injury time. Palace could have got the 2 extra points if they didn't waste time in the corner. It may well see them relegated as a result, costing them millions of pounds, and it was all unavoidable.

Palace were duly relegated, costing them £20 million in lost revenue. I'm sure that in the summer, they will look back and remember how much time they spent at the corner flag when leading against Southampton, wondering why they didn't look to make it 3-1, get their 3 points, and beat the drop. In the end, they got what they deserved. :mad:

Jim Smith
19/05/2005, 8:52 AM
In the end, they got what they deserved. :mad:
So there is no need to change the rule if they got what they deserved....

Copa Mundial
19/05/2005, 11:41 AM
Look,its as simple as this.When the ball is 'IN PLAY', the issue of time wasting is null and void irrespective of how much time you feel is being lost or how negative you feel the 'TACTIC' is.The issue of time wasting only occurs when the ball is out of play or in the goalkeepers hands(6 second rule)and thats only enforced when keepers are really taking the ****.

Time wasting is covered in the 'laws of the game' and there are no provisions for the ball being kept in the corner.I bet referees hate the 'ball in the corner' tactic as well but they cant do anything about it.

Suggestion.If you feel that strongly about it then put it in writing to:
Mr Joseph S. Blatter,
FIFA,
Hitzigweg 11,
P.O Box 85,
8030 Zurich,Switzerland. :mad:

mypost
16/06/2005, 4:17 AM
Palace were duly relegated. I'm sure that in the summer, they will look back and remember how much time they spent at the corner flag when leading against Southampton, wondering why they didn't look to make it 3-1, get their 3 points, and beat the drop.

Palace player Andy Johnson admitted on tv recently that he feels "devastated" that his side were relegated. Well Andy, if you're battling to beat the drop again, hopefully you won't spend the last 20 minutes of your final home game again camped at the opposition's corner flag, trying to time-waste your way to 3 points instead of looking to go 2 goals ahead, which would have kept you up. You knew that Southampton only needed one chance to equalize, and sure enough they did. Sorry Andy, but it's hard to have much sympathy for a bunch of time-wasters who got caught out. Enjoy the Championship!