PDA

View Full Version : FAI petition

exile
07/04/2005, 10:52 PM
just came across this on the city official site its is a petition to get the names on the Irish soccer teams jersey's to be changed to Irish i.e "Éire vs. An Fhrainc" petition just wondering do people agree with it, apparently if the FAI get 10,000 names they will change it

petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/sacair/)

supasparx
07/04/2005, 11:03 PM
Sounds good to me, i've signed.

sligoman
07/04/2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah, the guy who set it up was on Pat Kenny on Radio one this afternoon.

eirebhoy
07/04/2005, 11:20 PM
It looks like its being abused. :) Have a look at the last few entries.

No doubt its someone on here as the "Bush Wins Ohio" sigs are being added by the second. :rolleyes:

Cowboy
07/04/2005, 11:53 PM
i've signed

Closed Account 2
08/04/2005, 2:06 AM
Dont agree with it, its a half measure, having some stuff in one language and other stuff in another wont work. It will look messed up having that text under a badge saying "FA Ireland". But I cant say its an issue that concerns me too much.

However, I'd sign any petition to remove the EIRCOM logo from shirts that are sold (or even if it was to be made smaller, put in a less prominant place; or if there were 2 shirts for sale, a cheaper EIRCOM one and a more expensive blank one)

onenilgameover
08/04/2005, 5:19 AM
Signed but I wouldn't be real disappointed if it didn't happen. quite pleased that they put them there in the first place though. as it means that those who collect or players that swap know what match the shirt comes from. I admit half irish half english might look a bit half arsed.

pete
08/04/2005, 8:59 AM
Online petitions should never be used for anything serious. Nothing to stop me signing 1000 names myself if i was sad enough.

noby
08/04/2005, 9:06 AM
Could the same not be said for any petition?

Although most on-line petitions and polls are usually abused

republic
08/04/2005, 9:57 AM
However, I'd sign any petition to remove the EIRCOM logo from shirts that are sold (or even if it was to be made smaller, put in a less prominant place; or if there were 2 shirts for sale, a cheaper EIRCOM one and a more expensive blank one)

Now, *that* is a petition I most definitely would sign. It is amazing that Irish supporters simply cannot buy a replica national team jersey. I don't see other national team shirts spoiled with sponsor's names splashed across the front. Why are we different?

jbyrne
08/04/2005, 10:04 AM
the captains armband should be in Irish also. think i saw a photo once where roy was wearing an armband that had been altered to say "captaen" rather than captain

thejollyrodger
08/04/2005, 10:20 AM
totally back the idea to have ireland in irish and have an irish captain's armband. Its the least the FAI muppets can.

maybe a few emails sent around with everyone on your mailing list might get the numbers up. Its only 10k signature required.

elroy
08/04/2005, 10:36 AM
The proper translation of Ireland is Eireann, not Eire thats what the English call us. So if they are gonna change it to anything, change it to Eireann.
Im all for patriotism and remembering our traditions and past etc but do these sort of things really matter anymore.
Of more importance to me is the flag and the anthem and then of course the win.

cullenswood
08/04/2005, 10:53 AM
The proper translation of Ireland is Eireann, not Eire thats what the English call us.

The constitution says that the name of the state is Eire, or in the English language, Ireland.

Lionel Ritchie
08/04/2005, 10:57 AM

Testifah Edmundo!!!!

I believe the dutch have exactly such a system where you can buy one with their sponsor (Oranje Telekom??) for near half the price of the regular shirt.

I think our replica shirt situation is nothing short of a disgrace. We should have a poll about that one.
It is not what the FAIs marketing folks would call a legitimate "seam of revenue". We are the only team in UEFA whos fans cannot buy their teams current shirt without a sponsors logo.

It is a vulgar abuse and exploitation of the loyalty of the supporters and until somethings done about it -the good people at Toffs will be getting my money for Ireland replica shirts.

As for the Eire thing -yeah why not. I'm all for using the cupla focail wherever possible and i see nothing wrong with any bilingualisms involved.

I'd actually much prefer if we used CPhE rather than FAI too for that matter.
I think CPhE could look much classier and could take on the instant recognition factor of KNVB -where you're damned if you know what it means but you know damn well who it relates to.

Éanna
08/04/2005, 11:30 AM
Why? I love the Irish language and everything, but this is utterly tokenistic bull****. The fact that the Irish language is in danger of dying will not be solved by cosmetic changes like this, designed to soothe people's consciences

Bald Student
08/04/2005, 11:45 AM
this is utterly tokenistic I don't agree, they're representing the country, they should do that as much as is possible through the national language.

P.S. Éireann is the genitive case for Éire so it would be correct to use Éire on the shirts.

Eire06
08/04/2005, 11:48 AM
Why? I love the Irish language and everything, but this is utterly tokenistic bull****. The fact that the Irish language is in danger of dying will not be solved by cosmetic changes like this, designed to soothe people's consciences

Slightly True but every little helps.... Won't do any harm

Lionel Ritchie
08/04/2005, 12:05 PM

No more or less a cosmetic excercise than for example wearing predominantly green when predominantly white or even predominantly orange might stand out more.

Schumi
08/04/2005, 12:06 PM
Further to this I believe that all communication from the bench to players and between players during the game should be in Irish.

elroy
08/04/2005, 1:10 PM
Lads whats the chances of gettin a petition together regarding the jerseys?
the eircom logo ruins whatever chances the jerseys have of being nice

thejollyrodger
08/04/2005, 1:12 PM
I would rather see Eire on the shirt than Ireland TBF. I cant see why anyone would not sign it.

I sent of a email with everyone on my contact list on it and an email to Newstalk 106FM :)

Cowboy
08/04/2005, 2:02 PM

I did not sign up to soothe my conscience and I resent your comment. Surely its a step in the right direction, the language is dying becuse its been taught the same way for years by intransigents.

As the chinese say " a journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"

Cowboy
08/04/2005, 2:04 PM
Further to this I believe that all communication from the bench to players and between players during the game should be in Irish.

perhaps you could give us a few examples ?

holidaysong
08/04/2005, 3:12 PM
How many of the 11 players will even know what it says... :rolleyes:

Éanna
08/04/2005, 3:14 PM
How many of the 11 players will even know what it says... :rolleyes:
We could get Franck Quedrue in to teach Clinton and Matt some Irish :D

holidaysong
08/04/2005, 3:22 PM
We could get Franck Quedrue in to teach Clinton and Matt some Irish :D

Tabhair dom an liathróid Clinton! :mad:

Póg mo thóin Matt. :p

Metrostars
08/04/2005, 3:29 PM
So if we're going to do "Eire" then we have to do "vs" or "versus" as well. Whats the irish for that?

They could write it in friggin Chinese or German just as long as they beat the french.

Plus getting that Eircom logo off the replica shirt is a bigger issue. I will never buy an official replica until they do so. OTOH, I can get my knock-off, Eircom-ad-free shirts from this guy in Thailand on Ebay for $20. I can't tell the difference between the official and his fakes.

Schumi
08/04/2005, 3:36 PM
perhaps you could give us a few examples ?
For example Kerr could say "Íosa Críost, Ó Sé" or "Suí síos Jason, níl tú ag dul ar an páirc anois" rather than the English versions.

Cowboy
08/04/2005, 5:12 PM
I will never buy an official replica until they do so. OTOH, I can get my knock-off, Eircom-ad-free shirts from this guy in Thailand on Ebay for $20. I can't tell the difference between the official and his fakes.

Can u PM me a URL for this please ?

Saint Tom
08/04/2005, 5:53 PM
versus would translate as "in adhaigh" or "i gcoinne". dont know how you'd get around that one!

The association should be know as Cumann Peile na hEireann. FAI even sounded different to FA. This FA Ireland crap is just a poor mimic of Lancaster Gate. The lack of bi-lingualism or attempt at encouraging the use of our native tongue at Landsdowne is sinful.

Superhoops
08/04/2005, 6:55 PM
... Plus getting that Eircom logo off the replica shirt is a bigger issue...
I believe that as part of their sponsorship deal with eircom re the FAI are contractually obliged to ensure that the manufacturers cannot produce replica shirts without this logo until 2010.

Bald Student
08/04/2005, 11:05 PM
Name one Irish sporting personality who would do the same.I could name a lot of GAA players but to save space I won't.

versus would translate as "in adhaigh" or "i gcoinne". It would but it's a latin word to begin with so you could use the word itself or a local translation, both would be correct.

Baker
12/04/2005, 11:23 AM
I think its a great idea to get this in Irish.

Im sure for the 1994 World Cup we had "Corann an Domhain USA '94" written below the badge(?).

Snoop Drog
14/04/2005, 12:01 AM
P.S. Éireann is the genitive case for Éire so it would be correct to use Éire on the shirts.

Pure tokenism. Jeez, I appears we all don't even know the name of the country in gaelic (tbh, I wasn't all that sure myself).

Regarding the eircom sponsorship on jerseys- If the FAI are contracted to keep the logo on the jersey, how about a fan campaign to somehow deface the logo. Reminds me of when either Reebok or HiTec (can't remember which) had a union jack on their logo (about 15 years ago), people used to get a black marker & colour out the union jack logo from their trainers. The jersey logo is much bigger but maybe someone could come up with an effective way to do something similar with jerseys.

onenilgameover
14/04/2005, 5:57 AM
Pure tokenism. Jeez, I appears we all don't even know the name of the country in gaelic (tbh, I wasn't all that sure myself).

Regarding the eircom sponsorship on jerseys- If the FAI are contracted to keep the logo on the jersey, how about a fan campaign to somehow deface the logo. Reminds me of when either Reebok or HiTec (can't remember which) had a union jack on their logo (about 15 years ago), people used to get a black marker & colour out the union jack logo from their trainers. The jersey logo is much bigger but maybe someone could come up with an effective way to do something similar with jerseys.

I was thinkin the same thing. You could get a transfer that covered the hole of the Eircom logo. Can't see it catchin on in a big way all the same. or you could get a tranfer to change the letters in some way maybe from EIRCOM to SMEAR CON.

ie........... To Smear.....To stain or attempt to destroy the reputation of;

stickyjoe
14/04/2005, 7:15 AM
as much as i hate the eircom logo on the jersey. the fact is it has to stay because of the sponsorship money it creates. and this is badly needed at all levels of irish football, particularly the grassroots(where we need it badly).

brine3
14/04/2005, 5:05 PM
We should change the names of the players to confuse the opposition. Catháino!

tonycuna
14/04/2005, 5:37 PM
Signed,
I'm totally agree with everything that can give more space to Gaelic!