PDA

View Full Version : Open it up or leave it IE?

Pages : [1] 2

dahamsta
22/02/2002, 12:48 PM
Although the membership is increasing slowly but surely, I'm a little concerned that unless it starts to take off soon, I'm going to be put in the eventual position of deciding whether it's really worth keeping the site running. It's no bother to me at the moment, but that in itself is troubling to me - it /should/ be a bother, it should be something I give a toss about.

So, I have a question for the membership: Should we continue tipping away as an exclusively Irish soccer site, i.e. aimed at the LOI and related community, or should we open the site up to all-comers with, to start, a Premiership forum?

I haven't set up a poll yet because I /know/ you will all click 'NO' as a matter of reflex, and that's not the reaction I want. I want you to think about this logically and carefully, as it's not just a matter of sticking with what you know and love, you have to think about the bigger picture too. For example, if we did open up the site to Irish Premiership fans, you will have the chance to try and convert them. And if the membership increases substantially, I will be able to invest in the site and improve it.

Again, please think carefully about this before you post a reaction. But please, /do/ post a reaction. If the reaction is "neah, I don't care, whatever", or even none at all, that lethargy is going to brush off on the Bosses, and I would prefer that not happen.

Once we get a bit of a reaction, I'll put it to a poll.

Discuss.

adam

Neil
22/02/2002, 1:42 PM
1. I don't think that having a 'Premiershi*' slot here would attract too many more visitors. Premiershi* 'supporters' aren't real football supporters - they don't really care about football or their local town. Hence they wouldn't be bothered coming on to a forum to talk about football. I might be completely wrong but most Premiershi* 'supporters' I know only follow that team out of a need to shout for someone in the pub.

2. It's possible that a lot of the members here at the moment would leave if there was a Chelsea or Charlton section underneath Cork City.

if we did open up the site to Irish Premiership fans, you will have the chance to try and convert them
I have enough arguements with friends and family about 'supporting' foreign teams. As I say, 'Irish Premiership fans' aren't knowledgable football people, and would not understand any type of attempt to 'convert' them.

I don't know, but, I'd be against it.

pete
22/02/2002, 1:59 PM
dunno.

Maybe a general Premiership section followed by sections for Spain & Italy etc.....?

At ;east that way we could fool ourslevs into a general football site.......?

dalo
22/02/2002, 2:13 PM
I didn't realise things were that bad. I did notice that most of the posters are CCFc fans rather than all - inclusive NL fans. hardly surprising I suppose given the small amount of people who watch NL Soccer.

Anyway regards opening up the forum to premiership suppporters I 'd be opposed. They ahve far too many sites as it is, many of which are dying on their feet anyway. Furthermore It could lead to the squeezing out of the Nl supporter and their views by our premiership friends who think they know better when they sit in front of the box.

Also foot.ie is a excellant if not the best forum I have ever used and while controversial this is surely one of it's things.

Therefore I am opposed to opening up the site to premiership football. if it is to be opened up then it should be to all other football leagues but only if it is not to the detriment of the NL and their fans. On the other hand I would be dissapointed to see it shut down because without a lot of us would really be in the dark.

My answer is a noto adam's proposal.

fosterdollar
22/02/2002, 2:38 PM
I would rather not see an over-dedication to a Premiership forum. But, having said that, there are problems that exist within the LOI relating to the whole idea of certain people not seeing past their own back yard. We've got to accept, as I know most do, that football is a global sport. It is unfair to say that posting opinions about other leagues in other places makes you less devoted to the eL.
I do like the idea of having just general forums on national leagues in various other countries.
As regards to voting, IMO (like most issues under debate these days) the wording needs to be changed. It's more like "kinda yeah, kinda no" at the moment for me.

dahamsta
22/02/2002, 2:51 PM
[None of the following should be seen as me being negative, or flaming. I'm just stating my opinion, and if I don't happen to agree with you, well, that's just what I'm saying. I'm unlikely to force my suggestions on anyone, I want Foot.ie to remains as democratic a site as possible, within the constraints of the financial burden I have to absorb.]

Neil said:

Premiershi* 'supporters' aren't real football supporters - they don't really care about football or their local town. Hence they wouldn't be bothered coming on to a forum to talk about football. I might be completely wrong but most Premiershi* 'supporters' I know only follow that team out of a need to shout for someone in the pub.

I think that's a bit... rash Neil. Ok, rash is a bad word, how about "exaggerated"? We all know that I'm certainly not the king of soccer, but I've heard people talking about Premiership soccer at break in work; in the pub when the TV's not on; and even walking along the street. To suggest that /all/ Permiership (sic) supporters are armchair supporters is illogical and extreme, it flies in the face of reality.

It's possible that a lot of the members here at the moment would leave if there was a Chelsea or Charlton section underneath Cork City.

I agree with this at least, although again, I think it's somewhat exaggerated. Chelsea or Charlton, if they required a separate forum at some time in the future, wouldn't be in the same section as Cork City, they would be in a Premiership section. That said, I would be worried at losing some of the current membership, but I also think we have to be realistic and face facts - there is only a small core of contributors on Foot.ie, and most of them are exclusively City fans. The site would be better off rebranded as a City forum in it's current state. And that's not an option.

I have enough arguements with friends and family about 'supporting' foreign teams. As I say, 'Irish Premiership fans' aren't knowledgable football people, and would not understand any type of attempt to 'convert' them.

Again, I think that's somewhat unfair to Premiership fans. Surely you can see why some footie fans would not /want/ to support the LOI? I mean, seriously, the quality of soccer, management and business affairs is shocking. I can understand your willingness to support Irish soccer - in fact I respect it - but it has to be said, there's good reason behind many people's choice not to.

I don't know, but, I'd be against it.

Well, if you're against it, you do know Neil. :)

pete said:

Maybe a general Premiership section followed by sections for Spain & Italy etc.....? At ;east that way we could fool ourslevs into a general football site.......?

Again, I'm concentrating on the Premiership at the moment. To be clear, I'm not talking about opening the site up to Everything Soccer right now, I'm talking about the possibility of adding /one/ forum, "The Premiership", to the General section. Any advancement would be reliant on the success or failure of that forum. Also, it's important to point out that I have no considered plan to open up the site as a "general football site" at this time. The site would remain a resource and community for /Irish/ soccer fans, nothing more. It would just be extended into a site for Irish fans of soccer, as against fans of Irish soccer, if you catch my drift.

dalo said:

I didn't realise things were that bad. I did notice that most of the posters are CCFc fans rather than all - inclusive NL fans. hardly surprising I suppose given the small amount of people who watch NL Soccer.

Things aren't "bad" dalo, I'm just a bit ticked off at the slow growth of this site. It was intended from the off to be a resource for fans of Irish soccer, however it remains almost exclusively a resource for fans of Cork soccer. IMHO, that's not good enough, it doesn't cover the goals we set out to achieve.

Anyway regards opening up the forum to premiership suppporters I 'd be opposed. They ahve far too many sites as it is, many of which are dying on their feet anyway.

I would say that those sites aren't like this site though.

Furthermore It could lead to the squeezing out of the Nl supporter and their views by our premiership friends who think they know better when they sit in front of the box.

I genuinely can't see the LOI fans been squeezed out by anybody. For one, the average LOI fan on the site is well able to defend him or herself; for two, there will be a natural separation anyway; and for three, we could see some excellent debate arise out of it.

Also foot.ie is a excellant if not the best forum I have ever used and while controversial this is surely one of it's things.

What's controversial about it? Only controversial thing I've seen is my booting of Gerry and James. James is back, and I don't think Gerry bears a grudge. The compliment is appreciated though.

Therefore I am opposed to opening up the site to premiership football. if it is to be opened up then it should be to all other football leagues but only if it is not to the detriment of the NL and their fans.

Well, I can see your point, but I reckon it'd be a bit icky to open up a "Non-Irish Soccer" forum.

On the other hand I would be dissapointed to see it shut down because without a lot of us would really be in the dark.

I have no immediate plans to shut down the site, I have no immediate /need/ to shut down the site. But it remains an option.

adam

Xlex
22/02/2002, 2:53 PM
I agree with all of the above and in addition to that........

Given the certain similarities our league have with the Irish League, is there anyway you could market this site for Northern Irish supporters and host forums on either league side by side. I think a sizeable IL support would enable this site to grow significantly. There are alot of IL supporters on www.footballforums.com (vbulletin board) and there is clearly not enough of attention paid to them there, and so an easily available membership to take you to the next level...

pete
22/02/2002, 3:04 PM
There us no doubt Adam that foot.ie would have almost all the online general league debating if it weren't for the JWs message board. Notwork54 are flakey to the say the least at the best of times but people like to have the option of posting anonymously so that'all probably stay for now.....

If there was to be Premiership section how would you be looking to bring that to the attention of the bar stool brigade?

The thought of sections for Derby & Ipwich ain't exactely appealing to me but i can live with a general section.

I suppose with summer football 'n all on the way the eL is looking more at co-existing with the Premiership than taking on head to head so maybe theres scope for converting some bar stoolers.

Neil
22/02/2002, 3:05 PM
Imagine if there were Premiershi* lovers on here blowing their hole about how great the English game is and putting down the National League, and then going on to say $eltic are a great Irish team and that Rangers are Huns and 'C'mon Oirland, let's beat them Brits'!

I wouldn't last a day without being booted out!

A face
22/02/2002, 3:30 PM
I would have voted "No" on the poll, but i am giving it some thought.

The problem = Not enough traffic.

The objective = To get more traffic.

A question = Is opening the forum to the kinda of traffic a good or bad thing, i seriously think you'll never really know until you do it. You can talk about City fans being fickle, but premiereshi* fans are worse, that you can take as gospel. At first, they would have a field day, (That i'd have no problem with, just give me sometime to get my ammo together and it would be guns a blazin', only if they start first though .... of course :D ) but then you might get some of actually getting involved in debate, which is good.

I think we should look at the sections that are not gettnig that many hits and see what could be done with them, off the top of my head.

1. Try to get supporters from those clubs to be moderators, they would have all the gossip and know all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

2. Allow pics, This might not seem like a big factor but if you were to think multi-media, visual aids and a picture has a thousand words. I dunno ... might brighten up the place a bit. I personally would love to see it.

3. Are people aware of the forum, all the Corkies are and Longford fans and a few more, but if people dont know it is there we have to tell them, i dont know how to do this but maybe approaching the clubs might help.

4. Is there an "NLU" thing in the north. I would love to hear more about what is happening up there, could we have someone up there moderate that section, And with the world cup coming up could we have more content in the National Team section.

5. How about tables and fixtures, and info about where the cup draws selections are on and when (i know it is in Dublin always but feic it) NLU meetings, Supporters club meeting and any other events. The calanders is done very well but lads to be honest, i dont really care when ye have your birthdays, if you are in the pub i'll buy you a pint but i ain't going looking on the calander for it.

That is my tupence, give me some more time and i'll write a bit more. It has started out as a good thread, hope no-one messes it up.

Adam ..... how about all the members met up and thrash out a few ideas, i know i didn't get to the last one but there are a lot more now. (i know i know ... any excuse to have a beer) :D

Macy
22/02/2002, 3:38 PM
I see where you're coming from, but the problem is changing people's habits of use. If you take the LTFC website - the message board gets largely ignored, with most people posting on the guestbook.
The logging in maybe a problem, cos when I suggested it Johnny's site I got eaten out of it. The fact that Johnny's board is/has been the standard bearer in terms of general discussion - maybe a bit more tack with regard to JW's site when phootball was set-up may have helped when as he appeared to be considering having his board on here.... (I also see where you were coming from at the time, but that would've been a big boost).
Maybe you should be targeting the people who run the unofficial message boards of the other clubs - for what it's worth this is the unofficial Town message board, but if you could persuade the likes of Pats, Derry, Bohs and Rovers unofficial websites to use this site then I think you have problem solved.

Macy
22/02/2002, 3:44 PM
Forgot to say I'm not in favour of opening up the site to the premiership.....
1) I don't think there are the numbers
2) 'Their' forums would decend it farcical unknowlegable arguements (even worse than ours!)
3) Look how annoying the likes of Del and various Carlisle fans have been on the Bohs/JW message board.
4) Re 3 - they would just start annoying us on the eL forums.
5) They're a load of west brit w@nkers ;)

Neil
22/02/2002, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by Macy
I see where you're coming from, but the problem is changing people's habits of use.

The logging in maybe a problem

Maybe you should be targeting the people who run the unofficial message boards of the other clubs - if you could persuade the likes of Pats, Derry, Bohs and Rovers unofficial websites to use this site then I think you have problem solved.
Good points. The logging in bit probablt stops a lot of people.

Obviously the hope that each set of supporters would decide to use foot.ie as their main forum has not worked, so Plan B would surley be to try and coax and convince message board moderators into using foot.ie and also to try and attract the users of each forum.

Users will probably not change their habits though unless they have to (ie. City fans losing a Red Boys msg board and then going to the previous variations of this), so the moderators of each clubs message boards would have to be talked to with regard a 'link'. I think....

pete
22/02/2002, 4:18 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Users will probably not change their habits though unless they have to (ie. City fans losing a Red Boys msg board and then going to the previous variations of this), so the moderators of each clubs message boards would have to be talked to with regard a 'link'. I think....

So its agreed. Start the Denial of Service attacks on Notworks54 & all the users will coming flooding over to foot.ie

;)

Neil
22/02/2002, 4:24 PM
Would there ever be a possibilty of JW using foot.ie as his forum? That is where all the traffic is.

It would make for a lively Forum if all from JW's and all from here were to use the same one.

Macy
22/02/2002, 4:40 PM
Interestingly, Johnny's just put the el.net message board stat's up - hardly reading this thread.......

stats (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=91456&messageid=1014395415)

btw Adam, not really trying to compare, or criticise or anything - just trying to aid the discussion and be helpful (I actually far prefer the format of this board....)

A face
22/02/2002, 5:02 PM
You would be taking a serious Kick@ss forum one one of the best around.

Only the best is what we deserve though !! :cool:

I'd be interested in our Northern friends coming over aswell.
They must must be way out in the dark i'd say. They have nothing like this or JW. from what i have seen they are all over the place.

Zedi
22/02/2002, 7:23 PM
Open it up! Football forums which is run by Irish league supporters is pretty good. You can see that all the forums are in use and I think they have a few thou members, although I must admit I packed it in through sectarian hate mail I recieved. But you do get a lot of different supporters (E.L, I.L, S.P.L,and all english leagues) commenting on the others, good bad or indifferent.
E.G......I posted on an all Ireland cup, and got a thread going for a month, contributers were from all over Ireland.....Scotland...Wales....and England.
P.S....... I think thats where the sect' abuse started!

Schumi
22/02/2002, 7:56 PM
I don't think anyone would have a problem with an Irish League club section. Whether anyone would use it is another thing, the IL board isn't exactly over-flowing with posts at the moment. I think that getting current club MBs to relocate may be a good idea but wasn't that tried with Pats to no avail?

Trying to expand the Irish club bits would be better before looking to add an English or European element.

dahamsta
22/02/2002, 9:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments folks, keep 'em coming...

adam

tressonisgod
23/02/2002, 8:47 PM
I'm not a regular visitor here but here's my opinion anyway. If you open the site to Irish Premiership 'fans' (i.e. barstool Sky fans) then I'm completely outta here. You won't convert one of those people to our League through a Message Board. Look at JW's Board- the traffic is huge. Now why is that?.... :confused:

wws
24/02/2002, 1:04 PM
Its a difficult decision. Opening up sections of foot.ie to accommodate discussion of English clubs and leagues will bring in extra traffic (exactly how much extra I couldn't say) but it will kill stone dead this site's unique selling point.

As someone who helps to maintain an unnofficial site I tried to get this (the pats section of foot.ie) established as the main Pats message board but I underestimated the individual strength of the individual unnofficial sites........to their own online support base on the web the Independent Saints site, the Joe De Hoops site, the DCFC Online, Neil Mulvey's Bohs site etc, etc, etc, etc are much stronger 'brands' (for want of a better word) in the minds of their own supporters than a catch all site.

Also in relation to the comments above on Johnny Wards site, his success has been painstakingly built up over time, hell of a lot of hard work and unpaid for man hours, and its unfair to suggest that he should just chuck all that work away and hand it over to a new site, I think foot.ie have acknowledged all this already and I'm referring to the suggestions above rather than to any statements by foot.ie on that matter, so that's a non-runner in fairness.

On a more positive note Adam and more in keeping with the site's uniqueness as a distinctly "Irish football community" why don't you look into the possibility of creating Supporter Club message boards for genuine die hard supporters of these UK teams.......there are hundreds of people who take planes and ferries over each week.....they all have Cork/Dublin and rural based supporter Club Branches...........maybe facilitate some of these supporters clubs with forums for an existing Irish based active supporters club of one of these UK sides........with the amount of travel arrangements to be sorted in getting to Brit games from here it might be a unique and popular forum for these type of people............I think this type of forum would somehow be less offensive to National League fans than open club forums with w&nkers from Ireland telling us how Barnsley were ace last night on Sky tv..........

being realistic you can't ignore the amount that travel over but cater for these genuine types, no matter how deluded their dedication to the brits, rather than the type who "follow" their club on sky tv from an armchair or a bar stool in Ireland.......

just my thoughts on the matter

as a last suggestion FOR THE EXISTING FANSB try to offer the NL club fans....not just cork....some service that they CANNOT get in any other form on the web......maybe you'll say you already have but its debateable......some new idea that would make the foot.ie essential is whats needed..............NO I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT IS OR MIGHT BE!

Patsys Fags
24/02/2002, 10:47 PM
For gods sake dont pollute foot with the premiership!!!!!! Dont mind about opening up foot to northern supporters though. It might help introduce some sort of all-Ireland cup competition and help the peace process up north

James
24/02/2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Patsys Fags
help the peace process up north

ehh :confused:

searcher
25/02/2002, 9:57 AM
I'm not sure if someone would have made this point alrady or not. I understand why certain people would want this site to stay exclusively Irish Football but I also understand how hard it is to "grow" a website and the opening up to something like the premiership and other leagues would definitely bring a boost. My point is though, these people who just blindly say no, seem (in my opinion anyway), very similar to a certain sporting organisation unwilling to share it's ground with a so-called "foreign" sport.

Ruairi
25/02/2002, 10:13 AM
Being honest I don't think a Premiership forum would be any harm at all. If die-hard EL fans disagree with it, then all they have to do is not click on the link that says "premiership". I think it would be a good way to increase traffic, because there's a helluva load of Premiership fans in Ireland. How often do you see somone walking down the road in a City/Boez/Shams/$h€l$/Ramblers (okay I'm taking the urine there) jersey? Then think of the amount of people you see with united/Liverpool/Arsenal/Leeds tops. Hell I'm in college now and the guy next to me's wearing a Blackburn top. I think a Premiership forum would make a lot of sense, I don't see why you shouldn't Adam

Macy
25/02/2002, 4:52 PM
Also in relation to the comments above on Johnny Wards site, his success has been painstakingly built up over time, hell of a lot of hard work and unpaid for man hours, and its unfair to suggest that he should just chuck all that work away and hand it over to a new site, I think foot.ie have acknowledged all this already and I'm referring to the suggestions above rather than to any statements by foot.ie on that matter, so that's a non-runner in fairness.

wws, I was referring to when this site started, and Johnny actually suggested the message board moving over, and there was some discussions between Johnny and Adam..... or maybe too many of my brain cells have disappeared through excess drink, and I am just imagining it (which is quite possible...)

Éanna
25/02/2002, 4:54 PM
i would be very slow to post anything other than abuse on a site with premiershi* fans. sorry, but there's no group of people in ireland who i find more repulsive than those barstool jockeys

James
25/02/2002, 5:09 PM
yea now Adam if you were to introduce a Celtic section.. I mean Celtic are Oirish so the premiership bashers couldnt find fault with that :D

mouldymurphy
25/02/2002, 7:22 PM
how about a forum for court cases shels/pats/longford and bohs fans could surely keep it going :D

A face
25/02/2002, 11:48 PM
My understanding in the suggestion for Johnny to use this site was that it would be a link from his site to this via the message board link and that discussion would take place here instead of Notwork54.

That i would be in favour of, Johnnys site is THE best for news and opinion of the fans and a very useful resource for us all. The articles written are second to none and reflect what is actually happening on the ground in our game compared to any other print/web media and pretty much any other media source too. That (for me anyway) is not being contested at all, everyone is aware of the quality that eircomleague.net produces.

But you have to admit this is a kick@ss forum !!

IMHO if the two site linked/teamed up/whatever you want to call it, it would most definitely be the best site on the net. The best news, info and opinion section as well as everything else. AND have the best forum, one that works well and one that could be so much more. It would definitely give every other site right now a run for their money if not knock them clear out of the running.

Macy
26/02/2002, 9:31 AM
That's what I meant, A Face, even if that wasn't how it came across...... Must read through my posts more before actually posting them...... :rolleyes:

patsh
26/02/2002, 9:56 AM
I would have to go against the idea of having premiership stuff on this site, for two reasons.
1. I only found this site a few weeks ago, yet have found it to be the most interesting and lively site about soccer I have come across in ages. My interest is in the eL , and I have no real interest in Man Utd etc. etc. UK soccer is well served with sites already. Plus, as far as I can tell, a soccer match "experience" for most of these fans is a trip to the local pub, and has never actually involved standing or sitting at an actual game, with weather, no instant replays and no "expert" to tell you what happened and what you should think about the game. This is not what I consider being a supporter entails.
2. The other problem would be that a lot of discussions would have contributions from these premiership fans, that would simply be stupid, ignorant attacks on the eL . Then instead of having discussions about things that really matter to Cork City, $hels, Longford etc. fans, most people would feel they have to defend the eL , and most postings would end up as a discussion on the el itself.
I realise you are looking for an increase in traffic but,
This is a great site, and don't try to fix what is not broken ..... :p

Neil
26/02/2002, 2:42 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
instead of having discussions about things that really matter to Cork City, $hels, Longford etc. fans, most people would feel they have to defend the eL , and most postings would end up as a discussion on the el itself.

This is an important point I think.

dahamsta
26/02/2002, 3:05 PM
Isn't that kind of the point of having separate forums for the clubs though lads? Keeping forums on-topic is the responsibility of the mods...

Again, thanks for all the feedback folks. I'm going to save the comments now, go offline, go through them, and post a response this afternoon. If you have anything to add, feel free.

adam

James
26/02/2002, 3:19 PM
no premiership stuff would be my pref..
IMO would develop into a el V prem bashing contest which i would get dragged into and speaking for my boss i dont think twould be a good idea, productivity wise.... but the hits/traffic would go through the roof, if that what u want.... due to hte excellant layout and features of the vBulletin boards..

Pablo
26/02/2002, 4:02 PM
it certainly worth a link to the EL site if that was possoble....increasing the EL users should be the way to go. This forum is far superior to any other EL forums so that should be the way to go

As for premiershi* no. please no.

Snatch
26/02/2002, 10:55 PM
I am opposed to opening the forum up to foreign leagues for reasons other than prejudice.

1. There are already well established foreign league forums. I can't see this one drawing a great crowd.

2. It is the best EL forum around and the good news should be spread to other EL fans around the country, not fans of foreign teams.

Expansion would be great but eircom league expansion is best.

Keep up the good work foot.ie :)

Neil
27/02/2002, 12:40 AM
Adam,
Take 'goalside'. That is what you would have to put up with in large amounts if you opened this up to Premiershi* "supporters". T'would be like a scene from 'One flew over the Cuckoo Nest' after a while!

Troy.McClure
27/02/2002, 11:26 AM
Im not too sure if I want a Premiership forum here, but I would love a Champions League & a UEFA Cup one. I dont think that a Priemeria Lega or Seria A forum would work very well, because in general people only know a few teams well enough in each league to have a good discusion, and seeing as most of those teams play in the Champions League or the Uefa Cup, Id say no to the Premiership, and yes to the Champions League.

Have a nice day everyone :)

JW.
27/02/2002, 4:15 PM
No doubt about it: this is a kick-ass forum. It is easy to use and at the same time, loaded with extras.

I stated my reservations about going into bed with foot.ie before. In an ideal world, the club sections from this site would be used by all websites of that particular club. That didn't happen. I didn't want to **** off unofficial club website editors who took pride in the liveliness of their forums.

At the minute, network54 is bringing in pop-ups, and I hate them - as does everyone I suppose - so this might result in some changes.

I would be completely against having a Premiership section of this website. It would be a waste in any case: the amount of members you would lose would be greater than the number of new users. Remember: there are hardly any Premiership sites designed by Irish people. That says much about their so-called support.

Having an Irish League section is very interesting though, and something that I would be in favour of: it could produce extremely interesting debates, would educate both sets of supporters on the other League and would possible encourage the prospect of an all-Ireland League.

RamblersWeb
27/02/2002, 4:39 PM
could you ask each website editor to put a link from thgeir MESSAGE BOARDS to this one - the network 54 boards allow this.... I have one on the Ramblers Web message board so you can click straight into the Ramblers message board here on foot.ie

Glen

http://www.isfa.com/server/web/cobh/index.html

James
27/02/2002, 4:48 PM
glenn you use Network 54..and given the relaibility (or lack of ) of that, why not use this forum as the ramlers one.. i'm sure youd be able to moderate it as you do the existing one..

just curious as to your thoughts on this ?

RamblersWeb
01/03/2002, 4:43 PM
i would if....

there wasn't the necessity for a log-in; it inhibits some people from leaving comments in my opinion

glen

James
01/03/2002, 4:52 PM
fair point about the logins.., but would you not think that incessant pop-ups and the increasing amount of Network 54 downtime would be an even bigger inhibater.. to potential members/posters..

dahamsta
01/03/2002, 5:20 PM
Give me three valid reasons why there shouldn't be logins.

adam

Jim Smith
01/03/2002, 5:47 PM
As a follower of Scottish football in its broadest sense I know that I wouldn't come here to disscuss my beloved Honest Men - not because of any fault with foot.ie but because I already use rivals.net and don't see any need to change. Now I know that I'm a wee bit different from an Irish Premiership 'fan' (being neither Irish nor a follower of the English game) but I honestly wonder just how many people you would atract by opening up the forums in this way? Would I leave if you did? No, I'd just ignore the forums that didn't interest me (as I tend to do now).

The European Competions idea was a good one.

On the subject of logins, I think that they are a big plus. If I'm going to say something I'll put my name to it.

pete
01/03/2002, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by RamblersWeb
i would if....

there wasn't the necessity for a log-in; it inhibits some people from leaving comments in my opinion

glen

I'm sure Certain people have many aliases for posting here anyway not to mention the people setting up accounts for just 1 post.

Not that I know anyone you know, just what I heard........

;)

dahamsta
01/03/2002, 5:51 PM
I'm sure Certain people have many aliases for posting here anyway not to mention the people setting up accounts for just 1 post.

Or 0 posts. Never did understand that...

adam

pete
01/03/2002, 6:04 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari

Or 0 posts. Never did understand that...

I can't remember but do you need to reply to the mail sent to your address to get started? If so then 0 posts = spurious mail addy?